Are child characters the most annoying shit ever?

Are child characters the most annoying shit ever?
Are child PCs even worse?

Post art of these dumb abominations
Stupid narrative potential

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9jTpYaobtTw
youtube.com/watch?v=ixJ2rtOpJc4
youtube.com/watch?v=Nd539p1DCTk
youtube.com/watch?v=4D2QrT7yYYE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_use_of_children#Logic_of_using_children_militarily
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

did a child molest you when you were a kid or something

I like being a child PC.

Because people always understimate me, giving me a chance to caste Fireball or Dominate.

>thinly veiled character art thread

It's called sarcasm, anons. Please

>tfw you will never be a necrodad

Real story:
>be little kid PC sorcerer
>enter inside a magical store
>merchant ignores me and keeps working
>cast dominate
>take all expensive itens and magical artefacts
>tell merchant to go running to the north until he cannot anymore and ignore everyone who tries to stop him
>leave city with itens in thousands of gp
>get a very salty DM

Good times.

Let's not sully the thread, user.

Kid characters can work if the player or DM don't shit it up. I've taken a "Tanya the Evil" route myself before that survived an eight month campaign without complaint. He was an aging wizard that decided he needed a new body, and saw opportunity in choosing to be a little girl. It's a less conspicuous form, and his skills didn't rely on physical force anyway. By claiming to be his own daughter and getting in good by using the titles he earned with royalty in his previous body, the new form allowed him all the resources of a rising family name and released him of all the burdens of age. Clerics work well when younger as well, because they come off as innocent and entirely faithful to their beliefs.

As a DM, kid characters have to be treated a bit differently. If they're with the party all the time, they can work as an impressionable set of eyes that can tone down the murderhobo habits of the team. As an enemy force, such as the kid of the BBEG, it can force a compromise between the team. "This hid did nothing wrong, but they hate us now for killing their parent and will have influence enough to raise a force against us." That sort of thing. You could go with the neutral obligatory town orphans too, or even run some Oliver Twist type scamps about to cause minor problems.

Maybe you're just not being creative enough OP.

Give her knife ears and maker her a boy and that was pretty much my first character in '98.

I'm quite a fan of darker systems like WHFRP, the 40k RPGs and Apocalypse World, so I personally don't get many opportunities to DM or play as child characters for obvious reasons. Doubt many people would be that comfortable with some poor kid getting gutted by a hive ganger over a few scraps of bread.

Also, they just seem sort of impractical for a lot of settings unless they're a caster or something. A child is well, a fucking child. Naive children heading out for the adventuring life just seems daft, not even taking into account the fact they're going to be far weaker than an ordinary human. Also thinly veiled lolifag players can die in a fucking hole.

H-hot

Please do not take these items.

>hey guys im playing a loli mage :^)

> Not giving your orphans explosives so that they can suicide bomb the xenos or the heretic for The Emperor
It's like you don't even want to bring glory to mankind.

A little kid is weaker, true, but a little kid with a gun is still dangerous.

Also they are weaker than adults but their small size makes them harder to hit. In a world were evading is more important than tanking, a kid who is fast and sneaky (such as a pickpocket) has a good advantage.

If you want to, you could roleplay as the child of a Imperium Guard who lived in a colony attacked by Orks.

A Lasgun shouldn't be heavier than a AK-47, so you could be able to wield it. Pick it (or a laser pistol) and blast Orks to hell. That would justify being a children PC in Warhammer. There could be something critical in your homeplanet, so you would be forced to join the main party in their quest, whatever it is. Part of the fun too would be to prove to the Comissar your worth, such as undertaking dangerous missions that only a child (such as walking through cramped places) could take.

honestly your average 10 year old can barely use a gun, never mind fire it accurately or not break the fuck down under fire. child soldiers are used essentially as human shields that people are going to not shoot at.

issue there is, if you want to represent a kid accurately they'd get torn apart by anything less than an unarmed gretchin. even your average adept would be more capable. not like orks have any qualms about beating the shit out of "wee umies" either.

