Fallout: Australia

What does Veeky Forums think Fallout: Australia would look like?

I'm playtesting a Fallout homebrew for a friend and trying to put together something other than the existing wastelands.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia's_big_things
youtube.com/watch?v=Udj-o2m39NA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Literally mad max With robots.

would play

/thread

mutant drop bears

A slightly less deadly Australia?

giant wildlife everywhere, look up our megafauna for ideas. Our deathclaw-type apex predator is a carnivorous cassowary. Guns are much rarer than america, but knives can be ludicrously dangerous. Ranged relies more on thrown weaponry. Major penalties to players not wearing a hat in the daytime, due to insane sunburn and blinding glare. Raiders are bra boys in coastal ruins, bikies in highway rest-stops and bogans in suburban ruins. The weather is a massive danger to you, and being caught outside can mean being blown away like a tumbleweed. Our tribals cut up their own torsos with stone axes, rub sand in the wounds and then go fight the biggest beasty nearby as a rite of passage. IRL ab warriors looked fucking terrifying, keep them that way. Distances are fucking ginormous, motorcycles or trucks are nearly necessities. Drugs are less manufactured and more grown. Water wars happen regularly. Having an NCR-equivalent of stereotypical british musketeers is a possibility, if you want a regional power. Have their manufacturing capabilities set at musket-level, and a few people with pre-war relic firearms as bosses. Religious organisations center around big monuments from the past, so we have big mango followers fighting with giant prawn followers over who the true deliverer is. See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia's_big_things for ideas.

Apologies for wall'o'text, im currently on thirty hours without sleep. And should be prepping for my presentation. Fuck.

There'd be no super mutants unless you want to awkwardly shoehorn FEV into the setting, so most major factions would consist of humans or ghouls.

The wasteland creatures would need to be redesigned entirely, since there are no bears or chameleons in Aus, and the scorpions here are notably harmless. More appropriate opponents would be spiders, snakes, or kangaroos. You've got a bunch of options if you want to include sea monsters too.

Australia is a fairly rich little country, and has extremely high standards of living. You could represent this by making robots (particularly domestic bots like Mr Handy) far more prevalent than in American settings.

If you want a specific location to use, Canberra might be a good option. There's a large central lake, urban, surburban and rural areas in close proximity, a couple of military sites, and even some cool stuff to potentially explore like libraries/galleries, research centres, and the giant, partially underground complex that is Parliament House. There's no ocean nearby though, so if you want Radsharks it won't be for you.

Improv works every time, no worries.

all those BS animal memes are real now

well running on the most recent fallout games then in Australia there will be super mutants, BoS, robots, raddroaches, mole rats, and every other faction because the story and fluff doesn't fucking matter any more.

Like Australia. Why would anyone bomb them? If it's anything like real life more than you'd think of the real estate would be owned by the Chinese anyway. Even if bombed the vast majority of the continent would be completely fine as the majority of the continent is of no import. Just do some research on the animals there like that extinct breed of snake-dogs that were literally Night Stalker.

Can't really contribute much other than you need to call it "Falloutback".

Everyone would likely be dead. radiation and the super plague's would kill almost everyone and without exposure to the FEV ghouls would't be a thing either.
However, I can imagine a story about thousands of survivors immigrating to Australia hoping to find a new, safe home free of all the radioactive monsters and radiation, only to find a new completely different wasteland to settle.
A new frontier/post-apocalypse setting were desperate groups of people have to get along over limited resources in a hostile unknown environment, constantly batting new horrors along the borders of their colonies and fending off the remnant tribes of Australia's former populace who had to survive deep in the inhospitable desert.

Well, you've got plenty of military bases (including a bunch of American ones/ones with Americans in them), Australia is part of the Five Eyes which I imagine would be some sort of AI in Fallout, not to mention that the country is riddled with uranium. It's not ridiculous to imagine a large military presence with both China and America fighting over our uranium/tactical significance to both. I think that's enough of a reason to want to nuke the country.

