EDH/Commander General

"Fucking Goon" Edition

Previously on EDH General:
RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
What's the most underappreciated block/setting?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/political-suicide/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/before-nixilis-there-was-him/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/24-06-15-mono-black-goodies/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fuck Sheldon.

What are you talking about?

Eldrazi Monument

That gives flying, not vigilance, and it affects all creatures.

I'll think about it.

How many reanimation spells should a reanimator deck run, and which are generally considered worth playing? I have a ton available, but I'm wondering if it's worth running things like twilight's call.

>What's the most underappreciated block/setting?
Block: Either Time Spiral or Ice Age. They both had a ton of weird, cool stuff. Ice Age is showing some wear from years of power creep but it's still where I discover a lot of bizarre effects with no remakes or even similars. And Time Spiral has those touches of batshit insanity that make it look like the average "Custom Card"/"You make the Card" effort got actual workshopping to be good. Looking at you, sprout swarm.

>Setting
Ulgrotha. Pity the cards were mostly trash.

Coldsnap/Ice Age for most underappreciated block.
Kamigawa for most underappreciated setting.

I always find a fun and wonderful Coldsnap gems for my deck. Latest one I started using was pic related.

Kamigawa is the most underappreciated setting. The block had issues but many were out of the block's control (like Mirrodin being the shitshow it was and Commander not being a big seller) but it was the 2nd to last block in which they took many risks during design (Time Spiral being the last).

I don't know if I'd call Time Spiral underappreciated. It's normally cited by most personalities as their favorite set in addition to most people who were around during that time. Great block though.

Remember to check your mail, friends

I did, user

>Doomsday

Whatcha buildin'

Nin chaos deck. The Land Tax is for my Avacyn deck.

Those are bad but Nekusar and Gaddock Teeg etc are fine?

OG Mirrodin, if I am allowed to meme its obviously Homelands

This combo is ridiculously easy to deal with after the first few times

Nekusar is literally sign in blood every turn, if you can't deal with it and not draw into removal you need to rethink your deck, never played against a teeg deck but plenty of anti bear cards to punish it in turn

Posted this near end of last thread so trying once more on one that isn't about to die:

About to buy a bunch of cards for a new Queen Marchesa deck, but was wondering if I left out anything extra spicy or if there's anything in here that's not as effective as I may think it is. Maybe there's too much removal or not enough creatures or something.

It may not necessarily win often with it, but I'm hoping that introducing Monarchy and playing hybrid pillowfort / group thug will be a fun new addition to the table.

Notable cards:
- Heartless Hidetsugu, Havoc Festival, Mana Barbs, Mogis, Spiteful Visions, and Sulphuric Vortex to kill everyone
- Dictate of the Twin Gods and Wound Reflection to kill everyone even faster.
- Ghostly Prison, Sphere of Safety, Norn's Annex, Island Sanctuary (not drawing doesn't matter if I'm the monarch), Kazuul, and Windborn Muse to not die.
- Deflecting Palm, Master Warcraft, Comeuppance, and Goblin Spymaster for hilarity.
- Humble Defector and Soldevi Sentry for goofy politics.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/political-suicide/

pls send second opinions

I will when I order stuff around the 3rd. Have a small sample of what I'm working with for my Hapatra deck.

>Dictate of the Twin Gods and Wound Reflection
Gratuitous Violence, you say?

No devoted druid/quillspike combo for infinite sneks?

>This combo is ridiculously easy to deal with after the first few times
Not in my group. My meta is Timmytown and I get to build whatever the hell I want

>I'm so cool bragging about being in a group of casual players

Tell us more oh wise one

They're not in my collection currently, but they are on the list of things to order.

I might go channeler initiate over druid since the latter is $5.

What do you guys think of the 75% philosophy?

So if I build Titania with Crucible of Worlds and Strip Mine how uncool is that on a scale of "very uncool" to "you know you're a complete asshole"

So I'm thinking of building her. What sort of playstyle does she support the most? If I had to go off of what her ability is, I'm going to guess combo with green ramp support?

