Horus Heresy General /hhg/

Giantdad Bass Canon edition
You Show Me Yours, I'll Show You Mine edition

An Ordinatus with beats get Vetock to talk, we showed each other our collections, and the backgrounds continued to pour in. We pondered boring IW schemes and unchaotic traitors, analyzed a bunch of Pride of the Legion lists, and were regaled with tales of poor rolls for the sons of Dorn at Operation Molten Storm. All this and more in the last thread

>THE PASTEBIN WHENCE TO BEGIN
pastebin.com/iUqNrrA8

>Official HH 7th Edition Errata (not updated since January 2016)
forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_7th_Edition.pdf

>30k TACTICA & TIPS
What to include in a HH list, how to format it, what makes each legion special (crunch), tactics, Tutorials for Heresy-era minis and more
pastebin.com/Tm2P4QLp

>HH Books, Novels and Rulebooks galore
pastebin.com/k9uvqsub
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.docdroid.net%2Ffz1OuHK%2Fcrusade-imperialis-army-lists.pdf.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.docdroid.net%2FZTK72gs%2Flegiones-astartes-age-of-darkness-army-list.pdf.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmega.nz%2F%23F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg

>/HHG/'s Legion demographics
strawpoll.me/10558764

>/HHG/'s allegiances
www.strawpoll.me/10663447

>Primarch Popularity Poll
strawpoll.me/11458318

>HHG Discord
discordapp.com/invite/wYS2J6b

>STUFF ANONS ASK FOR
www49.zippyshare.com/v/aYWlVV9f/file.html
www32.zippyshare.com/v/heDZWytT/file.html
mediafire.com/file/sc266oa6al1jb7o/the-binary-succession.mp3

Crap, mislabeled the subedition. Someone else do it next time.

What could be done to make the Word Bearers and Night Lords into something more than saturday morning cartoon villians?

This is a HHG PSA. Remember, do not reply to tripfags, do not acknowledge tripfags, and deny tripfags the attention they so desperately crave.

You're acting more of an attention whore than any namefag has recently.
Are you going to post content sometime?

No Gods, No masters, Snek mechanicus rule!

hello lads, anyone know what the naming traditions for veteran squads are? are they just numbered off, or do they have actual names based on the sarges and whatnot?

The Night Lords have ADB's stories that help make them out to be more well-rounded characters.

They're still horrible people, but have the capacity to be tolerant, contemplative, and even having decent relationships with their non-Astartes subordinates.

Depends on the Legion, which one are you playing?

The scale of the legions means you make it up yourself unless they're modelled as a unit that already has lore i.e. Siggy and his templars.

They did a good enough job with the Lorgar, Argel Tal, and Curze, but you've still Erebus and Kor Phaeron as stereotypical baddies and the Night Lords in Pharos don't even act like Night Lords. They wouldn't charge into heavy fire.

The Word Bearers, at least, need less infighting. You don't see loyalist legionnaires mistrusting each other and, as a result, being sent on suicide or distraction missions. It's heavily implied that Lorgar could do without the guys he sent to Calth and on that Furious Abyss storyline.

It's hard with the Night Lords because they're psychopaths, but ADB's M41 NL trilogy works well. He gave them a moral code of their own and some motivation. That's what it takes.

doing Iron Hands, getting a veteran squad nearly done and want to embellish them a little for tourneys and whatnot

How do you go about modeling vets to be different for your army? Looking to make a few squads for my SoH and aside from giving everyone a cloak, I can't think of other bits of flair I can do to clearly distinguish them from other squads. They will all have combi-guns, but I still want to customize the squads more visually.

Give them a backstory, or play some games with them and let them gather history. My friend has a commissar he's had since the dawn of fifth that has a kill count on his coat, that covers his entire coat, so now he has an old inquisition scribe model following him around to keep count
I have mine with different gubbins depending on their job. My snipers get ocular upgrade heads and my weaponmasters, in addition to having swords, have bare heads for manly man fighting, while my glue squad that changes each game simply all have all the bits and pieces-grenades, holstered knives/pistol and a severed helmet on their belt, painted loyalist colours with the sarge having his predecessor as squad sarge on his belt.