>honestly your average 10 year old can barely use a gun, never mind fire it accurately or not break the fuck down under fire.
That's not true. A 10 year old can learn to use an ak. And with training hit targets too.
youtube.com/watch?v=9jTpYaobtTw

>child soldiers are used essentially as human shields that people are going to not shoot at.
That's true, but because it's actually easier to use them as that.

>issue there is, if you want to represent a kid accurately they'd get torn apart by anything less than an unarmed gretchin.
Imperial guard soldiers also die in droves. This is because they are normal humans, not space marines fighting burly barbarians. The fact that he would be a PC already shows he is not ordinary.

> even your average adept would be more capable. not like orks have any qualms about beating the shit out of "wee umies" either.
Capability is more defined by how you use your stats than actually what they are. Even in DnD with a -2 malus you can compensate by using your smaller frame and your nonthreatening appearance as an advantage.

There's actually a really cool short story about a kid surviving through an Ork Occupation of his city. Ducking through vents, constantly changing his sleeping spots, masking his scent with Ork Shit. I'd say that while almost every other child would be roasting over the fire for some Greenskins to eat, you could have a child PC be an exception to the rules.

That sounds cool.

Also maybe not a Lasgun since I don't know how much it weights. But there are for example children who are competitive shooters. So yes, they can use guns:

youtube.com/watch?v=ixJ2rtOpJc4

youtube.com/watch?v=Nd539p1DCTk

Fun comment:

>His hand never passed the end of the barrel while racking the slide he kept his finger off the trigger while racking the slide and moving. He managed the recoil very well. The guy behind him was not just timing him but was responsible for range safety so it's not like he was alone out there and had he broken any safety rules he would have been stopped then and there. He used the slide release properly. He kept the barrel down while moving. he even used the safety properly because you can see him thumb it off before his first shot. He also didn't rush his shots. All in all he handled him self better than a lot of adults would.

What kind of fucked up world do we live in where kids take firearm safety and training more seriously than adults???

if you get a kid at the right age they'll actually listen to instructions. Crazy, I know.

>literally every player who plays child characters ever.

Those are usually /k/ kids. Since their parents are good with firearms they teach their little ones well.

They are not like the attention whores (male or female) who go 'look i'm firin a gun!' and then hit themselves with recoil.

youtube.com/watch?v=4D2QrT7yYYE

>Are child characters the most annoying shit ever?
>Are child PCs even worse?

just kill them. is dm says you cant accuse him of railroading and tell him to fuck off. i kill anything that shits up a game that im gracing others with me being in it. the least they can do is not make it shit.

>I read only half of the OP

shut up fag boi, i read it all. i think ur the one who didnt no brains.

Any soldier will tell you that hitting training targets is nothing like being in an actual firefight, never mind once against six and a half foot tall, five hundred pound green gorilla men swinging around chainsaws. And honestly even the most exceptional kid is only going to have a strength/toughness of 20 at best, as well as average agility and godawful willpower. And as for nonthreatening, to use the ork example, they don't exactly differentiate between noncombatants and soldiers. Same with, well, everyone barring rebel humans, tau and eldar. Also, note I said average. Even a kid from Cadia knows to run like hell if a chaos spawn goes running after em, and I'd put them above even the most capable kid on Earth.

Now this is an example of a young PC done right. Then again, in your average campaign combat is gonna be inevitable at a few points no matter how cunning you are. While I doubt any but the most moronic person would try and play a combat oriented child, never mind a melee one, if you have to basically sit out ever combat encounter or at best plink away with a handgun from behind cover it's not gonna be much fun for that player, yknow? That's not even getting into personal stuff about people being uncomfortable little joan the manufactorum overseer's kid getting his arm blown off by a grenade or an underage conscript being turned into chunks of bloody gristle by a combat servitor. That's not getting into the worst stuff you could pull out, like basically anything from Black Crusade or roving packs of looter/slaver/would-be rapist gangs.

whats ur problem brainlet? someone has a different opinion so you sperg out? i hope you get fucking raped.