Go to sleep, you'll be operating at a much better level.

youtube.com/watch?v=Udj-o2m39NA

Australia probably did pretty well, all things considered. It would have weathered the resource wars well enough, and though everything would probably start to go to shit, I doubt anyone would be desperate to try to conquer it.

That said, no one was spared the horror of the great war, and it probably still would have taken quite a few nukes. The now radioactive coastline probably doesn't help matters either.

I think it could be played pretty well as a place where people survived the actual war quite well, but then everything fell to complete shit as resources dried up and people began murdering eachother over scraps.

So basically Mad Max.

The biggest baddest things would be in the ocean and water, mutant Crocs and sharks would be scary especially if they grow to be bigger than normal.

Instead of mirelurks have Crocs
Instead of rad scorpions have rad spiders
Instead of mole rats have echidnas

To be honest most of Australia is just horrendous desert so you would only be able to survive if you lived on the coast.

Also I'm an Aussie, ask me anything

Bomb the coastal cities and everyone that survives has to go to the already IRL aussie wasteland.

How about kangaroo people? Or rabid mutant emus.

Bushraiders, bands of raiders who revere the bushrangers of old as quasi-gods. A lot of dressing in Ned Kelly-style armour, for a start.

got a solid 23/30, all good. Time to sleep

A big part of Fallout has always been the corruption of the American dream and western values so it would feel a bit strange to me. Seems like you'd be better off running a mad max game, just throw in laser guns and robots.

The gun thing would probably play out differently given the point of divergence in Fallout. Probably something more like the restrictions on rifles in military calibres in the early Cold War (re: the threat of commie-unionists arming themselves) rather than the post-96 crackdown laws. Still, guns probably not quite as prevalent as in the US.

Retro-future commonwealth is a potentially fun & characterful weapon set though with Enfields (and civilian wildcat enfields), SLRs, some future variant of the EM-2 and so on.

I've been to Sydney and the most wildlife I saw were magpies, cockatiels and those trash cranes.
Could those be a threat?

Also an Aussie here. I was once working on another post-apocalypse Australia setting and came up with possums mutated into something like the now-extinct marsupial lion and colonising the overgrown bones of cities.

Think of Deathclaws and Cazadors, and then consider that those are actually the least lethal things Fallout Australia would have.

Joke 1: Mad Mac, etc.
Joke 2: Nothing would change lol
Joke 3: "That's a knife" puns everywhere
Joke 4: Something something abbos /pol/ abbos

Giant poisonous jumping spiders with wings and intellect on par with humans. But of course they want to kill everyone.

Also their poison makes your skin swell and explode leaving a skinless corpse.

Most dangerous things around Sydney are the Funnel Webs.

No filled neck lizards? Those guys are fast as hell

>frilled neck deathclaws
I didn't know I wanted these until now. Though that would raise the question of why there are FEV related things in Australia.

Back in Fallout 1's manual, it was outright stated that when the bombs dropped, FEV got scattered on the wind and carried all around the world. Everything had a least a little FEV in it; it was exposure to the concentrated stuff that was needed to make the Master and his Super Mutants.

Then the authors got into fights, with one going with that explanation and the other insisting "no, no, it's all just radiation, because this is Atompunk!"

What about New Zealand?

>Why would anyone bomb them?
Ask Kim Jong-Un. America started talking shit, so Kimmy turned around and said he'd nuke northern Australia.

Well, in On the Beach, Australia hosts the last pockets of humanity as it wasn't bombed, but nuclear fallout (not the game) start to wreak havoc even there.

Pretty good, depending on where in Australia you want it to be set. Central Australia wouldn't have a lot, Far North Queensland would be tropical, muggy and annoying as FUCK, likely with HUGE mutant insects, cassowaries and crocodiles. The more southern states would probably be really chilly with the whole nuclear winter, and hey, if South Australia doesn't have power, the residents likely wouldn't even notice compared to what it's like now.

