Every fantasy setting is Eurocentric, for the most part. Sure, you'll get the occasional far east setting...

Every fantasy setting is Eurocentric, for the most part. Sure, you'll get the occasional far east setting, and maybe a north Africa and Arabia setting

But what about a setting based off America? Using American archetypes, and American culture? What would that be like?

Other urls found in this thread:

dandwiki.com/wiki/Americana_(DnD_Campaign_Setting)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_the_United_States
youtube.com/watch?v=4ztOV2wrrkY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Better idea: Half Native American Myths and Legends, Half American Folk Tales.

Paul Bunyan, John Henry, and Johnny Appleseed are Demigods that walk the land gathering followers and enemies, with the Native American Shamans using their connection to the natural spirits to fight off the white man invasion.

America has no culture

I'm speaking as an American here

>Native American Shamans using their connection to the natural spirits to fight off the white man invasion.

>Not the Snake God of Detroit
>Not the Underwater Panther
>Not the Thunderbird

Best idea is having there be something strange about the new lands that twist old gods into something strange and unique when they come here. All the fantasy races have some presence in this land, and they're blending into something strange and terrible

Like, IIRC, John Henry was based off an African legend about a dude who perished after slaying a hydra.

debate me

dandwiki.com/wiki/Americana_(DnD_Campaign_Setting)

Bam right there! Made by fa/tg/uys long ago based on the myths, legends, and a bit of actual history of the good ol' U S of A.

I am a fan of the fluff about the magic schools all being across the country with the Chicago school being a myth that may very well be true.

On a related note why does nobody ever bring this setting up whenever we have this thread?

I've actually been working on a colonial american fantasy setting for some time now

Basically what happens is europeans come to the new world and discover the natives got alchemy working, so they have some modest cities and slightly advanced technologies. the hitch is that they rely on scarce alchemical catalysts and complex ritual processes that can quickly drain the life right out of the alchemist, so it never kicked off a magical industrial revolution

long story short the revolution happens but colonial expansion basically stops because the natives have actual city states in the way. and george washington establishes the first continental alchemist guild. and wendigos and skinwalkers are a problem.

Alright niggas, I got folk monsters and superstitions, and I could probably put together a list of folk heroes, but it'll take me forever to go through all my books

what do you want, my friends

Different user.
Fantasy settings are based on mythic culture. America has none. Now, if you're looking for a steampunk or setting or something like that, America has tonnes of culture. You have mafia dons and the wild west and all that good shit. If you're looking for something from before the use of gunpowder, however, you're shit out of luck.

>American culture
You tell me about it, OP. We already have one shitty thread about nonpopular cultures with lazy faggot OP. Have you just made another?

did you have access to books growing up or did you just ignore them

Hasn't we talk about native american?

Yes. What are you implying?

No? OP made no mention of native americans, and his pic was related to colonial America.

Sources, first, and how much it cost to get them.

The fact that settlers of the land had quite a few tall tales and superstitions.

Far as characters go see I count folk tales as American cultural myths.

>Fantasy settings are based on mythic culture. America has none. Now, if you're looking for a steampunk or setting or something like that, America has tonnes of culture. You have mafia dons and the wild west and all that good shit. If you're looking for something from before the use of gunpowder, however, you're shit out of luck.
In spite of your digits, you're full of shit. Charles M. Skinner always argued back at the turn of the 20th century that American myths would become as Important to America as the old world myths were to the Europeans. America is no different from any other people, we had a large population of isolated farmers in small communities of a largely unexplored new world full of strange creatures and weird phenomenon. Its how you get things like Old Scratch, Whoo doo magic men, brier rabbit, the jack o' latern (I've read various versions of the American tale, but they all end the same way: A man is cast out of hell for being too mean/clever/strong, and is forced to wander around with a piece of Hell fire, looking for a place of eternal rest), Old Storm-along, Davey Crockett doing stuff like thawing the sun so the earth wont freeze still, The Ol' Grey Mare, the Windham Frogs, Uncle Kaler, Bow-leg Bill, all the numerous Jack Tales about fighting old Tush and the Fire Dragaman, Hold-the-line Johnson, the deformed of Zoar, the Devil's stepping stones, decades of stories about the Stone Throwing Devils of New England, the Ramapo Salamander, and countless more fantastical stories about larger than life people and magical forces. There's centuries of original stories arising, for each and every region in the United States. You could be a thick folklore book on Amazon for any state you wanted to, the problem is is that you wont because you believe that America never had any culture for some retarded reason

