EDH/Commander General

"New Play-toy" Edition

Previously: (Cross-thread)

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
Build anything new that you're excited to play for the first time at the next game night?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ride-the-lightning-thraximundar/
mtggoldfish.com/deck/591294#paper
starcitygames.com/article/34751_What-If-Banned-As-A-Commander-Came-Back.html
mtggoldfish.com/deck/617480#paper
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Build anything new that you're excited to play for the first time at the next game night?
WORT SPELLSLINGER I need to stop building spellslinger decks

>Build anything new that you're excited to play for the first time at the next game night?
Just putting the finishing touches on Kruphix with a side order of clones. A friend of mine is coming back into town and he's bringing Daretti with him. Time to show him the new deck.

>Thread question
No, still working on my Sapling deck. I Had to replace tires on my mother's car.
Maybe in May I'll be able to finish it.

Patrician taste, welcome to the Gruul Science Consortium

still would like cool creature suggestions for feldon

Dragons. Just lots of dragons.

Hell yes my nigga

Wort is best spellslinger, nothing else compares

I'm a big fan of Myr Battlesphere but that's pretty obvious. Sandstone Oracle is a fun one to dump your hand then draw a bunch off of. Solemn Simalcrum is another obvious one. Treasure Keeper for value, depending on deck content.

Dragons are pretty tight

Also, Magus of the Wheel is rad for that instant-speed hand dump

Invader Parasite, that one dragon that cycles your hand for X cards where X is damage you dealt this turn and Dragon Mage to fill grave.

Speaking of Feldon, how does Scrap Trawler interacts with his clones?

Thanks my dudes, hopefully I'll be able to do as much SCIENCE! with Wort as I do with Mizzix/Melek. I don't want to do semi-goblin tribal, so I'll jam as much other types of tokens I can.

How do monored players get around containment-like effects?

>time at the next game night?
DRALNU

The LabMan wincon is going to make my group so mad

The clones have the CMC of whatever you reanimate so you pull something with less CMC than the clone from your grave when it dies, since it's also an artifact.

I'm pretty sure(?)

Does anyone know who the voice actress for the Magic DotP 2015 tutorial was? That voice almost makes up for having to play the tutorial.

Ramp like a fucking maniac and crap out enormous X spells. Gelatinous Genesis and Fireballs can fuck people up. The nice thing about Wort over Melek is that you don't have to do nearly as much topdeck manipulation

Yeah, Working on a Karametra deck build around combing off with bounce creatures and cast effects. also got an atraxa deck that will be built never unless i stop being poor.

Has anyone tried Muzzio? He seems cool.

They're not close to being finished yet, but I'm working on getting the pieces I need for Ghoulcaller Gisa Devotion Zombie Tribal and Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim Cleric Tribal.

Dudes with good ETBs man.

Muzzio is basically Daretti but without the cool ass artifact recursion and more tutors. TLDR more consistent but more boring and predictable as a result

I have a Muzzio deck. I like it well enough, but I'm missing some cards to really push it over the top. Mainly I'm not running enough big bomby dudes. I have what I would consider nearly perfect mana rocks and it lets me ramp faster than the decks that run green that are in our playgroup.

The tokens are often incidental from my experience, they can become your win condition with a well-timed Overrun or whatever but otherwise I find myself just using them as conspire fodder.
Big X spells after conspiring a Mana Geyser or a Battle Hymn is honestly the most fun way I've gone nuclear on the table.
Valakut Packages and ramp also an option, Harvest Season from Amonkhet looks baller for that.
A Throne of the God-Pharaoh is a nice way to make your token count matter, however.

I had a feeling that that was the case. Consistent, but not as gnarly as Daretti. I don't like planeswalkers though, so I felt like Muzzio would be a nice enough replacement without going for Arcum Dagsson.

>I felt like Muzzio would be a nice enough replacement without going for Arcum Dagsson
Arcum Dagsson is way more boring than Muzzio IMO. I usually see those decks just tutor out the same combo pieces every game.

I'm working on a Brago deck. I don't have the pieces to make him really degenerate, but I wanna give it a shot nonetheless. Won't be ready for Friday, though.

I'm also considering options for a Hapatra deck, because I like the idea of slinging around -1/-1 counters, but it seems too easy to go infinite with her and make an arbitrary amount of snakes.

Looking for some input on this. Main win conditions involve getting Thrax big and swinging face, poison ballista shenanigans, chandra's ignition with infect, and other such things.

The only issue is that I don't think I have enough creatures/token generation for a sac outlet. Any advice?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ride-the-lightning-thraximundar/

What should my Black/White split look like for Teysa, Orzhov Scion?

mark my words: one of the tribal decks will be bears

I want my jund goblin, Wizard

MY GODDAMN JUND GOBLIN

Shattergang brothers exist user...

