Lets build a Post-Apocalyptic world

Suggest terrain, features, races, monsters, or methods of how the world ended.

Other urls found in this thread:

f3.to/pmwiki/pub/web/VeryDifferentPlaces.VeryDifferentPlaces.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

well you're on the right track with greenery and wildlife. i hate post apocalypse that's just hurr durr world's a desert wasteland

>Its wild west themed

Fuck you.

>The region is badlands and deserts.

End of the world was caused when an alien corporation began colonizing the planet in preparation for resource extraction, only to realize later than the resources they'd be getting wouldn't justify the cost invested into extracting them, so they bailed.

That seems like something to corporation would have checked before starting the colonizing.

Cyborgs are a thing in this world.

Initial estimations of how valuable earth was going to be were off. The initial colonization efforts were sent down to confirm those estimations (probably via some method that would fuck everything up for the native population like upheaving large swathes of land or something)

Our entire planet is just a rounding error to them.

There's only ever 3 options for the apocalypse. Everything is green and overgrown; everything is brown, grey, rust and dust; everything is blue and oceans have covered it all.

Fuck YOU.
>the region is lush forests and grasslands, free from humans' bullshit, at last

This. Crazy nuclear weapon wielding natives drove production costs up too much.

The corporation left behind materials that were deemed cost ineffective to take with them off world.

Why not:
>things are largely unchanged ecologically.

The world is green and vibrant, but it's covered with swathes of barren wasteland, filled with alien ruins and technology.

That could be good. Bonus points if whatever tech they were using to start up operations caused some runaway terraforming, radiation, or similar things leading to really weird changes in the environment.

May i suggest a compromise?

The region is mainly rocky badlands, BUT something has caused a part of the region to bloom into a jungle. Caused by a gardener AI going nuts in an underground bunker.

The real compromise is A city in a forested region might get overgrown, a city in a desert region gets blown away by sand.

What if terraforming drones are slowly but steadily transforming regions of the planet to be ideal for alien colonists, resulting in monsters and poisonous wasted?

>terraforming, radiation, or similar things leading to really weird changes in the environment.

Maybe just a bit of alien tech and some ecological disasters cause from introducing new alien lifeforms. (sorta like the C'torr books, but less purposeful)

Maybe a no/low metal setting, as resource harvesting robots tear up easy to access metal like cars, train tracks, power lines etc.

Cyborgs are the result of humans augmenting themselves with alien technology, often for purposes that weren't intended by the aliens who made them.

How about making hunting these drones to be the main source of metal and tech for the populace. Hence, a lot of the equipment and tech looks scrap build.

That could be neat. Have whatever they left behind trying to alter things. Could go in a lot of directions with what they leave behind. Maybe it's weird alien plantlife, strange crystal growths, or maybe they're just silicon based life that lives at high temperatures and so wants magma flows everywhere.

I could see that working out. Have metal be this risky thing because while it's strong, the machines are still programmed to gather it.

Hmm. Maybe some faction does it's best to right back the encroachment?
Maybe a religous group.

They might even have and maintain/worship nukes since they were what humanity used to stop "The Other" and need them in case "The Other" returns?

Mutated whales that swim through the earth, sometimes with a home or two on their back

I like this. Lends itself to a lot of adventure hooks.

Some rumors persist that not all the aliens made it off-planet.

And maybe a faction of alien worshipers trying to hasten the terraforming process?

Mutants are caused by alien terraforming. Some are normal people, others are monsters.

I really like this idea.
Maybe even having metal scrap piles lying around as bait.

Or some nomad factions following wandering "herds" of self replicating robots. Killing some for resources. Native american vs buffalo style.

OP here.
Lets limit the world building to a single region, to help focus our efforts.

I like this ideas too.

It could be that the aliens are pretty sensitive to radiation, even moreso than humans, so humans nuking the planet to hell made it completely uninhabitable for them, while it just mostly sucked for humans.

