/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm

>News
theonyxpath.com/now-available-cursed-necropolis-rio/
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/

This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/up-the-amazon-without-a-paddle-monday-meeting-notes/

>Question:
Which time period do you enjoy playing in the most?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12812374
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Interwar period

Present Day. That's the general milleu of the "of darkness" lines, and I think it's a big part of the appeal.

So, re-asking from previous thread if anyone has run a seers campaign - and if they'd be willing to share details of how it went?

>Which time period do you enjoy playing in the most?
Dark Ages are the best, because you don't have to worry about hiding your supernatural powers.

Weimar Republic. Lots of high tensions and stakes, even without knowing how it will all turn out.

strawpoll.me/12812374

Clearly its PrincessAnd yes I mean husbando. Are you telling me you wouldn't a magical girl(male)?

splatfus are shit

Will we ever get another game that's as good as Bloodlines or even better than it?

i'm pretty sure that the depiction of the female characters would be decried as sexist

To an extent, but it could be worse.

>implying bitching about that would matter

For quite some time, vampires have been all about sexual appeal, one way or another.

Now I imagine Lasombra stealing socks in store

cWoD Angels (The ones that didn't rebel) I guess they are able to deal with even the most powerful mages (Not Arch Masters, even thou the Highest Ranking may be able to deal with some of them)

>Immune to all damage expect Aggravated
>Automatic 5 Dots in ALL Attributes
>10 Health Levels
>They have no Abilities, but by using Faith they can do whatever they want by rules.
>They have Mastery over creation with their House Lores and Common Lores, and they are ALL at max level.
>They have a shitton of Faith to use for Lore/Ability Usage
>and I really mean a SHITTON
>Aggravated Damage HEALING,
>Cannot really be killed, in most cases their Faith pool will just finish and they will be sent back to Heaven to regain ALL Faith after 24 hours.
>The only way to stop them is to Absorb them, and only Other Demons/Angels can do that.

You DON'T want an Angel to get angry at you.

12-13th century, basically the time of DAV. You still have the good old nights where the Masquerade is not so harsh and the peasants know there are things out there, the Reconquista and Crusades are still going on, the Cappadocians are still kicking...

It´s a grand time to be undead.

They're making a Werewolf the apocalypse game by Cyanide, the same house that made bloodbowl

>caring about old

But can they take on Holy Roman Empire?

The empire that never existed?

No, I think if female characters were forced to look that way it would be called sexist, but just having the option to dress your character that way would be fine.

As voltaire said neither holy nor Roman nor an empire.

The 90s, it's similar enough to the modern day so players won't have to learn too much and the masquerade is bit stronger without iPhones and the such.

What if Vozhds had guns

While I have occasionally enjoyed historical settings, the congruity of games set in the modern day is just way easier to get into. Historical games usually just end up seeming like modern day people who lost their cell phones acting out of place. Sometimes with bad accents.

>Not making your monster's entirely out of highly dexterous ligaments wrapped around the triggers of 12 guns.

Social Media making everyone easy to find and cellphones putting that in every players pocket can often make plots for other game lines just as complex or stupid as trying to get around a mage with Space/Correspondence.

The 90s seems like a nice compromise between modernity and game running logistical convenience. Also then all the hokey sterotypes make more sense.

Typical response to supernaturals caught on tape is always a chorus of "FAKE AND GAY" followed with takedown notices in some cases, or outright server wipes.

As a hobby Porthos Fitz-Empress (Hermetic Forces 6 Archmage) captures both Angels and Archangels and puts them in bottles.

Strange, I know. But his character is practically insane.

>Specifically says "Not The Arch Mages, if not some of them"
>Quotes an Archmage
Also, may I have the proof of that? Just to expand my lore, you know.
Also because it seems highly unlikely because an Angel/Arch Angel has a degree of Forces control that can rival the ones of really powerful mages, and how in hell would a Forces Mage seal angels by using FORCES, not even Prime, Forces.

I'm looking to get into Mage, and I want to see if artifacts and imbued items would be something interesting to focus on, but there's a lot of books to go through. Are any of them more focused on magic items than new and weird spell stuff?

(Praxes? Really? Calling it a signature spell is too simple, you have to give it a made up word for a name?)

>bottles
Not exclusively. He binds angels to various items for his amusement.

>and how in hell would a Forces Mage seal angels by using FORCES, not even Prime, Forces.
Six dot Spheres in Horizon: Stronghold of Hope are quite extensive, even for six dots. There's also Masters of the Art (Six dots is different here) where nine dots can bend the damn universe, an ancient mage having possibly created the universe, not God. It's versatile enough to do much and more.
Porthos also has at least three dots in each of the nine Spheres, him having five in Prime. Prime 6 is enough to cancel out God-driven curses, blessings and doings. Not hard to use your imagination and picture that being enough to deal with any angel.

>(Praxes? Really? Calling it a signature spell is too simple, you have to give it a made up word for a name?)
The lexicon in mage has always been very convoluted. It always kinda made sense to me because of how full of themselves with hubris the average mage is. Of course as a culture they'd name things to make themselves sound more important.