Try Recycle/Null Profusion for hilarity.

Depends on the group, and where 75% falls for your deck. To compare my first EDH deck with my latest, DGM Teysa durdle at 100% would be fine, but combo tribal Breya is probs gonna stay 75%ish just so I dont scare off the local Timmies & my casual buddies.

Make a judgement call user, and if all else fails, ask your playgroup about it.

It's fun you should try it some time

>mfw I do this to blow up my own lands and make a huge army
>mfw I return all my lands to the field with Splendid Reclamation

Titania is awesome dude, run it

Okay yeah that sounds fun.

No thanks. I'm not enough of a cocksucking faggot

That is pretty hilarious. I'm going to guess that you'd combine this with a lot of effects that involve graveyard play and/or Praetor's Counsel after you get those two enchantments out?

It's a shame you hate fun

I'm sorry I've been posting this the past few threads but I am still seeking better options for it. Buying cards as I am able to, what else could I add or remove from it?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/before-nixilis-there-was-him/

How much shitposting mileage you gonna squeeze out of that pic because if it's much more I'll just filter posters with that image name.

What the fuck does that even mean?

In my extremely casual opinion, retrace cards like Worm Harvest and Spitting Image are okay for getting extra lands out of your hand (for Damia) or getting extra spells (from land draws if Recycle's out).

But if you've got Recycle or Null Profusion out AND keep Damia out then you don't have to worry about a thing.

It means you've used that image several times in multiple threads all with equally worthless contributions to said threads and I'm just curious how long until you don't find that image amusing anymore.

Not even that guy. I actually didn't know it was possible to filter by specific images

Some userscripts let you do that. It's much more useful on other board where people try to force memes.

Kamigawa remains one of my favorite Magic settings because it actually looked like it had some effort in it and didn't go for cheap pop-Japanese culture and myth and instead really dug deep for some interesting stuff. It's a shame that it'll either never get revisited or if it does it won't be the same.

My other vote for most underrated block is Lorwyn. I love a lot of the art and cards that came out of it and the fairy tale vibe it gave off was great.

Delaying shield, never lose monarch

Is there anything my deck is missing?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/24-06-15-mono-black-goodies/

Also does Luminarch Ascension real good.

Bloodgift Demon but no Seizan?

And maybe a Filth to not reanimate.

This is only really useful with Heartless Hidetsugu given the relative dearth of creatures in this deck, but it's a good idea.

Now that's spicy. Noice.

More of the Seven Steel Thanes when? I want Kraynox to finally show up.

Oh, then Gisela instead.

>Kraynox
Are you me? He's like the last interesting one though. Geth and Sheoldred are printed, Roxith is dead, and Azax-Azog and Vraan are dull as shit. OK, I guess there's Thrissik, who's fairly interesting and, IMO, one of the more likely Phyrexians to join up with the anti-establishment faction alongside Urabrask. Melira really fits the bill for his "destroyer" if you think too much about it but Krayanox is better, being a freaky oil-spider-oracle

Besides Samut, is there replacement for Xenagos if you want to go more colors than RG?

He was the one I chose to mention by name simply because he stands out the most to me. If anything Kraynox feels like he fits the bill for black Praetor better than anyone, possibly even better than Sheoldred who is pretty dead now. He embodies the Old Phyrexia way to a T. Roxith seems like he could've been cool too, but like you said he's dead.

Literally anything with blue user.

Hazezon Tamar.

Anime or Anime.

I prefer a 90% approach

What is that?

It's a myth. There is no such thing as a deck that can win games against tier 1 decks and doesn't completely steamroll atog tribal.

>he's never lost to an Atogatog with a fireshrieker.

It's called control.

Ok, so somehow you are playing a control deck that has good enough wincons to still win against tier 1 decks, and those don't work as well against shit decks.

