mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/...

Other urls found in this thread:

roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Unicorn#content
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Have a thread question:
What particular multiclasses do you / does your DM disallow?
Alternatively, how about races?

From the thumbnail I thought that was Kojima.

>Sphinx

Anyone had a group fucked over by a Sphinx? Between messing with age and literally dumping the PCs in the past/future, Sphinxes seem mighty strong.

No sorlock.
No gnomes (I hate them), no yuan-ti (they're broken), and no flying races, because they're annoying to deal with.

I tell people to ignore the ability score requirements for multiclassing. It hasn't led to anyone overpowered just yet.

>
You're everything that's wrong with the world and I hope your asshole gets eaten painfully by cancer.

Is there a way or a mechanic to force a roll off Legendary Resistance? Basically making the Legendary Resistance irrelevant.

My players rarely multiclass. I don't think I've ever disallowed it, they usually do it for thematic reasons.

>After saving the minor deity they become their cleric
>After some downtime spent wandering the desert they take a level in ranger
>After losing all their wealth they must take to thievery and take a few levels in rogue

And a couple of wizards took a level or two in warlock because they got a bit too close to a fiend. That ended up costing them dearly.

I can agree with all of these, really.

I'd add in some other specifics like taking a level dip of life cleric for aura of vitality or goodberry abuse (Mostly for games where you don't want out of combat healing to be pretty much straight back to 100%, otherwise goodberry is fine), wildshape druid multiclasses for AC (Barbarian or monk dip), armour dips (Wizard with single level of fighter or cleric, though might allow them to take more than one level) and obviously UA multiclasses. I'm not too against sorlocks, but I haven't seen one in action that builds properly.

You can drain legendary resistance with a monk spamming stuns.
If you have a feature that makes a creature reroll a successful saving throw, I believe that would probably make it reroll after auto-succeeding, though I'm not sure if any such thing exists and the creature could just auto-succeed again.
You could also use things that still have effects if the creature makes the save or something it makes no save for anyway.
You could also see if you can find anything that makes them make repeated saves from one cast.

Making legendary resistance irrelevant completely if you're throwing saves at it isn't possible, I believe.

To talk about races.
>depends on the setting
I had a setting which was only human (but the cultures each gave a unique feat).
Another setting was all core races + aasimar (the setting we're currently playing in).

Goodberry life cleric is at least fairly easy to work around, since an extra 40 HP/day just means you can throw a longer adventuring day at them, which lets stuff like monks and warlocks shine.

Armor dips and AC dips are too damn cheesy, though, and UA multiclassing is selectively okay, and is more easily solved by just not allowing the obviously broken UAs.

There is really just one extremely important rule.

If one PC is extremely minmaxed, make sure every other PC is minmaxed, so you can challenge the party without fucking over everyone but the minmaxer.

Dear fellow GMs,

Would you let an Artificer Character Build himself mechanical Extra limbs, If yes at which cost and to what benefit.

also what about hardcore UA splashing the Dragonmarks that lets the artificer cast Fabricate once per day from the Eberron UA

It's already hard enough to get a long adventuring day, without having to make it even longer . Though, granted, there are other ways to do something similar such as having healing spells on a warlock and/or just having higher level healing spells like prayer of healing.

Christ almighty Kaladesh had hideous art.

Mechanical extra limbs would be the level 6 feature. Bam, done.

why no sorlocks
im playing one right now and i see no problem with it.
i just happen to love playing warlocks.

Unless your players are really rich and the setting allows for purchase of the required items, I think it would be easier to have an adventure for the parts.

Benefits? Uh maybe allow a bonus action or reaction to use the hand to do something. Like attack somebody, grapple somebody, ready an item.

Which is the better "undeath" class; An Undying Warlock or a Necromancer Wizard?

I'm a compulsive warlock player. I never skimp on CHA so I almost always have 14+ CHA.

Oh sweet, excellent and helpful information, dude. Thanks heaps.

Would you recommend any particular premade adventure for a newbie DM with a lot of experience playing and a group (mostly) completely new to TTRPGs in general? Length isn't a huge issue. Preferably, I'd like an even mix of dungeon crawling and RPing.

