Kamigakari General /KG/

Last thread died so here's the new one.

This time, i'm gonna be a bit more broad on the subject. Street fighter was a bit too simple. Pretty much everyone was god hand.

This time the character creation challenge is Arc system works fighting games! This includes games like guilty gear, and blaz blue. These characters have a ton of variety to them, so go hog wild.

Baseline stuff
mediafire.com/file/183vmgy8b3w1uj3/Kamigakari.rar

Expansions and errata
pastebin.com/u/RoyalTeaRed

Google Docs Character sheet (for if you play online)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xY5uiJleOpnlh93SGLq2_iKteOFZnlMH1X-MtEDsWsw/edit#gid=0

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/ZxvQdS6J
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I suppose i should mention the challenge part of this is to do it while refluffing the absolute minimum necessary.

Once again, starting us off, i'll go with rachel alucard. due to having an odd and very set up dependant style, she's a bit of an odd one to play as. She'd be a darkstalker easy.

However, her style's would easily be Contractor B/Elemental adept A With shock as the origin element. Either can be main, depending on how you want to do it. When you reach level 5, you'd go elemental adept B for her wind based abilities.

For equipment, You'd take the batbrella in the second expansion, and the royal gothic armor from the first.

The majority of your damage personally will come from your batbrella or element, so getting accessories like the jeweled ring in the second expansion to increase elemental damage is a good idea as well. You could also get a gliding cloak, and it would fit right in aesthetically.

Since there's so much variety in race and abilities in the arc sys fighters, you should be able to make some interesting builds. Give it a shot.

this is an anime as fuck system, so might as well use an anime as fuck game to showcase how it would do.

I guess i can also do ragna.

He's pretty simple. Arc slayer A/Dragon carrier A. Human or scion. Giant sword.

While I like the game, I think you might be a bit too eager to make new threads. For minor games like this people can get a bit burnt out. A thread every three or four days, around about two a week, is a stable and reasonable number that will likely keep interest and the individual threads long and successful, rather than a succession of shorter ones without much really happening.

I tried laying off for a week, and that didn't really help all that much. At this point, i'm going for exposure to help new people get into the system and basically using this as a forum for questions people might have since there isn't any other resource for it, at all

>This time, i'm gonna be a bit more broad on the subject. Street fighter was a bit too simple. Pretty much everyone was god hand.

I had the idea of making up Rashid using an Hanyou/Arc Slayer combo. But there wasn't much to it since all he does is fly around.

Fair enough. Sounds like it could be neat to play, but building it is pretty simple.

Bumping with more rachel because rachel a best blazblue.

You mean Lambda best Blazblue, right?

Waifus aside, wouldn't she and Nu-13 be somewhat easy to make in this system? Cyborg - Dragon Carrier A and Arc Slayer A. Armour up, explosions, swords. It all fits.
Maybe.

I say rachel because she's a lot more... deep, as a character. Lambda is a seriously close second, but rachel just barely beats her out, at least in my opinion.

As for making nu and lambda, yeah. They'd be pretty simple. Though, to mix it up you could go legacy user rather than arc slayer. Refluff the sword of the sovereign to work as her back wing things.

You could probably replicate some of I-No's weirder attacks with a Hanyou Time Wizard B/Dark Hunter B. And that umbrella that shoots energy bats would make a good guitar if you refluffed it.

Ah, the batbrella. Truly a great weapon.

That said, KA is about to get a book with pages upon pages of new weapons, armors, accessories, you name it. I'd be willing to bet there'll be a guitar as a weapon somewhere.

Eat.
Shit.

Oh look, a mary sue that was forced in worse than lightning.

Or if we wanna keep this semi anime related, marie from persona 4.

>mary sue
>That word doesn't mean what you think it does, m8t.
Continue to be jealous of her popularity compared to most useless murakumo and loser vampire girl that tsun-tsun'd so hard she actually lost everything.

She's popular because we're in a time where gender identity issue's are easily identifiable with. If we were before now, she would be a horrendous abomination. If we were after, nothing special at all.

Also
>inserted into the backstories of major characters retroactively
>Stupid plot contrivance to make just about anyone sympathize
>Has a stupidly powerful weapon AND a grimiore that can activate THE FUCKING NAMESAKE OF THE SERIES, which even the main character had to jump through hoops and near death to get

Nah, fuck you. She's a mary sue. I'd even go so far as to call her a shitty fanfic character.

>she would be a horrendous abomination
Are you implying that gender swap was not a known quality of manga?
> a grimiore that can activate THE FUCKING NAMESAKE OF THE SERIES
Yes, can interact with, but it is not actually an Azure Grimoire, which is what the MC of the game has (somewhat).
Now we start spewing bullshit in order to fuel your haterade on Mai, so let's cut that nonsense off.
How do we build FAUST/Dr. Baldman according to books?

