EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Land Hate is Okay Edition

Previous Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
Favorite ways to blow up lands?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/h-y-p-e-r-a-c-t-i-v-e/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/debt-and-taxes/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What are the best "pure" blue draw spells?
Is recurring insight worth it? Also, why do so many people consider fact or fiction to be so good?

I prefer the lasting approach.

>Favorite ways to blow up lands?
Terastodon, Woodfall Primus, Acidic Slime etc. where it appears to be merely incidental

Man, I really want Land Equilibrium for my Hanna.
This works with Mycosynth Lettuce and Army of the Machines

I'm thinking changing my Xenagos deck to Samut, Voice of Dissent to add that spice of white plus untapping. The issue with this is that I'll then probably have to cut my usual eldrazi titans in favor for fun stuff, such as new Odric, Iroas and Heartless Hidegutsu. I want to use these Eldrazi in another deck, but what colors should I go for? I at least want it to be green for ramp, Descedants and World Breaker, any other fun tech/colours for the eldritch tribal? I've seen some fun things with Mimeoplasm+Ingest or Damia, Sage of Stone+multiple landdrops.

*Descendant's Path

Fact or Fiction is good because it allows you to force choices between bad or worse. For example, if it reveals one card that would guarantee a win (think Grapeshot/Tendrils of Agony in a storm deck, X damage spell with infinite mana, Tooth and Nail, or whatever your choice of massively influential spell is) and four good cards, well you just got four cards for four mana, which is hard to beat.

I have an eldrazi tribal deck in dimir, pretty fun to play

If you have infinite mana and still need a draw spell to win, consider a different general

I love Descendant's path, but unfortunately it done me much bad, since it has revealed cards I wanted to draw

I want to play a meme deck.

Gimme suggestions.

Minotaurs.

Fuck you

Is desert twister even worth it now that scour from existence exists? Scour looks cooler as well.

Well you can always run both.

U/R is pretty common for Eldrazi. Red is fun for them anyways as it gives you MLD, Kozilek's Return, and Treasonous Ogre.

If you have infinite and no win con consider killing yourself.

Alright, fine, but only if you wear a blonde wig.

t. mastermind who always has exactly the cards he needs and mana for one hundred counterspells

I meant it as "swing in the neck swing, you brit-teeth" instead of "i would like a intercourse with you"

Chaos and group hug are meme decks, not tribals, minotaurs least of all.

retard
Why play your infinite combo if you don't have the means of utilizing it already? Leave that shit in your hand.

If you intend to have infinite mana, you should run a commander that benefits from it, like Oona.
You're a retard.

>I have an infinite mana combo in my hand
>But I don't have the game winning card!
>If only I had included more draw power!

>Favorite ways to blow up lands?
With a Maelstrom Wanderer on the stack.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/h-y-p-e-r-a-c-t-i-v-e/

Snakes and -1/-1 counters.

Which is what I've already implied in the post you're replying to goddamn moron.
The game winning card is in your command zone.

Wow rude

Go swallow a razor, you waste of space

Problem is that I already have an UR and GR deck, Melek and Xenagos, plus that MLD/Vorinclex is really looked down upon in my playgroups.
One really good reason for going Temur though is Shaman of the Great Hunt, such a great card.

You go play a different format, you utter failure of a living organism

>have infinite mana
>FoF split for wincon / four others
>choose the four cards instead of the wincon
good job user

FoF is good because it's at worst an instant speed draw 3, but also has advantages in being a political tool and filling your graveyard.

Keep in mind that with Eldrazi you are essentially playing colorless as a color. So if you did do Temur it would be more akin to playing 4 colors rather than 3 as far as a mana base goes anyways.

Anyone got some spicy secret tech for Noyan Dar?

Make sure to include the bewootiful Alicia Fuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

Braids, coalition victory, Erayo, Griselbrand, primeval titan, sundering titan, sylvan primordial, and upheaval should all be unbanned

And no fast mana rocks should be banned, and lastly the best way to play edh is 1v1 using the multiplayer ban list

Emrakul should be unbanned.

>88.71 USD
That's enough to build three decks!

>3
>not 8
Fucking money waster, you're gonna be homeless if you keep spending like that.

Fuck you shitbag, I'll just eat rice and beans for a year to fund my expensive hobby.

>not being already homeless
all the saved living expenses can get you couple other decks

>eating at all
>not taking up cannibalism to save money on food to fund the most expensive hobby ever!!!!!1
Fucking casual

Just go to restaurants. One simple trick and I can play Gitrog and eat at the same time.