Then it will probably be a mixture of the clan they came from, along with the deeds they have done in battle. IH are subtly Scottish, with their clans and underdog past. Something where they are named for perseverance would be good.

EX: A beleaguered group of tactical marines and the few remaining support squad brothers from Clan Kaargal held off near countless waves of some Xenos threat as a comms issue made the bulk of the Iron Hands force move to a different sector.
Bearing down upon them from all sides this hardy group of marines numbering on 13 on the first day, lasted six days and six nights of near constant fighting.
So the 'Kaargal Eternals' or 'the Highland brothers' might work I dunno a lot about the Scots

I model them with trophies of past battles or badges of honor.
With the models I have refreshed since I first started playing SW, I have added bits from the enemies I have played against- Nids, Orks, and Chaos space marines.
In order, it has been 'remembered scars' as battle damaged for both Nids and Orks, and battlefield pick ups from the Chaos space marines, things that would generally be untainted like pouches or knives, with a lot actually having CSM armor bits.

The badges of honor are bits from the SM Sternguard box, as mark the marines as Terran vets or as veterans from long campaigns. Some have oaths of the moment, some even have gifts from other legions like a Huscarl from one of my Slayer squads has a suit of armor from the Raven Guard.

You shitpost more than a tripfag, you know that?

I know.

I don't care.

Working on a balanced Custodes list at 2500; how does this look?

HQ: Legio Custodes Tribune w/ Praesidium Shield, Cyber-Familiar, Melta Bombs, Digital Weapons, and Paragon Spear 275pt

Elites: Legio Custodes Contemptor-Achillus Dreadnought w/ Dreadspear 240pt

Troops: Legio Custodes Custodian Guard Squad of 5 w/ a Magisterium Vexilla/Sentinel WarBlade and Melta Bombs 310pt

Transport: Legio Custodes Coronus Grav Carrier w/ Extra Armor 140pt

Troops: Legio Custodes Custodian Guard Squad of 5 w/ Melta Bombs 300pt

Troops: Legio Custodes Sentinel Guard Squad of 5 w/ a Magisterium Vexilla and Solerite Power Gauntlet 325pt

Fast Attack: Legio Custodes Pallas Grav-Attack Squad of 2 w/ Extra Armor 180pt

Fast Attack: Legio Custodes Pallas Grav-Attack Squad of 2 w/ Extra Armor 180pt

Heavy Support: Legio Custodes Caladius Grav Tank w/ Twin-Linked Arachnus Heavy Blaze Cannon and Extra Armor 215pt

Heavy Support: Legio Custodes Caladius Grav Tank w/ Twin-Linked Arachnus Heavy Blaze Cannon and Extra Armor 215pt

Total = 2500pt

Thanks for the bread. Are you from Oceania? I have to know

Fuck you and your fucking shield tribune, that is all you need to know.

Honestly I think part of the point of Erebus and Kor Phaeron is they're supposed to be stereotypical bad guys.

>shield and familiar tribune
>balanced
Come on, you're better than this

The fact that people get mad about Shield Tribunes just makes people want to take them more, you know.

Getting mad at user probably only feeds the fire.

its cool my meta is pretty much narrative driven for 90% of events and that means I get to pick opponents, user can enjoy me just grinning when he asks for a game and saying no thanks mate.

It's not even an implication- the fluff has since established that all of the Word Bearers in the Calth assault were deliberately sent because they were too aggressive or erratic to be of use in the legion.

It was literally a suicide mission.

This tickle your fancy more?