I'd look up what a mary sue is yourself. Common traits include being slotted into others backstories, uncommon or outrageously rare powers or abilities, unduly sympathetic traits, character "Flaws" that are designed to be endearing to a fault. The term originates from the star trek fanbase, and originally was meant for fanfic characters exclusively, but has since broadened to include some canon characters that fit the mold. Like marie from persona 4. Using her as an example as she was similarly tacked on in the expanded version of the game "Golden" she is the "Canon" love interest, part god, given the ability to help power up persona's, has traits that were intended to be endearing but ended up grating like her unskippable poetry and her retarded verbal tick, is horrendously overdesigned even for persona. Its pretty bad.

On topic though, Faust is a really weird one. I'd have to look into it, a LOT. He's got so many weird and esoteric abilities, you'd have to take so many style's and accessories. He's one of the few characters that i can see just not working properly, in any context but the original. I'll work on it.

that last run on sentence on that first paragraph is why you don't type shit out while half asleep, kids.

Well, i guess most of his regular physical attacks could be arc slayer. Dark hunter might do some of his other shenanigans.

Is it going to have more weapon upgrades? That's one thing I'd like to see more of.

We'll see next week! (That's when I get my copy.) Though I'm betting on "no." It's just a story and data book so that means it's largely going to be a large scenario with a bit of sprinkling of data... probably.

While it would be interesting, i think there's a pretty large amount already, with the base list and the added ones across the several expansions.

The lovecraft mythos book might have some, but you'd need to ask kamigakari user on that.

Hey, no worries. Any new content is good news.

Actually, now that i mention it, is there an ETA on any of the cthulhu stuff?

A rough time table is fine, i'm just really excited for it.

I'm recovering from a work rush right now, but I should be able to start doing some translation again this week. I wasn't really planning on touching the Cthulhu book for a long time, but... uh... I mean if people are that interested...

What exactly are you hoping from it? It's mostly a replay, some sample characters, items, and a scenario, plus of course Mononoke. And I think some kind of new rules for "small scale supernatural incidents" but I haven't really looked at that.

I think people are mostly interested in the items and stats for the mononoke. I know there's that one guy that was super interested in them, after all.

The rest of that could be done at your leisure pretty easily and i don't think it would hurt anyone too badly.

That said, if you'd planned to do something else first, it can totally wait. I know the GM sections for most of the expansions aren't in the pastebins yet, as an example, and some of the player end stuff is unfinished as well.

Whatever you decide to do. I was just wondering.

For me, I definitely want to finish the Requiem gamemaster stuff first before I get to anything else, so that's probably next. After that I'm not solidly attached to anything really.

I'm still trying to decide whether I should just fix the PDF's errors or try and retranslate the whole thing. The one thing that's really bothering me is the "spirit body" thing. I was a real dumbass when I did that term.

Yeah, the requiem stuff is definitely a priority, if only to shut up the people complaining about contractor B.

As for whether to fix the errors, or retranslate the PDF, i'd continue what you are doing with that errata pastebin for the foreseeable future, and once everything's been about translated give it a full pass.

In my opinion, new content trumps full revision. So long as its noted somewhere whats wrong, that'll do till you get around to it.

So far as the term spirit body goes, its such a low key bit of information that it can honestly be written off completely. Its interesting, but by no means is it anything to stress over. I hadn't even read the term till you brought it up just now.

True. Good points. I'd at least like to put out a fixed PDF just because of the Shadow Wind ability for Dark Hunter, makes it annoying to look stuff up for that style. And well, for reference...

個体 = solid
液体 = liquid
気体 = gas
霊体 = "spirit body"

It should probably be ectoplasm.

Really want to get into this, but character creation was a very dense section. I'm still reading through it but needing to cross reference every item every step of the way really prolongs the process. Anyone have one of those auto-fill character sheets so I can try to learn a bit better?

The best we got is the focs sheet up top.

Char creation only takes a while your first couple times. Once you get used to it and know how many of what you get, it gets much much easier.

Just saw this thread. Definitely gonna give character creation a shot.

Looks like there's ranged options available. Nice.

Theres tons if ranged options. Bows, guns, magic, if you go contractor a your steed sorta counts.

Seems an odd statement though. What system doesnt have ranged options?

Hmm, got too confusing there.

So, would a ranged character do fine in this game?

Easily. There's no minimum range and no damage drop off for being inside of it, so ranged is just as viable as melee, in most scenarios.

But of course in all things, pic related is needed.

Nice. Time to make some characters to get the hang of character creation.

So what is this?

