MtG $$$$$$ COMPETITIVE $$$$$$ MODERN GENERAL

Magic: The Gathering Modern General (Competitive Discussion)

>Playing?
>Brewing?
>Metagame thoughts?

Decklists:
> mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
> mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO

Primers:
> mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

Weekly Modern Metagame:
> mainphasemtg.net/gamingcontentblog/2017/4/24/modern-tiered-list-weekly-update-and-analysis-for-42417

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WCD5RsSUmTJJHF870YQZ7oS1xBDTX3a0OPnfoRqKY7I/pubhtml/sheet?headers=false&gid=410422045
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Direct weekly metagame link:
> docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WCD5RsSUmTJJHF870YQZ7oS1xBDTX3a0OPnfoRqKY7I/pubhtml/sheet?headers=false&gid=410422045

Just daily reminder.

If you build a deck with biggest meta share, you are contributing to get fucking banned, because "meta diversity".

Ah, I see we went back to $$$$$$$$$

I doubt it's going to reduce shitposting but we'll see

Burnfag here, how the fuck do I beat bogles? I side in 2 back to nature and 3 or 4 destructive revelry and just never draw them. Am I supposed to mulligan until I get one in my opening hand? He's beat me two weeks in a row and I'm a little salty.

I was saying this before, but today a moron like saffron olive was able to win 6/7 matches with new gideon. That card is going to break the format.

Splash Black.

Good.

Maybe we'll get some better planeswalker removal than Dreadbore. Abrupt Decay is nice, but there's going to be things it can't hit.

So is Faries a meme deck or is it actually good?

it boggles my mind how they let it go to print. Platinum Angel costs 7 mana for the same effect, and sees fringe play. It also dies to path/terminate/cut/dismember So Wizards, in their wisdom, decides to reduce the cost by 4, make it so the effect doesn't die to path/terminate/dismemenber/cut/etc, and then also make it so that even if you kill it, they can just recycle old gideons to sustain it, who are also harder to kill.

This is better than Platinum Angel in almost every way, by a fucking lot, and any deck running white should consider playing it.

Yes

It doesn't actually do anything. Proxy the deck up and play it. It's pretty dull.

hey, can someone buy me grixis ninjas. i really want to play this game but do not have the money. any rich anons out there. will give feet pics

Not amazing but it's not bad. Because Your shit flies you get over most blockers, Bitterblossom gets you a chump blocker every turn and everything flashes iirc. I've been playing ir for like a week and it's decent. Do note Tron is almost an autoloss for you game 1. I have Fulminators and Ceremonious Rejections sided but it still doesn't always get me a win against it.

TY for that. After DRS, BBE, Pod, Twin and Eye... I finally got the message.
Not mad at all for drs, pod and eye, but fucking twin and bbe were random as fuck.

Post list cuck

>mfw turn 3 bbe into lili
Please never again

It was literally gideon tribal+lingering souls.

With that he was able to destroy the format.

Iirc you need Cryptics, Vendillion Cliques, and Snappys for that. Feet pics won't cut it unless they're like massive footfags

What were his matchups?

ok. how about gifts storm

Will do anything

2 Tron matches
1 Death's Shadow Jund
1 Vizier Druid
1 Ad Nauseam
1 Mill
1 Smallpox

He only lost the VizierDruid match.

Start with zombie hunt and work your way up. You could be asking for a deck of 60 forests and nobody would put in the effort of sending it to you.

What decks do you guys own? Do you like to diversify your deck portfolio by using multiple types of decks?

I have Burn, Elves and Knightfall. All I need is some shitty control deck.

Three of those aren't real decks.
He got absolutely stomped by the Vizier Druid. There was no response to CoCos whatsoever.

I have zero concerns about this memebrew as it stands. It probably loses to Elves.

He lost the druid matchup due to a serious misplay on his part IMO. He might not have ultimately won it if he took the proper line of play, but he wouldn't have lost when he did.

And I don't think this build is the actual build. I'm just saying that the new gideon allowed him to destroy some of the best decks in the format, while playing with memes, and being a moron.

He also won heavily using Grixis Ninjas, so I wouldn't think too highly of the deck.

Hell, he could have even edited the video to show only the good matches. His following is big enough to drive some sales, so I wouldn't put it too far behind him to do something like this.

>Get job
>Get cards
>Consistently top 8 GPS to get sponsored
>Get every deck free because sponsored

The only match I know for sure he excluded is a tron matchup, since it was a duplicate. AgainstTheOdds videos also often see him losing 5-8 times in a row, so I doubt the edit the series for sells.

Furthermore, we already know Gideon is incredible, purely from analyzing the card.

