Kingdom Death: Monster

I haven't seen Kingdom Death thread in what feels like an eternity. Maybe this won't turn into one either.

If does, I got this question that I haven't played even a single campaign yet, but I got Lion God and Sunstalker expansions, and I'm planning on getting the Lonely Tree to boot. How badly I messed up with the expansions?

Other urls found in this thread:

boardgamegeek.com/thread/1683147/new-kdm-everything-you-need-know-backingbuying-upd
i.imgur.com/HxdnPd2.jpg
mega.nz/#F!WpB0VJhB!KS3q6INY0vT8IPdtKc9aPQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bump

I unfortunately can't answer your questions, I've only played the base game via tabletop simulator
Though from what I've heard, Gorm is supposed to be a good one? Since it's another lowlevel thing that isn't White Lion. And Sunstalker and Dragon King have variant campaigns in them.

Gorm is visually very appealing to me, but the availability is terrible. Maybe after the hustle with 1.5 calms down a little bit some Gorms come to web store and then it will be my time to get the babby-o.

just get rid of the gorm climate it a shitter

Sunstalker is very good for gameplay but Lion God and Lonely Tree are very situational and you may not get as much use out of them.

>Gorm is visually very appealing to me
Even on grounds of Veeky Forums, I find this proclamation somewhat concerning.

Can any anons actually tell me how it plays?
From a review it seems to be pretty damn random and punishing, which is a shame, because I'm real into building up a little human community in this bleak world.
If you get far enough, does tech increase?
What's the best Tabletop Simulator implementation? I got one that has some automation

With proper care your Settlement will really flourish. It takes couple bad decisions or series of extremely unlucky rolls/draws to push you into hopeless end. But individual Survivors are very much expendable, don't get attached.

Interesting, thank you.
Spoil it a bit for me, though, how far does the tech level increase?
It looks like a settlement is made of up like 6 different cards/functions to start with, and presumably builds up from there.
But really, you start with building shit from fur and bone and lion dongs, and end with what? Steel and salvaged arms and magical energies from the suits of armor or whatever?

Hello, fellow survivors ! What the hell happened to the general, I've been searching it for days ! I had something to deliver.

I've been playing Achromatic and it's been fun.
Big thing is to not get too attached to any specific survivor. Having a big badass is cool, yeah, but then you get Murder and they're gone.
As for 'tech increasing' that depends on what you mean. You can build up techs constantly, yeah, but you're not going to ever go away from making swords and axes out of monster parts. You'll be making fancier, better ones, of course, but you won't be making guns or anything.

Another question is how solo'ble is this?
Again, I would be doing this on TTS, as it would take winning the lottery for me to consider buying it (because I would want everything, really like the dark fantasy design, including all the tiddy)
How much bookkeeping would be required, and what's the minimum amount of characters feasible if it's just me?

In terms of technology you're not getting much beyond iron smelting, most inventions are in terms of society and settlement organization. Though game doesn't let that hold the designs back and you're basically going full Monster Hunter in terms of available gear.

Geez, user, you can see her lanterns and everything!

So I saw there were cards for like langauge and other aspects of culture, how well then does the game model this stuff re:gameplay/settlement stuff, and also
Why?
It's a really neat meta concept, of these hunts of more fantastic and horrific monsters to improve your little humans lives, but it seems like such a colossal effort to grok.
I saw it's rated at like 4.5/5 complexity on BGG, around Advanced Squad Leader's, and most of the stuff I like is around 3.5/5 like arkham horror and Twilight Struggle

>I like ... arkham horror

Well, I like the overall idea of arkham horror. On paper.
In practice, not so much.
Just an example of that complexity rating.
More recently in that vein is Seafall and Gloomhaven

Can someone help me out, I found out about this game a week or two ago and can't find a copy of it anywhere. Does anyone know where to get their hand on the rules and stuff at least

Not this user, but I would like to piggyback and ask
1)Can anyone provide a concise explanation of how to get the most of KD:M, now that the second kickstarter is over. Were there any kickstarter exclusives? Bottomline it for me, how much do I have to spend to get everything?
2)If I want to play it on TTS, what do I need?
Just the rulebook? Maybe also any sort of player aid on BGG?

some or all of this might be explained here: boardgamegeek.com/thread/1683147/new-kdm-everything-you-need-know-backingbuying-upd

The first user here, so the end of that post was just wait a year or two and it'll go back on sale from their website, albeit at an inflated price. Kinda sucks but hey at least I'll be able to get it eventually

yeah, unfortuantely that seems to be the only way right now to get a physical copy.
I suppose the silver lining is that once it's able to be purchased again, I'll actually have the money.