>Play a kid character for once
>The female players continually try to /ss/ him

fugg

>that guy who got bored with his character and showed up next week with a 13 year old chaotic evil female necromancer and 20HD of permanent summons at level 4
I wasn't opposed to the idea at first but I'm never letting a child character in again.
Although it did give us a gem of a moment where another PC got sick of his shit and attempted to PvP him, causing that guy to immediately spend 15 minutes arguing about how he should be able to retcon in having more skeletons than was established sessions ago because he was being attacked.

I should point that I'm not saying they are more effective than soldiers, just that an excepcionally child can be better than an average soldier.

>Any soldier will tell you that hitting training targets is nothing like being in an actual firefight, never mind once against six and a half foot tall, five hundred pound green gorilla men swinging around chainsaws.
Wouldn't that make them big targets however? Second, Imperial Guards are usually sheltered when they fight. Third, I must point that in Warhammer the average soldier has terrible accuracy. It's almost on memetic status.

>And honestly even the most exceptional kid is only going to have a strength/toughness of 20 at best, as well as average agility and godawful willpower.
Stats are not everything. And they do have advantages as I said their smaller frame and less attentive appearance.

Also:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_use_of_children#Logic_of_using_children_militarily
>In addition, some accounts from leaders of armed groups, claim that children are as effective recruits as adults citing their apparent bravery, agility and stamina.

>And as for nonthreatening, to use the ork example, they don't exactly differentiate between noncombatants and soldiers.
I didn't mean in the sense 'oh poor thing', I meant on the sense 'what I'm going to see first, the smaller kid on a hole on the ground or the huge space marine charging at me?'

>Even a kid from Cadia knows to run like hell if a chaos spawn goes running after em, and I'd put them above even the most capable kid on Earth.
Since there is no clear fluff through, it's hard to say how much could a PC children accomplish. However, it's important to consider that even men run when daemons appear (except if there is a Comissar for 'encouraging').

>Then again, in your average campaign combat is gonna be inevitable at a few points no matter how cunning you are. While I doubt any but the most moronic person would try and play a combat oriented child, never mind a melee one, if you have to basically sit out ever combat encounter or at best plink away with a handgun from behind cover it's not gonna be much fun for that player, yknow?
Those handguns can blow up entire limbs you know? I wouldn't mind being behind cover exploding Ork's heads.

The main problem I see is the matter of weight. Depending on weight I could even use a Plasma or Inferno Pistol.

As for combat you just need to pump accuracy, cover and dodge. If DM is fair you will get the typical bonus to evade and cover for being small, pump it up and you will be pretty handy.

>Now this is an example of a young PC done right.

For the record, if I recall correctly, this is the backstory for Sebastian Yarrick. It includes him being trained by his retired Guardsman Grandfather to not be a sissy little bitch. There's a single combat scene I can recall involving him taking down a Gretchin, but it's actually pretty badass.

What will you guys think about an all child setting like in pic related?

Soudns fine to me. Consider Catacomb Kids.

Children tend to be far more rules oriented than adults. Unless they've been taught that they can get what they want despite, or even by, breaking the rules. Kids are very action-> consequence oriented. In this case, the kid would probably understand that if they follow the rules laid out for them they get to fire a gun (awefun!) and if they don't follow the rules they get the fun taken away, might get hurt, and probably scolded. Understanding why the rules protect them may or may not follow.

If i don't like the thing the other player is doing I'll interrupt flow of the game to initiate pvp to attempt murdering their character
>if i get called out I'll just deflect it back in to the gm.

Yeah, you know I think I'd rather have a child playing at my table than you.

Setting seems pretty good.

