Shadow War: Armageddon General /swag/

Holy crap I'm putting too much effort into this edition.

Core rules:
>mega.nz/#!0tcUTSLI!CbZfDWqYYe0C2sIDLNlHCh1Wj9I6uihERaaGEb6wk3c

Kill Team rules:
>games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/ShadowWar/SWA_Killteams_ENG.pdf

Blank roster sheet:
>games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/ShadowWar/ENG_SWARoster.pdf

New mission for 3+ players
>17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/40k8_SW_Armageddon_Grab_the_Cache.pdf

Here's my first couple dudes for my Inquisition kill team, the Inquisitor with Storm Shield, Power Maul and Storm Bolter, two Crusaders with Storm Shields and Power Mauls, and an Acolyte with Storm Bolter. I wanted them to look like he drew them from the Adeptus Arbites.

I just ordered some Kriegers so I can make the dankest Kill Team. Did I do well, /swag/?

Any tips for starting a Skitarii Kill Team?

Where are the rules for reallocating weapons around? I couldn't find it in the rule book.

Page 100.

Reposting.

Blackmarket miniatures has a 25 %discount on all 40k and fw minis until May 10th in celebration of the release of dawn of war 3.

How do I beat a scouts player with 9 dudes against my 15 orkz...it's the raid. And I don't know who's the defender. Any tips?

Is this late in a campaign since he's got so many dudes, or did he gimp them?

boyz > toyz
omnispecs on FF > photo visers
the alpha doesn't need more than a gun, melee is a trap

Its late but he played several rescue missions in a row to essentially get a legup over everyone else ( we do 1 mission per week at the local gw for each player). Totally cheap I know, so now he's up essentially 3 weeks. It will be miraculous if I can pull a victory from this

Then hire a couple of special operatives. That's my best bet. He needs to be knocked down a few notches.

>Blackmarket miniatures has a 25 %discount
What are they selling? Used minis? Recasts of old minis? Their catalog is unusual.

I decided to give the Inquisitor a plasma pistol and an instrument of imperial justice.

Is that metal inquisitor the only non space-marine in power armor model besides SoB?

Resin recasts of mostly metal stuff. Bit dangerous to use if you play in a GW because all you need is somebody to start fingerfucking your model at the wrong moment and they'll know.

Would this be a good game to get into tabletop?

I'd like to play something warhammerish but not to the extent of building a 502 feet table with elaborate landscapes. Just something casual but still rewarding and hardcore enough.

I think so? Certainly the only Inquisitor in power armor, the rest seem to be carapace at best. You could say that the Astra Militarum techpriest is in power armor as well.

You can get into this with a single box of troops most of the time (though for extra special weapons you might need a second box or to find some on ebay or something). The hard parts might be finding people to play with, and finding a proper board/table for it. It requires kind of a lot of terrain compared to even larger 40k games. I think it'd be a great place to start, since it incentivises building your models specific ways on purpose and painting them as well as you can

Am I stupid? I can't find an Inquisitor Kill Team. Is it in the pdf with all the others? Or somewhere else?

None of the ork spec ops can really hard counter him... especially if it's the raid mission.

You probably have an old version of the pdf. Just go to GW website and download it again

True but you can beef up your numbers slightly and thus have larger groups in the raid. Also the scout player is ahead, so he needs to be stopped.

So I'm looking at the "board games" section in the games workshop online store.
It has this as well as horus heresy and a few others.
Are they all only for 2 players?

Im a bit new to all of this.

Looks cool I had that same idea.

Yes!

Forgeworld has an Inquisitor in power armor model too. And the Inquisitor in the first triumvirate box is also in power armor.

The Assassinorum game can be played with anything from 1 to 4 or maybe 5 players, I think. Other than that, I think it's all 2 player, yeah.

This game can be played as standalone pick up fights or as a campaign. When played as a campaign it's nice to have a couple participants although they only play 1vs1 mostly (there is one scenario made for up to four players).

Another "I've never played SW:A, how's my list" post. I'm trying to make my minis as wysiwyg as I can and want opinions before I chop off their limps. Viable? Terrible? I also have 15 spare pts.

CSM 985pts

Aspiring Champion - 300 pts
Bolt Pistol & Plasma Pistol, MoK

Chaos Marine - 180 pts
Boltgun w/ Inferno Bolts, MoT

Chaos Marine - 155 pts
Boltgun, MoS

Chaos Gunner - 170 pts
Flamer, MoN

3x Cultists w/ Autoguns - 180 pts

>tfw my one tau guy with pistol instead of carbine got krumped by an ork boy
>rolled 6 on his Out of Action and got a new skill
>Gunslinger, he can make two pistol shots
Just as planned.

