>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

Previously, on /5eg/...

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/X1TFNxck
pastebin.com/6aQ0LDh5
drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Qx4NeOkTzTZzhIQW1BdF9NM2c/view
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Can I create a bard/wizard and become a Necrodancer or is it too dependent on multiple stats?

I'm thinking of making a melee Drow Dragon Sorcerer. Most likely Red for GFB spam.

Aside from Shield and Haste are there any spells that I can't give up?

>pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)
What did he mean by this?

Can this be Mystic edition?
What are your favorite disciplines and how do you like your mystics, blastery mind fuckery or psychometabolic psiblades?

>Necrodancer
Go on and do it. A dumbfuck like you deserves a broken character.

eh i fucked up the copy paste, shit happens

just be a pure bard and pick necromancery spells.

That would be Int and Cha focused. You could do it.

But at the same time you don't need to. Bards get magical secrets and raise dead. Just go Lore Bard, grab Animate Dead and be good.

>dumbfuck
There is no need to be upset friendo.

I a big green meanie was runnin full spring at me with a great axe I'd say thats probably overly aggressive

No it would get superior dark vision

What do you give to players if they are starting off at a higher level?

I usually have mine roll (gold)x10 per level.

How much gold should I let players start with in a grittier game? I was thinking of 80 so they have enough to start with some armour, a weapon and a few basics but that seems a bit low.

Enough gold to outfit themselves and maybe a roll or two on the magic table.

I need ideas for fighters. What are some character concepts you've played or want to play that fit with the class?

>superior dark vision from duergar, or
>Normal dark vision from elf

Meh, either one. Why does this NPC, who is an architect, need a distinct parentage, anyhow?

Just say, "Look! It's a funny looking duergar."

Why not have the architect be an even odder race? Like an earth genasi, slaad, or a bunch of awakened dogs in a trench coat.

>>superior dark vision from duergar, or
>>Normal dark vision from elf

If he's half-drow half-duergar then both his parents have superior Darkvision. Why wouldn't he?

pastebin.com/6aQ0LDh5
Complete expanded 5e racial feats here now.
Ready for proofreading and bitching about how your favorite subrace didn't get anything because I'm too lazy to make shit for all the different fucking goblins.

Lizard Chef.

Lizardfolk Battlemaster with Gourmand (from the UA Feats).

You get to kill monsters, make crafts out of them, and feed the party. Full Dungeon Meshi style.

A older character who used to be a moderately successful Paladin. Turns out that without all the magic he's back to a regular joe and so he's trying to become as strong, fast and tough as he used to be.

>Lorebard
>Not Diresinger homebrew.

Ex town guard, since he was a kid always wanted to travel and adventure just like in the books he read. Instead ended up following in his dad's footsteps and joined the guard living a life he hated. One day decides enough is enough and packs up supplies, resigns from the guard and sets off to do what he's always wanted.

Small town farm boy who was forced into adventuring due to reasons. His dad was a former soldier so he learned from him and decided to keep doing it once he left.

Dwarf soldier framed for a crime he didn't commit, fled to the surface to try and live his life in peace. Longs for home but has no way of returning unless he wants to be executed.

Former gladiator who decided instead of growing old he wanted to die in combat. He had figured it would happen in the ring but no one could best him, he now seeks an opponent worthy of claiming his life.

No need to resort to awful homebrews when the option is already available.

Assuming the genes pass through alright. Might get a worse version due to the shuffle.

What is the setting? Aren't dwarves incompatible with other races, typically?

>Assuming the architect's gender

What's your take on players that use dice rolls for everything?

Such as using dice to decide whether they will intervene in a situation or not, rolling to see if they'll answer yes or no, to lie or tell the truth, to steal or to pay?

Sounds like a wild magic sorcerer I DM'd for.

Sounds chaotic neutral

Noble who is 12th in line for the throne, instead of sitting around doing nothing like his brothers and sisters decides to help his family's kingdom by adventuring, trained by an old soldier.

Noble whose house has fallen on hard times, can be inheritor or farther down. Goes out to bring fame and honour back to his family name to better their position.

Former street thug who decided a life of crime wasn't his best option. Went out adventuring to make something of himself.

What the fuck are all those lines all over his (normal) face? Is he turning into werewolf or something?

