Argo Brigade - First Edition Edition

Previous thread archive: 1d4chan Article: 1d4chan.org/wiki/Argo_Brigade

Last thread, some fa/tg/uys wrote up an Imperial Guard regiment one word at a time and it ended up not being total shit: the Argo Brigade, a counterinsurgency regiment that loves to melt and burn the shit out of human insurgents and crucify the survivors upside down and sideways. An user with actual counterinsurgency experience came in and told us how a real COIN unit gets shit done.

1d4chan page is created and last time we had some excellent discussion, writefaggotry, and drawfaggotry. One user has ordered parts for a tabletop Argo Brigade killteam and we expect updates out of him.

Let's continue developing the galaxy's most horrifically effective insurgency suppressors.

Other urls found in this thread:

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/52865307/
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Tau_Lexicon
1d4chan.org/wiki/Only_War#Homeworld
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

And immediately I fuck it up.

Actual previous thread archive: suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/52865307/

awwwe yeah nigga it's the argo brigade

Here we go lads

Hey man! I'm really honored that all my designs got used in the wiki! I've been a tg lurker for actual years but rarely ever contributed! Thanks everybody! Last thread was a lot of fun.

And designs or concepts you guys would like to see me mock up? Related to the Argos or maybe not but let's try and stay on topic

Is everyone agreed on this fluff? Sans phosphex, obviously.

>
>
>

With Melta, rocket teams, and mortar crews for armour and dogs, flamers, and chemical weapons for infantry?

I won't be able to read it till later but when I do I'll let you know

Well I wouldn't want to distract from the Argo brigade.....but I do really like what I see. Did you do all 4 pictures?

Dis all seems pretty good to me.

Lets talk about the uniform for a second

It's waaaaay too busy, especially considering the unit's demeanor. I would cut out the yellow entirely.

The Red in the uniform is supposed to have major symbolic importance and thus should be limited to perhaps rank and unit insignia.

In its stead we should utilize a camo pattern. We should in general take more cues from Peacekeepers aesthetically speaking.

Naw man, I remember the people pushing for peace keeper influence, but it just doesn't make sense with what we've got here. The way it is now works. It looks damn snappy.

You've got the premier art for the Brigade mein neger

We already have the Peacekeeper influence numbnuts, look at that blue.

Now we're making it not look like shit

Nice trips.

Also for art you can't go wrong with a pair of Guardsmen putting a degenerate up on a cross.

It's irony dude, the Brigade is like an Anti-Peacekeeper force

So here is a question, is there any distinction between the rank and file and more elite troops? I mean some guard organizations have Elites, like the Karskins for Cadians or the Grenadiers for the Death Korps. Does the Argo Brigade have an Elite element, and if they do, what should they be called and what makes them special? If this has already been discussed forgive me, I was only around for part of the last thread and I haven't had time to read all of the backlog.

They ARE the elite unit. Tiny, hyper adapted to their niche, efficient, skilled.

It's basically an Old School stormtrooper regiment

When counter-insurgency user was here last thread he raised the idea that the engineering battalion could do the crucifying since they'd already have the trucks and equipment to do so.

Apart from Engineers/Sappers I'd say we'd want some sort of SWAT-like/Breach and Clear teams for urban warfare and heavy weapons/chem/phosphex operators possible grouped as their own special units.

Forgive me, I misspoke, what I should have said was that more peacekeeper influence is unnecessary. Already got the blue helmets, no need to put them in Camo. It would be boring and generic, and would detract.

Yea everything in the wiki was mine, even the banner

Ok. I suppose that makes sense. Do they have a nickname? I feel like they'd earn a name for themselves pretty damn fast.

whew

These guys seem pretty cool OP! Glad another one of these seems to be doing alright. Last one that really got anywhere was Hua Yuan, and that was like a year ago

OP here, yeah, I put together the 1d4chan page with all his art. There were some other attempts at Bolter and Chainsword palettes but the thread settled on the peacekeeper aesthetic.