what do you want to know

>Everything Lovecraft ever wrote
>plus Poe, Irving, and Hawthorne

Throw in Steven King I guess, not that he's good but he does what you're talking about often

>implying

Try Emerson, Longfellow, O'Henry, Twain, and Hawthorne

Tell me about your culture

I think you are vastly overestimating the value of America's obscure myth, and I think you're doing this because you don't know any of the other obscure myths from other cultures.

Let me elaborate. Greek mythology have produced what many consider to be one of the most famous mythologies ever. Stories of Troy and the Gods are famous over 2000 years after the fact. BUT, there's a whole bunch of obscure, downright boring Greek myths that never became famous because they weren't any good.

American folk tales are the obscure american myths that never became any good. The good mythology - with cowboys and superheroes and Al Capone - actually HAVE become as important to the world as the tales of Ancient Greece and King Arthur, just like your pal Skinner said they would. They have because they're good myths. The others aren't.

If you want to base a setting of american mythology, don't make it off folk legends, because no good settings are ever based off folk legends. This unfortunately means that you're not gonna be able to make a fantasy setting off of American mythology because all of the good shit is a lot more modern. Or, rather, you're not gonna be able to make a traditional fantasy setting. You'll probably get something like Shadowrun or Iron Kingdoms or other things that get pretentious names like "dungeon-punk."

pic unrelated

The great American mythic drama of travelling Out West, where one could escape and make for their self whatever they desire in the rugged-need of empty land?

Only your part of it, SoCal. Alaska has taken all the western culture your nerds have driven away. Heck, more people know about Alaskan culture than they do the culture of Malta or Luxembourg! We're among the states even a foreigner could name!

Conversely, I think you are vastly over estimating the value of such ancient greek myths. Their popularity and historical significance is tied to a lot more than the mere quality of the writing. There have been a lot of highly praised pieces of literature from American authors like says that never got a chance gesticulate because of the rapid encroachment of modernity, and the baggage that came from millennium of Western cultural canon. The Greeks had a historical relevance and lack of literary precedent that made their works pillars of western myth, where as you do not see the same kind of influence held in say Irish mythology, even though it is full of entertaining stuff. These "obscure" American myths were at some point well known yarns told for fun across the country, but were snuffed out because they were deemed to lack a level of gravitas to make them fashionable. I would not say that there is an intrinsic lack of quality that made these stories fall to the way-side, but rather a shifting world that prevented the solidification of a strong American quasi-mythical background

pic unrelated

Maybe we should a non-Eurocentric general, these threads pop up a lot. Then again I enjoy them.

The last thing this board needs is more generals, guy

Probably just a trend like all those 40k faction generator threads that were all over the place

You don't see Irish mythology because the Irish were never world powers.

The mythology that gets passed on is the best mythology from whatever culture is dominant at the time. This is why we have Gilgamesh, Troy, King Arthur, and Al Capone, in that order.

And it doesn't matter if these american myths were known by every american, because nobody across the pond rightly gives a rat's ass about Johny Appleseed. That's why people don't care about fucking Tom Sawyer, even though that story DOES have literary gravitas.

So what's your point, that people don't care? Or that you can't make a setting out of it because people don't care

Well, I can think of one thing that kept American myths from being a big deal: monotheism. Well that and most of the myths have dumb real-life names like Paul Bunyan or Johnny Appleseed.