A cyborg sect who try to combined cybernetic and martial arts, they are pretty much like Shaolin monks.

I almost want to go with China, or just asia as a whole. It's pretty geographically diverse, while also having a lot of more high-tech and urbanized areas.

It's also easy to expect things to splinter apart pretty rapidly during an apocalypse

I've got an idea for a faction. They call themselves the Reinheit, which means the Purity in German, and are obsessed with human independence and protecting earth from alien intervention.

They've got access to a stockpile of pre-alien military tech, want to eugenically breed a race of superhumans, and run themselves like a military dictatorship.

Basically, HFY Neo-nazi ecoterrorists.

> y/n?

I've written a few.

f3.to/pmwiki/pub/web/VeryDifferentPlaces.VeryDifferentPlaces.html

Iron Legion: Points out that Atlas Shrugged would quickly devolve into a sort of Rust West setting, and goes with that. No magic.

Tripocalypse: The Left Behind book series happens. TurboJesus shows up. He is promptly neutralized and locked up by phone company workers armed with sonic weapons, which causes physics to go funny. 20 years later. High magic.

Waylights: XCOM worst end - XCOM squeaks out a victory and the aliens retaliate by using terror weapons. One thousand years later. Low magic.

Why not:
>everything is weird and surreal as fuck

Guys, the point shouldn't be about what landscape you find the coolest, but what makes sense. In a setting like that, where civilization has fallen, you can assume the world would be filled with wildlife, jungles and marshlands. Desert areas would obviously be desert wastelands and cold areas would be frozen wastelands, assuming the weather was not fucked up by a nuclear war or something.

Why limit it to only one landscape?

Maybe organic technology/rust monsters?

Would make sense why they didn't strip mine the rest fo the planets in system. Earths the only one with a working magnetosphere. Have to have some pretty funky interstellar drives though.

Also:
>Shit be cold, yo.

A bit on the nose with them being german and obsessed with Eugenics.

What if instead, they faction sprouted up somewhere in Africa? The reason they have so much military tech from before is because their continent wasn't hit as hard by any nukes or warfare, and their obsession with purity goes to them being 'the original human race' since that's where humanity evolved.

Thus they dislike most of the other factions who are making use of alien tech or have more mutants because those other regions didn't have much alternative.

Maybe "leviathans" or giant ocean dwelling alien machines/beasties make ocean traveling very dangerous. So continents are largely cut off from one another.

I like it doesn't fit too well with the Post-apoc China vibeMaybe if we set it in Europe or the U.S.

Some parts of the world are still no-go zones due to automated drone armies still waging on-going war.

Every 'casualty' that falls is dragged off to one side or another's factories to be re-cycled into more troops for the perpetual warfare.

More flexibly-programmed C&C computers may even enlist outside help to assist in the war effort.

Working off of biotech could be a good angle. Perhaps rather than coming to earth strictly for metal resources, they're also looking for more biodiversity/biomass for their tech

I like this idea too. Alien terraforming left to go a muck means cyclopedia forests and vast deserts, spires of metal with no apparent purpose and vast crater like strip mines

> African ecoterrorist neo-nazis

Brilliant. What if they were trying to establish a foothold in southeast Asia?

Combining these, maybe we can center it somewhere around the middle east or Mediterranian? Have access to Asia, Africa, and Europe, but have some of them be more distant

Would fit the "alien tech makes mutants" but not the cyborgs stuff.

Maybe they brought both.

>spires of metal with no apparent purpose
Maybe "Rust monsters" steal all the metal they can and create/guard the towers. They're meant to be easy pick up points for alien ships that will never show up to grab them.

Intrepid adventures steal metal, disguise it and smuggle it out.

That could work, although if we go off the 'leviathans' suggestion had, perhaps they ended up annexing the area where Yemen is in the middle east, crossing the more narrow straits to try and get to Pakistan and India that way

Hmm...perhaps it could be that two factions of aliens showed up? The ones that came first were the surveyors who were looking for metal and sent out all the drones, leading to the cybernetic stuff and the metal spires.

