>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/gMDS2u5j
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

no thread question? come on, dude

>player: "oh great another 10 by 10 dungeon hallway"

Is there any possible way to have a Conquest Paladin that is neutral or even good in general disposition without destroying the universe or is that too much of a stretch for even a goddamn wizard from a coast?

/5eg/ moves very fast and people bring their own, naturally occurring questions. If you really need a conversation-starter, ask your own question,

>You hear a click and the walls start closing in
>Another wall starts to drop in front of the door on the far end
>As you start moving down the hallway you realize it was an illusion
>Tiles start to give out under your feet make decisions saving throws

Lure them into a false sense of security, then make them realize the 10ft pole exists for a reason and to trust nothing not even a hallway.

Fucking phone
>Hallway is longer than it appears
>Dex saving throws

Do you want pfg shit posts? Because that's how we get pfg shit posts.

>starting new campaign with my bros
>one friend brings his GF
so what type of goblinoid are you?
>oh I'm not playing a goblinoid
oh sweet it's been a while since we've had an orc
>oh I'm not playing an orc either.

>mfw
women are the worst.

You get shitposts in Pfg because most everyone still playing it is shit.

So what's she playing?

did yall say it was a goblinoid campaign?

And they're leaking over here as "memes" to get discussion going in threads. Unfortunately most people can't be trusted to not fuck up something decent.

How do I make dungeons interesting and not a series of square rooms and hallways

Feels about the Stone Sorcerer?

every campaign is a goblin campaign
sometimes I play a goblin, sometimes I play a hobgoblin but other than orky's we don't accept other races as they always complicate things.

Verticality

Make massive chambers where the entry is in the floor and exit on the ceiling, where the pit trap is the means of progression, and where falling damage actually means something.

Wait, did your friend tell her that last bit?

It takes Pact of Tome several levels to surpass Pact of Chain in utility. Also, never forget the Darkness+Imp+Devil's Sight combo

maybe he proabably thought it would be okay seeign as this was our fourth goblin campaign and we changed characters each time so maybe he thought we would be lenient, we let her be a hummie wild mage captive. her boyfriend played a half orc and they had a romance sub plot.

stupid hummies always complicate everything.

okay but did anyone actually tell her this?

idk about that man, i have 13 spells at lvl 3 with Tome

See
Also has a pretty solid idea, hide things around the room that lead to a safer or more direct path and possibly loot. Stick some mimics in a room that look like random furniture or chests. Have Ropers hiding near rubble from a semi collapsed portion of the hallway.

>Take find familiar as a ritual spell
>take guidance as a cantrip
>and shillaleagh
>be half of each other pact and then some
>lacking utility

I mean that's a great combo but still

If you literally actually mean your dungeons are nothing more than rooms and hallways, anything. I'll give you some stuff to think about.
>the construction is unusual
Made of a weird material. Incorporates a lot of natural features, like rooms connected to small caves which have holes to look through into other rooms or tunnels to squeeze through that might put them somewhere else. The lighting is provided by glowing mushrooms or crystals. Etc
>the monsters
There's a unique social structure the party can explore/exploit. The creatures stalk and ambush the party. There's only a few creatures but they keep coming back.
>make each room different
Take a base room. Now change one thing. Now you have a special room. A room with a bottomless pit, a room with scaffolding, a room with a swinging arm with a pulley, a room with a big forge, a flooded room, a room full of boxes. Even if you put the same encounter in each room they're gonna be different and unique because of the special feature.
>special small things
Skeletons of previous delvers, clues as to what lies ahead, some kind of shrine, any kind of bullshit. Any time you feel like you would say "ok, this goes on for a while-" make it not just go on for a while. If you're having to fast-forward through traversal in your dungeon, you have wasted space.

The DMG has a lot of tables at the end for random shit to roll for and put in your dungeon. Rooms, items, traps, etc. Take a look at that and get some inspiration.