Honestly if you are open to requests I would love to have you do some of my own stuff, but I wouldn't want to impose, and I certainly don't want to distract from the reason we are all here.

I can appreciate the Irony, but putting them in Camo and making them almost complete clones seems a little too on the nose to me.

Maybe some black and grey charcoal camo as a compromise? I mean we already decided on Charcoal, and I do like the black suit, but I can understand the desire for Camo as well and I don't wanna be an ass and just ignore people. Black and dark grey speckled pattern for the body suit? Breaks up their outline at night, which is good for nocturnal terror ops?

Thanks lad, I was surprised we got something useful out of random words. I actually used a copy of their wiki page as a base since I'm really not good at wiki stuff.

That was me.

Well before we decide that I think we need to establish organization and size.

I saw we have a few Battalions.

>Infantry battalion
>Infantry battalion
>Infantry bat
>Infantry bat
>Infantry Bat
>Armoured Cav bat
>Engineer Bat
>Intelligence+PsyOps bat

With more specific platoons and companies under them

>black and grey camo
I've tried this in the Dawn of War army painter, it looks pretty fucking spiffy. I suspect the whole Argo scheme would render pretty nicely in-game actually.

The mess of colors detracts.

The Argonauts!! The crew of the Argos in Greek mythology who quested for the Golden Fleece

Hell yes!

Killteambuilderanon here. I'll tell the plan here aswell.

Get Cadian infantry and replace their heads with some heads from Anvil Industry. Already got the heads ordered and some used cadian troops to test put color schemes. Will be posting in next week or so the results once I get the stuff. Also be in mind im not the greatest painter but will give it my best.

Black, Grey, and some tacticool sage sounds pretty amazing, especially for intimidation and urban ops, and will make the blue helmets pop. But again, I beg that we use red sparringly

You think that might be a bit large? I mean I agree we should discuss the organization, but we also need to discuss the size of the brigade as well. How many of them are left?

Also feel free to throw in ideas.

That sounds solid to me. Should there be a number of regiments in the Brigade that all follow the same model, or is this just one regiment that's effective enough to avoid getting disbanded after massive casualties in the Guard meat grinder?

But the term Brigade implies a relatively large number of troops, with further divisions of troops within the Brigade into different battalions .

Yes there are two different forces each containing a large number of units, the anti armor vanguard who specialize in infiltration and recon and then the pacification forces

Maybe just the red on the Armor? I mean I don't mind the red gloves and whatnot personally, but I can understand why that may be offputting to some people. What do the other anons think?

Also, sorry design user for this. I love your stuff, It's great and I don't want you to think it isn't, this is just part of the dynamic creation process.

I think at this point it's a Brigade by tradition. While not necessarily as large as most regiments, it's still a fair bit larger than any brigade ought to be. In turn Bats act like Battalions and companies Battalions and so on and so on, with Squads acting more like teams within a platoon.

But the unit is still small enough to where the nomenclature isn't laughable, but large enough that it's understood that it's traditional.

The rest of the regiments that get shat out of the Illius X System are often sub par Penal units vomited out to meet crushing tithe demands. Argo puts out some quality conventional regiments, but none really compare to the Brigade.

As a rule, Argoan units tend not use the "brigade" nomenclature out of respect and instead opt to using a different word for the same echelon

No.

Corps>Division>Brigade>battalion>Company>Platoon>team>squad

At least in the US army

I would seriously limit it to the rank and unit insignia. Too many colors and he looks like a clown

Interesting, though I must ask where the crucifixion ends and the penal service begins in terms of punishment for crimes. Seems like the Brigade and world are pretty cross-happy.

Was there something on the previous thread that Argo was hding some xenotech in caves or is that scrapped?

So red unit and rank insignia, black-charcoal-gray fatigues, UN blue helmet and flak armor?

It came out of the last thread, nobody's done any writefaggotry on it yet. Could be a nice regimental secret, especially if it ties into how they get their flesh melting shit.

