Have you ever played a married character?

Have you ever played a married character?

No, but now I want to play a group of spec ops hunting a Predator

3.5, had an Iron Mind with a wife and two sons. It really doesn't come up much, but when it does it can be a little heartwarming. I throw in some quirks too. He doesn't swear ever for instance, he might end up doing it around the kids after all.
Mostly he does his best to hide just what happens when he's away. It's not something he'd want to worry her with.

What system would be the best for that?

Old Interlock?
Savage Worlds?
GURPS?

Current character is married. Well, was, the wife died and he's doing his best to raise his daughter right and protect her.

Yep, only ever do it if you know the DM isn't a cunt though.

Dwarf fighter, Detective Inspector for the Highmoon City Watch. I went too deep investigating a crime ring, found out more than I should've, and my wife and child were locked in my home and burned alive in retaliation. I pursued the killer (a pyromaniac named the Pitch Burner), who skipped town and escaped my jurisdiction. My only choice, really, was to abandon the force, go AWOL, and track him down—but the trail went cold, and the best I could do was ally with an adventuring party and search town-by-town for any sign of the Pitch Burner's passing.

I still considered myself married, and thought nothing of romance the whole adventure.

There was a Half Life mod with this premise and it was amazing

Yes. My dwarf inquisitor is a homosexual man married to a homosexual woman and they raise their adopted children together.
The dwarven gods intended for marriage to be between a man and a woman and for raising kids.
He's deeply religious and so is she. So they married eachother and have never shared a bed. But they love eachother as only family can.

My dwarf provides for his family from being in employ on the surface doing fieldwork hunting demons and whatever. She takes care of the home. They also run a brewery together and the whiskey they brew is an all time favorite among the court of the party member dragon disciple.

As of yet, the homosexual nature of them has only come up when the dragon disciple was seduced by a succubus and talked about it for about 15 minutes. He was more disgusted by her openness and the FUCKING A DEMON, part than the homosexuality of it.

He blames the dragon. They're all perverts. Can't expect her to be sane.

I've played a widow before, so sorta.

200 sons and daughters.

Yes. It did not work out well.

Does it count if my character was mentally ill and THOUGHT they were married?

And give my DM a weapon to use against me? HA.

My wizard right now was married to a Human a long time ago. It worked out really well, and he knew what he was getting into beforehand so he's happy to see his descendants more than he's sad that he'll outlive them.

It hasn't come up in the plot yet, but it's the reason why he treats the party so well. Even though they don't really understand him, they remind him of his children and grandchildren.

Yes. its D&D, I'm playing an ex monk who has a possibly murdered husband. I find that its a really easy way to get out of the normal sexy shenanigans people tend to want to pull female characters into. I can just be like "Nope! My character is married."

played a character whose wife had been killed and he had his mind wiped to forget her. his daughter was a DMPC sidekick, and his son was a palidin seeking to bring me to justice because he blamed me for my wife's death, and not the demon that killed her.

Twice, when I was younger. Both times I was playing a paladin, and both times it became leverage for a "paladin falls" situation.

1 (in college 3.x) - 1st session: DM asks "You're married and have you had sex with your wife?" I respond with yes, and DM says "then your paladin falls". See, my DM was (unbeknownst to me) an *actual* radical feminist. She was of the opinion that women cannot actually consent to sex with men, because since men are generally stronger, there was an inherent power imbalance and potential for coersion, therefore consent couldn't actually be genuinely given, since consent under threat or implied threat isn't actually consent. Since sex without consent was automatically rape, and rape is an Evil act, the paladin had committed an Evil act and fell.