Is that supposed to be shading? Jesus.

For cantrips like fire bolt, do you add your int modifier or no? Is it only when it specifically states so?

He was carefully half dipped into a vat of elemental edge

Are you fucking retarded its a racial trait of both of them so to draw up a punnet square (assuming its a simple genetic thing and assuming theyre both the dominate trait)

Only when it says so, like in the improved cantrip feature

Oh right you meant the normal half. Make it less carefully, then.

I think they were going for hatching (an art technique that involves depicting shade using parallel lines) but failed spectacularly.

Original user who asked the question here, long story short, an OotA game got interesting when the players decided to try and recruit as many NPCs as possible. Two of those members were a drow guard and a druegar mason, which, over the course of many sessions and many strange dice rolls, got into a lasting relationship despite the traditional racial tension between drow and druegar.

Subsequently, after the OotA module, the party got involved in some shaky time shenanigans and has ended up a century in the future. They want to check everything out, including what happened to their old NPC friends. Hence, that is a rough explanation of how I got into this situation.

Forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder user.

Genes are an interesting subject on their own, though you are correct dwarves are not terribly compatible with most other races. I had a chart I saved from /5eg/ that had details for this kind of stuff, though I can't find it. Regardless, you can bet there was a spell involved.

I have a player who wants to use Wish to essentially never age so he can play in legacy. He knows I'll make him take the 33% chance to lose the spell if he goes for full immortal should I make him roll anyway, it seems fairly benign

No need for something like that. If he's got wish, just show him this.

I'd make him roll

I'm making a melee meme Arcana Cleric for my next game. Would playing him as an anti-mage be a good idea?

I was going to make him come from a magocracy as a specially trained soldier for a noble's personal army. After finding out some secret about his captain he ran away and settled on adventuring to make some money and put his skills to use.

Can't really think of something so big it would make him run away from the people who trained him since he was a kid though.

Repeating an unanswered question from one of the previous threads. Is the DM's guild Mega trove still up somewhere? I'm searching for 'Limitless Adventures' stuff pdfs to be precise.

so I accidentally turned one of my characters into ichigo or gave them an inner hollow.

>magical aberration curses/creates a revenant/reverse doppelganger of barbarian
>barbarian is also using berserker's axe
>barbarian firbolg basically werebears~ during his rage, his doppelganger is a polar bear since he is a grizzly
>kills the doppelganger with his berserker axe, and realizes that the aberration just realized his inner demons/evil since he has been acting murderhobo and he is supposed to be NG
>he kind of becomes his evil doppelganger when the axe makes him berserk
>aggregate my notes
>FUCK I made an inner hollow

So what's the general consensus of hexblade pact warlocks and their general invocations around them? Any decent for making a melee warlock?

>tfw you accidentally go full anime
never go full anime.

Got into a fight with his mentor, panicked thinking he'd be executed and fled.

charisma overlord, paladin 2/warlock 2/sorcerer 3/bard X

you are a conflicted soul haunted by megalomania, you've been trying to right wrongs but ended up fucking everything else accidentally. you are a god a combat and social interactions but you don't notice and won't ever realize your true potential. in the end you think you are a regular joe but deep down you know you are a sociopath.

campaign is pretty grounded. the craziest thing that has happened is the samurai being enlarged and wrestling a giant crab.

well, he's not talking to in his head, his doppelganger isn't edgy chaos evil and talks mad shit, as much as just a lust for violence and murder, reason he was exiled from his village for being a barbarian firbolg anyway. Basically his spirit guide, a wolf/orc spirit is going to help him purify his spirit and break him out of the berserker axe curse.

If your set on that backstory, then perhaps you can do something with the Noble himself. Maybe the noble is apart of a sect planning some grand evil scheme, and merely telling the authorities about it will get you nowhere due to the noble's good reputation and your character's apparent lack of hard evidence.

This sounds incredible, but terrifying at the same time.

I playtested it at level 3, and I discovered that I could deal ~60 damage by using a 2nd level spell slot for Not!smite on a crit. Also, taking the one that gives you the greatsword that lets you switch your curse after kills is great for battles with lots of mooks, as you can recover a lot of HP from them. It isn't all that MAD either if you use a 1-handed weapon and pump CON and CHA, though I like adding STR into the mix so I can use 2-handed weapons.