Combine it all together, and the picture of a format defining card is becoming clearer and clearer.

have jorb, game is TOO expensive

sound strat but i don't think zombie hunt is spiking fnm for 50 dollar store credit any time soon

>Take out loan
>Buy cards
>Git gud
>Win money back

Foolproof

>have job game is too expensive
Maybe don't work as a Wendy's chef?

>ad nauseum
>not a real deck
You're a big gay homo faggot

>tfw you work as a janitor at shitdonalds in Canada and you can still afford to play this children's card game

Really hoping this combo breaks CoCo enough that they print some responses to it.

That card was never playtested and shouldn't have been released.

Cage and Teeg exist but I'm not sure what you mean by responses.

This is the direction to go but instead of splashing black for the effect just use pic related.

Do you live in Alaska or something? Who the fuck still has bogles in his meta?

Your LGS meta isn't the world meta
There's no Affinity, Death Shadow or Jund in mine

I have had 2 bogles players in LGS and they both switched at some point last year.

I'm not the first user by the way
There's no Bogles either and, as far as I know, I'm the only one playing a tier 1 deck

I want your meta. Where are you?

In a dead city, probably on the other side of the planet
Calais, France

So I've concocted a brew that can semi-reliably win on turn 3.5, via that fancy new infinite mana set up and your choice of Genesis Wave, Chord of Calling, or Tooth and Nail. I feel like a lot of the list is just baggage/filler though, that or it could just be the nature of combo decks and not drawing what you need. Here's the list so you guys can shit all over it:

Creatures (26)
4 Vizier of Remedies
4 Devoted Druid
2 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Spawnsire of Ulamog
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
3 Eternal Witness

Spells (14)
4 Chord of Calling
4 Collected Company
4 Genesis Wave
2 Tooth and Nail

Lands (20)
4 Windswept Heath
4 Temple Garden
7 Forest
5 Plains

Sideboard (Incomplete):
1 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
2 Vines of Vastwood
4 Path to Exile

Sideboard is a work in progress. The eldrazi are there for Spawnsire, Paths are self explanatory, and the vines are there as an attempt at safeguarding the combo pieces against more interactive/removal heavy decks.

This is the worst deck I have ever seen

This is terrible my man. Brewing is not for you

>want to build mill meme for fun
>gtu price
Why hasn't it been reprinted as an uncommon in a master set yet? Fuck.

So how would you make it work user, as you're the brewmaster here.

Okay, couple of things.

First, you have too many finishers. Cut down to about 5 total cards that you can finish off after assembling the combo. (Personally, I've always thought a classic infinate Fireball, or similar card is the way to go.)

Second, you don't have enough creatures to make CoCo good. See pic related. You're likely to hit one, but you always want to hit two. Jam more creatures, or cut CoCo.

I would scrap then entire thing and start from scratch. I don't care enough to build a deck for you however

>uncommon
Mill like this in draft is very powerful.
>Inb4 fuck limited
Many people like it and it can be fun

I personally run 8 finishers 4 chord, 3 duskwatch and a ballista, also coco is pretty much a win as I run 3 ewit and 3 Recruiter, I've only fizzled a couple times after casting coco with infinite mana

Sure, as said I feel like a lot of the list is fat needing to be trimmed. At the moment it's more a "proof of concept", seeing what portions of the deck are actually reliable/consistent and shaving it down from there.

So you have no idea and just want to talk shit, got it.

Here's the list I'm working with, you don't need to splash red or black desu
Creature (30)
4x Birds of Paradise
4x Devoted Druid
3x Duskwatch Recruiter Flip
2x Eternal Witness
1x Fiend Hunter
3x Kitchen Finks
1x Knight of the Reliquary
1x Magus of the Moon
1x Reclamation Sage
1x Scavenging Ooze
1x Spellskite
1x Viscera Seer
4x Vizier of Remedies
2x Voice of Resurgence
1x Walking Ballista
Land (22)
4x Forest
1x Gavony Township
1x Ghost Quarter
1x Kessig Wolf Run
1x Overgrown Tomb
1x Plains
1x Razorverge Thicket
1x Stomping Ground
3x Temple Garden
4x Windswept Heath
4x Wooded Foothills
Instant (8)
4x Chord of Calling
4x Collected Company

I think it's finally playable. If you're a good player you can win some games, but that logic goes for almost any deck.

Why would you infinite mana into an Emrakul instead of infinite mana into infinite damage?

They can just make it a mythic uncommon like path and IoK

>don't need to splash Black or Red
>Viscera Seer and Magus of the Moon

Hang on a minute....

too unfair in draft

people are overreacting to this Gideon nonsense

the only reason it saw any success was because of how much of a curveball it is

I'm saying you don't need to splash for either of them as they're not 100% crucial. I splash for them cause I think they're pretty good, you're a retard.