I've been teaching my son gun safety since he was 2-ish. He won't even point his Nerf guns at anyone at this point (unless they have a Nerf gun as well)

Well, back in the day, kids would rape each other on almost daily basis. Because you know, neither of them could legally consent.
That's not to say I was participating in that myself.
Not saying that I wasn't.

have you read it?

I love children! *wink wink*

>Do you know someone with children?
>Do you hate that person?

>play young adult wild magic sorceress
>secretly hope she gets the surge that makes her younger, turning her into a cute loli

Guys wait...
What about child with...
Guys are you listening...
A child...
Wait! Here's the good part...
A child, but he has the badassery of Doom guy?

Forgot to put user's quote above here you go

I have played a kid one time before.
>5e
>One shot with a couple friends, pick sorcerer and go wild magic. Try to act "adult" all the time and play things cool.
>DM makes me roll on table almost every spell freak out every time something unexpected happens.
>Last fight vs vampire, almost all team down, only me and paladin left.
>Paladin pulls out magic holy grenade that was to be used as a last ditch effort.
>Hands it to me and charges forward to distract him.
> I cast misty step behind him and plan to alluh akbar him.
>DM asks me to roll on table
>Turn into potted plant.
>Entire crypt explodes
> Only survivor
He was a half elf so i roleplayed that he went and became a paladin himself and taught other orphans how to not be lil shits. Goods times

I still need to play a child character with 18 strength.

I like the idea of a genuinely caring demon watching over a child.

He's already got their soul, he doesn't have to be a dick to them. Maybe he got a bit of a soft spot for them, watching them grow up.

I once took Leadership when I hit level 7 in a Pathfinder campaign.
As most of my followers could only take NPC levels anyway, I made a few of them be kids, using the Pathfinder. It was the best decision I could've made.
>See teamwork feat that lets 2 small or medium creatures fire a large crossbow or firearm with no penalty.
>organize kids into fireteams, each with a Large musket or Heavy Crossbow.
>crank stealth with the +4 from being small
>build Dex.
>I have an army of guerilla child soldiers

I once made a strippling haint for WtC WWII Spain setting.

>Used traps, exploration and pacts with plasmids to protect and guide the party while eating as much of the enemies as I could.
>Torture, ritual bleeding, burn in barrowfire, death by rock prefered methods of execution.
>Players amazed that a little tame spectre is saving their posterior time after time.
>Mostly staring in horror at my shit not knowing that I based my character in real post war bands of children and teenagers.
>A few of them actually got nightmares about small humans.

There you have it, it's more about how you play a character than what the character seems to be.

>your average 10 year old can barely use a gun, never mind fire it accurately

as an amerifag i can conclusively say that most 7 year olds around here shoot straight. In fact i'd say if they ain't chewing dip there puttin a bullet in something. dear god i love the south.

Meanwhile, their parents are swiping EBT cards for carts full of soda, candy, chips, Hostess, and Little Debbie. And when the flash what's left of their teeth in a smile, those remaining are usually blackened by years of crack.

Keep your South and keep to it.

>keep your South
>describing northern niggers

That's a slave, user.

It can work well. You just need a gm and players who are 'mature'. Currently I am actually playing a child character among adults or rather I am a early teen orphan.

As long as you do not fetishize the character and play them like a child with innocence and naivety but, also have that fun caring nature. It will work out fine, As long as the character is believable.

And it is working out so far. Currently we are playing within a Asian fantasy setting which is currently at war. 'not china and not japan are basically hamming it up' And the party is just a bunch of wandering misfits who are just trying not to get caught in the worlds mess.

I think generally the issue is less with the idea of a child character and more with how both players and GM are likely to handle the matter, and how the character would integrate into an assorted party.

oh lord :3

It's vidya not ttrpg but I like that in Dragon's Dogma you could play as a child and the effects were that you could clamber around on large enemies more nimbly than an adult character and had a smaller hitbox but were also knocked or blown around more easily, had less stamina and less weapon reach and couldn't pin foes down well if you were a fighter class. Likewise a child companion had those advantages and disadvantages and would also be easier to carry around and throw at things, if, you know, you're a terrible person.