It is very short rest dependent though if you want to be super effective.

If he goes for never aging, then who gives a fuck, you can still kill him outside of natural causes. Being ageless doesn't mean safe.

Now if he goes for full ageless and inability to be killed, THEN you fuck his wish up.

Did the wrestling result in the party being able to attack the crab's weak point and/or massive damage?

Hexblade, Pact of the don't take blade you stupid fuckface, use a one-handed weapon and use greenflame blade. Just blast and burn. Everything else is pretty much a trap.

The major issue is that it's not really a terrible lot better than anything else. A regular old tome warlock of any pact can just grab shelleleigh and be just as good while also still being a tome warlock and having any patron they fucking want.

The new invocations look cool but they're pretty much all STR based except the bow one, which, sure, that looks okay I guess, but the others are mostly traps because YOU'RE IN LIGHT ARMOR YOU STUPID FUCK.

The hexblade one with the greatsword, however, might be okay because you get a goddamn smite that rebounds all your spells on a short rest, so you essentially become a super-squishy glass paladin with no healing or survival skills and a shitload of blasting which is now redundant because you're just going to vomit d8s of warlock smite on shit anyways.

>awful
What's awful about it?

>give_her_the.jpg

Hexblade in a vacuum is good. It fixes Bladelocks with better AC, weapons from level 1 and less MAD.

It can't be published as is for a few reasons. One of it's main invocations is way too powerful with smites and stops you using your class features, it make EBlocks even more powerful and it doesn't multiclass well.

I'd make it a pact that forces you to take Blade, make the smite an actual feature of the pact and scale it down to Paladin level and remove the Charisma thing. There's already too many characters who can ignore needing Strength for melee when Strength should be the best at it.

Could have different mechanisms for the vision that get messed up during that shuffle. These are Drow and Duergar mixing, nothing needs to be simple in this.

Did you know that a Liger, cross between a female tiger and a male lion, is bigger than either of them?

The particular mechanisms don't need to be in a Dominant-Recessive allele structure. Could be hormonal, and that gets messed up when mixing the maturation rates and hormones of Drow and Duergar.

Sounds like a good enough reason.

>If your set on that backstory, then perhaps you can do something with the Noble himself. Maybe the noble is apart of a sect planning some grand evil scheme, and merely telling the authorities about it will get you nowhere due to the noble's good reputation and your character's apparent lack of hard evidence.

That was an idea. I'm not set on the backstory and open to suggestions, that was just the first thing I thought of.

sometimes you know what you as a player want to do, but doubt your character knows so as well. i unironically roll for common sense when i need my character to do something he doesn't really have any reason to do, in-character and all that crap, but for the sake of party coherence and plot progression it would be better if he intervened.

i tell my dm to set a DC and roll against it with no mods, if my character 'fails' the common sense check he has to do right-for-the-sake-of-the-narrative action, if he 'succeeds' i decide in-character the action.

it's autistic but my group doesn't really seem to care much about it. almost all my characters are special fucks but they always carry their sad asses out of pickles, regardless of common sense.

He can already do it through several degrees as through so just let em.

it's still MAD as fuck, specially if you want the smite invocations, but it overall works better than any other attempt at a melee competent warlock without needing to multiclass.

Gotcha, so best to focus on blasting and whatnot then.

At least you're trying.

I had a douchenozzle who wanted to play a bladelock because the party needed some frontlining. And he planned to do this with a glaive as his pact weapon.

But when time came to spread out his ability scores... he dump-statted both Strength and Dexterity.

Does anyone have any good advice for writing a campaign guide? Just to give the players some basic setting knowledge and let them know the variant rules I'm using.

Fucking brilliant.

What are the best homebrew classes/archetypes/etc you guys have seen for 5e?

Question about Wizards and their spell books.

Can a Wizard that knows a spell from different source transcribe the spell into their spellbook so that they can cast it as a Wizard?

Example:

A fire genasi learns produce flame and burning hands, but can only cast them as first level spells, and the Spell DC is Constitution based. Can a Fire Genasi wizard take the time and money to put burning hands in their spell book, and cast it as a wizard using spell slots?

Without finding another source (tutor/scroll/leveling) for the spell, I mean.

Give a list of your Ariana rules. Give page numbers at least, preferably include the actual rules to save on book searching.