To survive, the players would need to hang around near the coastline, although investigating cities like Brisbane, or the absolutely crippling amounts of Asians in Sydney would be great. Bonus points for having them participate in the Cronulla Riots 2: Fuck Off We're Full Boogaloo.

Caps would all come from beer bottles, obviously.

Steve Irwin would be revered as the a deity. Well, more so than he already is. Props if finding old videos of him wrestling animals gives the party bonuses when fighting various dangerous wildlife.

i have no idea how you'd do a hard western in Australia since that's the central theme of (non-shit) fallout games.

is probably the only good idea here.

Like bombing Iraq after some saudis did 9/11?

What about New Zealand?

The Australian equivelant to The Old West would probably involve cattle and convicts.

> The Australian equivelant to The Old West would probably involve cattle and convicts.
Ned Kelly is an Australian outlaw hero, and basically embodied the Australian 'old west'.

Literally Mad Max. This is even implied in-universe

Are you Australian? If you really want to make an Australia setting that isn't just "Mad Max lul", than I'd suggest you read up on Fallout lore and try to translate that into an Australian setting

For one keep as many things familiar as possible so that it's recognizabely Fallout. The Brotherhood of Steel exists out of the remenants of American military personnel based in Australian military bases and would probably exert a good deal of influence. The old Australian government could have some sort of contact with the Enclave and is seeking to restablish control of Australia.

etc. Just make it recognizably Fallout and it should work fine

grats
and
check'd mate

oh jesus imagine giant mutant death kangaroos.
Clawgaroos.
Puncharoos.
Deatharoos.

I wouldn't say 'Just mad max' BUT Mad Max is an extrapolation of Australian culture.

It draws heavily from the vehicle-lover culture and the serious petrolhead thing we had going on. Any fallout: Australia would have cars as a serious aspect even if it doesn't go full Mad Max.

Addendum: Other major cultural australian things that would likely stick about/become warped.

Diggers. A slang term for Australian soldiers that's existed ever since Gallipoli. As the term implies, generally seen as less authoritarian than the American military, more 'One of the guys'. More likely to be a reasonable (If overworked) faction in a similar way to the minutemen.

Ned Kelly: Australian cultural icon, doubly so in a setting that has power armour. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some people in scavenged military power armour doing a Kelly Gang thing.

The ghouls fight for dominance with aborigines.

>What does Veeky Forums think Fallout: Australia would look like?

Instead of Bottlecaps people use shitposts as currency.

ayyyyy

It's hard to know given the differences between the real world and the Fallout world, but I'm guessing that Australia would follow the US blindly into oblivion like a good little lapdog because that's what we do.

Given that I would say that Australia would have caught a nuke or several focused at Canberra, Sydney and a few other select targets. Other than those, Australia wouldn't be too badly affected.

I'd see Australia as being a bit of a superpower in Fallout-a civil government that has remained more or less in power since the war.

We'd have an area around Sydney and Canberra as an irradiated hellhole, but the rest would be operated by a Republic of Australia with a tech level a bit less than they were pre-war. Sydney doesn't know this, but if they vanished overnight we'd be able to continue just fine.

Because NK could never hope to hurt the US in any way shape or form and literally everyone knows this.
By threatening Ozland he plans on hurting America vicariously and hopes to 'send a message' to the US.
Problem is whilst our fuckwit of a Prime Minister will willfully follow the US into hell itself if it meant he got to suck Trump's penis, Trump couldn't give a shit about AUS and would joyfully pretend we didn't exist if it wasn't for everyone telling him to sit down, shut up and play nice.

this makes far more sense than "radiation" did it

but why not compromise and say it was IRRADIATED FEV that really fucked things, because the radiation mutated the FEV

Irwin and Dundee would be the twin dieties of mastering the outback

>he'd nuke northern Australia.
Sounds like a public service

You need a rural drug called Snuffy or Guzzoline

very popular with abbo raiders

You need a drug called ice that all the white trash take.