Perfect for my wall of thorns :^)

>13 spells
>The first moment you get access to BoS
Does your DM want to suck your dick or something? What kind of DM would give a player that many magic items at one level?

oh no, mole people are burrowing out from walls and the floor

Quick 5eg

Tell me some non-obvious rooms that can be found in a huge temple

If your players are getting triggered by a hallway, they can get the fuck out. My group got pissy because a lot of the hallways were 5 feet wide and they couldn't maneuver much. Bitch these bandits dug this shit out underground, why would they quadruple their digging efforts to make it easier for invaders to maneuver around to attack them?

That said I am trying to make more interesting dungeons. I am getting bored of dungeons as adventuring space anyway... I tend to avoid them, or make them very realistic (i.e. almsot completely abandoned except for 1 encounter, or a fortress where if they attack one person they need to roll stealth to make sure they don't get attacked by the entire fort)

Infirmary where priests took care of sick and wounded

Wall of stone to block them off ot buy afew rounds

im bringing in a new LE char to the party and to do so i have to get rid of someone (the party is being assigned an extra member by the army (my old character left the party), im going to take that characters identity before the party meets them). we're all in a large city at the moment and i have one day to take out the target. im a thief with no magical abilities/items, though i am very persuasive, and the target is an academic

can you guys think of a cool way of getting rid of the target besides just killing them?

oh no, the molemen can teleport

Antilife shell

>Have players go through sewer/corridor
>Have it be home to something far beyond the players level
>Make maze of sewers
>Players scared as fuck of said creature observing them in the dark corners of the sewer/narrow corridors
>Have soundboard on hand for extra spook

It was improvised for the tunnel part for Dragon Hoard and they thought it was the best part. Dropped the campaign shortly after in favor of another campaign

A storage room full of chairs, altars, candelabras, etc
A music room with lots of instruments. Maybe something cool happens when interacted with.
A crypt underneath. Might be rich tombs, might be skeletons.
Offices for clergy? For day shit? Or apartments

Store room where supplies where kept

>dexterity saving throws

Why the fuck did these need to exist? There was literally nothing wrong with Fortitude, Reflex, and Will. They were even part of the D&D identity, and D&D is nothing without its identity. That's why HP, AC, alignment, and multiple other shitty mechanics haven't been fixed despite there being obvious ways to objectively improve the game through doing so.

However, Merals wanted to pander to AD&D grognards so he went back to "every ability score can be used to save" because Charisma saves ("OMG you are using your EGO and CHARM to protect yourself! it's a very struggle for your soul!") or intelligence ("you have to be SMART enough to fight off the intellect devourer's mind blast, cause it;s the power of your minddd") or Strength (this one I can actually see for bullrushing but otherwise no) are so undervalued in D&D otherwise. So it's great that despite having a good Wisdom, which is defined as your willpower, you can still fall victim to all manner of mental attacks, but if you are low-Strength you'll get fucked by physical attacks despite being tough as fuck. All they did was spread out the saves for no reason and make characters weak to shit for no fucking reason. Saves might as well not exist as a mechanic because of how fucking ambiguous it is as to when you use them. Sure it's more "elegant" in some ways but in others it's just clunky as fuck, and if you are even pretending D&D is meant to be designed elegantly then you need to burn out the entire system and rewrite everything.

Sorry about the diagnosis.

What diagnosis? Being 100% right?

When has your DM let you get away with breaking the rules of the spell for plot reasons

>ranger's animal companion kills the cloud giant countess in SKT and we really want her sick loot
>DM lets me use reincarnate and she comes back as a drow
>the countess had killed 2 of King Hekaton's kids who tried to form a political allience with her after running away
>hekaton decides bringing them back as smallfolk would be a gitting punishment for their misbehavior
>one comes back as a hill dwarf and one as a dragonborn
>everyone has a good laugh but them

>Elegant
>5e

They made that system as bare bones as possible to try and get more people playing, they are attempting to accommodate the lowest common denominator to stay relevant in the future.