Include 1 page write-ups of custom races

Do half page to full page write-ups of factions/nations/religions.

Don't write everything in heavy paragraph form. Keep everything as much to lists as possible.

best is a word i wouldn't use in the same sentence with homebrew, but i did go through some draconic subclasses for a character concept i never got around playing.

the middle finger of vecna has some stuff that isn't completely broken, i'd stay away from dandwiki and maybe look for stuff in giantitp or enworld to see the feedback/comments.

ultimately a homebrew is good if it works for your table, and if everyone agrees about its strengths and shortcomings.

Raw, no, but I'd allow it.

i remember reading somewhere that you could always fuel your spells gotten through other sources with spellslots but i didn't look out for the sources.

Ariana rules?

Unearthed Arcana rules?

You unfortunately can't.

Personally I give Sorcerers and Wizards the ability to. Sorcerers have them always as spells known and Wizards can pay the money to scribe them in.

Homebrew comes in varying qualities.

I want to increase the variety of options available to the PCs in my next campaign, but I would rather do so with the best balanced Homebrew around, rather than DnDwiki tier shit.

Hence looking for suggestions on Homebrewed player content that you guys liked.

Variant rules.

Fucking phone.

I like this to get some real use out of tool proficiency.

Comes with scavenging rules.

The Revised Wot4E Monk is actually pretty fun to watch in action while remaining fairly tame.

Personally, letting players get new spells is pretty cool too. I like to use "The (Not Really) Complete Tome of Spells: Ultimate Edition" because they are all spells from older editions translated for use in 5e, though I don't let them just choose from it. I usually give them spells from it in spell scrolls or tomes, and from there they can harvest the spell for their use. I do advise tweaking the spells you think are busted though. Link: drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Qx4NeOkTzTZzhIQW1BdF9NM2c/view

What would yall think about magic items gaining additional abilities once you meet certain requirements? Like
Covetous: boost or x per day ability once you have wealth (excluding the item) equal to 200 X your level
Identity: if the wielder matches the alignment of the item, they get the ability
Leveler: if the character is the appropriate tier or higher they get the ability.
So
Tenzo, Godo's maul
+1 maul, becomes +3 maul when wielded by a chaotic character. When wielded by a character lvl 15 or higher (legendary), if it reduces a target to 0 hitpoints, you can transfer the remaining damage to another target within 5 feet of you without rolling to hit.

HELP!!!!
My retard group is trying to branch out, how do I stop them from playing non-5e?
Literally all other games are mathy retarded shit or stupid fluffy crap.

Tell them to stop being retarded, I guess

Find another group or suck it up and learn a new game.

Items that grow with a player often feel special to the player. It lets them feel as if they are developing it, especially if you don't tell them about how the weapon improves over time.

Having items develop additional properties based on events and play styles is also fun, since it makes the weapon feel personalized as well. Of course, adding your own flair and surprises to them is good too.

Introduce variant rules into 5e. Find out what attracts them to the other systems, and emulate it with homebrew and houserules. 5e is a flexible game, so it should be able to handle this.

Suck it up. There's lots of great games out there, and you'll never find them if you're too scared to even look at new games.

Nice!

That spellbook is a great find. I may well print it out and stick it on my shelf with my 5e books.

Where do you find the wot4e monk revision you're talking about?

I want to fiddle around with the new Dragonborn unarmored feats, but I want to play as a martial class.

Should I go for Monk or Barbarian?

A few days ago someone asked about making a sort of "Eldritch Touch" cantrip for his Warlock player.

I've been contemplating that idea (magical punches earned via a bargain) and have stumbled upon an idea that might be interesting.

I'm still working out the balancing issues for it, but I'm thinking that this new archetype (for the Monk) where you make a connection to something in the Far Realm, and in return for letting it "see" and "experience" what the Monk player sees, they get benefits in return. Here's what I've come up with so far.

At third level, they can spend a Ki point as a bonus action and for the next minute, so long as they maintain concentration, whenever they punch someone they deal an extra d4 Force damage. The damage die increases to am extra d6 Force damage at 11th level.

At 6th level they get to spend 2 Ki as a reaction to negate an attack upon them if it would hit, as they blink to the Far Realm and re-appear where they stand, and can do it a number of times equal to their WIS modifier before a long rest.