But that already exists.

Irwin is nowhere near as popular over here as he was in Eagleland and Dundee is a joke barely known by the modern populous.
Dame Edna is more relevant and well known then those two and Aunty Jack would make for a more Aussie reference overall.

Among people under 18, maybe. 21 and older remember both fondly. Even amongst the younger population, irwin is about equal with edna, and literally no-one knows aunty jack

Emus could be could, kangaroos are too docile, maybe they could replace the two headed yak?

Maybe magpies in large numbers. Ibis are those "trash cranes" they are just a friggin pest to be honest. Replacement chicken?

Possum idea is sweet, I like it. Maybe make them the size of leopards and hunt people from above.

The mega fauna of Australia would be a good basis as someone else said.

Mate Steve Irwin is a bloody legend, but I am from QLD so he is more relatable than Dame Edna

Am I too late to say it would look exactly like Australia does now?? Only less deadly since the wildlife that can kill you now would be all dead and super mutants acording to lore are only in the US and there would be no ghouls because nothing in australia is worth bombing...

And dropbears.

>irwin and dundee
>less known than dame edna
>aunty jack is literally who unless your a boomer
>the wildlife that can kill you now would be all dead
balls to that, dread cassowaries would become real, kangaroos would regress to their giant carnivorous variety and dingos would interbreed with domestic mutts to get that real nasty crossbreed vigour so they really could go eat your babies. Snakes and spiders, by fallout precedent, would just get bigger and more aggressive. Plus the major cities would certainly get bombed, but nothing of value would be lost and at least we'd have some target practice shooting the ghouls that roamed out from them.

It would pretty much just be Australia

I don't think there's much to nuke there, so they're probably going about like prison business as usual.

Also remember Australia is closer to China than the US. We can imagine that a Chinese backed 5th column infiltrated the Australian government during the war and thus lead to the factionization of Australia into US/Chinese camps, both fighting it out while normal Australians try to survive in the background while not taking obvious sides in the conflict.

At least, that's how I envision it going down. There's more than enough Chinese remnants in the US proper, I can't even imagine how many must be in Australia.

about a year ago the police found some homemade submachine guns from WWII. the biggies difference wouldn't be the amount of guns but the quality. unlike over here I don't think the big NCR equivalent would have muskets, but crappy smgs and pistols, with bosses using looted military/police gear. the more lawless inland areas and sparser populated parts of the coast would pretty much be like mad max; control the water and the fuel and you have power. The more populous cities would be mainly raiders/gangs, standard fallout; take a stereotype, bogans, lebs, surfers or whatever, and dial it up to 11, the comparative rarity of decent guns making warfare close range spray and pray/stab type deals.

moving inland is where it gets interesting, because you have the mad max stuff I mentioned before. going further inland, you'd have crackshot farmers and drovers feuding over water, using actual decent rifles that their grandfathers used. you'd also have the aboriginals using spears, who would be a real threat because of all the refugees who fled to the traditional way of live when society failed. I can Imagine huge tribes wandering the outback, making occasional raids to the coast when resources grow scarce.

as for creatures, megafauna and sea life has been mentioned before, you can't go wrong there.

In general, the heavily populated coast would be a fairly shitty place. There would be an initial slaughter as there still would not be enough resources for the survivors, before they learned how to hunt/scavenge. they'd live off the the sea, but in order to get food they'd have to brave the very dangerous sea life, while they'd live in fear of the mad max type gangs and abo raiders from inland. There would probably be military conflict between the remnants of the ADF and Chinese invaders(/ refugees if you want some moral ambiguity).

Because user, that would make too much sense

Mutated giant land birds.

Because the FEV getting irradiated would destroy it's reinforced protein sheath, which is what makes the FEV so tenacious in the first place

No, no, see the FEV got exposed to the FEV, which causes it to mutate so it can better survive the radiation. Its all perfectly scientific.

There are broken vehicles everywhere that don't work because the front fell off