Politics, great deck or the greatest?

I'm hoping for Rats.

Look, I love shattergang brothers. I really do. I'm a stax player.

But Shattergang isn't a jund goblin commander.

>thread question
I've built Lovisa Coldeyes because the new art is cool and I've never gone full aggro before. Should be fun.

>colors: BRG
>type: goblin
??

I shelled out 50 bucks for this dude and I still don't know how to build him.

Card looks great though

I have to agree. Every time I try to make a Jund Goblins list, I feel compelled not to waste Shattergang's effect, and all of a sudden I've built Shattergang Brothers, not Jund Goblins.

bruh you should have waited for the new one around the corner, or gotten a better Grixis commander at least.

He's a planeswalker card now so there's no point.

Also I have a sneaking suspicion new Bolas is going to be 5 color

They might make him like Freyalise and let you use him anyway. And I really hope not, removing Bolas's Grixis identity would be disappointing.

They refuse to do that.

Why would he be 5 colored when the card in Aether Revolt alluding to him was Grixis colors?

Alesha hatebears with a little burn thrown in for funsies. I also want to build a Temmet deck for shits and giggles, even if Temmet is better as part of the 99.

Mostly because of this land, it's mana fixing for 5 colors, and it ominously has Bolas Horns in the background.

Seems like foreshadowing to me, I really hope I'm wrong

They won't even give us 3 color gods, why would they give us a 5 color Bolas?

Look at Dark Intimations, it states Bolas planeswalker by name and is Grixis

Kaervek taxes and ramp, no idea what to work on next but I dismantled yidris for being a shit deck so maybe Wort or Phenax

I don't know why WoTC does anything anymore

Except a ton of things have Bolas horns because Bolas horns is a theme in the art design of Amonkhet.

Look, Approach of the Second Son is mono-white and has Bolas horns, Bolas is mono-white now!

Should I buy a tropical Island for my Edric deck? It's like $250 CAD for MP.

Get a Chinaman copy, $2~ and you will barely tell the difference

Only if you are buying it in person. Be sure to bring a Jewelers loupe and some experience.

Fakes have gotten a LOT better recently, light test and bend test no longer work, it's just the rosettes on the better fakes.

If you don't care that your card could be fake spend 2$ on a Chinaman version and beat the fuck outta that shit, water damage it a bit, and it will be nearly impossible to tell apart from the real thing except under loupe.

Wurmcoil engine is pure value town, back in 2014 that deck was super worth it just for daretti and wurmcoil

Any lurking Phenax players? I got thinking about Paradox Engine earlier and realized it could do stuff with him, I'm just wondering if it's as silly fun as it sounds, whether it's self-milling into Lab Man or just milling the shit out of everyone on the table.

Rolled 5, 2, 5 = 12 (3d6)

Rolling for my next color identity, WUBRGC.

>Simic Cancer
Good job user

It's not cancer if RNG decided : ^)

>Mostly because of this land, it's mana fixing for 5 colors, and it ominously has Bolas Horns in the background.
You nig nog do realise that under each waterfall is the statue of mono colored god?
And there happens to be 5 mono colored gods in the set.

Friend of mine has a Phenax deck, a WALL deck of all things. Has ways to make them indestructible, tap/untap etc.
Its fucking bonkers when he taps a few walls and mills half of someone's deck.

I'm looking to build something Orzhov (haven't settled on a commander) can anyone give me ideas for unexpected stuff that'll fit with extorting?
Best example I can give is Cleansing, which I just discovered yesterday.

This is not an honest test user. There's far too much redundancy in the favor of non-tricolor, even though tricolor makes up almost 40% of the options.

If you wanna be fair, number all the possible pairs and then get an RNG to roll a number from 1 to 26.

Tell him to get Eater of the Dead
Or don't
It's your asshole on the line

Rolled 9 (1d26)

1 Colorless, 2 White, 3 Blue, 4 Black, 5 Red, 6 Green, 7 Azorius, 8 Orzhov, 9 Boros, 10 Selesnya, 11 Dimir, 12 Izzet, 13 Simic, 14 Rakdos, 15 Golgari, 16 Gruul, 17 Esper, 18 Grixis, 19 Jund, 20 Naya, 21 Bant, 22 Jeskai, 23 Mardu, 24 Abzan, 25 Sultai, 26 Temur.

inb4 13

Enjoy your facesitting.