At 11th level they can spend 3 Ki to gain Truesight 30 ft. for a number of minutes equal to Monk level x WIS modifier.

At 17th level they can cast Plane Shift as a ritual without needing material components once per long rest. In addition, as an Action they can turn into an Avatar of the Far Realm, where for the next minute they're resistant to all damage, gain temp HP equal to Monk level + WIS modifier, and every punch that hits deals an additional 1d8 Force damage.

Not sure if its there one but here's one of em.

Thanks! I use it quite a lot for NPCs in my campaigns, and just today I convinced a DM of mine to let me develop the spell Gullship from that book.

Looks like found the Wot4E rework. I want to try it myself sometime.

Dragonborn Punchbarian. DO IT.

Plenty of reasons can explain this. The first one that comes to mind is that if Superior Darkvision is a dominant trait, then assuming both of his parents are heterozygous for the allele, then your offspring in question still has a 25% chance of being homozygous recessive for the trait.
I will not lie, I have never taken a Genetics class, but my Bio series in uni covered several possibilities for trait inheritance.
Maybe Superior Darkvision sex-linked and is X-linked Dominant, but the mother is heterozygous for the trait. If the offspring is male, they will exhibit a 50% chance of inheritance, while all the females will have a 100% inheritance rate.

This is why genetics should never be brought up in D&D.

Sounds good actually. If you didn't want to go through the trouble of making up a bunch of new abilities you could probably just go by the rarity tiers in the DMG.

The stats of a dragonborn lend themselves better to Barbarian, so I would recommend the latter. Not to mention, dragonbreath DC scales with constitution.

>Monk who has gained wisdom from the Far Reams
I'm a sucker for the Far Realms, so I think this is fantastic conceptually. Mechanically, my thoughts are:

>3rd level
Strong, though 3rd level traits need to be strong. This works as is, though I feel it could be made simpler. Perhaps just adding WIS damage to each punch instead of damage dice could do the trick, since monks usually have 14 to 16 wisdom at level 3. This also lets it scale nicely into the late game. Keep the concentration, as that is what prevents this from going overboard, and maybe increase the Ki point cost to 2, since it is a strong feature.

>6th level
I don't know whether or not you let your players take plenty of long rests, though 2 Ki could be costly when compared to a rogue's uncanny dodge. Since it already has a WIS/day restriction, perhaps reducing the Ki cost by a point could keep it balanced.

>11th level
I recommend just making it the same as the spell Truesight, as an 11th level monk would likely have 11 x 3 = 33 minutes and would increase to 20 x 5 = 100 minutes, and keeping track of that could be confusing. A simple 1 hour of truesight is generally all a player needs.

>17th level
I assume the Avatar feature is one per long rest, though it should come with a 3 Ki point cost for lore and balance reasons.

Opinion on Bladesingers?
Friend wants to play one and outside of the shitty hp and no real improvement to damage until 14th level, they seem like a solid AC tank.

Aye, thanks pals.

Murderlizard is a go.

BUT YOU'RE NOT OPTIMISING YOUR CHARACTER

I like making abilities because it let's me get my players to do things, like the barbarian sleeping on top of a mini hoard of treasure so her shield will become wings when strapped to her back.

Alright. The variant rules for my upcoming game that will hopefully go a long time. Anyone see any major issues or have any ideas?

Also does anyone know how to stretch the pdf. longer so it doesn't have the white space?

> Far Realm Monk feedback

I could do WIS modifier to damage as Force, but that seemed odd. I also thought about it scaling as Monk damage die, but then at late game it gets to be potentially a ton of damage dice getting rolled every round.

I think I wanted it to be a high cost on the level 6 ability, because you're spending your reaction to avoid all the damage from one source, which can potentially be a LOT of damage avoided.

Just making the 11th level ability function as the Truesight spell would work just fine. And the Avatar feature is meant to function once per long rest.

The sad part is that I can't tell whether you're genuinely that autistic, or you're being sarcastic and that is the joke.

I'm someone totally unrelated to the conversation between those two and I was being sarcastic. Hopefully this allows you to achieve catharrhis.

You used a double negative in the beginning, so unless you want a smart ass telling you that you asked him to multiclass UA, fix it.

Also, what do you think OP about Mystic?