Necromancer wizard, easily.

yea me2, 5e has some dope CHA classes
Warlocks work well with basically everything and have the best theme.

dude quickened EB lmao

>Lost mines
Storm kings Thunder
White Plum Mountain.

is quickeneded EB any better than Scorching ray??

>dragon sorcerer/GOOlock with more health than the party's cleric
>Paladin worshipping a GOO that takes the form of a sun
>half-elf maid that patronizes Titania, get extra magic attacks at total 5th level to make up for dipping, can see in all darkness

As you go up in level, yes. It adds charisma to damage because you took agonizing blast.

At level 5:

1d10+4 1d10+4 + 20ft pushback
19 + 11/20 average damage if 100% hits.

Scorching ray:
2d6 + 2d6 + 2d6
22 + 1/20 average damage if 100% hits, but fire instead of force

Eldritch blast is better from level 5 onwards, even if not massively better.

Why?

scorching ray is 2nd lvl -> 4 sorcery points -> 2 quickened spells

Over 2 Turns:
6d6 + 1d10+4 (30,5) vs 4d10+4x4 (38) (at 18 cha)

at lvl 5 you eldritch blast does double damage.
Not even talking about the metamagic spellslot fuckery

I allow UA ranger in my game but ban multiclassing into it.

Why not?

It's the most overpowered archetype+class in the game if played correctly, so it wins the mechanical fight.

Undying warlock offers hardly very much in the way of necromancy and shit as far as I recall in terms of spells, so it loses out while necromancer wizard is busy raising undeadbros. So it should win on the flavour front.

But oathbreaker is also overpowered and pretty undead-centric considering they buff undead creatures.

A second level spell slot is only worth 2 sorcery points if you break it down.

Anyone have a good resource for character art? I'll be playing a noble born warlock in an upcoming game and need to find something nice.

Our DM completely bans multiclassing
It works out alright

There usually is a character art thread up might wanna check that out

Just use google, but search based on the LOOK of the image you'd like, not on what you're actually using it for. For example, you'd be best off looking for bards or princes rather than warlocks if you wanted to go full prince charming with that character

Another is that, if you're looking for "gritty" or "grounded" images, looking for rogues is almost always a good idea because for some reason they're the only class exempt from the unwritten rule that all fantasy art must be overt anime shit

wouldnt call it banning, for it is a Variant feature like Feats or Magic items.
(Who are we kidding)

I wish Darkvision was A Variant Trait. its one of the few things I dont count in my games.

People have a problem with Sorlocks (once high enough level) having sustained damage on par with martials.

But it's like meh. Warlocks are basically utility martials, and sorcerers are the worst full casters, and if you combine the two the result is an effective damage dealer but squishy and needs to sacrifice its versatility as an opportunity cost to sustain the damage.

Feel free to believe that.

Feel free to believe what in particular? That the paladin with better DPR than the DPR class, the fighter, yet still has all the other paladin goodies, is overpowered?
That the wizard who can maintain over a hundred creatures is more powerful than a warlock archetype who doesn't actually get anything special and is generally regarded as a bad archetype? I mean, I'd like to see someone justify undying being a good archetype design.

>squishy
Really? I'd imagine most sorcerers would be Draconics and they've got the scales and extra HP per level that gives them the same average HP per level as Clerics and Warlocks, and that's before CON bonus.

They're just posting tattoos and suits

Realistically speaking, a good DM isn't going to let you have more than 4-6 skellies up at a time. While a decent buff for party strength, they're situational, so hardly broken.

And if you're with a bad DM why even play

with my tavern brawler barbarian, i'll often have two enemies grappled, would you guys allow me to have a weapon attached to my forehead? what damage die should that be

roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Unicorn#content

Unfortunately Undying sucks dick. If you want an "Undeath" class without skeleton spam then Death Cleric is likely your best bet.

How do you have two guys grappled at once? Also I wouldn't have much more 1d4's worth of damage on your face.

4 skellies is what you can maintain with a single non-upcasted cast of animate undead. Upcasting it, you can maintain a much larger number with only one spellcast, so your DM would be a bit crazy to say you can't do that. And your DM is pretty shit if they say 'Oh, I'm banning that because I don't like it.'
Instead, they should insist you use some of the skellies as rearguards and such or guarding the home base or exploring for you because if you take them all into combat you'll be tripping over your own troops and it'll be a mess.