Reread my post, I never said slow down tier 1 decks, I said beat them. A dedicated control deck with cheap answers can slow down the best decks in the format, sure. But how would one of those decks actually win against it, without stomping weaker decks.

If you wanna talk shit from here on out I'mma need a list negro.

Yisan scales with the table well as he's so weak to wraths and removal which are more prevalent in mid power metas than balls to the wall cutthroat.

Why did they need to kill of the eldrazi in the most boring way possible

Is otherpeoplescards tribal any good?

Or would Dragonlord Ojutai be more interesting? I have an urge to build around a Dragonlord, but all the non-blue ones seem uninteresting in EDH.

>Is otherpeoplescards tribal any good?
Sounds like the average Lazav deck desu

Make decks strong enough to win consistently, but not strong enough to be oppressive to the rest of the playgroup by stifling game variance.

Why do you think tier 1 decks don't run removal?

More importantly, why do you think that babbies casual decks somehow run more removal than tier 1 decks. The yisan decks I have seen typically play him turn 2 and win around 3 turns later. If you don't think consistent turn 5 wins with immunity from spot removal after you untap on turn 3 is too strong for casual tables it's probably because you don't understand the meaning of the word.

Like I said, there is no deck that does both.

TFC runs Swords, Fire Covenant, Abrupt Decay and Chain of Vapor.

And how many tutors? A shit ton. Never mind the fact that if tazri just races yisan he should win anyway, so that's a bad example for yisan.

Plenty of people love it but I'd still say Tempest. The golden age of the game before Urza block ruined everything.

That's a lot of presumptions there. I never said that T1 decks run no removal. They don't run as much as mid-high powered decks. There is a spectrum between Craw Wurm and Doomsday, no-one but you mentioned baby's first decks.

I didn't mention Ydris whatsoever. That was another guy. You made the claim that T1 decks don't run removal but I listed one that has effectively 10ish copies of removal.

There's now like 4 people discussing this and you're never replying to the right person.

Negro what I am "presuming" is the definition of 75% which is supposed to be a deck that can beat tier 1 decks without steamrolling casual ones.

Yisan steamrolls casuals.

I seriously do not even know what we're arguing anymore.

Yeah, I'll concede that's true. I was a bit glib in how I said it, but I was meaning that Yisan is good for competitive and won't dominate "75%" scenes the way Tazri or Jeleva would. Maybe you can't build a deck that's ok across all power levels, but you can have one that can straddle a couple.

What are your top 3 "bad" cards that you like to play?
1. nightscape familiar
2 goblindark dwellers
3 chandra flamecaller

I bought the gay kings deck from but it had a land pack inside of it and no commander cards. Can i return it to target or are they going to give me grief about returning trading cards?

Contact wizards instead

>Sheoldred
MLD is probably fine with you

How is it stingy? MOST cards cost less than a dollar. Almost ALL expensive cards have marginally worse versions for under a dollar. If you can't put together a solid casual deck for under $60 then yes, you are bad at building decks. I've built a $60 Temur dragon tribal that slayed in casual, the most expensive cards were Deadeye Navigator and Utvara Hellkite. I've built a $60 Daretti deck that slays in Casual EDH. OH NO I had to skip the Arcbound Ravager, who gives a shit that one card isn't going to make the deck that much better, and it's not worth $35 for a silly little card. I have a family, a child, priorities, responsibilities, and I could have all the money in the world and STILL wouldn't waste it on super expensive magic cards, because that shit is fucking ridiculous.

>tfw I've become a meme

Welp.

familiar and dwellers are pretty good cards, what are you talking about?