*Blocks your path*

Rest in peace user.
No seriously, run it

More like
*sells off 50 Protean Hulks*

Gonna be trying it with Tajic.

mtggoldfish.com/deck/591294#paper
sorry im late
ive played zada as my first deck. shes super fun

I have an old WB casual deck that I'm probably going to turn into an EDH deck, but I'm not entirely sure what to do with it. I'm thinking of going either life drain with Kambal or voltron with Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts.
Maybe use Obzedat instead of Kambal? Maybe make Teysa pillowfort? I don't know what to pick. Help me decide.

lads, so I'm curious
looking into Mikaeus but I'm not too sure about the counter aspect
so I understand if you can remove the counter then you can keep sac-ing something but if you add a -1/-1 counter does that negate the +1/+1?

121.3: If a permanent has both a +1/+1 counter and a -1/-1 counter on it, N +1/+1 and N -1/-1 counters are removed from it as a state-based action, where N is the smaller of the number of +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters on it.

oh shit, so amonkhet cards work perfectly with -1/-1 counters

>Possibility Storm
Holy shit how did I never think of this

>zadas ability works on cast
>fucks everyone else while giving you 2x spells

When you create a token that is a copy of a non-token creature it copies all the aspects of the card including cmc. This is different from tokens such as soldier tokens which are not copies of anything, which have no cmc/or cmc of 0 (forgot which one)

You mean shit like Oblivion Ring?
You blow everything up.

Experiment Kraj deck that just grows out on control like Vig intended. It's not even a +1/+1 counter deck. Just packed full of ramp, draw, extra turns, and a Hoof, Memorial, and Rude Awakening as win cons.

On average it balls out of control around turn 6/7. Assuming no one breaks any of my toys of course, which will definitely happen.

But if I have the money, should I buy one? Assuming I won't get tricked.

Do you play Legacy?

starcitygames.com/article/34751_What-If-Banned-As-A-Commander-Came-Back.html

The RC everyone.
For real, how fucking stupid can one man be?

mtggoldfish.com/deck/617480#paper
become the containment like effects

>Comboing that with my main man Zirilan
>And pic related

No one expects it and it feels so good. Yes, I know it's really fragile. But I mean you're casting apocalypse. What do you care?

Has he ever tried not playing with tryhards? He only complains about combo commanders.
EDH is pretty fun if you aren't playing with jerks.

Nope. Just EDH and Modern.

It's far worse than that. If he was actually playing with tryhards then trash like biorhythm and coalition victory would have never been on the banlist.

The worst thing about the RC is that they're in some fucked up purgatory in between competitive and casual. They're not gonna ban shit like mana crypt which is actually stupidly powerful, but incredibly powerful shit like balance does hit the list for some reason. They're inconsistent as fuck.

Doesn't help his case that a lot of the Commanders he listed aren't THAT ridiculous, unless you let them get there.
I run Prossh, and while he helps a ton, I can just as easily win with Champion of Lambholt, Dragon Broodmother, Hanweir Garrison and so on. Food Chain CAN let me go infinite and win, but it is quite easily disrupted.

I just don't get his argument. In his hypothetical world where the make the Banned as a Commander category a thing again, Braids gets allowed but not as a commander because it's not that strong. And then they'd apparently just go ban happy and ban Arcum Dagsson, Derevi, Augustin, Leovold, Narset, Oloro, Prossh and Zur? Can they not just... not do that?

I'm inspired.

Apocalypse, Decree of Annihilation, Jokulhaups, Obliterate, am I missing any?

Prossh is among the strongest commanders in the game though. Stop loving the format with a casual mind Sheldon.

Exactly. There's this retarded idea of "well if we'd bring back the banned as a commander list we'd have to use it extensively right?" but that's fucking retarded. Aren't they always saying that they want the banlist to be as small as possible? Doesn't that contradict? They could just bring it back to the way it was before right?

If it were up to me, rofellos, leovold, erayo and braids would all be banned as commanders, and Oldrakul would be banned only in the 99.

Oh I wholeheartedly agree that Prossh is strong;I'm saying that he isn't banworthy like Leovold or Braids.

>Playing Gonti
>Have 4 swamps, worn powerstone and cabal coffers
>Drop sidisi so I can tutor and play Panharmonicon
>Next turn drop Gonti and Conjurer's Closet
>Enjoy my easy cruise to victory while I play everyone's cards

Why is he the best mono-black commander?

Where's your 0-cost creatures like Memnite?

Well he is T1 while Braids isn't and Leovold was just another stax commander, so you're wrong.

>sacrificing Quicksand to kill Zurgo
>blow him out with Shu Yun on my turn

Spellslinger Voltron is best Voltron

>Braids isn't T1
>Braids can easily fuck everyone over turn 1-2
Show us on the doll where Prossh one shot you, user.

Toshi Umezawa players: How? Is it just straight kill spells and "gotcha" stuff like Hatred?

Are you fucking retarded? Braids was never tier 1.