In a sentence, its anime as fuck the system.

to elaborate, its a system that lets you do mostly episodic anime as FUCK adventures, with all sorts of crazy abilities, items, and accessories. There's a lot of crazy shenanigans you can get into, and its generally just fun.

Due to the setup of its system, its also extremely smooth in combat, and mostly freeform in social situations, making for a very smooth game overall.

Interesting. I downloaded it so I might just have to check it out, how well do you think it would handle something like FATE/STAY?

anime is fuckin retarded

There is a race that is word-for-word literally Heroic Spirits from Fate. Also I think one class can go full on Gilgamesh, iirc.

like Said.

Also, he's correct on the gilgamesh thing as well.

Sorry you don't enjoy a media form. Better luck in your next endeavor.

Badass!

I'd really like to eventually see a file or document with all the combined races, classes, items etc. for ease of use during character creation. Since this would have to be done after the data is translated, I'm cool with it taking a while.

It would just take less scrolling during character creation if say all the Hanyou stuff was sequential, all the Dragon Carrier abilities in one place, etc. Right now, this would have to be constantly corrected but at the end, it would make an awesome resource.

Make sense? Just as a combined reference doc to supplement the books. That would be da bomb!

Well, i don't think he'll do one giant one, but i think he does plan to do one for say, items, and another one for styles.

Rather than having a giant book, i think it'd be easier if it was parsed down into several smaller ones that all have a specific focus.

But thats all VERY far into the future. the first several books aren't even completely done, and there are 2 he hasn't even started in on yet.

I'm doing one for some of my players in a game we have planned. Not all of them want to read the big books so I wanted to make a short (by short I mean max of 50 pages) doco with all race/class options and basic roll rules. Still iffy on items but I'll probably be convinced to do them anyway.

It's not meant to look as good as anything Kamigakari user has set up (and mightn't be fully accurate), just something to hand off to my mates but I'd be willing to post once done.

well, the first three books have the table of contents now, so they are way easier to look through. If you hit Ctrl+F and type in XXX0 with 0 being a letter, you can get to any part of it easily. Even the PDF has bookmarks.

Even the rolls are fairly simple. More often than not its 2d6+mod, and even if you do get another dice added on to that its just 3d6+mod. the amount of dice on a roll do not change badly enough to ever warrant needing to remember anything that badly.

I understand the books themselves are daunting, but KA already put stuff in place to make it at least somewhat easier. This is really one of those games where it seems daunting up front, but once you put it into action it gets a lot simpler.

Pic Somewhat related. So long as the DM knows the rules on rolls and actions, the players only really need to know the rules for their abilities. This is very much so a game where something can be explained in a sentence or two, if necessary.

Yeah, I am sorry I wasn't clear about the compilation being something to rush on. I can get by with bookmarks and file searches until then, with no issue.

It would be best as separate docs for syles, items, etc instead of one reference. No rush in any way whatsoever intended.

I was mainly thinking of it being easy for data entry into a self-calculating sheet in t.he far future. I know the process for putting one together and have several template examples for other games to make it theoretically possible to do one for Kamigakari in that far future.

Surely something like the 5etools on github would work great for this?

Sure! It wouldn't even be as complicated as a 5E one or Pathfinder since Kamigakari is loads easier. It's all fairly straightforward math and selecting options.

That's why I like SRS and Kamigakari as the most optional and open so far would be a great sheet project for someone other than me even to run with trying.

I'd be slow going since my time is limited, so nothing speedy from me.

well, if you wanna do that, more power to ya.

I'd wait until kamigakari anons OCD about the mistranslated parts has abated though. Otherwise you risk putting in false or misleading info.

Bump

Y'know, thanks to that gif, i just realized there's no real control based abilities. At least to my knowledge.

That girl would be closest to a divine talker A/ Contractor B, but without some element of control to it, you can't really emulate her.

I'd say Legion B is as close to a controller as you'll get. Legion B works by creating obstacles, which can block movement, but then also destroy it, and has some abilities that end movement as well, plus a few of their own movement abilities.

Yeah, but i didn't mean battlefield control per se. Even hammers get options like that.

I meant literally taking control of someone.

Oh! Indeed, not really such a thing.

Thats actually a bit sad. Temporarily controlling enemies would provide a neat battlefield control option.

vump

Ah, my bad. My versions of the books are from when Kamigakari-user first posted the links. Time to update then.

Misaka clones.

Race Human(?)

Legion A. Elemental adept B. Uses firearms and special goggles.

The pastebin books update on their own. You don't need to worry about that. The PDF however will stay the same for the fore-seeable future.

Yay? Nay? Meh?

If you mean sheer formatting, i like it. Its a nice break from the sheer white the majority of it has.

This'll be the format for the player's options thing I'm thinking of doing. Except it's probably dangerous to do it because I keep frowning at little mistakes. Terrible.