2 (High school AD&D) - High level paladin was married to another high-level adventurer w/2 kids. Went on "come out of retirement to save the multiverse" plot. When I came back (~2yrs later), I came back to an evil empire encompassing my lands. Turns out while I was gone, savage humanoids (don't recall which) had attacked our lands and killed the kids. Wife went insane-ish, started a VERY successful, "if you aren't with us you're against us" campaign of genocide against the humanoids in revenge ("why do we put up with these animals?"). It then expanded to everyone that got in her way or tried to stop her. The BBEG was my Paladin's wife. I got to our old castle, confronted her, and after a solid hour of intense RP trying to change her mind, ended up with the choices of:

>kill the love of your life to end the threat to the world (by definition betrays your oath of marriage and mutual defense and fall)
>join the love of your life in her campaign to rid of the world of these savages and kill anyone who would stop you (by definition evil since, well, she went full Saruman, and fall)
>kill self to not have to make a choice (and be damned since suicide was against paladin religion)

>1st session: DM asks "You're married and have you had sex with your wife?" I respond with yes, and DM says "then your paladin falls".
see pic

the 2nd one isn't so bad
with a heavy heart sigh look her in the eye and ask
"what do you call a woman who has lost 90% of her intelligence?"
with all the gravitas you can muster utter "Divorced!" kill wife, fall for right reasons

I'd also accept

I gave you a engagement ring,
you're wearing the wedding ring,
and now for the suffer-ring!

Yeah, first was was pretty much a "walk out of the group and don't come back" moment.

The second, I wasn't old enough nor experienced in life enough to come up with something snappy like that. I accepted falling and joined her, because my character *loved* her. IIRC, I thought that by joining her, I could change her back to the woman I loved over time.

It was about then - right after losing all the paladin powers - that the rest of the party broke in and murdered both of us. At least Hanse died next to the woman he loved.

>women shocked that based Arnie is better than them

>user thinks a joke article is real

The only alternative is that you're just trying to start /pol/shit on Veeky Forums

>giving the gm an easy plot device

Lol no, bitch gonna work to make me care about his game.

Yes, cleric married a dragon we ran into along the course of the campaign. She hung out at the keep we got during our misadventures, he promised to not go too far beyond the kingdom's borders.

>1 (in college 3.x) - 1st session: DM asks "You're married and have you had sex with your wife?" I respond with yes, and DM says "then your paladin falls". See, my DM was (unbeknownst to me) an *actual* radical feminist. She was of the opinion that women cannot actually consent to sex with men, because since men are generally stronger, there was an inherent power imbalance and potential for coersion, therefore consent couldn't actually be genuinely given, since consent under threat or implied threat isn't actually consent. Since sex without consent was automatically rape, and rape is an Evil act, the paladin had committed an Evil act and fell.

>Since sex without consent was automatically rape, and rape is an Evil act, the paladin had committed an Evil act and fell.

This is how DM's get shanked in an alley after a game.

did you just assume my wife's gender?

Nope. I'm not giving my DM that kind of ammunition.

can I be married to a Predator?

In Traveller, I played George Kitchenner, a former Star Marine who got married to an NPC shortly before the party got together. It didn't really come up often. He sent her a monthly stipend and the two of them kept in touch through letters. If the game had gone longer, she would have hopefully moved onto the ship with them.

>hunting a Predator

Joke's on you Feminist, I'm a hardcore sub and my wife is a 6'2" MTF male-identifying transsexual. Now apologize and give me reparations for misgendering my wife.

>1 (in college 3.x) - 1st session: DM asks "You're married and have you had sex with your wife?" I respond with yes, and DM says "then your paladin falls". See, my DM was (unbeknownst to me) an *actual* radical feminist. She was of the opinion that women cannot actually consent to sex with men, because since men are generally stronger, there was an inherent power imbalance and potential for coersion, therefore consent couldn't actually be genuinely given, since consent under threat or implied threat isn't actually consent. Since sex without consent was automatically rape, and rape is an Evil act, the paladin had committed an Evil act and fell.
I wish I could pretend to be this stupid.

Oath to a god over rides a personal oath to your family. Plus paladins are supposed to smite evil, she's literally fantasy Hitler. Why would you fall for killing her?