For anyone that has it, how full is the base game?
A settlement lasts like 20-30 years?
Does the standard monster selection feel repetitive over all that?

To add to that:
For anyone that backed the 1.5/second kickstarter
do you guys have your core copies yet?
Has poots given any indication when we can expect core in stock?

also >2)If I want to play it on TTS, what do I need?
this

You will need
Tabletop Simulator
The mod of your choice for playing KDM
(preferably) the core rulebook

ok cool user, thanks for making it simple
are there any preferred mods for TTS?
sorry if that's against the wishes of the dev

I heard the rulebook has a pretty good tutorial for the basics
Hopefully Ill be fine

I'm the user from and i was wondering if the Pathfinder crossover was gonna go on sale at a later date from or if it was a kickstarter exclusive.
Also wondering if I'll be able to purchase the gamblers chest separately too.

Fuck I'm the user from not

I've been using the Achromatic mod (as I said earlier) and it's been working well, don't know about the other ones.
The tutorial in the rulebook is not only good for basics but is also part of the actual game.(it's a 'here's how things start, there's also a nerfed White Lion here' thing)

This game is so cool that you literally aren't even allowed to buy it, sorry

okay, I will check that out
thanks for the help, you and everyone

>theses tits
>theses hips
Holy fuck, my dick

I just want to know when its gonna be back up for sale, i can wait and save up some extra cash for the expansions which is cool cuz I'm gonna get more stuff to play the game with, but the complete lack of info on when it goes back up and whether or not some stuff included with the Kickstarter is gonna be available kinda bothers me

I feel ya
Also >those thighs

I feel like the only one who doesn't like how huegege the thighs/butts of the women in this game are.

I'm all for nude lewd women okay, just not as obscene as the monsters we're facing in this grimdark world.

As long as I'm having fun it doesn't really bother me much, but some things can go a little too overboard

HAHAHHAA FINALLY

Well are you going to post the unedited version on /aco/ or /trash/?

i.imgur.com/HxdnPd2.jpg
I was waiting to see if someone cared.

Is the Spear weapon specialization terrible compared to all the others or is it just me?

There are amazing modds just gotta find the right one

Is there a decent Tabletop Simulator module for this yet?

Scripted v2, when it isn't being janky about hunt or showdown phase does most of the setup and card dealing for you.

I've heard that the Gorm is a good starter... but not much good about the tree. I ordered the Frogdog because... praise Kek!

Lion God is bad but hopefully the Silver City expansion will fix that, Tree is a nice fight but brings very little to a campaign, Sunstalker is good though.

Sunstalker is best expansion. The others....you done goofed.

Don't worry user, we have something for your kind as well!

Getting rid of traps is awesome.

Spear spec plus blue charm is one of the late game builds I shoot for every campaign.

I don't trust a 7+ I guess.

So what expansions are actually out and in peoples hands, and which ones from the kickstarters aren't?

Also, I remember seeing (in threads from the beginning of this year when the 2nd kickstarter was running) that Poots had some very anime styled concept artist working with him on some models, that looked way THICKer than what I see on the website. Like, pochaco broad thick ass sort of thick. Are those yet to be out?

Finally, is the 1.5 out and if/if not, what do you guys expect retail price of it to be?

Well, none of it is really out yet from the second kickstarter. Only stuff from the first edition is what people have in hand.

The antlers are cute and all but the six pack sorta thing going on there is a bit excessive.

That's the problem I have, when things go to Slaaneshi excess.

Oh.

The one upside to being a human in the world of Kingdom Death is that everyone is pretty because that's the fetish of the thing that created them

Tell me about scythes. I want to build edgelord larp props out of dragon parts.

They harvest wheat good

anyone got a pdf of the rules? Or is that rare enough that it hasn't been done before
anime lady for your troubles

There's a fuck ton of book keeping and rule refreshing, but it is doable.

With the Scripted KDM TTS mods most of the setup can be done for you. Also you want all 4 characters, but you can still have them solo. The game is actually pretty solo friendly.