Holy fuck what a lifehack

Nooooooo

Xenagos is way more awesome and effective than Samut, is Samut is hot garbage with bad art

Odric, Selvala and Captain Sisay though
My Xenagos also got too effective, where I got all the hate

Marath or Anime are better for Naya.

Thing is, Samut fill more of the same role that Xenagos does, so I don't need to change the deck that much, while Mayel supports something completely different.
Marath could be fun though

You could also do a combination of Bruse, Tana, Sidar or Akri. I'd say go Bruse/Sidar.

Anyone willing to offer some constructive criticism of my first attempt at an Orzhov deck?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/debt-and-taxes/

Thanks in advance!

Cleansing sucks a lot in EDH.
You really need more ramp and draw, especially draw. I playtested a bit and you run out of cards very easily. Think of phyrexian arena, underworld connections, bloodgift demon etc.

For the most part it looks pretty good. Depending on how much you want your playgroup to suffer you can go harder on the stax.
Erebos is also good, especially to fuck over other lifegainers.

Land tax is absurdly powerful and should be run in two color decks with white. Speaking of lands, urborg + coffers is a decent combo in 2 color as well, you can run expedition map to facilitate it if you want.

Also, look into getting a few cards that are just a straight up hard wincon, like debt to the deathless and exsanguinate, you'd do good to have more wincons than just sanguine bond + exsanguinate. You could run mindcrank to combo with bloodchief ascension.

Is there anything gayer than a person who has a deck with a Theros God as the commander?

Maybe they guy with the gay lovers from Theros as a commander?

(You)

I'm sorry you hate fun so much

I wish I had a Land Tax, the deck is (mostly) budget. I'll keep that in mind though.
Cleansing is meant as a mid/late game play; nothing like blowing up all their lands unless they pay 10+ life for WWW. I'll keep that in mind though.
I'd actually taken Exsanguinate out; (needs too much mana to be effective imo), Mindcrank is a great idea! Thats going in immediately.
Any recommendations for card draw that aren't the 'pay 1 life draw one on your turn' cards? They're too slow for my tastes, its why I put in sign in blood, read the bones and night's whisper.

Thanks again :)

>unban Braids
>ban Sol Ring
>this is fun

Phyrexian arena might seem a little slow, but it's deceptively powerful. You're pribably looking at it like "just 1 per turn?" but more often than not this ends up keeping your hand at the same size. Arena is really damn strong man. There's a reason why the blue equivalents cost about 5 mana.

Besides that there's damnable pact, erebos, greed and promise of power in black, and of course the almighty necropotence (if you're gonna run necro, use the ice age art unless you're a little bitch).

In orzhov you're not really going to find draw that doesn't hurt you. There's always mind's eye and staff of nin, maybe scroll rack although that's more filtering than anything.

For real though, use arena. It supports your enchantment theme, the pain is offset by your lifegain, it fits your deck like a velvet glove.

Oh, I forgot about it but Hatred is amazing, and you should probably be running aetherflux reservoir. You could consider venser's journal depending on your meta, and beacon of immortality is actually pretty sweet with plenty or "whenever you gain life, target opponent loses life" effects.

Black sun's zenith is not that good in my opinion, maybe try something like ashes to ashes, it's a pet card of mine. Merciless eviction is a very strong boardwipe as well. Alhammarret's archive is also something you could consider I guess.

This is a dumb question but

Can you target every attacking and/or blocking creature on the board with this but choose to deal 0 to everything other than 1 creature that eats 5?

As in; If you have a Heroic creature out can you target it with this and just divide that to 0? As it says "any number of targets" and says I can divide it as I choose...

Sorry forgot pic related

Forgot again, but necrologia and ad nauseam are some of the best draw in the entire format. Your deck won't bring out their true potential, but if you're just looking to draw cards then these are fine options.

Except Fact or Fiction is so good because you IGNORE the pile of four cards and pick the guaranteed win.

You get the final choice.

Yeah, I don't know what I was talking about.

>25.08.2015 - You choose how many targets Roil's Retribution has and how the damage is divided as you cast the spell. Each target must receive at least 1 damage.

Put little girl in your deck, now you can deal 1/2 damages to things.

>unban braids
>keep sol ring unbanned
>yes it is

I guess I'll swap out Black Sun's Zenith for Phyrexian Arena. ty!

If you devour a bunch of shit with Mycoloth while you have Reyhan out can you dump all counters that were on those devoured creatures onto mycoloth?

