MTG Standard General

Post cat edition.

Previous Thread: What are you going to play in this brave new standard? I'm going for UB Gearhulk control. What do you think will dominate the format next?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gw-humans-big-sigs-crazy-party/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/28-04-17-red-deck-wins/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/grixis-cycling-3/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/drakecycle/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/28-04-17-gw-budget-humans/
mtggoldfish.com/deck/629788#paper
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/28-04-17-lFO-gruul-energy/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I've been playing this thing. Not quite sure what to add in Amonkhet, but I'm in love with Vizier of Deferment as a removal counter/extra etb value trigger.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gw-humans-big-sigs-crazy-party/

I already know what will dominate Standard.

It's the same deck that will dominate Modern as well

You can flee to any format you'd like, but you will never be free of Gideon

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gw-humans-big-sigs-crazy-party/

tested against and with Always Watching + Glory-Bound Initiate. Can confirm it's bonkers.

I don't think oops all gideons is gonna be a problem. If anything just a consistent meme deck. Easily able to negate platinum gideon or AoZ on the play or not.

>Awake all night Glory Hound is bonkers
That's good to hear. I'm still trying to balance between him and Lone Rider in the deck, but I like in this deck I find that 3 is the magic number in almost every case.

Metallic Mimic is a meme trap.

the deck I was testing had 4 mimics in it, almost saw no use and was a prime target for fatal push T2. DESU you wanna focus on T2 glory bound T3 always watching, t4 lone rider and another glory bound. It's fuckin' tough. I wonder if WR humans packs the same punch...

Just a reminder. Walking corpse is standard legal. In case some brewer has so many zombie synergies and need a black zombie bear for curve reasons.

Once Amonkhet releases tomorrow won't it be the welcome deck 2017 cards that are legal, because walking corpse isn't in this years. Or is it both the 2016 and 2017 decks due to the dumb standard rotation?

I wouldn't know I just combed gatherer for standard cards with the expert expansions filtered out to look for anything that might have a place in standard.
Amonkhet is already part of standard according to gatherer.

So I tweaked this list from mtgoldfish, but the puzzleknots seem eh to me. Anyways, what do y'all think?

I'm an idiot

Friendly reminder that Copy-cat was called a meme deck originally.

Why would I play this meme when I can just put new Gid in a good deck instead?

you mean in mardu vehicles.

I think welcome deck 2016 is legal as long as SOI is legal.

prototype RDW coming thru
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/28-04-17-red-deck-wins/

take out Lathnu Hellion and replace with Hanweir Garrison and slot in Hanweir Battlements somewhere. Also why no shocks?

2 card combo is not over in standard

Turn 3: Play russian gideon
Turn 4: Emblem, Aetherflux reservoir
win the game

Is that what that retard actually ended up implying about Standard?

118.4. If a cost or effect allows a player to pay an amount of life greater than 0, the player may do so only if his or her life total is greater than or equal to the amount of the payment. If a player pays life, the payment is subtracted from his or her life total; in other words, the player loses that much life. (Players can always pay 0 life.)

fucking retard

>I've never actually played a card game on a competitive level before

The EDH thread is two doors down.

Fuck you

The 2 drop zombie from the intro pack is better. It forces everyone to discard a card. But really if you want a 2 drop in a Zombie shell they've got better options than a vanilla beater. Only Vanilla dude i'd play in Standard is Expedition Envoy.

I'm probably going to build humans in some form again.

Do you think it might have use in a budget zombie list?

Have you considered Naya keywords (with Oldric and Samut, Voice of Dissent)?

So which colors have the best token synergy with white? I was gonna go with Blue because of Aven Wind Guide and use the cheaper embalm creatures like Sacred Cat and Anointer Priest along with Hanweir Militia Captain.

difference between those two is pretty significant, lathnu hits immediately for 4, while i not only do i have to wait for an entire turn for the garrison, it gets easily body blocked by snek, advocate, and heart, even if 2 points gets in. In test hands i usually have a lethal amount of damage by turn 4, and then some in hand like burn. As for lack of shock, right now i prefer incendiary flow, shock was mainly for saheeli combo and killing scrap heaps, but saheeli combo is dead and i dont care about scrapheaps since they can't block, incendiary allows for that extra reach or if they got an advocate or snek in path, it gibs them 1 for 1. Im considering the hanweir, but its iffy, only creature itd be use to help swing in early is the 2 drop minotaur, and i already have the hammerhand- i mean cartouche of zeal for that, plus the perma buff and the ability to make a creature unable to block. Main cards im looking at to swap out are probably the hungry flames or flings.
A lot of games go like this
Turn 1 adept
Turn 2 Minotaur, discard a land or some shit, hit for 2 with adept
turn 3, lathnu, hit in for 9
turn 4, miss land drop, its fine, drop another lathnu, hit in for 13

