Gimme some seldom done settings/inspirations

Gimme some seldom done settings/inspirations

the Late Roman Empire never seems to get much love

Other urls found in this thread:

washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/07/17/the-euro-is-a-disaster-even-for-the-countries-that-do-everything-right/?utm_term=.e0eaf1325db0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>loving litteral shit

What's your problem bud

>5th Century roman centurion
>Not a blue eyed blond haired 7ft tall aryan
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

How about prehistoric human settings?

Heard there's a GURPS book for it but don't hear people playing it much.

There's a GURPS book for everything. I'm pretty sure there's a GURPS book for playing a campaign set entirely in my asshole.

>I'm pretty sure there's a GURPS book for playing a campaign set entirely in my asshole.
GURPS Basic Set

>late roman empire
>siberian tribes
>west-african kingdoms
>oceanian tribes
>central-african kingdoms
>south-east asia
>pre-spic infested north-america

There is but it got shit reviews

The problem with GURPS books is they inevitably make the settings they try to present incredibly dull by dragging the reader through endless pages of marginally relevant information written in the most boring textbook prose possible.

>thinking foederati were actually human beings

Man, Central Asia would be my jam.

>marginally relevant

You try to write a setting primer for a simulationist RPG.

I´d like to see an Napoleonic Wars/Victorian Era european steampunk setting sometime.

I thought the idea with GURPS was it could be as complex as you wanted it to be, can't you just pick and choose what you want?

GURPS Ice Age is the one I think, from what I've heard food has a kcal stat and you need to consume enough calories to survive. Sounds like pure autism but I'd quite like to try it.

Central Asia is often used, but never at the center of a setting. Quite the shame.

A Central-Asian campaign would allow for messing with Europe, the Middle-East, South-Asia and North-Asia. Such a wide range of possibilities.

Iron Age and kinda anything before gothic plate
in depth Africa and Mesoamerica

Alternative, Europe inbetween the Renaissance and the Napoleonic era.

Early modern period is lacking too. Typically people just take the typical Medieval Fantasy, and slap some guns on it to emulate it.

The south is a great setting, steam boat adventures up the mississippi. Slavery side quests that can be adapted for good and evil characters.
War for territory between the French, British, Natives etc. Class disputes.
One of my favourite books shares the same setting, Fevre Dream by GRRM.

Yeah, I'm tired of people writing not-mongols as illiterate barbarian hordes living in their own filth
*cough*dothraki*cough*

Arctic exploration.

Got you, senpai
at least, when it comes to pictures

Massagetae 4 lyf! Horse-stoners rule!

Also, have a look at Against the Wicked City. It's an OSR blog mostly about an early modern, clockpunk, central asian setting. It's pretty neat

Cool - I myself don't really play D20, but OSR games (or things trying to hearken back to that older feel of the game) always gets my going.

Would you guys play in fantasy colonial australia, but with your standard "medieval" tech levels?
I was designing a setting and suddenly realised that's what it basically boils to.

aaaAnd that;s it for the late-roman stuff - for now. Hopefully the thread continues, and become more than just a chance to image-post.

Sure - but when you say
>fantasy colonial australia, but with your standard "medieval" tech levels(?)
What do you mean by that? Could you elaborate?

>Would you guys play in fantasy colonial australia, but with your standard "medieval" tech levels?
How would that even work?

My first thought would be Aboriginal knights invading some parallel dream world by some magical ritual.

It's d&d, so the tech level would be somewhat late medieval/early renaissance, with plate but firearms still in experimental stage.

It's a penal colony of sorts, so the campaigns would usually start with the players getting dropped there by ship from the mainland.
The kingdom they came from effectively controls some coastal areas, but as you go deeper into the continent you come into territories controlled by bandits, who got dropped off there just like the players and did what they knew best to get by, and the tribal natives, who worship an entirely different pantheon.
It's a really big island with a nice desert in the middle and dangerous wildlife everywhere.
It's 'straya senpai.

Actually I'd say GRRM goes the opposite way, he makes them relatively honorable (ok), ridicolously sexy (eh) and have skimpy clothing (which is heavy bullshit, even considering Dany goes with them in summer).

Real mongols were disciplined and I'm sure they weren't that bad when not going full genocide, but the filth part seems to be real. EVERYONE complained about the stench, from China to Europe, it couldn't possibly be just propaganda.

Europeans complaining about the stench? Wow. Hahahah, that must have been some serious shit.

Out of Romans, posting Romans
Cool. Do you need any help with the setting? Or anything like that - I'm not a historian or anything, but I have lived here, well, my whole life, so I might be able to help out.

Or, alternatively, use that as an excuse to post about the setting/campaign

Do you have a group lined up for it, already? Or are you just doing this thing for yourself?

Greek's, Italians, what-have-you

Truly the byzantines were the most aesthetic of all medieval armies.

You Fucking Know It

>It Ain't Gonna' Suck Itself.jpg

I personally really like the macedonian dynasty army looks.

Mostly because it was the last time Byzantium could field tens of thousands soldiers in the field,

I mean look at those borders.