HQ: Legio Custodes Tribune w/ a pair of Solerite Power Talons, Cyber-Familiar, Melta Bombs, and Digital Weapons 255pt

OR Constantin Valdor (All Legio Custodes now have Teleportation Transponders) 275pt

Elites: Legio Custodes Contemptor-Achillus Dreadnought w/ Dreadspear 240pt

Troops: Legio Custodes Custodian Guard Squad of 5 w/ a Magisterium Vexilla/Sentinel WarBlade and Melta Bombs 310pt

Troops: Legio Custodes Custodian Guard Squad of 5 275pt

Troops: Legio Custodes Sentinel Guard Squad of 5 w/ a Magisterium Vexilla and Solerite Power Gauntlet 325pt

Fast Attack: Legio Custodes Pallas Grav-Attack Squad of 2 170pt

Fast Attack: Legio Custodes Pallas Grav-Attack Squad of 2 170pt

Total = 3000pt

>Not playing someone over one model

What a fucking loser you are.

Shitposting in hhg is fun. Shitposting about degenerate furfags in hhg is better.

more like the entire army senpai, the HQ rubbish is just a great red flag for the type of mindset that goes into full custodes armies. I played one on the weekend, his was half painted and he salty, was exactly as expected and not a lot of fun, I still won though.

I havent won against them yet as nightlords, its to the point where i dont even bother. I've got a positive w/l against space yiffs and i've onlylost against thousand sons when he proxied magnus, but custodes can't be beaten. I either ignore my army and make a generic list of plasmaspam and artillery, or dont play custodes. For me, they're mostly good hobby people with painted or mostly-painted armies, its just that the army is insanely unbalanced against legion lists and the shield-tribune is the biggest indicator of that brokenness.

Custodes list/player here; I made the Tankibune for fun, but I primarily use other models because I know they're a real cluster. I use Ixion Hale as Valdor or two of my other Shield Captains and the Tankibune rarely sees battle against anything that isn't Primarch deathstars.

This entire army is painted and I refuse to use unpainted models. I've played for ten years and I play for fun, winning doesn't matter.

I agree. Sympathetic traitors are great but the whole point of the Word Bearers is cartoon villainy. Argel Tal was too good for them.

Has anyone seen Custodes vs. Daemons battle? Curious on how it goes.

No, I'm in California. Brought work home.

Custodes in general are kinda shit unless you spam Caladii and Agamati; against hordes things just get worse, since low attack volume and high AP mean fuck all against daemons.

See, thats great, you seem like a cool guy, but i still wouldnt play you, because in six games i think i've killed a grand total of two three-man units of sentinels, one dread and two transports. The sentinels were objective-squatting and got jumped by Konrad and his big pile of assault marines, anything more than three and they grind me down while the rest of their squads dogpile me. The dread was a lucky explodes by a terror squad meltabomb, which was entirely dice luck. The custodes are just hard-counters to anything i own. Winning doesnt matter, the game is fun either way, but im not going to be the neighborhood punching-bag because thats not a game, its a farce on the level of taudar vs orks in regular 40k.

By what i've killed, thats wiped out units. I've chipped off one or two banana-men from bigger units pretty often but they've always wiped me out before i've finished killing them. This is with nightlords who are usually at i5, and +1 to wound and hit.

>I still won though.
No, really? You won against an army that is garbage outside of three to *maybe* four units? Amazing.

How do legion list fare against deamons ? I don't have the possibility to play against true 30k players and most of my games are played against deamons

Okay, I feel for you playing NL against custodes, but the issue there has more to do with NL than with custodes. Any shooty army will savage custards in a hurry, leaving only a single invulnerable shieldbune trundling along before eventually getting stuck in a tac blob he can't hope to grind down in time.
Other melee-heavy armies have similar issues except for WE melee hordes.

demons die like bitches to everything

You havent seen a true deamon list then

Personally I LOVED the end of Fear to Tread where (spoiler cause it's just that good even though it's old) he mouths off to Horus after the warmaster fucks up his plan, so Horus peels his face off in front of everyone.

It was a comeuppance that I think a lot of people had been waiting for

Custodes user with list from earlier here.

Just finished my Pallas Grav-Attacks! Now time to varnish and seal them.

To be fair, Erebus took it like a champ.