You don't need to be an archmage to invoke, summon & command angels. It's part of the Hermetic Paradigm and has been done before.

For 1e you can check out Tome of the Mysteries. For 2e it's supposed to be 'Sign of Sorcery' but it probably won't come out anytime this decade thanks to publisher drama/incompetence.

I don't want to be Nitpicky, but again
>Prime 6-9=Archmage, I'm talking NOT Arch-mages
Also Porthos doesn't have Prime 6.
And "Being able to cancel god-driven doings" doesn't really mean that they may be able to destroy an angel, more likely to extinguish their Faith and cast them to Heaven.

Material?
Also, I'm speaking about normal Angel, not the ones exiled to Hell and summoned by Mages, normal Angels are stated to don't being able to be summoned or binded by normal rituals like their fallen counterparts.

>nine dots can bend the damn universe, an ancient mage having possibly created the universe, not God

Add Prime 9 and you can re-make the universe into a multiverse, whilst dethroning the actual God and becoming the new Omnipotent.

>And "Being able to cancel god-driven doings" doesn't really mean that they may be able to destroy an angel, more likely to extinguish their Faith and cast them to Heaven.
Could be enough to unmake them entirely, you never know. It's enough to delete the seven-fold curse of God put on Caine. Even a Prime 5 Master would probably be enough.

I feel like you're an incredibly biased individual. The latter part of your post has an apparent lack for a basis. Not to mention both Ascension and Fallen have opposing views of each respective line.

Then Divis Mal kills you on behalf of the Monarchies of Mau.

>Divis Mal
Do Aberrant and Trinity hold any cannon place in WoD?

They will once Divis Mal becomes Divis Mau.

No. Completely separate fictional settings. There's no linkage between old and new either, other than subtle nods to the former.

The archspheres seem really strong, not sure if I like that.

Then leave it at that, don't use them in your games, and don't try to argue they aren't cannon, or that they aren't better than literally anything any other game line offers as a power.

Wizards have the potential to beat anything if they're sufficiently prepared or analytically obsessed.
The various Archmages just take that to whole other level, beating things that shouldn't be beaten.

Masters of the Art goes well into detail on this facet, describing mages evolving into gods and exemplars, and creating and forming universes in your bare hands.
The Arch-Spheres are highly broken and nearly unusable, but their potency is readily available to players and absolute overkill in the highest sense.

Is there a rundown on the arch spheres on some site or such? Or do I have to lazily go through the book?

Imperial practices are a step down from arch spheres right? Plus you have the whole going on a quest to find quintessence for every spell thing. Trying to get my edition differences straight.

The Imperial Practices are nowhere near as abusive or far reaching as the classic Arch-Spheres, but are so much more reliable and can actually be used properly.

>can actually be used properly
That's a point you can't stress enough. It's entirely possible/fun to run an archmage game with awakening.

Aside from the present day setting, my favorite period to run games in would be the 1940's.

I really liked Mage Noir.

Probably not.

I mean we're supposed to be getting that Werewolf game but I'm not holding my breath.

Is the dark eras in the pastebin mega all of them rolled in one?

How much does the average vampire care about where they live or what the place looks like?

Depends on the Clan/Bloodline.

gross

no gm is ever going to allow any of these in play canon or not

Why does everyone react and treat the archspheres like they are intended for some street level game? Nothing in any book even remotely indicates them as being for that style of play.

Hey, as long as I can kick Caine's ass into oblivion I'm happy.

>literally the only reason magefags will ever use the archspheres

Running some nWoD games for friends and Exploding 10s have got me fucked up. When a PC has next to no chance and manage to get more successes than dice they roll it feels epic, powerful. Feels like the character is getting a hand from fate itself.
Then a combat encounter leads to half the party getting eviscerated by goons before the actual threat has acted in initiative because the goons happened to get more successes than their dice pool.
With each die being statistically unlikely to generate a success I'm still dialing in the pools for enemies, but a friend ran a few games in the Cypher System.
Their damage rules are amazing. A God-Machine send even. I want to convert them for nWoD.
In Cypher an enemy typically does either 2, 4 or 6 damage. The targeted player rolls a defense check, and either dodges completely or it hits them and anything over their armor is inflicted.
Example, a random goon might have a pool of 3. Subtract the Characters Defense, let's say 2. No dice rolled, the player takes 1 Damage determined by the weapon.
Players still roll for shit because most of them are primarily there to roll dice.
Any other modifiers people can suggest on this?

Imbued items in 2e are shit, the rules for reaches arent explained, the dicepools are so low you cant take many spell factors, dont bother with them

The Ottonian Emperors would like a word with you.

How cringey is vtm larp?

It really depends on the group. But they can range from hippopotagoths wearing disgusting clothes that their body type makes vomit inducing, to an interesting political games between adults who aren't drama queens.

Can Vampires give rapes?

In many games, guaranteed taking some damage is a terrible idea because quick cheap healing just isn't a thing. Werewolves are the only ones who could probably stand up against that sort of thing honestly.

>hippopotagoths

lol

Ewwwwww

I met some goth lesbians at a Christian Death show last year and they said they were into owod.