Then it turns out they're at war with another race specializing in bio-tech, who show up.

Earth is basically a small foothold, they end up skirmishing over it. The mechanical aliens write it off as a lost cause since their enemies know where it is, so they can't mine in peace and it's too remote to defend, and the bio aliens are driven off by radiation and nukes from the humans and write it off as not worth going after right now.

I like it, it justifies the mechanical and biological tech, and adds depth to the setting.

Hmm. Might make things a bit too complicated.
Maybe they were two distinct "waves" of terraforming.

Maybe earth, semi successfully deals with the first wave of metal/robotic drones/scavengers/basic atmosphere. Then the aliens show up, and discover the cave dwelling natives of a few thousand years ago are actual people. They try to negotiate a planetary time share, but humans go nuke crazy instead?

Maybe part of the alien terraforming was to increase the oxygen content, allowing for all sorts of megafauna.

Hmm...I suppose it could also work that the first 'invasion' was just an unmanned probe gone haywire.

Then the aliens show up in one of their more peaceful colony vessels, designed to basically make an artifcial island with a biosphere for them and negotiate things.

Then we nuke them out of orbit and all the stuff spills out and causes rampant out of control biohazards

Its been 200 years after the fall of civilization.

>Some of the drone hives have gone feral after so long and have fallen into a circle of "gather metal, maker more machines". Humans hunt them for metal and tech ala Horizon Zero Dawn.

In an effort to prevent the bees from dying out, scientists made a virus to cause them to procreate faster.
It was much too potent however, and now the world has been taken over by trillions upon trillions of ravenous insects and arachnae.
Giant beehives are built within skyscrapers, cobwebs cover entire cities, and anthills as tall as mountains dot the landscape.
With every plant and animal devoured by hungry swarms of locusts and mosquitoes, what few survivors are left hide themselves in airtight bunkers underground. Visits to the surface are dangerous and require thick, sealed suits and large amount of bug spray.
There are, however, rumours of an antivirus hidden somewhere in the laboratory where it all began.....

this

I hate when post-apoc designs are single biome worlds. there would be some variety based on humidity, rainfall, elevation and plantlife density, so there should MULTIPLE biomes even after "the world ended".

the world naturally microclimates, so you can microbiome a world all you want, damnit.

Yea, no.

Only a fraction of the drone hives still terraform their regions, but all that do have wildly different results.
Some make dense mega-jungles. Others arid deserts. Others make crater filled radioactive wastelands. A number even accidentally make the world better for humans!

>Some corporations created high-tech enclaves, which survive as xenophobic city states to this day.

Yea, no nigger purity front please.
Lets make it somewhat realistic.

>African Warlords going full 'We wuz Kangz' isn't realistic

Better than Nazi Germany 2, electric boogaloo

What do we have as f fat as main factions. Someone said human Nazi, and a mutant alien worshipers, and cyborg monks. Anything else you see cropping up in a couple hundred years?

This guy () mentioned corporate hold-out states.

I like this idea. Maybe have them be sure if an opposite to the monks. Selfish vs selfless use of technologies?

Maybe monks use more alien tech so it's not understood and has a "mystical" aspect.

Why not all three? Earth's big enough for three post-apocalyptic biomes.

Oh, don't forget snowy wasteland!

What about thick, mutant, jungle?

Few concepts off the top of my head,

> Roaming marauder warbands
> Feudal petty kingdoms
> Religious fundamentalists
> Communist empire

Faggot, ecoterrorist nignog reich is a great idea.

What about a feudal faction. Sorry if what the bands of raiders December into after time. They extract taxes from settlements. Maybe the hierarchy is endured by the scarcity of metal, ie well armed vs poorly armed.

Life under the Iron Lords varies between living a peaceful quiet like protected by noble knights or a short British life being exploited by cruel men.