Are Fortitude Reflex and Will not the same fucking thing under a different name?

Than why the fuck are you in /5eg/?

It's so impressive how treatment is these days. It's almost like you're normal.

Then change the saves in your game to Fort, Reflex, and Will. Easy.

>when mommy didn't get you your tendies on time

Because it doesn't bother me and it's what my friends play, even though I don't mind the system I'm willing to admit some of it's faults. Do they need to be changed? Not really it'd complicate the system they built from the ground up to be simplistic.

>However, Merals wanted to pander to AD&D grognards so he went back to "every ability score can be used to save"
t. Never read AD&D
Only WIS affected saves (and only magical saves). Otherwise saves were determined by class.

Kek

Why is it that when people complain about Mearls they always misspell his name as Merals?

Advice for statting something? I want my player's to fight the ghost of a fallen hero (he was a paladin) but I'm drawing a blank on how I should go about it.

My mom always gets the tendies on time you slanderous fuck!

What level are they?

Autists can't spell.

a ghost with class levels in paladin

Right now 4, but I'm planning ahead so they should be around 10-12 when they face him.

Seriously just give him some paladin levels

Well depending on how you want to run it has a point.

Personally though I'd Frankenstein something together starting with the Gladiator as a base. Bump the AC to 18, depending on if he'll have minions or not also give a boost to HP, give him the damage resistances and immunities along with conditions from the ghost. Then plug in some spells (or all) from the Death Knight to give it the paladin flavor.

The main thing will also be deciding if you want the ghost to be able to posses people or not.

nice, but in before party wipe.
You need to make sure they know there's stuff they could run into that's beyond their ken and capabilities first somehow.

I just built my character right, DM had no say in it. I have the spell you get from being a tiefling, i have all the spells allowed to me, plus the extra spells from BoS, BoAS, and I've got 2 rituals from the evocation

He's LG, doesn't want to fight the party he's just compelled to because his spirit is guarding an item they need. He wants the party to defeat him so he can move on but has no way of really pulling his punches.

What's better, 2d20 take the highest or 3d20 take the middle?

Give the actions, special traits, immunities and resistances of the phantom warrior in Curse of Strahd to the champion in Volo's Guide to Monsters.

in what context

Then he'd probably avoid possession, also reflavor any necrotic as radiant.

To my recollection, most saves are dex wis and con saves in 5e, just with a couple of changed ones for strenght and a mere few for int and cha.

Of all the things to complain about 5e, saves is a nitpick. It stilll functions fine- perhaps more sensibly for some saves.
It's ok to have nitpicks though. I have a few minor ones of my own. Like, why the disarm rule isn't in the players handbook and is instead in the dungeon masters guide only.

One think I actually like a lot about 5e is how shot on the run and spring attack are now standard affair and not restrictive on how you use the feature.

>observant feat
>5 in Wis
>expertise in perception

Is there a 5e NPC codex somewhere?
The back of the Monster Manual isn't really cutting it for me.

There's another one in the back of Volo's Guide to Monsters, but that's it.

>he still can't see why his wife left

pastebin.com/gMDS2u5j
>Minotaur

>Reckless
>+1 Str
>At the start of your next turn you can choose to gain advantage on all attack rolls until the end of your next turn but all attack rolls against you also have advantage.

>The Sea Faring Kind
>+1 Dex
>You gain a swim and climb speed equal to your highest movespeed.
>You also gain proficiency carpentry and rope work.

>Work Bull
>+1 Str
>You count as two size categories larger for the purposes of push and pull. 1 Size category larger for the purposes of lift and carry.
Would merfolk be fine with repeating triton or are they unique enough?

Revenant

>Undying Hatred
>+1 Con
>Relentless nature now returns 3 hp per turn as opposed to 1.

>Expert Hunter
>+1 Wis
>Gain proficiency in Survival. If you are already proficient in survival gain expertise.
>In addition, gain advantage on attack rolls against any creature involved in your goal for the first round of combat.