Should be fine, just hang back and shoot,
Don't do like I did and assume your dudes are melee badasses, EVERYTHING in this game fucks armor saves.

cultists are meat shields, put them up front so people can't shoot your marines.

lul

Alright then, cheers for the info.

Pretty new to the whole painting of it all, got my first killteam painted up Except for the leader since I can't afford the paints I need
Running them as a GSC team becuase I just happen to have a ton of DV cultists but no actual CSM. Feels good to have that shit out of the way

They look shiney for some reason.

I think that's from accidentally over-doing it with nuln oil, that's the only thing I can think. I don't even own a gloss

When you use GW washes make sure you shake them a LOT, otherwise the medium will separate.

Huh, I didn't realize. Thanks for the tip Duncan senpai

The board games are separate things from shadow war altogether.
Just read the rules from the OP and try to see which team looks the most interesting.
If you don't know which set of the ones sold by gw you need, just ask this thread. Stay away from their bundles though.
You can ignore the advanced rules section of the game as well as the different game modes and campaigns for the first few games and then expand after you're comfortable with the basic rules.

You also need clippers and some superglue or plastic glue for assembly of the models.

Also, if you want to get into shadow wars and don't want to invest to heavily into terrain, i'll dump an info pdf as well as some printable paper terrain - just print them out on the strongest/ehaviest paper you can get in your area, fold them and glue them together.

You can never have too many boxes in skirmish games.

This terrain is not really vertical, but toilet rolls, a piece of cardboard and ladders made out of toothpicks will make wonders

Oh, and of course you also need dice. What you also need though is something to measure in inches, which might be hard to come by depending on your countries, and the gw weapon tempaltes for flamers and explosives; though there are probably printable ones somewhere online

This is from another game called infinity, but oh well.

Thanks.
I just want something that is nice and interesting to play but will not completely take over my life like playing regular warhammer would.
I loved playing hero quest as a kid and want to replicate that feeling with something modern.

To expand on that. Painting stuff and assembling a miniature base is fine.
I dont mind the crafting, building and painting aspects.
I just want it to be "pocket sized", like something you can casually play at home on the table and then put back in the box, not something that needs a dedicated hobby room in the basement.
Sorry for shitting up your thread with this, but this looked like the right place to ask.

Would this be viable for SWA?

It is the right place to ask, so you are not shitting anything up. I for one welcome any new players into this hobby.
And yes, this is fairly bite sized, so it sounds perfect for your needs - then again, if you lie it, you might want to expand more into the genre with other games of similar size - infinity, malifaux, freeboters fate, etc. There's more than the massive armies of 40k out there.
And if you're into building try to build some walkways or something to connect buildings.

I think so, yeah. The article said he was using it for Necromunda, and SWA has basically the same rules. You might want some homebrew rules, and it might not be ideal for all missions, but it would probably be pretty cool to play on. You planning to build one, user?

>drones have to climb ladders

It'd be a nice one time gimmick for narrative play, but i can't see myself playing multiple times on this, not if there is modular terrain around as well as scatter terrain which offers more interesting tactical choices than this tower of terrain.

Go type in "necromunda terrain" and maybe look at the miniwargaming shadow wars battle reports on youtube to get a feel of how it should look like.

That article reminds me of something. How do you guys handle throwing grenades vertically (both high to low and low to high)? Realistically you could drop a grenade from as high as you want and it would land somewhere on the ground before exploding.

They can hover a certain height above ground, that doesn't necessarily implying full flying capabilities.

*expand more into the hobby with games of similar size

Yeah, having a tiny squad seems much more appealing than a giant army of miniatures.
I have time for hobbies, I just dont have ALL THE TIME for hobbies.

I feel like just doing straight distance is best. The high to low thing is interesting but seems like it could fuck with balance, I'd say if you dropped it outside of its range it would "explode harmlessly in midair" or something just to preserve the mechanic.
What I'm interested in is how templates take verticality into account.
>opponent hits my guy on platform with flamer
>template also covers other guy on ground 5" below platform
>says the flamer hits that guy too

It might be dumb to shill this in a Shadow Wars thread, but the other games have in my opinion more sensible starters. (pic related)
I just hope it isn't to confusing to someone new to the hobby to talk about multiple different games.

If in doubt though stick with GW games since they will have the most players/closest game stores. Speaking of which, you might want to check if there are some in your area and talk to the guys there. Games-workshop.com has a storefinder.

Having tried Shadow War I can say the rules and stats are a monumental pain in the ass to compute in realtime every single action, and half the time don't matter. I'd love to play a similar game that had flat values that were easy to memorize..