Or
Turn 1 Bomat, hit for 1
Turn 2 Adept and cartouche, hit for 3
turn 3 Minotaur, drop a temper, cast for R, hit face or creature for 3, hit for 3 again
turn 4 play hazoret, hit in for 11

if not dead get cards with bomat or burn out with hazoret ability

Add Temmet to that. Unblockable tokens will win you games

not him but I run it in non-budget zombies and it's super good in any zombie build

>Use to pitch haunted dead
>Use to pitch stitchwing
>Pitch prized amalg
>Drop any zombie and get them back with cemetery recruitment.

Super good card, it's like wailing ghoul but you have control over what you send to the grave AND it hurts your opponent. Not to mention the effect happens after summon so you can play him on an empty hand.

I was still referring to walking corpse. Looking back, I can still see why that was unclear.

Now that the cat is dead, will standard improve or will it become a horrible format like the last 4 or 5 sets?

Do you run From Under the Floorboards?

It seems like we've just gone from 2 top decks to 1, which I suppose means people will build only having to counter one thing and will lead to a new top dog?

No fucking clue tbqhwyf

I think. That now cat is dead Mardu won't be as strong. I never found Mardu to be that tough of a match up (besides Gideon at times) but surely it was only top dog as it was the natural predator of the cat.
Unrelated. I'm trying to build with Drake Haven. I've found UR to be the most fun and still work relatively well. I need some help with the sideboard. Specifically the control match up. Are there any anti control cards besides fevered visions?

Maybe but in my list i'm playing Relentless Dead. Might not be budget now but the card certainly was budget for a long time. Miasmic Mummy that posted is a solid option as well. Right now the grave hate count is still at an all time low but that may change as the metagame develops.

He's not wrong.

Does Harsh mentor's ability hit crewing vehicles? Either way, can someone explain to me why or why not? (I didn't see the ask a judge thread)

Pretty sure it does. Crewing is an activated ability; It has a cost and a effect

sure. why? because crew is an activated ability of an artifact card

I guess because crewing on the stack is like a mana ability? i can't kill the pilot in response to them crewing and the vehicle not be crewed, and if I try to kill the pilot before crewing, they can just crew in response.

>want to play madness
>most decks are based around vampires
fuck

You talking shit about vampires?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/grixis-cycling-3/

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/drakecycle/

Best I can come up with. I played madness vamps back at instrad felt much weaker than both of these decks.

If anyone wants to help with the UR deck. I'm happy to hear some suggestions. I tried to cut cathartic but it actually adds an entire level of consistency to the deck. Go down to 3 might be a good idea

Only abilities that generate mana are counted as mana abilities. What you said about it being like a mana ability happens with literally every activated ability. If something reads "Tap: Deal 2 damage to target creature" you could destroy it in response to the ability being activated, but the ability would resolve anyways afterwards.

Goin full retard

I'm memeing on you bro

>Not calling it Big Sig's Bizzare Adventure

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/28-04-17-gw-budget-humans/

My version of the "humans beat face" deck. Mostly budget because I'm a jew, but thinking of putting a few Sigardas in there for late game potential, and replacing a few more things with better creatures.

Hold up

Is this a Jojo reference?

>not knowing how to spell Bizarre

I'm upgrading my Rakdos Aristocrats from last standard. Bontu fits perfectly into the 99, thanks to his mana cost- he can get played by matter reshaper & treasure keeper.

Fling is also nice for the deck, given that it runs Kari Zev's Expertise(and bone splinters). Makes it easier to connect with a stacked Yahenni, also.

Finally, I'm running 4-of obama in the mainboard.

Unfortunately, the deck dies when Zulaport Cutthroat, matter reshaper, and bone splinters rotate. :^(

Dude. You can't pay costs you don't have.

>Rakdos Aristocrats
Go on.

>decide that I want to start playing magic and learn different formats
>go on Veeky Forums
>already see a superiority complex based around what format they play
Yeah nope. I'm outta here.

It's a joke. EDH is genuinely a casual format, user.

The original idea was based on a draft deck- specifically, the interactions between Treasure Keeper and Yahenni were great, but the deck wasn't terribly powerful, despite having some disgusting plays. (Sac treasure keeper on your turn, flip hijack, hijack your creature sacrifice it to yahenni to make it indestructible.)