I was thinking about the mutant faction. Maybe they've got some sort of addictive and mutagenic Eucharist/sacrament that helps the cult maintain power. They might force people to take it. The addiction keeps people in line and even if it didn't, there's a good chance you've developed some sort of mutation so you're "one of them" now.

see

How many post-apocalyptic settings can you name where the protagonists travel far enough to get to a different biome?

I mean, even Book of Eli showed the world wasn't just brownbrownbrowntown.

>literally a "nuh-uh" response

Horizon Zero Dawn.
But then again its geography is a mess.

Yeah, it's pretty weird

>Start off in snow-covered mountains
>Cross over one
>Suddenly desert interspersed with jungle

>> Communist empire
I kind of like the idea. It might fit for angry people wanting to redistribute the wealth of corporate City states. They might see the Mutant Church as a prime example of "the opium of the masses".

Not sure if a large enough communist state is possible post apocalypse.

The upper echelons of the American government retreated to a huge, self-sustaining bunker the size of a subterranean city.

Exactly what happened as they waited for the radiation to abate isn't known, but by the time the door opened....

What?

What happened Veeky Forums? What was waiting within? What or who came out (if anything)?

Maybe loosely united Anarcho-Communist compounds? Then we'd need Anarcho-Capitalists for the sake of balance, but the Corporate city-states fit the bill quite nicely.

Sure. but that sort of falls into the 'green apocalypse' thing. Least I figure that myself.

What about fungal jungle? Less of a 'green apocalypse', more of a multi-coloured/luminescent apocalypse.

I fully support this.

They foun dout that the door was looked from outside. Everyone was happy to finally have them gone and lived afar better life.
They kind of forgot those fucks in the bunker after that.

Meanwhile the bunker people are inbred cannibals who claim to be the best and brightest and stuff because their awesome white skin that never saw the sun.
But as they can not leave, they soon die out.

>i hate post apocalypse that's just hurr durr world's a desert wasteland

Obviously you've never been to Cleveland.

>Sorry if what the bands of raiders December into after time.

Get a better keyboard app.

You forgot: everything's a weird neon color and so toxic that life expectancy without hazmat suits is measured in seconds.

Yarp.

wasteland 3 hype amirite

Do they have spurs?

For every 1,000 destroyed machines in the overworld, there is one (damaged) machine that survived the warfare.

These overgrown automated soldiers can no longer distinguish between friend and foe, and will attempt to destroy any moving thing that invades their "lock-down territory." Even after the steady crawl of time, they have not yet realized that the war is over, and their makers are long dead.

Me too, I couldn't even play fallout 4 before modding reasonable amounts of flora back in. Makes a world of difference.

Madmax 1.

they thought all of the metal on the surface was proof it was wealthy in minerals, ends up it was all the stuff humans have dug up and its not actually much better than average.

they were hyper-communists after an internal plebiscite, but they justify it with saying of the founding fathers (all men created equal, right to life, liberty, happiness) which after much time and confusion they think included Marx and Engels.

A small community of Auto-soldiers that was on an experimental beta built however realize the war has ended and are trying to eliminate the defective auto-soldiers

They are lead by an experimental AI who may or may not be a fascist who is trying to purify the world

Biological warfare ended the world. Manmade monsters, plagues, and genetic enhancements to soldiers. Those monsters still roam. pestilence still lingers over cities, designed to be contained within, turning once great population centers into tombs and monster breeding grounds.

So do we actually have a consensus on anything yet?

There's a knights/castles-themed group based in Cleveland who got that way because they seriously misinterpreted old stories of "King" LeBron James and his brave Cavaliers. They've built a quasi-medieval society thinking that's how things were under King James and they want to recapture an old glory that was never actually there.

I liked Roadside Picnic to.

Fallout which is the poster child ATM for Post-apocalyptic has multiple biomes, as does Wasteland. Most people forget about the corner of DC that is a forest steadily moving in to reclaim the irradiated wastes.

Of course.