It's still in the early stages, I'm merrily accepting suggestions of all kinds. Anything you know about culture, geography, nice customs, legends and stuff, some details and interesting trivia, I'll write it down and fit in somewhere.

Well technically they were without a written language until Temuchin of all people.

I find timeperiods where things are fairly fractured most interesting. So for the Byzantine Empire example, I'd wait until it started splitting into various pieces - the Latin Empire, the Empire of Nicea, etc.

People also tend to ignore China as just being 'that big united exotic and uplifted land to the east.' Kinda sucks, since China has a lot of potential for a setting at various points, especially when it's not a powerhouse and getting bullied by the Manchu or Mongols.

Woo! The last time Greeks weren't geeks.

Damn shame they couldn't hold it.

Posting my Romans. And boy do i have some.

>the Late Roman Empire
Worst and most boring part of roman history

Punic War - Caesar Augustus being proclaimed not!Emperor is best period

Problem with china is that its hard to elaborate anything. Being a non-foreign culture and with them having a long samey-history. After the fall of the Han it was almost all state conflicts.

Nigga late republican is best.

That literally is late republic though, Punic War - Rise of Caesar Augustus is the late - end of the Republic as a thing

Well then; have you ever been to the country before? And is there anything in particular that you'd be looking for/wondering about?

Most of what I could tell you would be pretty easy to find with a few google-searches, but maybe the local perspective might give you something interesting.

If anything Punic is mid-republic its Pre-Marius.

>The West Roman Empire fell
>Charlemagne failed to restore it
>Charles V failed to restore it
>Napoleon failed to restore it
>Hitler is a cunt
>The EU loves Arab cock
I don't want to live on this continent anymore!

Empire over-rated, Rome reached just about it's max size during the Republic. Augustus would even actively avoid trying to expand.

Its not the Empire per-say. But the integrity of the Western Europe. It fell into cinders after WW2.

Always wanted to visit Europe. But the thought of Paris, Rome, and Berlin covered with my fellow shitskins is off-putting.

Nice repeating digits. But yeah, I meant having a united Western Europe. Imagine if overnight the West Roman Empire sans North Africa reunited. It would overnight become at the very least on par with Russia in global affairs.

>Imperator not Consul, okay?!
>Praise Augustus.

Doesn't matter. ROMA INVICTA!

>not Romanoi

You had one job.

>with them having a long samey-history

They really didn't. They (most likely) started out as tree worshippers until the Zhou Dynasty replaced that with their ancestral cult of communal meat&wine-sacrifices, which later was replaced by Legalism which was followed by a Legalism softened by pretend-confucianism, followed by a couple of foreign dynasties that eventually led to the heigth of their meritocratic system of officialdom.

All the while technology moved from bronze age mass-production to a massive steel industry with shitloads of firearms and all the shit that previous generations produced was dug up and put on display by later generations.

>ROMA INVICTA!
Toppest kek.

>You had one job.

I'M SORRYNO I'M NOT FUCK YOU

Africa is really underused as far as settings go. Do I personally like it? Eh. But could be a great way to add some spice to the generic fantasy setting.

I suspect the stench comes down to the fact that most mongols people had to deal with were met on the road or in the aftermath of a long journey. After all, how much do you let your hygiene slip during a road trip in the comfort of a car with roadside motels?

Have you smelt horses ever? Try riding them all day for months because that's what it takes to get across your empire.

Have you ever worn leather or furs all through a hot day? Or while exercising? Try wearing it until it all falls apart on your body because you can't spare much room for spare clothes, or time to wash and dry them.

Add this to the standard medieval stench and its no wonder everyone complained. Things were unlikely nowhere near as disgusting back in the heart of mongol lands.

China wouldn't have existed anymore if Ghengis didn't have a particularly apt chinese adviser. He would have just torn down everything.

Check out Space: 1889. Colonial british dudes on Mars.

Never been there personally, but I have seen some hundreds of pictures and some videos as well, since my mother went there and is very trigger happy with cameras :^)
I think the most helpful would be information about the natives, since all I see is the petrol-chuggers meme.
Also would like to know some aspects of Australian culture that really set it apart from, say, brits and new zealanders.
Thanks famalamdingdong

If it were revived at this point, it would just be Greeks and Italians running on German/American welfare with delusions of grandeur.

Badum tish.

user, everything fades eventually. Look at how the Byzantine Empire went - by the end it was barely a shadow of what had gone before.

And another thing - history as we think of it, being studied and all, was a relatively recent thing. Even a century ago, any old stuff was basically kept just for the prestige of modern nations, not for any desire to learn about the past. If the Roman Empire had really reformed at any of those times in the past (well, aside from the Hitler example), it'd basically be as different as the various Persian empires.

Can't speak for Greeks, but remember that Italy had Il Sorpasso before the euro: a currency that literally only works for Germany.
washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/07/17/the-euro-is-a-disaster-even-for-the-countries-that-do-everything-right/?utm_term=.e0eaf1325db0

This is why Brexit has Germany on edge, not because Britain is so integral to the EU but because it might cause eurozone countries to leave. France first (or they elected an even more rapefugee-friendly version of Hollande), then most likely Italy after that. By then it's all over for Germany.