Isn't the last part of predator about arnie hunting the predator?

>implying your party is austrian enough to hunt the predator

Several times. I usually make a point of giving my characters families. Parents, spouses, kids, etc.

I was in a Kingmaker game about 5 years ago where marriage was a huge plot point. Everyone took the leadership trait at 6th, and I made my cohort my character's wife. He was a dwarven wizard, she was a multiclassed barbarian alchemist who ran a brewery. They had wonderful arguments over his adventuring, in that way that only people who have been married for over 2 centuries can really fight.

Another character in that game was a paladin for a god of families and rural towns. He had an obsession with matchmaking, and had spells and abilities that optimized him for it. He was brought in specifically to help the king find a spouse. He himself was unmarried, however. Near the end of the game, he was granted a wish by a trickster fae, for a price. He traded his own chance at finding true love for the ability to divine the true love of anyone else. He eventually married off every character in the game, either to other characters or to NPCs. At the end of the campaign, the GM did this wonderful future history thing where we all learned what became of the kingdom and the families we started for the next hundred years.

Playing one currently actually

He and his wife were part of an adventuring band in the past, but he retired to look after their children and she continued on the adventuring life.

But then someone dropped a temple on her head so he took up his old axe and shield, found a bunch of young-uns with delusions of saving the world and set off on a quest

That's the game.

Joke's on you, nigger, I'm Vassili Rykov.

Yeah. My last character, a necromancer wizard, is married. She's a snake-like tiefling with marilith blood, and her husband is an NPC half-blood yuan-ti barman. It's Sigil so nobody bats an eye.
They've been married 25 years and had 15 children, all of whom left the house in disgust at their parent's displays of affection.

See, my wizard's character flaw is that her husband and her are one of *those* couples. The ones who keep calling themselves sugary names in front of everybody, rub noses and talk in baby talk.
When he's not there, she's a fairly calm and composed intellectual. When he's there, they make everyone gag.

He packs her her adventuring lunches, she's working on making both of them immortal. Because if she's to become a lich some day, as all wizards should, she still wants her husband by her side. The current plan is to have him vampirized.

Patrician taste detected.

Only one of my characters so far. He's a human married to an elf and he has four half-elven children.

What if the party is made up of Hitler clones?

Krieger could do it.

Not good enough. We need to create a spec-ops team of Arnold/Hitler hybrids.

My characters wife died while I was on campaign with the legion, my infant son was taken in by my sister and her family, her husband is teaching the boy to be a blacksmith, a good profession.

that was until I got flung into a dimensional nexus and have no way of returning to them

Ah the daughter died too?

My paladin got married to twin tielfing sisters after they were bought for him by the bard in a city of vices totally not vegas. Turned out we were in a no touching sort of bar yet he still got laid, which just so happened to be their first time, and as we were tearing this city down and giving them the gods this would've left them in a pretty bad place. So I decided the best thing for them was to marry them and have a landsknecht wife type thing going on.

This was surprisingly less magical realm than it looks being typed out.

Go back in time. Murder your college GM.

Hiding behind a mech suit won't save you, you scarred bastard.

Current character is. Several other characters have started married, or got married over the course of the RP.

youtube.com/shakedinanalley

love predator. Easily my favourite movie. Spotted dozens of errors, from the teleporting scorpion to the ridiculous military tactics, but I don't care. The idea of a team of the world's best soldiers being hunted by an apex predator sportsman is EPIC.

I love the role reversal. First the modern man succumbs to the predator, a monster with superior technological advantages and weapons. It's not until Arnold regresses into the caveman era with mud and arrows and log traps that he becomes the predator. The alien's role is reversed and this whole allegory for guerrilla warfare is fascinating. Sprinkle 3 megatons of homoeroticism (you bunch of slackjawed faggots) and you have the mother of all action movies.

*goes off to watch it*

What about a game where you marry a Predator?

depends on how much it's pussy looks like it's mouth.

Name