If everyone else is okay with it and it makes the guy who doesn't want red happy I personally don't see a problem with it. I would advocate that we keep the cross though, I like it being there.

Don't forget bayonets to stick the degenerates while on their crosses!

I'm not really happy with that, the color pallets was one of the only things generally agreed upon in the last thread. Red and light blue go well together but maybe less lines on the armor

Yeah, I think the cross is definitely brigade insignia if not being an element of battalion markings, like battalion number on the left side of the cross and company number on the right side.

Maybe use red only as trim on gloves

Can we toss in some pale sage into the camo? I think it would look rather nice.

The cross is inverted with an X on the shorter end, right?

You think it does, but it doesn't. I work in the fashion industry with a degree in fine art.

Every single one of these threads I try to tell you people

Yep, the upside down cross.

Maybe one with the sage and one without to see which one everyone prefers? Personally I think it could do without the sage, but maybe it could work.

I suppose I haven't been in the thread where you have told us, but I'd be willing to listen if you don't mind explaining it. Why don't they work together?

That being said while I am willing to listen if the majority wish to keep it red and blue I think it should stay red and blue even if they aren't necessarily ideal. It looks fine to me, and not all of us have such discerning taste.

Whoops, *willing to listen if the majority wish to change it from red and blue

I would suggest putting it around the general area of murder and theft. Make it fuzzy around that area-it could be argued either way, depending on circumstance.

Treason? Definitely getting crucified.

Tactics advised by a real counter-insurgency user, uniforms advised by a real fashion user. We Waffen SS tier professional now bois

Obviously! I'll be adding as much gear and accessories as possible to them. Tacticool and shit.

I would imagine anything less than murder or serious religions infractions would result in jail time and a period in a penal legion. Man slaughter would also probably be Penal legion I think.

Making it fuzzy makes for some interesting trials where the accused mounts a hilarious defense that, because he believes the neighbor he was feuding with and stabbed 27 times was a genestealer, he should only be charged with destruction of Imperial property (penal service) instead of murder (crucifixion).

I thouroughy support this notion. In fact if I have time tonight when I finish my term paper I'm going to do some writefaggotry for it. Been a while since I did any writing on this board, need to get to it again...

Godspeed user, may the Emperor guide your grade.

What paper are you doing?

Also what sort of general plot would people want in an Argo fic?

Thank you user, The Emperor protect you.

Book review for a military history course. Which I really should be focusing on, but I'm not too worried about it honestly.

And if people can spin me a good idea that catches the imagination I'll do a fic for it. Personally I think following an individual trooper from the beginning ant exploring the process as the brigade culture developed would be fascinating if it could be done correctly, but that's just me. Others might have different ideas.

So on such an overall dark uniform you need to choose your colours wisely, by going with baby blue we've slashed our options in terms of other bright colors. By having multiple bright colours (red and blue) too many elements pop.

It's aesthetically displeasing, and in a Psychological warfare unit, you need to be Veeky Forums.

If I had my way I'd drop the red entirely and just use white. But if using it sparingly like number designations on a helmet, ranks, unit crest, in very small amounts, I don't think it will clash too hard. Hopefully

Isn't white pretty bright though? Would it be better if they were deeper darker shades of blue and red? More burnt?

Not grimdark enough. Commit a crime? It's random chance lottery. Labour, Penal Regiment, or summary execution. Murderers can spend the rest of thier lives toiling away in a camp while bread thieves get shoved into the incinerator.

Nah. Too autumnal. The uniform is fairly wintery pallete wise and I'd like to keep it that way. White can be cool or hot depending on context, but red is too warm a color to mesh well. That's why black, grey, and sage will work together, but not sky blue and fire engine red.

What history?
I'm thinking of writing a fic from the perspective of a unit ambushed by the Argos but I probably won't because I'm a lazy embarrassed shitlord.

From the exterior it appears that way, but the odds are actually very closely controlled and are decided by the commissar. This means that while it might be a 'bread thief' being executed it's someone who took bread from an orphanage, while the murderer killed somebody assaulting a woman/bitchboi.