I generally don't think it's the best idea to swap out removal for a compketely different type of card. The biggest change you need is sim0ly some more ramp (signet, mind stone etc) and some more draw. Playtesting is king though, no better way to figure out what you need than to olay some games.

yes

the creatures are sacrificed "as Mycoloth enters the battlefield", which is different from "when Mycoloth enters the battlefield", but the result in this case works either way

Because the creatures are sacrificed during the resolution of a spell or ability, any triggers related to them dying or being sacrificed (such as reyhan's), will wait to be put on the stack til after the spell or ability (in this case Mycoloth) finishes resolving. At that point Mycoloth will be on the battlefield and a legal target for the reyhan triggers which are immediately put on the stack

Europoor here, I don't understand.
Would you please explain?

Fucking neat, thanks.

It's a joke, normally you put a small amount of extra money on the line for tip, add it to the price of the meal for the total. In this case he gave a "negative tip", i.e. He actually wants the waiter/waitress to pay him cuz the service was that bad

Figured it out for anyone interested. The partner commanders come together in
1 combination for each enemy colored guild.
5 combinations for each shard.
8 combinations for each clan.
7 combinations for each 4 color.

Problem is some of the partners are unplayable which means some of those numbers are inflated

You can't play the UW partner so you cut out quite a few combos right there

I'm confused what you mean by Ishai being unplayable.

playing such an actively bad commander is against the rules, little known fine print ruling, ask a judge

Same with ludevic

The UW birb + Bruce Tarl kills people.

Got a friend that made a heavy control deck, it tries to stick Ishai for a round or two and then whacks someone with a doublestriking lifelink 12/12.

It's not as bad as it seems, it's usually a 4 mana 5/5 or 6/6 flyer at the very least by the time your next turn starts.

Whoever was responsible for Ludevicshould be banished to Yugi Oh card design.

>Needing to call a Judge for EDH games
>Being bad at childrens card games

Ah, I understand now.

So 1 for enemy guilds, 5 for each shard, 8 for each clan, 7 for each 4 color. If you include each by itself, 1 for allied guilds, 3 for enemy guilds, 5 for shards, 8 for clans, 7 for 4 colors.

>weak card design is Yugioh
The power creep in that game is absurd.

Full chaos mono red Grenzo

Did you even read his post?

Ludevic isn't just weak -and-bad design.
Yugi Oh is just plain bad design, likely combined with non existent playtesting

I just realized that I forgot to swap out Cleansing. Looks like it'll be that for Arena.

The real problem with Yugioh is that they have to make cards for the show, and the show is built around pulling bullshit wins out of your ass, not having a well balanced game.

did you even read his image?

the turnabout stuff is the best part of the game, you just have to make sure both people are playing for fun

the ultimate truth about all card games is the more "serious" the players are, the less fun the games you play will be

yugioh suffers the worst from the tryhard stuff because of the crazy card design, though I'm honestly torn since lots of MTG design has been far too lame recently, the Amonkhet gods were way too tame

>Playing Sen Triplets at LGS
>Dude plays homeward path
>I transmute tolaria west for my stripmine and get rid of the homeward path
>Dude freaks out about land destruction, fun and how I don't understand the format

EDH is my favourite format but Jesus Christ why is the playerbase so fucking cancerous.

I don't mind nonbasic destruction but it does tick me off when someone destroys my basics, especially early game

LD and counterspells are seen as unfun mainly because they don't let the player on the receiving end play the game, other removal still lets the receiving player feel like they got to do something, even if the outcome is ultimately the same

>Playing Sen Triplets
>Complains about others

But seriously, the player base isn't that bad. You just run into the bad ones and have to tolerate them for a longer time due to long games.

You should've seen the look on the Arcanis player when I Wake of Destruction'd.

How good is this?

Probably not good enough. I'd run Reclamation Sage over it, but if you're looking for more 3-drops then it could make the cut.

Any decks/commanders that are completely oppressive against Combo decks but not that bad against everything else? There's this one jackass who always insists on making us set up when he wants to play his "Turn 3 go Infinite I win GG!" deck. I want him to regret it. I want him to sit there unable to do anything while we all play.

>someone tells me to include Emeria Shepherd in Selvala
>shrug and try it
>Sakura-Tribe Elder
I'm glad I listened.

eh idk, i think it might actualy be better than rec sage in most decks, because, most green decks will have a few naturalizes in their deck anyway, so turning 1 of those into a more narrow removal with upside seems value

having both is nice though

I run it because my meta involves someone who plays Arcum, someone who plays Sharuum, someone who plays Breya, and someone who plays Silas/Reyhan.