The closest thing to an internationally-recognized American myth there is is Bigfoot.

I'm from the Bronx

Eh, there's some work around there with demons, angels, saints, native Americans, and different manifestations of Satan.

I'm saying you can't make a setting from it becasue its bad. I've already said that, rather.

I mention it because you asked why it's unpopular. I told you.

I can't recommend the Botkin enough. He's got bulky bucks on the subjects, all transcriptions of primary sources, by region. Each on you can get for like 3-7 bucks. American Imagination at work, Folkore in American Literature, and Myths and Legends of our Own Land are also really good and follow suit with the organization and primary sources. Everything else you need a special interest in, I feel.

Deadlands
>Making two threads on different boards

OP is a massive faggot

But why is it bad, just boring to you because there's no elves?

>>Making two threads on different boards
what other board

>Well, I can think of one thing that kept American myths from being a big deal: monotheism.
How so? I can't remember God being mentioned in American talltales and myths at all. Modern American myths are basically polytheistic with many superhuman characters akin to gods and irrelevant Demiurge somewhere off the screen.

OP, here
This is the only thread I made. If you want, I have to post

really, I just wanted to talk about American folklore

No Elves in the wind west either. Difference is, the wild west gets better when you add elves, sleepy hollow gets slightly better with elves, and Davy Crockett is just as shitty as it was before when you add elves.

Now, where's the other user? I preferred arguing with him more. He had actual points, instead of whatever you call that.

/int/, same OP image and everything.
This isn't you?

I, too, want clarification.

Kek, looks like someone's pants are on fire

No, but I'm flattered someone copied it. I did think about making this thread on Veeky Forums but I figured it'd be better suited here

My OP picture has a file name, why would I need to redownload my own picture

Read Crevecoeur, Franklin, and Cotton Mather or John Adams if you really want to.

You only say America has no culture because you're soaking in American culture as you speak.

It's the same reason why SJW's say whites have no culture, because most SJW's are white tumblrites.

Ask any immigrant to America from a non-white nation (or hell, any nation), who has learned about America. They will tell you America has culture.

That's a good question. The thread from /int/ is also almost an hour older than yours.

Gentlemen, I think it can be assumed that there's an /int/poster among us whose stolen our thread ideas.

See

>this thread: 23:41:26 (one hour 40 minutes ago
>/int/ thread: 00:18:32 (one hour 4 minutes)

got my noggin joggin

I got you user.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. And hey, if they keep it up maybe we can get them to argue about Quests as well.

I can't. I'm American therefore I only inherently understand my culture, making it hard to explain.

Instead, try google.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_the_United_States

Does that mean we get to steal some of their memes?

Do they have any good besides the one where Thailand/Korea(can't remember which one it was) rips Japan a new one?

>But what about a setting based off America? Using American archetypes, and American culture? What would that be like?
obese rednecks, driving in electric wheelchairs, equipped with guns and burgers, killing non-us-citizens and niggers in the name of emperor Trump
done

yes

>ctrl + f
>"mormons"
>no results

This is Veeky Forums. Dogs in the Vineyard exists. Come on now.
Get better at reading yourself into the Bible lads.

Yeah nah, people who say "X has no culture" always lie so long as X means any kind of sapiant being.

how old are you?

Also this

Also, the /intl/ guys from 8gag made this
youtube.com/watch?v=4ztOV2wrrkY

I already know this. I want American to describe his own culture in few words so I can see what he thinks are important parts of it.

Thats not a better idea.

I like this. Medieval Americans.

There are so many places you can go with this.

Two words.
Rock.
and Roll.

Mormon here. I was gonna say, but I get a special happy feeling where my ego is whenever Veeky Forums mentions DOTV and how good it is, and that it's based on the first Mormon missionaries and colonists.

So... Anyone want to hear why Mormons believe Ouija boards and devil worship actually works?

You can't really quantify culture like that. Culture is many things and it's hard to simplify it.

We are the most rebellious people on the planet. Our government, business, family, homelife, all of it, complete anarchy.