Early Colonial Americas is never used in settings. If there is every anything inspired by anything from the new world, its either pirates or wild west. The time period is all about adventures in strange lands too, seems like it would work well as a setting.

>listening to anglo papers

Yeah, they kinda ignore that Iceland is pretty much the only country that actually jettisoned its virtual money debt and axed anyone who smelled like they profited from it.

Can't talk about that in an Anglo papers, because they literally start wars over oustanding debt payments and virtual money's basically their religion.

They also ignore that Greece&Spain was banks being bailed out for being shit at their jobs and lending to people who had no securities. That is, once again, because they're Anglos and there are things you don't even dare to suggest in Anglomerica.

And devaluation isn't a long-term solution either. It eats into company's monetary reserves and makes the R&D and the expansion of production lines required to stay ahead expensive. If your economy's made up of plenty of S&MEs even prohibitively so - Italy has that issue.

Not sayin that the Euro and the Maastricht-criterions don't need to be seriously reworked and that the French were retards who figured that using D-Mark-people and D-Mark rules for the common currency would totes work out cuz they'd get some sort of magic stranglehold on the German economy via the CC... bust still, Anglo papers, man.

>It would overnight become at the very least on par with Russia in global affairs.
That's really not that high of a bar. Russia is an authoritarian country with an oversize footprint in global affairs thanks to its militarism, but Germany alone has a higher GDP.* Hell, throw Spain and Italy together and you have a higher GDP than Russia. And this is all looking at purchasing power parity. If you go with nominal GDP, Russia gets absolutely buried.

*Throw France and Germany in together, and you have a higher population than all of Russia.

Not historical but I have never seen a game set in Jack Vance's Dying Earth setting.

Tbh they genocided people because they didn't see the value of cities.
They basically wanted more grazing land for their horses.

The ottomans almost restored it.
If Mehmed II didn't die in his fifties he might have conquered italy.

There's a RPG about it, with a few books.

I feel you OP christian Roman late antiquity never gets enough love.

My dream is to run a campaign set in Sub-Roman Britain, set about the year 500 a.d.and something after the battle of Mons Badonicus and the reign of Arthur of Dumnonia, dux bellorum of the Britons.

Basically what I want is to make the players immerse themselves into the early christian myths like that of the holy grail, while keeping it somewhat historically accurate, basically taking aspiration from Cornwells The Warlord Chronicles and Bradleys Mists of Avalon ( I loved these books as a teenager, and I'm not even British)

Unlike the kitsch late feudal interpretation that is so common today, of the Arthurian legend, I want to draw more from the more older and more elemental aspects of the story, like the Celtic mythology, or the Wasteland by T.S.Elliot.

Really? Do you know what it's called?

The Dying Earth RPG. Pelgrane press I think.

Oh, sure. Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

I can't really speak from an area of expertise when it comes to Aboriginal beliefs and customs, though I can give some general pointers, and places to look for yourself (Though it'll probably be a little scatter-shot).

For example, on the left we have a map of the various Aboriginal tribal/language groups - or at least, the modern-day incarnations of those groups.
The Australian government (the regional offices (WA, SA, etc.), actually have a good amount of information able, and should be able to tell you where to look for further information.
If you are going to being including a native population, and trying to reflect real-world interaction and history with it, you'd probably want to look up the stolen-generations, and the over-all interaction between settlers and natives - I could give some basic information about it, but by god am I not equipped to go into it in detail.

As for knowledge about the larger Australian culture, its the usual tv-movie stuff; the hard-working, take-no-shit, anti-authoritarian ausy bloke. If your looking at the campaign from the point of view of the land only recently being settled, you'd probably want to look into the early settlement of Australia for inspiration. In general, you'd need (for the right feel for the campaign) the settlers to be from several different groups/countries (the Dutch, for example, also explored/discovered Australia), roughly separated into two groups; the unwanted dregs of their home countries, practically brimming with the resentment of being sent off to the arse-end of the world, and the people that came short after, expecting the new continent to be a slightly hotter version of their home, with all the amenities already built and waiting for them, ruled over by a government that treated them with a contempt matched only by their contempt of the natives (who were seen, for a good long while, as being nothing more than a rather smart part of the wild-life)

Hell, for a good long while, most people didn't even consider themselves "Australians" - even if they were born in the country; they were British (or the fantasy equivalent), and most were desperate to prove that so, so someone in your setting declaring themselves as a "Not-Australian" would be seen as quiet weird.

Sorry if this's all a bit over the place, but I'm a bit tired at the moment.

The late Roman empire just grosses me out

Like fuck, it's all so fucking ugly

shit teir opinion you got there

Then you my friend have no taste.

Late roman is aesthetic af. Also the Western Roman army being shit-tier is a meme. Ravenna was fielding a kickass force until the last twenty years or so.

Have some more.

Civil war soldiers.

I am doing a migration period like setting now though.

American Civil War. At least in my experience.

Last one in my folder.

>They basically wanted more grazing land for their horses.

>invaders trying to improve the economic situation of their direct supporters by means of absolutely inane measures that include genocide

A very novel concept, yes.