Anyone have Dorn's and Morty's gargantuan leviathan image?

I only have Morty's.

grenades, pouches, chainswords attached.

extra decals and freehands.

Do you guys have ideas about "non fluffy" units? Iron Warrior biketillery Shrapnel Bolter Jetbike Command squads are in my mind, but I don't know how to make them work.

any lore regarding custodes hair? they're not all bald fags right?

Nope. Tons of them have hair ranging from Mohawks to ponytails; some also sport facial hair and stubble.

Valdor for example is famous for his five o'clock shadow and Mohawk whilst Ixion Hale has a greying beard. In Master of Mankind a few regular Custodes who remove their helmets are mentioned to have had short cropped hair, baldness, fringe cuts, and even hair tied back.

Is the Mhara Gal worth it in this Thousand Son era?
Seems like they were designed to shit on psykers

Nope, you could have a Leviathan instead for their price. Or a Knight. Take a Knight.

They go pretty well against them.
Take 20 man tac squads for maximum bolter action, and terminators cus lol bloodletters a shit, and you'll do well

Are you using that Gw spray?

Yeah, over a black primer and then painted using Duncan's exact tutorial

Why is Magnus so hot?

Personally I'm fond of using the Ordo Reductor "Ignore difficult and dangerous terrain" to run a fast melee army on occasion. You don't have to buy everything frag grenades and can deepstrike happily into ruins. Siege Ursarax for the win.

As for the bikes, mathhammer out how many you'd need to cause a Pinning test on Marines and fly around shooting at threats to your advancing army. Support squad with Lascannon, possibly artillery if you can flank it, charge and tie up quad-mortars with 2+ armour. Be extremely dickish without having to waste important units. If you want more bikes in the unit, I would say take them with guns with more people punch, since you gain no benefit from extra casualties for the purpose of Pinning tests.

Til Kharn knocked him down a peg.

>If you want more bikes in the unit, I would say take them with guns with more people punch
What do you mean? Not only I don't know if Command squads can buy different weapons for their Jetbikes (but can buy power weapons unlike Jetbike squads), but apparently plasma cannons are bad.

He flew too close to the sun.

> glance on over at the 40k side of things
> FUCKING END TIMES THEYRE KILLING IT 8TH ED IS TRASH
> come back over to /hhg/
> 8th ed is going to save us, we don't know everything yet, but what we know so far looks good

love you guys

because nervous nerds are that much better to spoil than people who give you multiple dick piercings for free

I for one welcome our 8th edition overlords

Had a fun idea for the Head Honcho of the Traitor Blood Angels
What wargear and/or relics do you guys think he should have?
It's mostly for fun, and I might even make him just to put on my shelf, so no need to kit him out with 'the usual' for a Praetor

bat wing jumpack instead of angel wing
also thorns wrapped around his right hand so he can constantly squirt blood out

We talking Khornate chaos traitor with so much blood symbolism he makes yiffs cry, or emperor's a dick secular traitorious angel lucifer type?

Lightning claws that are really just his bare hands with bloody and long nails. Jump pack that is either wings or him hovering; Plasma Pistol or Archaeotech pistol that is really just his glowing demonic eyes.

Probably the latter, DIO answers to god but himself

How about the Nanyte Blaster? for shooting flesh buds

Fuck. Yes.

Oh, i thought you just had dio as an excited face for your idea. Lets see, iron halo rules used as his aura of dark majesty/timestop for a 4++, abs armour for 2+, chainfist+BAngel doublewound sword modelled as a hand-claw to represent his various biological fighting styles and strength, some of curze's knives because DIO, ZA WARUDO is probably some once-per-game version of fantasy's ASF as his warlord trait, archeotech pistol as his freaky eye blast thing. If he comes in contact with Alexus Polux, Polux can ignore the lost attacks part of his ignores-unwieldy thing due to spontaneously developing Star Platinum

Don't know much about jetbikes, but why would plasma cannon be bad? They're good at most things, you're Relentless and have 2+ at against Gets Hot. I was saying that you might want some AP3/2 weaponry given that the Shrapnels don't do much, although power weapons might be a good plan so you can capitalise on your own Pinning.