With Bontu, that gets even better.
>sac treasure keeper to bontu
>scry first, then flip things over
>be more likely to hit something I want, block with bontu

Creatures:26
4 Doomed Dissenter
4 Scrapheap Scrounger
4 Zulaport Cutthroat
3 Bontu the Glorified
4 Matter Reshaper
3 Yahenni, Undying Partisan
4 Treasure Keeper

Spells:12
2 Bone Splinters
4 Fatal Push
2 Fling
4 Kari Zev's Expertise

Lands:22
4 Aether Hub
5 Mountain
4 Spire of Industry
9 Swamp

I don't know if I have enough sac outlet creatures or not.

>Core sets probably coming back

Anyone got sauce on this?

That actually looks really neat. I can't say one way or the other if it's good either, but it uses plenty of cards I like.

It's pretty fun to play against fair decks. It needs optimizing IMO. I'd say it could drop TK, but that's what makes the deck fun in the first place.

I just need to pick up 2 more obamas and 3 bontus to finish upgrading the deck.

Anybody have a brew idea of a Grixis Control deck with Dark Intimation, Torrential Gear, Liliana Death Majesty and As Foretold??

Why not abzan aristocrats?

All those white zombies and green value have to be good for something

I don't think 6 spells pays off for havin another color. Unless your SB is really red-heavy, I would say 6 spells don't pay off for another color. I would put some magma sprays to deal with enemies' scrapheaps or zombies.

The structure of the next few blocks is alredy out. There won't be any core sets anytime soon

There's a misunderstanding here. Mana abilities don't use the stack at all - they simply happen. Crew uses the stack like all abilities do - like all abilities, once the ability is on the stack, removing its source from the battlefield is irrelevant. You have to counter the ability if you want to stop it from resolving, or cause it to have no valid targets (the latter of which you could do by, say, using artifact removal to destroy the vehicle before it becomes a creature). Just like any activated ability, it can be activated whenever a player has priority, allowing it to be activated (and its costs, such as tapping creatures) paid as part of the activation. Note that, like mana abilities, cost payments don't use the stack at all.

Yeah, zombies could be good- but I'd have to focus on zombies. Could get Wayward Servant in there. What else might fit in to this sort of playstyle?

Being in orzhov also opens me up to having better removal, like Anguished Unmaking, or Time to Reflect.

Red was originally much more of a presence- i had 4x Hijack in the deck, and some number of Pia nalaar, but I ran into the problem of having too many aristocrats and not enough creatures that like being sacrificed.

It looks alright. You're definitely going to get to have fun with the Always Watching combo, and Exemplar of Strength isn't a bad idea. I'd still highly recommend lone rider, and having Blessed Alliance around is primo secret tech, since it's pretty cheap to pick up and will bore straight through any protection they bring against you, if only in the sideboard.

Your mana's a little bent out of shape, humans are far better in white than in green, just a word of caution.

So...is the new meme drake cycle deck from the Professor a good deck?

To be honest, EDH sees far more complex rules interactions than standard ever will.

Who is that supposed to be?

Bye.

I'll be looking to put an order in for a shitload of commons/uncommons next week, but i'm in Australia and ordering cards can only be done via overseas companies and they end up getting expensive pretty quick.

Will be changing around to 11 plains 7 forests too, should make it more consistent for my WW costs.

The deck is pretty solid desu. You have red mana to kill Vehicles and annoying Artifacts. However, you need to control the table in the first 4 turns for that.

Right, so this is what I've got for an Esper token build so far. I'm honestly thinking of switching Temmet for Extractor of Sin for some higher quality tokens.

//Lands:
2 Irrigated Farmland
1 Fetid Pools
7 Plains
4 Island
3 Swamp
2 Choked Estuary
2 Concealed Courtyard
3 Port Town

//Creatures:
2 Angel of Sanctions
4 Anointer Priest
3 Aven Wind Guide
1 Glyph Keeper
2 Oketra the True
4 Sacred Cat
3 Hanweir Militia Captain
1 Temmet, Vizier of Naktamun

//Spells:
2 Dusk // Dawn
3 Anointed Procession
3 Failure // Comply
3 Start // Finish
2 Anguished Unmaking
3 Fatal Push

But why run a vanilla 2 mana 2/2 over one with the same stats and a positive effect my dude?
I don't but I have them in the zombie deck box because its pretty good.