A good DM would allow you to still do your thing while still keeping things fair and challenging.
They might even say 'Okay, you can mass these 144 skeletons into 12 really big fucking skeletons and then into 2 fuckhueg skeletons' so it doesn't bog down combat. They'd be weaker overall but harder to AoE and such so you're not using all your counterspells counterspelling fireballs all day.

Or they might have paladins and shit after you for being a fucking necromancer with a skeleton army.

All of that is better DMing than saying 'Lol no fuck you no fun allowed'

It's likely a bit more on the Wizard/Sorcerer side but this one's decent. Got any more specifics on how you want him to look? Also patron? I've got a fair bit of art.

(Cont..)
And also you'll have to find corpses to raise in the first place.

It's potentially the most powerful, but it's also potentially quite a vulnerable wizard, especially if you're cut off from all your skellies/holy magic scares them off and you're left alone with only a few spell slots left.

If it wasn't possible to cicrumvent the combat lag and if it wasn't possible to counter it, it would be something your DM shouldn't allow, but as a matter of fact you can do both and your DM not doing that is just them being an inexperienced DM who doesn't know how to deal with X and probably bans shit they can't counter.

He's a strong cunt, and were in a kobold heavy sesh, shove down one kob, automatic grapple, and grapple another one with extra attack. No hands free means i only get unarmed forhead strikes, when I want at least a d6

A DM shouldn't have to shape the game around you because you made a hideously overpowered character on purpose

I don't see how you can think not letting you have a fucking army of skeletons means the DM is shit and nofunallowed

whoops

Oh my god your language is haunting.

Also even though it's likely too late, your only RAW options are play a Minotaur or Lizardfolk. Minotaur is probably one of the best grapplers in the game.

Will they ever release a Campaign Setting or do they expect us to pick up old ones and convert them to the new rules?

What the goddamm fuck are you blathering about, who can understand your drivel? Are you a literal retard?

Female, Fey. Half-elf so she can look as human or elven as I like. Neutral Good alignment, so nothing sinister.

>A DM shouldn't have to shape the game around you
You do realize that's like saying
>A DM should make a game completely disregarding the players who're playing it and then put characters through it and hope it works out
Right?

The DM shouldn't have to make every single encounter have a fireball wizard to counter it, yes, but you hardly have to do that to stop it.

You can't fit an entire skeleton army in some rooms.
You can't fit an entire skeleton army across every trap you find.
You can't always maintain your skeleton army with enough corpses.
You might have people come chase after you.
There's a billion things that could happen as a consequence of a player doing their actions in the world.
That is what D&D is. The players do shit, the world reacts to their influence, even if it's not on a global scale and a 'Oh, the big bad at the end of the dungeon sees you coming in with a big fucking army and you have a rest, so you give him plenty of time to build up defences against it.'

fair enough, ill switch up tactics

grognard.booru.org

I'm back again, let me know what you think. Love me a good critiquing.

Sorcerer Subclass Weavetouched take 3.

Again: The DM shouldn't have to shape the game in order to "counter" your stupid build. You're equating not wanting to design every encounter so that your skeleton army doesn't completely break the game to completely ignoring player agency

Playing with people like you must be a fucking nightmare

Turns out I don't have much in the way of females. Side effect of faggotry.

This is about the only thing I've got and if you know how to use photoshop you could make it into an Eldritch Blast attack rather then a punch I guess. Sorry mate.

I appreciate your effort regardless.

>Believing you'll be able to get that many without many being destroyed in the process due to higher level monsters

I love watching the white room theory crafting that takes a 100% perfect set of circumstances to be relevant.

What are the best spells to make the martials feel useless as a Wizard? I need to know so I can avoid picking them of course.

Again, you're completely missing the point of D&D:

YOUR ACTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES.

The wizard is going to start digging up graveyards and shit to get those skeletons. He's not going to be able to find enough corpses everywhere.

What do you think happens? 'Oh no, it's OP, I'm banning you?'

No. People find out. They start trying to protect their dead. They start sending out clerics and paladins. You can't even go into a town when anybody's looking.

While mechanically 144 skeletons is fucking ridiculous, the environment reacts and flavour-wise you start realizing that actually having an army of 144 skeletons everywhere and no spell slots left is a lot worse than you had hoped for.

If your DM can't understand that shit happens when players do things, they should quit and play a video game instead.