Funnily enough, though "age" had no effect on "intellect" or casting ability, child mages were far from optimal- since physical prowess didn't matter much a really tall fat mage was the metagamey choice for stability so you couldn't be knocked out of spells during casting. Child rogues were busted though.

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2 yesterday and Baby Groot is the best execution of a child character I've seen in a long while.

What if I didn't like normal Groot in the first place?
The joke kinda got old for me.

>Are child characters the most annoying shit ever?
>Are child PCs even worse?
Just because the society all but brainwashed you to underestimate children and you get cognitive dissonance when something happens that clashes with that particular notion - that doesn't mean that children can't be dangerous, competent, brutal, exploitative, merciless or all of the above.
All of this is even more compounded by the fact that children appear illogical and whimsical. Every single fucking child is literally a Joker-tier villain that is constrained solely by the existence of the society and custody in particular.
You let children run wild - you get Lord of the Flies and Battle Royale. Children must be controlled, despite whatever some retards might say.

Pretty much Newt in Aliens, really.

Only possibly with a gun, because grimmer and darker. Yes, grimmer and darker than the aliens universe.

>child PCs
I liked A Series of Unfortunate Events book series. That was pretty tight shit for what amounts to a Western LN.
>tfw googled it and just found out it got a TV series
HOLY FUCKING SHIT. I really hope it's good (it probably won't be, judging from the cast, though).

>ITT: Veeky Forums never watched The Goonies

Y'all should sue your parents. Children are perfect for adventure stories.

It's actually quite good

You'd be surprised. One of the main... 'upsides' of child soldiers is that they have yet to learn concepts like death and that genuinely harming other human beings is wrong. Not on a fundamental level, anyway.

Blessed is the mind too small for doubt, after all.

>ITT: Veeky Forums cannot into sarcasm

Anybody know what happened to the animorphs system anons were trying to make last year?

It's pretty good surprisingly, Neil Patrick Harris isn't anywhere near as grating as I thought he'd be and in general it's done very well. It's at least better than the abortion that was the Jim Carrey movie.

>a seemingly normal cute shota/loli who is charming, endearing, and generally a great daughteru/sonfu, but has a troublingly large dormant capacity for violence

Fund it

For the emperor!

So I wanted to try and hard rp the character they give you in Fallout 4 and decided it'd be neat to dl the child raiders mod to add some creepy realism. They didn't show up very often and for the first trek to Diamond City my guy was child murder free but as I leveled up I kept running into higher level kids with fucking machines guns and I murdered the lot of them. None survived my onslaught and they proved a challange for a moment as I struggled to let my normal dude murder kids in mass.

By the time I found out my kid was the big bad I no longer cared about saving him, if there was ever a man who could have cared for that child he died in that subway standing above the corpes of a dozen children.

bump

Speaking from experience rp'ing on MMOs, most child characters are pricks who act like little shits and know fine well that if you call them out on acting like little shits, then you're the prick for being so mean to such a precious angel.

With actual good and sensible people, child characters can work. Just need to remember that their perspectives and morals are drastically different from an adults and of course adults will treat them differently in turn.

I often use children in CoC. My players usually enjoy it

I blame the studio, not the actors.

>read CoC
>think Corruption of Champions
>it cannot be
>search
>feels silly

>You will never become an 8 titted abomination with a dick the size of a car and enough anal circumference to swallow the sun.
Whats the point of it all user? just to suffer?

SOUE was pretty dope yeah. I had a friend a few years back that got the burning house as a tattoo, which while I think tattoos that aren't for identification are pretty dumb especially when you get them young at least looked neat.

Never knew about the tv series either, just the terrible film.

This happens to me at least once a day on Veeky Forums. It's like sleeping erases my memory of Call of Cthulhu.