Pyromancy.

After when did TS start to grow bird-head, extra arms and tentacles and stuff? I mean Aspiring Sorcerer stuff, not full flesh change Spawns.

Probably not until the siege, and even then its going to be nothing compared to 40k level mutations

> Polux is Jotaro
I am 100% on board with this

Well everything is fully sealed now, so that leaves me with my goal complete of getting all this shit done in one week. On the upside of torturing myself, I at least get to use them all on Tuesday.

Fuck why did I do this.

> Fuck why did I do this
Because they're GORGEOUS
BTW what varnish and seal did you use for your models?

Hahah thank you!

I used Rustoleums American Accents 2x ultra cover semi-gloss clear and let it dry fully before hitting it with a quick spritz of GW Purity Seal.

In Aurelian Lorgar goes to see Magnus just after Prospero to the planet of the sorcerers and there he sees some of the thousand sons had developed mutations.

Fucking hell user I haven't even been able to finish a squad of tartaros terminators in the whole week. Very impresive

>Pallas
>Sagittarum
>Captain with Power Talons???

Why do you torture yourself with garbage units?

Well, I like having fun.

I also happen to love those models as I do everything in the Custode army because I have an absolutely raging hard-on for them as a whole. Even the shit that hasn't been released yet.

I only have one Pallas and I've named it the Buckingham.

Get on my level, scrub

We have a name for this big boy. The Telemon Heavy Dreadnought.

That's a different gun to what we saw before.

jink

>thiccest dread yet
>some kinda rotary lascannon
Jesus christ how horrifyingly boner-inducing

>telly mon
I'm forever going to read that name in a jamaican accent.

Okay, I wrote a list for a 2k army of allied SoH-Podders under the command of Maloghurst and a Cthonian headhunters Solar Auxilia detachment under a tank commander.

They are divided along the 1000 point mark, with the aux having a fully tricked out Veletaris Squad in a a similarily spiffy Dracosan. Accompanied they are by a Thunderbolt fighter and a Tank commander in a nicely equipped Malcador (all the upgrades) for 995 points.

My problem begins with the SoH detachment, 20 man tac squads in a kharybdis and a partly power weapon wielding vet squad in an anvillus, both with apothecaries, comes in around 891 points.

I can probably ditch some of the extra stuff for the SA detachment..but where would I later put Maloghurst?

That shitter can't run and he can't deepstrike with Termies since he lacks Deepstrike himself.

Putting him in a heavy support squad might work, but I fear the list is still not that close range fighty as it could be, even though I am positive they could fuck up enemy armour quite well.

I guess its just a very low point level, but the idea is to start growing both segments seperately and slowly.

Oh god, why did you have to mention that. Now I can't stop seeing it like that.

Custodes getting "Levi Dreads, but better" is bullshit, though. You already see lists with two or three regular boringdreads all the time, and these probably don't even need pods.

>no lance
>no sword
>no shield
Not sure if want.

Why can't you put Mal with an 18- or 19-man tac squad? Tacs don't get special weapons per 5 so you don't lose anything by not taking a nice round number. Hell, they can't be 20-man squads anyway if you want an apothecary in the kharybdis with them.

Yes, but he can't run or sweeping advance and spreads that to the squad.

I mean I could probably kick him out later to squat on an objective since he allways couns as scoring....would have liked that in a squad that normally can't do it tough.

Ps:

You are probably right though, they won't win a slugging match anyway, so pinning everyone with the Kharybys and trying to outshoot the guys they can't outfight until the Vets or the SA tanks arrive seems more logical anyway.

Thank you for the advice.

>just going to be a big lump of gold
Custodes models are wasted by their colour scheme.

God yes, this fucker and the other dreads are the entire reason I started getting Custodes... That I started collecting heresy at all even.