That's exactly what I'm saying, though.

On paper, the necromancer wizard is potentailly one of the most overpowered things in the game. Mechanically, it's great.
Once you throw him into a setting though, you encounter all sorts of various problems.

A legion of skeleton archers could easily take out a high level monster with minimal losses, but it's true that over an adventuring day you'll lose some, and the worst thing is trying to get more skeletons to replace them without invoking consequences never being the same again.

If PCs shouldnt do it I feel like the DM shouldnt Metagame either.

If you keep running into invisible enemies until you buy a lantern of revealing /get truesight and then poof no enemy can become invisible anymore its a bad sign.

If a DM just tries to cockblock a single player with their encounters without talking to them at all first its just a red-flag.

lets say at 6th level you could theoretically raise 6 skeletons take a short rest raise another 2. take a long rest pacify the 8 skeletons raise another 4after a short rest. you now burned trough an entire day raising 12 skeletons and used your arcane recovery. Honestly I'd rather take the 8 Fireballs instead

dear 5eg

How the hell do I tank in 5e?

I perfectly understand how D&D works, thank you. What I am telling you is that you're making a very contrived excuse to be the strongest character in the party (and a regular wizard is already overkill for this purpose with minimal optimization), and justifying it because the world must "react" to your actions, which you seem to think means the wizard should be able to powertrip via spotlight-hogging bullshit which, if actually done, would end with every encounter needing to be tailor made to the wizard and several new plotlines to fix the enormous shitstorm the player just stirred with his dumb necromancer character (on the way you are defending it) while paying no mind to the possibility that the other players or the DM may want to do something other than gargling wizard balls 24/7

Use intimidate or bluff to get your enemies to target you. Hope your DM is ok with what you're trying to do.

Our best tank is an Eldritch Knight
When we first started this season I thought he was gonna be useless, but he took Warcaster for concentration checks and it turns out Blur and Shield are really good spells!

We're now level 9 or so and he's wearing full plate, a shield and a +2 ring of protection and he has like 22 AC (27 with Shield) and enemies get disadvantage on him

He's also big and threatening so mobs tend to focus on him (or maybe the DM does it to make him feel useful)

That's not what I'm saying, though.

The game doesn't change shape to fit the player.
The dynamic elements of the world shape to fit the player.

The DM isn't saying 'Okay, all encounters now have a fireball wizard'
He's simply invoking
'Okay, you robbed a graveyard, people are fucking pissed at you'

If you say that people getting pissed at you and sending people after you is bad, you're basically saying 'Your actions shouldn't have consequences.'

You would still encounter some things like a wizard with fireball, but they could have been there anyway, or the wizard might have had other spells they would have used if you didn't have an army.

You'd get a lot more skeletons than those 8 fireballs and you'd have to spend 8 actions to get those 8 fireballs, but it's perfectly reasonable to save those spell slots for something you can count on rather than counting on being able to fit all of your skeletons into a dungeon without anything bad happening.

Basically everything.

the new UA artificer gets a pretty powerful CR2 Beast Mechanical Servant that can React when the Character gets attacked, Those gotta be some serious Mecha-Jazzhands to replace that.

Honestly the Servant is probably the only redeeming feature of the class

I thought it was the Rat Hills

It gets them the same max hp but doesn't actually improve their hit die. Even most d8 classes have better defenses than +1 AC over light armor.

His robot buddy is a mechanical spider that rides on his back. Instead of bites the arms are holding weapons with the same reach, to hit, and damage.

Well, actually, I mean, you're about right it's 12 or 16 skeletons at level 6 but that'd only be 3 or 4 fireballs.

Each route has its advantages.

Just because people are reacting to the wizard, doesn't make everyone else less relevant.

There the wizard stands, devasted as he's left with no spell slots and the cleric has just turned all his minions away, and he's quite limited on his options. Suddenly, the rest of his party can do shit to help.

The wizard's trying to get all of their minions across a lengthy spike pit trap which everybody else can simply jump over with their martial prowess, but they lack the spells to do that and the spell slots. So, the barbarian hacks down a door and holds it firm part way across the pit to help the minions jump over.

Just because the wizard is powerful, doesn't mean there's no room left for everyone else. He's not awfully tough and he has to lug all his minions everywhere and spend spell slots to make sure his minions don't turn against him. He has many flaws, and other players can easily cover for those flaws and excel where the wizard couldn't.