They're not ugly. But at the same time I can't vouch for the rest of them. I just don't want to be thrust into an awkward SJW cringefest.

>They're not ugly. But at the same time I can't vouch for the rest of them. I just don't want to be thrust into an awkward SJW cringefest.
Just fake something important coming up if it gets too weird.

I'm a combat oriented Brujah.... I can't handle subterfuge.

Well it's a LARP so that's already a strike against it.

That's why god invented automated text messages. You set it with something that requires your attention and if things suck you just tell people you need to go do your predetermined time dependent task.

Arch Sphere probably weren't even intended for any games, seeing as how their descriptions are muddled and often cross into other Spheres, or simply just repeat a prior level of the Sphere. The supplement treadmill and getting things out the door in a hurry that was the standard in the late 90s means that the book is worse than the original Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand when it comes to coherence and organization of thought. Add onto that a clear lack of playtesting, and, well, there's not much of a reason to trust that MotA reasonably describes the mechanics of Archmages.

>a Christian Death show
Excuse me?

Tome of the Mysteries.

And yes, really. Although praxis is not a made up word. It means to put something into practice.

It's a band.

>goth
Strike one.
>lesbians
Strike two.
>into owod
Put together with the former two, strike three.

That's wisdom. I'm gonna do it. I'll give you guys the results in the coming weeks.

It's an old deathrock band.

Hey user know where I could find the hunter translation guide? Tried both megas and it wasn't there.

Is that even out yet?

What? Hunters been out forever why wouldn't it be? Hell I remember reading it at some point, guess I just don't have it saved.

Yeah, but I don't recall hearing much about an official translation guide in the same vein as for Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Demon, etc.

Convert vigil into the owod hunter? Why would you? If your just after a 2e update then no its not out.

Bach Otton 3 kicked the bucket And next guy mostly wanted to punch people in the face

Hunter: Mortal Remains, has a few updates of some bits to 2e, but its not a full 2e hunter release. Its got monster building and endowments IIRC

Depends on the person in question, really, and it goes without saying that what clan they're from can have a big impact on it.

Toreador usually go for... well, clean and modern. Or whatever counted as "modern" at the time of their Embrace. Largely because it helps to remind them of their ties to Humanity, but also because it's easier to get repeat-victims for feeding if your place doesn't look like shit.

Nosferatu on the other hand usually don't hole up in swanky and clean establishments, often on account of how those places tend to *attract* visitors rather than keep them away. Plus, old catacombs and sewers offer more choices in defenses and protective measures than loft-apartments in the hoity-toity parts of town.

Gangrel usually don't give two shits about where they rest their head, because they can sleep wherever there's dirt to be found. While smart Gangrel wouldn't object to luxury as a perk, they just wouldn't ever let that luxury rule their way of life or get in the way of survival. If you gotta sleep in a piss-stained gutter to survive, that's what the Gangrel would do.

Malkavians are too... random. But on the whole they'd probably enjoy remote or hidden locales where they wouldn't run as much risk of inadvertently ruining the Masquerade during one of their "fits", whatever their madness.

Brujah probably don't care, as a whole. They've all got bigger things on their mind than whether they live in a one-star or five-star establishment.

The Tremere have their Chantries, which usually provide for all of the resident Tremere's needs, depending on their rank and standing in the Pyramid. They can usually still have their own Havens, though, that goes without saying.

Most Ventrue would be used to the creme de la creme when it comes to living quarters. They can survive without it, but their way of unlife and the ones picked for Embrace usually means Ventrue are always in possession of one or more havens where they can feel safe.

I'm sure it got swept under the rug because hunter is the biggest changed and so a translation guide is pretty much worthless.
Because fuck you that's why.
I like some of the stuff from old hunter, I'm thinking about messing with the setting a little bit and turning the imbued into a sort of conspiracy. I'm just looking for the guide to get some help with it.

This are the most important things i guess

What about the Tzimisce, Ravnos and Lasombra?

Also, Vigil wouldn't exactly be translated to Reckoning so much as you could just kind of add the material on to existing Hunter's Hunted-type organizations in the WoD.

I don't mean from new to chronicles, I mean from old to new.

>mess with setting.
dont you know your not allowed to do that?

I know that part is kinda dumb, I'm mostly looking at this purely from the reckoning -> hunter point of view. And even then I understand I'm probably going to have to do most of the heavy lifting myself.
We're far to late for that at this point.

Tzimisce are connected to their ancestral lands, probably wouldn't stray too far from it.

Ravnos are wanderers. They'll sleep anywhere.

Lasombra are elegant and aristocratic. Would probably enjoy the finer things in life.

>Prime 9
>Paradox is now your plaything
expect for the fact that they say in the same book that you cannot use Prime to avoid any kind of Paradox Backlash, and by trying to use it that way the Paradox just gets worse for you.

>Tzimisce are connected to their ancestral lands, probably wouldn't stray too far from it.

They can just surround themselves with two handfuls of the dirt from whatever place meant something to them while they were still human.

Actually, I can't find ANY of the translation guides in the megas. Do we not have those?