That looks awesome!

It looks great so far, can't wait to see the finished product.

Not bad, but something is straining my eyes while looking it. Maybe it's the font?

I don't mind changing it, but I'm not really good with picking fonts. I literally just googled "what's a good font" and Garamond came up. If something would be better, I'm all ears!

I don't know, maybe something from Lucida fonts?

Book Antiqua font. I actually kind of like this one.

And Lucida Sans Unicode. I didn't care for how Lucida Console looked, this one looks like it might be okay. (I flubbed up the dot between Sword/Ranged, I know.)

I think this one looks best so far. Its easy to read, and deals with a lot of the negative space the talents take up, justifying their size a bit more.

I agree, the third looks the better one.

By negative space, you mean all the empty space in the effect boxes? That's being done just for consistency's sake. Some Talents have much longer text then these, and I wanted a box that could handle everything so the pages looked the same.

Seems like Lucida is the winner so far though. The only thing I dislike is it lacks a bold, hmm.

well, you got time. keep gathering opinions as you please, till you are satisfied.

Best girl from rozario.

Race: Darkstalker
Style's: Elemental adept A/B

Weapon: magic weapon refluffed as a lollipop.

Hmm, trying to make a gunslinger that is mobile and agile.

I was thinking Legion A / Arc Slayer B, but anyone else have any ideas?

If you are looking for speed and area control, dark hunter B is your thing. Especially with its talents that allow you to take ranged attacks after movement.

This isn't obvious, but Dark Hunter A's auto skill is actually quite good for mobility, because the Combat Move comes from a Talent, not as a Move Action. Therefore, you do not take any of the penalties associated with Combat Moves. (This is a thing from the FAQ.)

Will take a look at them.

Hmm, now to decide if I want to go one-handed ranged or two-handed ranged...

If you take ambidexterity, you can dual wield one-handed guns. Thats also something to think about.

Translation anew! I did some Racials. Specifically, the expansion Talents for Scion. Link for ease.

pastebin.com/ZxvQdS6J

>everything a scion gets

Jesus christ my kamen rider will love that shit. And some of it even gets guarantee's if you can use the appropriate talents.

my god, this will be awesome. War god aura here i come.

Definitely thinking about it.

Gonna be fun making this. I know one of my brothers also taking a look at this wants to make God Hand A / Dragon Carrier of some sort.

Two-for! Translated the Demon Eyed racial talents in the expansion book as well. I'm playing a Demon Eyed in a friend's game, Contractor A / Legacy User A, so it's nice to read it in English.

Nice. i dunno if anyone in my group is playing a demon eyed, but if anyone wants to, the more options, the better.

From personal experience, dragon carriers are a really potent class, and they make good use of being "Equipped with unarmed" like god hand. Albeit usually through using guards, but with god hand, this potential gets a lot higher.

Its a good mix.

Lets do something a bit different for this one.

Bancholeomon would likely be a Hanyou. He's not nearly got the dark connotation that darkstalkers themselves have.

So far as style's, god hand A/B, all the way.

Normally unequipped, you could get a switch hand sword to emulate the one bancholeomon uses on occasion.

There isn't any kind of once per session shrug off any attack type talent or weapon, is there?

It would go with the rachel alucard build i did up top if there was one, but i sorely doubt it.

why no pdf instead of a rar?

Good question. i couldn't tell ya though.

If you mean why no PDF in the main link instead of the RAR, the RAR is more all inclusive and includes the PDF in it. It has the PDF, the sample characters, the map of the city, all that good stuff.

If you want just the PDF though, here ya go.

Hey, this game looks pretty neat. Kind of weird with all the brackets though.

I bought two Role & Roll Magazines, expecting one of them to have more Godforged Regalia. The website even said it did. It did not! All it had was more Artificial Regalia, albeit at high levels (16k cost and such).

The other one I bought with tough Mononoke, though, that one certainly had tough Mononoke. Like the 50 initiative divine horse that can 1/combat take their turn first regardless of initiatives. It laughs at Time Wizards. A laughing horse.

Its just a holdover from the translation process.

That said, i found that they actually help understand a few things

Thats both awful and amazing, respectively.

Having ran Doublecross a few times, is it me or does this seem like the urban fantasy counterpart to DX? Not that this is itself a bad thing.

I hear it's actually a competitor for DX in Japan, since they're pretty similar. Considering Kami just got a new expansion and I believe a couple new reprints, and DX also got a new book, the competition doesn't seem to be slowing down.

It's rather funny that Kamigakari is basically DX's urban fantasy counterpart given I actually once reworked DX into a more Nasuverse-esque setting due to players not being super sold on the 'anime X-Men' thing.