Improve for sure, one big deck to counter is much easier than two, not to mention we got some artifact hate this set. Mardu was good because of its consistency and match up to cat, it lost one of those. I think B/G will come back pretty strong now.

>token build
>doesn't have the Fabricate dudes from Kaladesh

???

I skipped over Kaladesh so i don't really know the sets too well. And honestly at first glance only the Fabricate Angel looked alright, but I'd rather run O-sphere angel because its removal and a threat that has built in recursion.

>I don't but I have them in the zombie deck box because its pretty good.
Be sure to take it out of the deck box when you go to a tournament unless you are running it in your 75.

But is it solid enough to make it into top 10? In my LGS the top10 gets good prizes like credit store, playmats and free boosters.

Looking to brew a Drake Haven deck. Specially because I want to rusttle the jimmies of people spamming drake actually harpy Papi tokens. I was thinking about an Izzet build centered in cicling and a huge madness engine. Here you can find the list:

Creatures (8)
3 Soul-Scar Mage
4 Enigma Drake
1 Hazoret the Fervent

Spells (27)
4 Lightning Axe
2 Magma Spray
2 Shock
3 Cathartic Reunion
4 Censor
4 Tormenting Voice
4 Fiery Temper
4 Hieroglyphic Illumination

Enchantments (4)
4 Drake Haven

Lands (22)
9 Island
9 Mountain
4 Spirebluff Canal

Sideboard (15)
2 By Force
2 Magma Spray
2 Shock
3 Essence Scatter
3 Negate
3 Sweltering Suns

MTGoldFish Link: mtggoldfish.com/deck/629788#paper

Testing the deck against Mardu and Pummeler, I am in a disvantage if I am in the draw. However, censor looks like pretty useful to screw up those pesky Hearts of Kiran and their tempo a little. Lightning Axe on Gideon with Soul-Scar Mage into Fiery Temper on another beater and a cute Papi with just 3 mana looks so dreamy and spicy... However, against snek I am hopeless because all of the shear value they get. Thinking about maybe dropping some of the cicling for more old and realiable control cards. Or forsake Drake Haven altogether and use Soul-Scar Mages and Enigma Drakes as win conditions. Opinions?
Now I have just to think which Papi pic I should use as tokens.

Looks like you are planning on discarding even if that means going down in hand size. There are some discard stuff that reward you for having a large hand.

If you choose to go down that road
Consider:
Fateful Showdown
Forgotten Creation

Chandra, Flamecaller also rewards you for a large hand size, but she's 6 mana.

Rate my draft pool senpais, :D

Look at this retard and laugh, Lathnu hellion is so strong

>15+ people show up for Modern
>About 2 show up for Standard on the release day of a new set

What the fuck

>amonkhet release day
>10 people show up for standard

I mean, it's passable. It fired. I got my three boxes.

First draft of Amonkhet and somehow I wound up with all the cycle lands. I'm confused how a foil UB one made it all the way down to me on pick 7. I went undefeated. My packs were meh. Last place guy buys 1 pack. Force of Will. I hate my life right now.

So what kind of sideboards do you think we'll need to look for these days, anons?

Was consistently placing at FNM with this archetype before Aether Revolt. Does it have any hope now?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/28-04-17-lFO-gruul-energy/

Artifact Removal
Anything running R,W, or G is going to be packing.

I think the Blacks Cycling Cremate is going to be the best sleeper removal this set because of how little there is to clear up graveyards this meta

It's definitely better with Fling. I don't know how good it actually is though. Probably won't won you a GP but FNM seems likely

Fling mde the deck better.

Hit 10 in the face and the throw the bastard into his face to deal 10 more.

Friend. Welcome.

Tappedout.shit

That's some shitty SaffronOlive against the odds deck.
He only plays the queues. Never the leagues. Only timmy's think they're competitive.

Hello Travis

Le epic pun token
epin I like it

What's wrong with tappedout?

>That's some shitty SaffronOlive against the odds deck.
Even so, he went up against (and beat) tron, ad naus, and DSJ with that deck.

Forsake the Worthy, or Dissenter's Deliverance?

Or both?

I haven't played Magic in years. Are any of the Planeswalker Decks any good? I don't own any Planeswalkers, it would be interesting if I could buy two different ones and upgrade them enough to play standard casual or modern casual. Nissa and Chandra look weak and overcosted... Are any of them worth it?

You'll find that some people will tell you that Tezzeret Master of Metal isn't awful. I feel like 'by comparison' should be added there.

Planeswalker decks are honestly pretty garbage.