Wanna stat these guys up for Only War?

Well currently we have white as a small decals so I think it is good enough for that part.

You could make something that you have in your mind. If you have some sort of photoediting program just use the pic in OP post to show us what you have in mind.

What homeworld were they again?

Having the trooper do that over the course of a single planetary CION op might be good.
You'd have two solid arcs-the trooper's exploration and rise in the brigade's culture, and the cat and mouse games out in 'the jungle'.

Not a military guy myself, but I've found Hammer's Slammers to be a good read in this sort of vein. Helps that the author served in Vietnam.

Unless I misunderstand the idea behind these guys the story is that at one point they suffered massive casualties and were forced to continue the fight through insurgency and slowly became incredibly brutal right? I'd enjoy writing about that I think, though I don't know how well I would do.

If you have an idea you should do it. We're all anonymous here, there are no repercussions for trying and who knows, the anons may like it. We could do with more writefags around here.

As for the history course (is that what your asking about?) we just finished the WWII unit and I'm writing a review on a book about the eastern front.

It's not so much the context of the crime as much as it is the character of criminal. It's not a case by case basis in the slightest, but more of a general profile for an ideal penal soldier. If a perp fits say 65% they get snatched up for conscription

And this is for the rest of the Illius system. Argo is pretty well figured out, crime and population wise

I'll try I guess. Need to make sure I have the fluff sorted, but I was thinking a tau unit used to fighting normal-ish guard deploying into a warzone fronted by the Argos.

What I was trying to say is that its presented to outsiders as if it is really a coin toss as to whether you die or not.

History is here And I'm agreeing with you

Now that would be interesting. I would really like to read that. Please give it a go.

Cool beans guys
I'll try to get something mocked up but don't expect miracles, or even good writing.

Just to get me started, can someone give me T'au names and such?

desert world

Google says you're a shit tier fashion designer

This may help
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Tau_Lexicon

see this

But let me be exceedingly clear (I'm the guy that wrote that). I refuse to let Argo be single biome. It's desert as Egypt is, and has swamps and grasslands, as well as polar regions and vast mountain ranges. The world is fairly Mediterranean. Welk before things went to shit, now it's a polluted mess.

But the climate and biomes are secondary to the fact that it was an Ultra Machiavellian society and metropolitan to the extreme.

Is it actually a death world or an imperial world due to being mislabeled?

Lol okay kid.

>

here. What actually is the world's true classification?

It's not actually a death world, just the Admin labeled it as such after a slew of deaths that one would expect on a death world.

Again, it's more Mediterranean desert than ALLAHU AKBAR desert. It would be a pretty nice place if the Brigade didn't rape it

So then out of this list, it is an Imperal world?

1d4chan.org/wiki/Only_War#Homeworld

Essentially a Fortress World, a giant Adeptus Arbites boot on the neck of the Illius X System and that region of the sub sector

Huh. Post-cataclysmic or Penitent may apply as well, although not necessarily in whole to Argo.

The Traitors died.

I think a lot pf people would do well to go read the first half of the last thread to get alot of the lore and fluff, because questions that keep getting brought up were already discussed and sometimes at length, i'll attempt to do some write-faggotry and make an information sheet.

As the person who designed the uniform in OPs post I agree the gloves could use some work but to say blue and red don't go together is absurd, just google blue and red designs. Hell we are on/tg/ look how bitchin the Izzet Guild is. I'll post pictures if I need too.

IT IS AN EYESORE, CHRIST.

THEY LOOK LIKE FUKKEN CANDY MEN.

It's a garrish and tacky combination! And the Brigade is neither garrish nor tacky!

And izet utilizes a much deeper shade of blue, but their temperment and personalities are very different than Warcrimes;The Regiment

Then where were you when everyone who worked on the first thread was actually building the lore that no one in this thread seems to be aware of?

That does help!

I want to make a Veeky Forums risk map that features these guys but idk how to go about the rules.

Check out this Arogs Brigadier guys

Cool!
What conversion parts did you use!