/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm

>News
theonyxpath.com/now-available-cursed-necropolis-rio/
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/

This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/up-the-amazon-without-a-paddle-monday-meeting-notes/

>Question:
What was your very first WoD character like?

Other urls found in this thread:

mrgone.rocksolidshells.com/fonts.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I took the character suggestion of "nightstalking journalist" and made one of those.

Speaking of Beast, I haven't been clued in since the first revision, did it approach something that isn't terribly embarrassing to even just read about?

Obligatory repost

Does anyone have this "World of Darkness General" layer/template available separate from this image?

Its kinda better. Biggest issue i have us how much reliance ot has on the other splat books as other npcs

>Sire, pardon the intrusion, but the Anarch are revolting.
They most certainly are, the whole notion is just disgusting, so disrespectful. Though acknowledging that is important, it's also no reason to interrupt my ...
>Apologies, Sire, I mean that they're making riots in streets. Right now.
Well then, we shall notify Prince of this beautiful city to restore order. Now who would that be...
>You are, Sire.
Oh! Really? Lucky me! Since when? No matter, fetch my weapon, armor and send for the finest horse. We ride into the streets!

This is present state of Camarilla.

A very unoriginal Gangrel

>Malkavian prince

A scottish gangrel who spent some time in barcelona and got recruited by Anarchs by chance

Now what's the deal with that Zack Sabbath guy? I mean ok he's a stalker but he's an artist, not a writer am i right?

How does it feel to be this wrong?
Exalted > CofD > Scion > OWoD (if scion means 1e)
Exalted > Scion > CofD > OWoD (if scion means 2e)

He's a writer, actually. He wrote a lot of We Eat Blood and All Our Friends Are Dead, which is not particularly well liked.

>I mean ok he's a stalker but he's an artist, not a writer am i right?
He wrote some books for Lamentation of the Flame Princess

My very first was a Gangrel, solved every problem with physical force, because his animal servants were cockroaches, nothing happened in the city he wasn't aware of. He used the boxing merit to permastun anything he fought.

So a neglegible artist hired to try and cater to his fanbase

I can accept that strategy, companies pulled weirder shit

The problem is that he's got a lot of drama surrounding him and if the work isn't good enough, it'll get drowned out by the drama. That and OSR fans usually just stick to OSR for their horror gaming anyways, so it's not like there's inherent crossover.

Lo and behold, the work wasn't good enough. The Mage VN is the only one that seems to get some more positive buzz.

Some tremere asswipe that got handed to me for one shot game

Does anyone have any World of Darkness story times?

Lairs are nice

How about the time two asswipes i played with wanted to play two incestous lesbian tremere twins with the goal to diablerize all other players and scaring away a batch of new players for life?

#relationshipgoals

>What was your very first WoD character like?
Emo teen Gangrel orphaned foster home runaway.
I was 14.

Here, newfag. Next time, lurk moar.

... did you not read my post? I'm asking for the text as a separate thing, a template or a photoshop layer. Not just cropped from the image either, but a transparent .png or whatever that can be superimposed on another image that'd be fitting for a WoDG OP.

Funniest thing of this is i was recently informed that the couple broke up after years accusing eachother of being insane loli-loving sailor moon fapping freaks

they are both men and they never met eachother in person

But yeah they were both totally loli-loving sailor moon fapping, game breaking, whining, fat-trembling, fedora tipping, furry petting cancerous faggots

Southern baptist preacher Obrimos mage

Font is called Garish Monde in New World of Darkness Fonts Package on Mr. Gone's page
mrgone.rocksolidshells.com/fonts.html

Oh my, I never really expected to find it. Thought it was made in photoshop or something like it. From the bottom of my heart, user, thank you.

First character was a Sonny/Johnny-5/Iron Giant/CHAPPIE unfleshed Promethean, developed to be a replacement soldier, his developer went kinda crazy making him, and he ended up on the run from a PMC

Neon and Chrome Virtual Adept, mostly unremarkable otherwise.

Middle aged Gangrel blues musician.

I had an idea: the Abyss is actually the remnants of former Supernal Truths and Gods killed and deleted from reality when the Exarchs ascended (or just some people believe this.)