>Hound of Tindalos
>+1 Int
>You may cast Dimension Door once You may only use it to appear within a non-curved corner of an available space. You regain the ability when you have completed a step in your goal. This may be as simple as finding new evidence.

>Baleful Screech
>+1 Cha
>Gain proficiency in intimidation. If you are already proficient in intimidation gain expertise.
>In addition , you can scream and expend two hit dice worth of HP to force each creature of your choice within 30 feet of you to make a Wisdom saving throw. (DC 8+Cha+Proficiency)
A target automatically succeeds if it can’t hear you. On a failed save, a target becomes frightened for 1 minute.
If the frightened target takes any damage, it
can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success.

But can he see why kids love okay I'll stop.

>Still can't see why kids love the taste of cinnamon toast crunch

evidence or direction*
Fuck me I messed up that sentence.

Just on average, which would someone prefer? Clearly in a hail Mary situation where you need an 18-20, 2d20 take highest is best, but when does 3d20 take middle become better?

You could send them for an exotic vacation. Perhaps aboard a ship. All expenses paid.

t-they're undead molemen

Reminder that bless is outperformed by cure wounds.

they wouldnt do it because they were really looking forward to going on an adventure

how would you make a repelling encounter dangerous/fun

there should be a paladin in the mm or volo's annexes.

Fewer rules is not worse than many rules, if the rules serve mostly to restrict and overcomplicate something ultimately simple.

3.5e and 4e and Pathfinder's overcomplicated and overly restricting rules for movement and basic actions, do not actually have more depth.
Just more specificity.

Simpler rulesets are potentially more powerful.

Volo's has a CR 8 Blackguard. Which is interesting given those aren't in 5e proper. I think it was an Oathbreaker.

Oathbreaker.

Make it a skill challenge, and, this being an adventure, halfway down the line they're attacked by flying minons/creatures.

Not even memeing, pull a Battletoads and have them get attacked while going down.

>i want to-
>attack of opportunity
>im gonna mov-
>attack of opportunity
>im gonna switch out my wea-
>attack of opportunity

I'd have weak flying minions and medium wall crawling ones in between.

Monsters with climb speed. They try to pull out anchors. Having to keep one hand on your line to keep the friction on it so you don't fall. Flying creatures dive bomb the players then fly off. Lightning strikes (make the wall they're rappelling down on a 10x10 grid, roll 2d10 to determine what square the lightning hits)
Critters climb down the ropes towards the characters, they've got only 3 or 4 rounds to get them off until the rope breaks from the weight.
Somebody casts suggestion on them to do something innocuous that involves taking both hands off the rope so they fall.
Using the disarm action on them so they drop their shit.

>Halfway down they find an unexplored tunnel
>they go explore
>when they get back, the rapelling hole is gone
DUN DUN DUN

It doesn't matter what kind of situation you're in, it's never better.

this is some next level autism and i don't think it even represent reliably any human driven combat.

like, no of the initial assumptions make sense and even then, it is fucking stupid to compare BLESS with CURE WOUNDS when they do completely different things. cure wounds can only heal a single person while bless can 'prevent damage' either by killing something a round faster or by helping pass save DCs and that's somehow not taken into account at all?

Your mistake is thinking there is more that one autist doing it.
Many can and have gripes with 5e, but Merals guy is only the shittiest.

How do I play a character who is racist against half-breeds?
What's the best way that doesn't make me "that guy"

But it's always better than 2d20 take lowest, right? I was thinking of using a half advantage, I just wanted to be sure it was actually always better than disadvantage and never better than advantage.

Flying and climbing creatures it is, not sure how I'd mix them though.
Anyone relying on melee or two handed would be at a huge disadvantage though, but I guess that's the challenge in it, maybe even encourage using other actions than Attack.

how about not being a racist?
i don't know if you are looking to vent some IRL shit in your tabletop but racism for the sake of ??? is still fucked up.

Not venting anything, just want to maybe add a flaw to my characters.