I used to think that land destruction had no place in casual EDH... But now I realize I had a warped view of casual EDH. I used to think that cards like Sheoldred, Jitte, Ulamog, a few God enchantment creatures, etc all had no place in casual EDH.
Nowadays I realize that these things are fine for casual EDH, but with that realization I've also realized that Land Destruction should be fine as well. The truth is that if someone is playing mono red they not only can't take care of powerful enchantments but they have very few ways to take out creatures with over 7 toughness or indestructible creatures. So are you going to tell me that they should either A) get very lucky or B) willingly lose the game because they have no options?
No, neither of those choices are acceptable. The truth is that land destruction is the most powerful tool in Red's arsenal, not using it puts mono red players at a supreme disadvantage. If you feel like you're allowed to use supremely strong creatures "because they can be removed" or supremely strong enchantments "because they can be removed" then I feel that I'm allowed to use supremely strong land destruction "because you can run mana rocks".
And just as you say "Well you should run more removal!" I say "Well you should run more mana rocks!" and then you can say "Well I do but they aren't in my hand right now!" and I reply WITH THE EXACT SAME SENTIMENT towards removal.
So at the end of the day I say this; If the point of casual edh is still to win, which it obviously is if you're running $20 powerful praetors, then I'm going to do what I can to win, which is to keep you from being able to play those praetors.

Help me Veeky Forums, I have room in my deck case for one more commander deck and I'm not sure what to build! So far I have:

Aurelia Boros Midrange/Aggro
Breya artifacts (exactly what you think)
Melek Spellslinger
Kalitas 2.0 Stax/Tribal/Combo
Roon Landfall/Bant "Goodstuff" (it doesn't go full ham)
Zegana Ocean Themed (Merfolk, Leviathans, etc)
Lovisa Coldeyes Tribal/Land Hate

I don't know what to do for my last deck!

QFT

This is good bait, but you are coming on a little strong with arcbound ravager. Mox diamond is an expensive card that would actually be played, try using that as your example the next time you shitpost, you might get more (you)

I genuinely hope this is bait, but I'm worried that it might not be

>He's a Sheoldred apologist

how do i convince my play group that i am not the biggest threat at the table? for the last month they keep focusing me while the sliver player just amasses this giant sliver army and wins. they are even complaining after each game that the sliver guy keeps winning as if they didnt directly cause it. its starting to become really fucking annoying and making me not want to play anymore.

Try using a commander that isn't max tier faggotry t b h

Judging by your behavior here it's because you are a whiny bitch. It's probably a lot of fun for them to blow you out and watch you react.

Or maybe it's the cards you play, idk. You seem dumb as hell otherwise you would have given more info

Stop playing Sheoldred is the only answer

Jhoira
Every wheel effect ever made
Tons of copy spell/ability cards
Lots of mana rocks
A bit of the best mill around (Traumatize etc)

>Play Jhoira
>Spam copied wheel effects
>In between each resolve, suspend anything from each fresh hand that you don't want to discard, while everyone else just dumps tons of cards.
>Copy those suspended wheels as they come out, repeat etc
>Mill all those nerds out with 10 wheels.

Sometimes people don't understand how threatening certain cards are and if you're just defensively bitching about how your own board state isn't dangerous, people are going to get suspicious. Point out every time Mana Echoes, any of the legendary Slivers or other key pieces are on the board that those are top priority and if that player isn't dealt with, he will win. Eventually they'll listen unless your own autism is too severe.

i dont though, they keep saying the reason they do it is because one time like 2 months ago when i built a bruna deck i one shot everyone with extra turns and stuff. since that day i have never played that deck again but they keep bringing it up as if all of my decks are like that and they know damn well they are not

>group keeps ignoring the biggest threat
>how do stop?
what other info do you need? are you not capable of understanding the problem? i dont know how to simplify it further

i dont play degenerate shit

Sounds like you made a mistake and are still paying for it which sounds about right. They'll get over it eventually. Also stop over extending early.

i do all that and then they just ignore it until he have 10 10/10 slivers all with double strike, indestructible, flying, and infect. then they bitch about it and act like it wasnt something he has been building for like 5 turns meanwhile im playing a 1v3 game just watching him drop sliver after sliver

>Am the only sliver player at my shop
>Been winning occasionally recently only through people ignoring my combo pieces
>Nervousness intensifies

T I B A L T