>Suddenly, the rest of his party can do shit to help.
I had a good chuckle at this

Re-read that sentence a few times and you'll start to see why most DM's wouldn't allow it. You phrase it like some "the real heroes" shit where everyone else at the party are laundry workers and nobody appreciates their work until the almighty wizard shits his pants

Just ban wizards and minions. Duh.

You clearly love being the centre of attention. You want to derail the whole campaign to make the story about your "necromancer army. So cool xD". Fuck off.

(Cont)
Or, maybe the other teammates have to go into town for him because he can't be seen, or try to cover for why there's a whole load of really quiet mercenaries dressed up to even their face outside town.

The key part is that he has flaws as well as good points. He might trivialize some encounters, but he'll suffer greatly on other encounters. That's how things should be, and nothing's wrong with that.

Even if a druid did a trillion damage with magic missiles, what would happen is people start realizing this is happening and they start doing their best to make shields of brooching or at least inferior versions that lessen the damage of magic missile, or people will hear of it and start using tactics to start avoiding the magic missiles (You can't magic missile a target you can't see, if I recall right).

There's 'Suddenly, no invisible enemies appear anymore since you have anti-invisibility' and there's 'The invisible enemies after the first in this dungeon try to stay away from you because they saw what you were capable of earlier and fled'

Maybe it's a bit contrived to expect your DM to actually be decent, but you shouldn't pull this on a new DM anyway.

You could say this normally. 'The wizard is ridiculously powerful, he does 8d6 damage AoEs every single turn that always deal at least half damage!'
But yet he isn't that powerful all the time. Funny huh?

Shouldn't you be playing Pathfinder?

Does pathfinder have DMs that understand if you have a tunnel fighter fighter that after 5 kobolds spear themself on the fighter's spear that they should consider 'Maybe we should stop running onto his spear' instead of all running onto his spear, dying, and the DM then banning tunnel fighter?
If so, then maybe, but it's still a pretty shit system.

I think you missed the point of my post, unless I'm miss reading, as encounters get harder more monsters have aoe attacks or are just outright hard to hit even for the party. Taking this into account the amount of attacks that will actually stick will be slim to none, then they get to attack and decimate the ranks without really trying.

This skeleton army would be obliterated facing say an adult dragon, it sounds op as fuck on paper but any encounter will wreck them with how flimsy they are.

>You could say this normally. 'The wizard is ridiculously powerful, he does 8d6 damage AoEs every single turn that always deal at least half damage!'
Damage isn't even what the wizard should be doing. He can, but lots of other classes can do a lot of damage much more reliably. Out of the unlimited fountains of bullshit which full casters, and wizards first and foremost, can use to interact with the game world and combat mechanics, hitting shit hard is the ONE THING they can leave in the hands of the martials or the warlock.

If the DM is handing out "See invisibility" effects in magic items and then never brings back invisible enemies again thats kind of a dick move.

No, I mean Pathfinder is caster autist edition, that's seems more up your alley.

I gave a player the ability to cause 2 negative levels every spell he cast once. The whole campaign they were fighting undead. Took him 3 months to realize.

Drop Efficient Sorcery and Weavesense entirely, limit Energy Substitution to CHA mod/day or make it a Metamagic option, and I *might* allow this at my table.

Sorlock??

Palalock is where it's at.

Any reason behind those changes?

>There the wizard stands, devasted as he's left with no spell slots and the cleric has just turned all his minions away, and he's quite limited on his options. Suddenly, the rest of his party can do shit to help.

>The wizard's trying to get all of their minions across a lengthy spike pit trap which everybody else can simply jump over with their martial prowess, but they lack the spells to do that and the spell slots. So, the barbarian hacks down a door and holds it firm part way across the pit to help the minions jump over.

>Just because the wizard is powerful, doesn't mean there's no room left for everyone else. He's not awfully tough and he has to lug all his minions everywhere and spend spell slots to make sure his minions don't turn against him. He has many flaws, and other players can easily cover for those flaws and excel where the wizard couldn't.

>The entire campaign revolves around the wizard and the rest of the party is just there when he needs them

This has to be bait or a 3.xaboo who thinks casters need to be brought back up to their former glory.