This would imply:

Mad Scelesti who seek to restore Abyssal truths to Supernal status.
Mad Scelesti who summon and kill Supernal entities to create Abyssal creatures of vast power.
Overthrowing and removing the Exarchs from the Supernal would be a terrible idea as it would create a new and vastly powerful extension to the Abyss more horrible than the Exarchs themselves.
Reflections of the Watchtowers in the Abyss such as the Tremere tree might actually be former Watchtowers, successfully deleted from reality by the Exarchs or worse.
Deleted Watchtowers may actually be quite common but just never actually noticed because they were retroactively removed from time.

The only reason stuff like that would be an issue is if you're playing with people who have more interest in min/maxing and 'winning' the game than roleplay. Complexity in the system to make the odds superficially harder to calculate is a solution in search of a problem.

That rather obviously makes the Abyss the most powerful faction that is the winner of every conflict and can absolutely never lose. If you're fine with that implication, then go ahead, just mind that your players might just stop caring about the Abyss threatening anything or anyone, as its eventual victory is absolutely inevitable regardless of what even the mightiest Archmasters could possibly do.

I don't see how that is any different than the standard cosmology.

Really, I think the only way to really win against the Abyss is for Archmages to build a bunch of Watchtowers.

It's different in that the Abyss isn't really anything special in canon, to the point where it's represented as just another participant in the pact that the other participants are at worst ambivalent about and usually simply ignore?
> the only way to really win against the Abyss is for Archmages to build a bunch of Watchtowers
I fail to see what difference would that make.

An innocents character believe it or not. Standard kind of to nice for his own good little boy.

How long did he last?

Well it depends. If I remember right it was around seven sessions, but he totally lived. It was sort of an intro thing, our group all rolled up kids and then went through a sort of weird adventure thing, one together but then each had their own solo thing on different days. Then we picked up about seventeen years later for a more 'regular' story using the same character but all grown up.

What kind of supernaturals did you deal with? Vampires? Garou? Something entirely else?

Haven't had one yet, i'm the Storyteller.

fag

double fag

triple fag

quadruple fag

This was a LONG time ago, so sorry if the memories are a bit dim.
The thing was split, there were like 3-5 sessions as a group which was basic little kids see something weird and get interested fair, and then things got kinda intense and the next two or three were each person individually, the ST met with each of us on separate days and this laid alot of the ground work for the coming stuff, before the final two were back as a group.
The first 'arc' was a new group of kids in a new school. It started off with mostly roleplay, all the kids met each other and become friends through an accelerated two months or so. Then the weirdness starts, a new family moves in, a few kids go missing, and a new teacher shows up to class. Everyone remembers the teacher being there all year, he's even on the records, but its not the same teacher any of the kids remember. So they do what little kids do and form a 'gang' to solve mysteries with.
I can't remember all of them, but I know one of the parent's of one of the random students was a mage, and another parent was a Malleus hunter. The disappearing kids were from a True fey, and the last supernatural thing was a non splat monster, basically a dryad like thing, kind of like a nature spirit crossed with a human.
The end of the group part of the story was that the kids managed to save one kid from getting taken by the fey, and ended up killing one of the things they leave behind to replace them that I forget the name of. with the help of the hunter. In my personal stuff I kind of made friends with the tree lady and got her to give me a magic fruit, and it started off my character as the one willing to try and deal with the supernatural as people.

quintuple fag

A lot of sexual tension goin' on

If only someone were to relieve it...

fag

You're all equally faggy.

Cardposters are virgins

That's my girlfriend's favorite hentai/manga. Should I be worried?

fag

faggot

homosexual

gaylord

You idiots are insufferable.

LARP'er

no u

fag

I'm afraid that ship has sailed well over decade ago. Though if one were to judge by the amount of action I'm (not) seeing lately, I might as well be.

Does either of you look like petite teenage boy? I would say don't worry about it, there's worse things to like out there. So much worse...

Epic bants ITT

Did that guy give an example of how you can game the system in nwod and how its bad yet?

Cos all i saw was he said "oh but you can botch im so edgy and then previously said you had to house rule the fact you can fuck up average tasks you perform every day"

He doesnt exist yet.
Im a forever gm

Hey, could be worse. You could be forever lurker/reader, like me. I've read a ton of WoD books and I've yet to play anything.

fag

Shit quoted the wrong person.