Yeah, had actually checked out the achromatic scripted mod this afternoon to see what it was like, and it's just an insane level of work
i heartly thank all those involved in its bits because this means I can access so much more.
Actually have been playing the first story tonight.
Just got to the first settlement.

mega.nz/#F!WpB0VJhB!KS3q6INY0vT8IPdtKc9aPQ literally everything.. my advise is to not read the story stuff and just look at the rules and some of the hunt events if your interested in getting it yourself

Try not spoiling yourself by looking stuff up in advance and just using the base game's monsters first.
Learn by doing. You'll die a bunch but that happens. You'll know better next time.
Don't get too attached to any particular survivor. If they die, shit happens, such is the way of Kingdom Death.
Maybe you'll do good! Maybe you won't. Maybe you'll have some hilarious set of things happen.

thanks for the mega link
believe me, I wont spoil myself. after being intrigued at the general idea of the game, but then scared off by the mass of stuff and bookkeeping, it's the lore and atmosphere that made me push through and try the TTS.
Our first year we innovated well and felt the hope of an inner lantern in our bosoms. Now we have the opportunity of more actions!

Holy shit, we just found a cache of founding stones!
They were off of a bunch of dead survivors, and we're all a little less insane now, but hey, free wounds, right?

You mean free resources/persistent injuries.
Just remember - if there's no Critical Hit note on a hit location, you can't score a critical hit there.

Anyone in the greater Sacramento area want to play?

My problem is that I want to paint and base everything and keep it lore friendly - but I don't want to ruin my experience by reading on the lore in advance. Anyone thought up a solution for this issue?
I could play with the minis unpainted and then paint them eventually, but that will make painting harder for some of them.

Just assume everything is a KS exclusive, as it might as well be. If it does hit the webstore it will be sold out nearly instantly.

Well what can I say. I have a thing for bulbous eyes, a lantern fish, baby dolls and anal gateways. But before you judge me, let me say that not ALL _things_ are supposed to increase blood flow to certain tissues that stiffen various parts of more (or sometimes less) aroused human bodies.

What a shame, but I bought it because it was the cheapest... What's the 'bad' about it? As far as I've read, it's mostly because it triggers so late in the game that most often you might as well not own the Lion God at all.

No AI & Hit location cards for expansion monsters, though. Haven't seen them anywhere either.

What you said as well as the Lion God giving very meager rewards for a really hard and not even particularly fun fight, he feels more like an end boss than a quarry, which is what the Silver City expansion should make him.

Yes, user, that is what I meant.
This game lends itself to an emergent narrative with all the events, so excuse me for writing it that way.
Don't you bring down my founding stone fun.

I pity the fool that tries to Founding Stone only to draw an impervious location or Trap Like I do every fucking time

Does Trap really work when you founding stone?
At least for the white lion, it says something about being next to the attacker, but when you can huck the stone from anywhere, that doesn't really make narrative sense.
Am I supposed to believe that I hail mary this shard across the arena, the lion snaps around, and is like "nope, you fell for my ruse! I dodged that sucker."

Well other things have other Traps, but also it means you don't wound the location because there is nothing to wound.

Any news regarding the KS?

Make the starting survivors and the white lion only at first. White Lion is easy to paint, it's the first encounter, it's a lion that is white but has human hands, which is noted the very first thing you hit.
For the rest of the stuff, wait until you can hunt it and thus NEED the miniature to paint it - you won't have to worry about being spoiled if you wait until you've seen what it's like to paint it. And only make one each of the armor set, one male and one female - do a fullset of each, then use the rest of the parts to do mixed sets based on stuff that comes up.
Alternately, you could ask people about colors and stuff, since that's not major spoilers.

Pretty much.

>spoiler
Struck me as weird since that means you could always have someone with +1 Strength

Fuck man I wish. I was so excited for an update since they stopped taking orders over a month ago, and nothing. Hopefully we will get an update sooner rather than later, and hopefully its some good news too.

tutorial fight, also you waste your survival getting it

I don't have it either, I just like to pretend

>Have all the holiday and limited time exclusives
>Missed the Easter one
FUCK

I don't suppose anyone has the KD rules on a pdf or imgur album or something?

Why exactly is Lion God bad?

I mean, I bought Dragon King and am waiting on that damn shipping sometime in next year, but if they reopen the PM I might consider

Are Bones and Hides harder to get than organs or something?
Been trying not to spoil things, but it's been getting ridiculous when three real hunts in, we're sitting on a pile of organs but are getting shit-all for anything else.
Even the few crits we've gotten have just given us more fucking organs

Depends on what you're hunting -- I know that Lion has more hide resources in its deck than the others, and Antelope has more bone. Think the Gorm has the most organs of the three possible "initial" quarries.

Three lions (including the tutorial), then a single Antelope. No expansions, just the core stuff.

You are just really unlucky

HE'S JUST A POOR BOY FROM A POOR FAMILY

Lion God is an absolutely fuckhard fight that unlocks really late compared to most quarry, and the rewards you get for doing so are generally considered not worth it, even if the lore is super sweet.