In America, a person can be born with every advantage, wealth, good breeding, the right connections, and still end up shooting smack and selling their body on the street.

In America, a kid who grew up with two lesbian crack addict mothers who used to beat him so bad they sent him to the hospital can grow up to be a neurosurgeon.

There is no rhyme or reason here, anything can happen and frequently does.

>Mormon here.
>So... Anyone want to hear why Mormons believe Ouija boards and devil worship actually works?

YES. Explain. Now.

Cause god allows it to work?

That's good

America is like watching an explosion that never ends. Everywhere you look, life, vibrancy, colors. And when the colors are drab and the neighborhoods look ugly, the people glow. They glow with this sort of inner light.

Three things: pride in humble lifestyles, Independence, and friendliness towards strangers. I firmly believe these are the foundations of the ideal American. Now, American culture is overtly fractional because of how big the country is, and the history and isolation of parts. It's easier to describe the cultures of each state

America never stops. Its like a jungle canopy that creeps back into the roads before you can cut a trail. A riotous profusion of lifestyles, customs and ideals, all of them, living here, interacting, mingling, become something more than what they were.

But dude, back on subject, you have to promote this idea!

Medieval Americans sounds like the shit! People with red white and blue metal armor, the flag on their shield, the heraldry...

/int/ is great

Just replace his face with someone who gives a crap about America

We have a thread about this every couple of days. Its a tie between 'lets make a fantasy setting based on america!' and 'what would a slavic fantasy setting look like?'. It never goes anywhere apart from vague wankery about how lovely America is and some talk about native folklore.

Can't we talk about... idk, Malta, Argentina, Greenland, Belgium, Cuba or one of the other thousands of countries or cultures?

OP I'm literally making a setting right now based on the midwest and Appalachia. I spent the better part of the week making stat blocks for cryptids like the hide-behind, taily-po, pukwudgie, skinwalker, Enfield monster, and hodag. It's very "Lumberjack Gothic."

Paul Bunyan is a legendary benevolent hill giant who helped clear the initial forest. At some point he's going to be resurrected as a mind-controlled zombie and summom the ghost of Babe like it's Bunyan's Bizarre Adventure.

>greenland

A game about drinking yourself to death while sled dogs eat your kids because you didn't bother feeding them in the summer period?

NO FUCK YOU
ITS AMERICAS TURN

So Slavs again tomorrow?

Just like last time.

DUDE!
If there are ghost that means baptists are clerics! Fucking ministers be all like "turn undead" and shit! Plus you get the zombie huntin' angle... maybe give them old blunderbuss or something that'd be rad!

Where a European might ask "who is he?" Americans will ask "what can he do?"

That's what the lack of nobility or salaried bureaucratic positions will do. No one cares who a man is so long as they can do work. Likely part of the reason the country ended up with industrial tycoons and monopolies some hundred years after being founded.

This isn't entirely true unfortunately and honestly wasn't entirely true to begin with. Fuck Catholics and fuck blacks but the idea is nice and certainly held sway among businessmen.

lol

So a survival-based game? What kind of enemies could it have?

Those are my favourite. I love hearing the two or three facts Veeky Forums knows about poland repeated ad nauseum.

Greenlandic folklore is the single most horrific shit ever, so this would be an interesting thing to explore
>Spirits possessing human bodies that kill whole villages
>Sea goblins that drag you underwater late at night
>Demons that blend into the snow that kills you slowly via tickling you to death with its claws (aka frostbite).
>Shapeshifters with inverted eyes and mouths
>Shadow people that make no noise when moving
>Worm-gods that are the size of a continent sleeping underneath the ice

I wish every thread were like int

just give every board flags, I'm sure it would devolve into it eventually

Why not post on /int/ then?

I'm sensing a survival horror setting brewing

But like, who would be "King" of america? You would have to divide up america in seperate kingdoms, at least three of them

Southwest
Midwest
East Coast