I think it's playable. Maybe even tier 2

I'm not retarded. Your sentence structure was unclear. What you should have said is, "I splashed Black and Red in my deck, but you don't have to"

All i own is grixis delver, though i might get the death's shadows to go grixis death's shadow.

You play deflecting palm and do 20 damage with 2mana. This is not that hard mate.

Also
>Back to nature

I own G/B Tron, Bant Eldrazi, and Mono-Green Stompy.

If I wasn't a broke college student I'd probably build Boros Burn or Revolt Zoo and some variety of Delver as well. I love the idea of having an entire library of decks to play with and lend out to people.

>hey let's take an already playable card (platinum angel), reduce the mana cost by more than half, and make it harder to remove!
>Surely the resulting card isn't overpowered!

>harder to remove!
Dies to abrupt decay

i work as a parking valet
i make a lot of money
most of it goes towards my family's medical bills
im just going to start stealing mm3 packs

>doesn't die to cut, terminate, path, or dismember.

Dismember gives it -5/-5, and path exiles it

Only if you're dumb enough to turn it into a creature if you suspect they have those cards.

Nah, Texas.
1 guy plays dsj, another guy is on abzan, and my friend is on eldrazi tron. Every other deck is T2 or below.

I am ashame.
I forget that even tho my sb gets me through games, that it isn't done and I need deflecting palms.

Selfinflicted Wound if you have black mana, Deflecting Palms otherwise.
If your meta is filled with boggles, consider maybe a Patrician's Scorn if you run Helix/Boros charm, it can be a really potent silver bullet imho. Destructive Rev is always amazing, or any green mass enchantment removal

How much have you been playing burn? Deflecting palm bounds so many things from bogles to tron to infect to goy to.... Well I didn't come up with another one, but you know?

why would you ever animate it?

I've been playing burn for the past maybe 6 months, it's my only modern deck. Poorfag tho so I'm still not even done with the mb (need 1 more eidolon and I'm running a cinder glade instead of stomping ground)
My sb isn't that great but since I always top 4 at modern night I forgot I needed palms and such.
I've only played 2 tron decks and I can beat them both pretty easy. I have lost to goyf tho. No infect in my meta so that's not a worry

It was a good standard deck that aged like milk. Bitterblossom was unbanned because even the notoriously gun-shy folks at WotC didn't perceive the deck as even remotely threatening.

you could try skull crack so that the boggle doesn't gain your opponent any life when it hits you. You're still getting beat down by the boggle though.

>fw wanted to buy into modern with Hulk Footsteps
>protean hulk is now $20 each
guess i'll just have to get a real deck instead

I main 3 skullcracks and 4 atarkas command atm. Like you said, turning off lifelink but taking 8 still sucks

>tfw DRS and BBE would be perfectly acceptable if Lotv didn't exist
The #1 complaint from those cards was bbe into lotv/DRS into Lotv was busted. And it was. Lotv is an insane payoff card.

Ban Lotv, free bitchbraid elf

And I have 3 Lotv in my legacy deck so don't >imply I just want her banned because I'm poor.

Thank the commander autists for that shit

>DRS would be okay if lili didn't exist
Please fuck off

no u

Yeah, man, Bogles is a rough matchup. Deflecting Palm helps, so grab those like, today. I've had some success with Anger of the Gods or Volcanic Fallout (not as good, but is an instant.), but it's still not that great. Especially when I have a creature heavy hand + Anger.

Mostly against Bogles, I just do what I can and take my lumps.

Sure senpai, no doubt the single best creature ever printed would be fine in modern.

So it slots in to a lot of decks. I don't see the problem here.

It's literally the brainstorm of creatures you're so dumb and gay I bet you play pox, if you honestly don't think Modern has enough overpowered GBx decks please kill yourself

Because you're an idiot

It's called "The One Mana Planeswalker" for a reason. It's ramp, anti-aggro (with lifegain), extra damage, and graveyard hate all stapled onto a 1 drop.

Every one and their mother would play DRS and also lose to DRS. It is not a card that would be healthy for Modern.

Don't forget it's a legitimate clock by itself as well

You can make me only so erect.

Fuck you, I am a chef at Wendys and I make $120,000 a year + benefits.

I am also 6'4 with a 9 inch dick, get at me fuckboy.

>ban Liliana
>unban BBE
What is this boner

>want to build a new deck
>can't decide on 1 deck
Fuck it

1-3 Control
4-6 Combo
7-9 Tron (aka control)
0 BGx
Doubles Kithkin

Tron is gross

Sweet, another Tron player! Man, I'm so excited!

Actually I hate Tron, but at least the only requirement for "Tron" is playing the lands.

What's the memeiest version of Tron there is?