There is a new expansion, Silver City, that combos with Lion God for an alternate campaign that involves replacing some quarry hunts with straight up dungeon delving against new mini-monsters. It is suspected that this will bring up the quality of lion god a lot, but since we don't have have Silver City yet there is always the chance it sucks.

Apparently.

So, what new People Of... campaigns are confirmed for the future? I know about People of the Mountain, but I feel like I read about another one that'll be coming out with the next wave.

Alright lads, I might be asking you to be spoiling me on some things here, but how should I have prepared for the the butcher?

As it happened, if I didn't fudge a bunch of stuff in the last round, I would've gotten a total tpk, wiping out the most experienced survivors and setting me back a fair bit.
I've got a good amount of equipment, but with the guys bleeding everywhere Was I right in thinking the ability that adds bleed to his attack profile stacks with the other bleeds? it seems like the only way to have prevented that was to go ranged any time I could.

Yes, I'm prepared to not get to attached to the survivors , but with so many things just outright killing them with a roll of the die, I'm looking at the rest of the campaign and wondering if the game ending kind of failure in this system is just a slow burn.

Do I decrement the Population count whenever a survivor dies, or only when I'm told to?
Had I lost to the nemesis I would've be going out on this next hunt with only two dudes.

What are some general, intermediate level tips or strategy to keep in mind?

People of the Nest (Gryphon expansion)

Inverted Mountain campaign (full campaign)

Abyssal Woods (Bloom People++)

Some mini-campaigns in Black Knight and Red Witches+Pariah

Campaigns of Death has 3 alternate campaign timelines with unique story events, and a mini for something called the Ancient Butcher. Presumably one of those is themed around Ancient Butcher, but the other 2 are completely unknown. I would have assumed at one point that a People of the Silver City campaign would be one of them, but Silver City is already an expansion for expansions, so I doubt they will double up on that concept.

The Butcher himself is really fucking scary, but he is doable if you focus on building a stash of resources fast and getting your dudes geared up. Get someone a full set of Rawhide, if you can, and grease 'em up real good -- they won't be able to "tank," per se, but if they can survive even after Infectious Lunacy trips, that's a very good thing. Past that, make sure that everyone has at least a little armor, even if that's just a headband so they don't immediately die from getting whacked in the head.

As for weapons, things like the King Spear and Catgut Bow are quite nice for dodging some of the more unpleasant hit locations. My buddy swears by Katars -- frenzied, you're rolling PREPOSTEROUS amounts of dice and will probably connect on two or three locations -- and if the Butcher's various reactions weren't so dangerous, I'd be inclined to agree with them.

Bandages only cost a hide, remove 2 bleeding for an activation, and have a green affinity that can help complete Monster Grease's +evasion affinity. Bandages are your friend. Learn to love bandages.

It doesn't stack with itself IIRC, because it's the same ability, so you only use the highest rated version.
Also, if you only have six guys, why aren't you making more?
BREED. BREED LIKE RABBITS.
And survivor death and population loss are the same thing. -population means people died. Survivors dying to monsters means you've got that many less people in the settlement.

This brings up another question that I had, actually -- do things like Dreaded Trophies and damage tokens affect brain damage profiles?

I see now. I had overlooked bandages at the time.
also lol the idea of covering someone in rawhide and greasing them up
>And survivor death and population loss are the same thing. -population means people died
fuck this game then
Even mad geared up, I'm supposed to survive against a lion with two guys?
What, should I be blowing love potion organ things every time I get them to make sure people fuck?

Like I just got the murder event, which would've taken out both my coolest and best equiped dude(she got the butcher's cleaver), am I just supposed to take it?
This game is starting to seem like an exemplar of the sunk cost fallacy.

How much is it really a set back to have someone with a few permant points and a weapon art and proficincy die?

Like I could let this settlement peter out, and start over again with what I know now, but I'm not sure it's worth it.
I really want to like this game, I love the atmosphere and the way it can create narratives out of random events like these, but it just seems way too swingy to be worth persisting.

How do you get down to 2 people?

You only have two people TOTAL left? That's a lot of dead dudes in four lantern years.

This is going to sound like a stupid, insulting question, but are you counting population as survivors? Technically speaking, every single person in your settlement has a character sheet and can hunt if you so choose.

Also, losing high-XP people is just a fact of life. Pick up someone else, shove 'em into the next hunting party, and hail them as the next sword/bow/axe/katar-master.

Also, yes, you should be using Love Juices whenever you can, unless you need to use them as organs for innovation or whatever. It's always worth it to have one more body to throw at a problem.