The aesthetics dont really appeal to me, but thanks.
But I kinda like the grim and dirty warhammer look that things have and the chunky low scifi and low fantasy settings.

honestly if you play the same list a couple times you'll have everything major on your end memorized.
it's a steep learning curve but once you're up there things flow pretty well

As many flashgitz as you can muster. either that or drown him in grots

>make a pretty decent game
>instantly shit all over it with a subpar setting and weeby aesthetics

Erm... no thanks.

Thank you for this. was thinking of it the other day but my ancient WD collection is 400odd miles away.

I'm getting some Mad Max 2 leathery vibes here.
But yes some parts are to glossy.

numalerines killteam when?

Man, new girlyman looks like shit.
Maybe he really is alpharius

>i want SIX Aquilas MINIMUM on my armor!

Anybody working on any custom campaigns for this? I got started on something but figured I would ask around, maybe do some idea exchanging.

So a decent Harlequin list would look something like this?

Troupe Master (Mono-Blade)
2x Virtuoso
2x Mime (Shuriken Pistol)

Aw c'mon user, tau aren't that bad!

Itty
Bitty
Waist

I was thinking of strait up stealing missions from infinity and converting victory points into promethium somehow.

Standard 40k threats templates and blasts as having an infinite height.

Pretty retarded, but that's what it is.

Yes, definitely. You can spend $25-$50 for all of the miniatures you'd need. You'd have to get paints and brushes and make your terrain (or buy the official games workshop stuff), but it's all much less than regular 40k since you only have 5 or 10 guys per side.

Find a local store that has a league that meets up and have fun. Super low financial commitment so if you don't like it no sweat, and you can start playing after an hour of gluing your dudes together if you want. Not to mention you can try out a new army if you want for super cheap.

That's my favorite part of skirmish games, and why I think SWA could make GW some decent money. My cost of entry is much lower, I can start a new army in less than 70USD. And in a few months if I want to start another one? About the same cost.

Also, something about the Armageddon plot point appeals to me. Probably because it was the big focus when I was getting into 40K. I even remember a big campaign like the EoT event they ran in 2003 or something.

Is there any rule about how many basic weapons, or just weapons in general, a model can carry?

My IG kill team is sitting pretty good and now I'm wondering if it'd be possible to have every guy packing a shotgun AND a lasgun just to cover my bases. Kind of running out of things to carry otherwise honestly

I don't think there's a limit in the rules. If you're playing strictly though, the model has to have the weapon on them, so there's a practical limit to that.
And if you have less than max guys, giving them two basic weapons would be pretty silly.

as many as you can physically represent on the model. the only weapon choice that is limited in number is max of 1 heavy weapon.

I actually had several IG with shotguns on their backs that I had converted into vets a while back, so it'll be pretty easy to represent both, thanks.

So everything called chapter tactics is completely out of the window with this game?

We are trying to grasp the strangely lacking rules we have. Jet packs no longer grant relentless? We lost chapter tactics?

We are having a very hard time trying to fully grasp the rules here.

chapter tactics are now the advance tables. Each chapter has a different version, much like how different IG regiments get different tables as well as ork clans.

Relentless isn't a rule in this.

Yes you lost chapter tactics.

You're not really playing 40K. You're pretty much playing 2nd Edition.

i don't know what i should be doing with an inquisition list

>BS4
Shooting.

I think they should be choppy. Crusaders having access to modifiable 3+ and power weapons make them pretty good in CC same goes with the Inquisitor. The rest of the gang is just there to be a meat shield and maybe a plasma pistol/krak for those pesky bugs.

>all troopers have access to combi weapons

This

Nice, got a list of the bitz used?

the combi weapons are inquisitor only

Except you have to roll everything, and and actually make a team you want, unless you get extremely lucky.

Want to make a Dark Angels kill team? Fuck you, you only get to feel like you are playing your faction if you picked space wolves, because we dropped all pretense of not being furry faggots

One of the witches can't have a mirror helm, but other than that, this is my wych cult list. It's not for campaign play, just matched. So what do people think?

>rules for reallocating weapons

Can you not just shuffle them at will between anyone that can use them?

It would seem odd if that were not the case.

only stipulation is that new recruits can't swap

Newly recruited members of your team has to make do with whatever you buy for them in their first fight. After that they can swap around with other members of the team who are also not newly recruited.

Is it worth buying grenades/pistols for Crusaders or should I leave them with the time-tested power sword/storm shield combo?

What part of reading page 100 are you struggling with? It's the bottom of the middle column, and it isn't complicated.

I don't have the book or download to hand, and I've yet to decide if I will be getting into SWAG, but based on prior knowledge of similar skirmish games it would seem odd that there would be a ruleset attached to shuffling equipment.
People often ask questions from a lack of knowledge, it isn't complicated.