Whatever. Here's a template. Have fun.

gay thread

ur gay

shut up

Rate my antagonist for an upcoming vampire the requiem game I'm gonna run.

>the rare one in one billion exception to the no hybrid splat rule
>awoken mage who was embraced by a vampire, but still has access to arcanum
>vampire mage eventually sees final death centuries before game begins
>uses a rote/spell to disperse his consciousness into other vampires
>surprise he's the source from where malkavia originates
>vampires who cants support his will go mad.
>vampires who can become part of the hive mind

gay

fag

>>the rare one in one billion exception to the no hybrid splat rule
stopped reading there, it's shit, apply yourself

I didn't know malkavia was a thing in requiem but sounds serviceable enough anyways. Real question is how are the players supposed to interact with something like that?

Care to elaborate how I could improve?

mageposting was better than this

dont be a snowflake

Interaction is something like agent Smith from the matrix.

fag

And how should I do that?

We're all snowflakes here though. Mommy told me so.

Not my fault you weren't paying attention.

Nothing better than having a game where the numbers on your sheet don't mean anything, and you have no way of actually knowing what you are good at or more likely to critically fail at.

Sounds like a great way to do things if you don't want players to have any agency in their characters or decisions.

i missed it cos its retarded and not remotely an example of in play.

have fun having "tension" rolling any dicepool when using botches

They actually do. You can still run roughshod over combat encounters and the like if you build for it. Nothing like throwing nine and ten attack and dice at something three rounds. You should consistently prevail but success is no longer a virtual guarantee.

And that isn't how botches have worked since revised/20th. You only botch if you roll no successes. If ones bring you down to zero successes, it's an ordinary failure so the likelihood of botching DOES decrease as your skill grows except at difficulty 10. At ten, all things are equal UNLESS you are working within your specialization, at which point tens are doubled.

Not an argument.

Alright I caught up with this whole debate since nothing else is happening. Correct me if I'm wrong here but are you honestly trying to say that being able to make a character and know he's going to succeed at certain tasks is a bad thing?

infinity +1 fag

Just make him a successful version of Tremere. Even in CofD just say it was a Mage who managed to achieve the immortality of vampirism with shenanigans, but the catch is that he has to drink the blood of Mages to maintain his magic.

I guess you could say that it might be a bad thing in a horror game, where bad things should threaten to happen any moment, but the higher difficulty of an average CofD roll compared to an average WoD roll ultimately evens out if we're considering the idea of these mechanics creating any kind of tension besides maybe a momentary, gambling kind.

If we're actually going to examine how successful these games are as horror games mechanically, they're going to come up short, but a lot of that is because horror in RPG gaming is very difficult even before you put down math.

>bad things should threaten to happen any moment
That doesn't need to be baked into the very conflict resolution mechanics, and in fact probably shouldn't be. Horror or no its still a game, you need to have a reasonable idea of what things are likely to succeed and what things aren't, and if the mechanics are always uneven then what are supposed to be mundane tasks can become needlessly difficult. Like, wasn't it 1e where a regular housecat could straight up kill most police?

You get tension from other places. From having enemies or forces that are way more powerful than the heroes, or having an enemy who could show up at any second without warning, or things like that. Hell if you're judging tension off whether a roll is likely to succeed then you can create tension anywhere by just making higher difficulty rolls, or rolls of moderate difficulty that have serious consequences for failure.
The mechanics are there to help tell the story, not to BE the story.

At risk of sounding like a fag. I don't really like that idea

>the rare one in one billion exception to the no hybrid splat rule
0/10
Go back, and start again.

From the perspective of a forever ST, yes.

I fucking hate this. Lorewise, it's literally impossible for a vampire to Awaken, period. The souls are too changed for that to ever be the case.
A normal mage would make for a better villain, even if it WAS possible. Something outside of Kindred society is far more terrifying than something that's within, and nothing terrifies vampires more than wizards of the truest order.

infinity+2 fag

Are vampires actually afraid of mages though? Aren't they rather ignorant of how true magic works?

Fag.