Other urls found in this thread:

dnd.rem.uz/Advanced D&D (unsorted)/Faiths & Avatars.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=NAzz02gKc_I
youtube.com/watch?v=2zWHPLDHFhE
anydice.com/program/c0f0
youtube.com/watch?v=pF18bHI3iSM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for Cursed treasure.

>tfw you realize Oath of Conquest is just a red pilled version of Oath of the Crown

I am all about cursed treasure. Sadly, I never got to play a character that made cursed treasure on purpose.

Why is the Whisper Bard so good, /5eg/?

Paired with an assassin and we are fucking unstoppable in an intrigue-heavy, mostly urban game.

Arcana Cleric + GFB or Tomelock + GFB?

>Loyal Servant of the Crown: His smile and optimism: gone.

>IRL Game
Get down to business, combat-centric but with a fair amount of RP
>Roll20 Game
Mostly RP, feels awkward to start combat, some sessions are entirely composed of roleplay

Does this happen to anyone else?

>Why is the Whisper Bard so good, /5eg/?
>an intrigue-heavy, mostly urban game.

That's probably why.

Probably because it can only be use in a niche campaign? Most monsters are outright immune to poison damage.

Tomelock gets Shillelagh, Arcana Cleric doesn't.

Yeah, I know, but I think most of the kit is useful in any game, except maybe those that are 90% dungeon crawl.

feat

Speaking of which: what are the best cantrips to poach as a Tomelock?

IRL games are easier to feel invested in, as you're there and part of it, the RP comes easily, and you don't need to do too much.

roll20 is impersonal, so it's easy to overdo it on the RP thinking you're not being invested enough, even if you are.

Combat takes for-fucking-ever on roll20 for my group. While everyone still seems to appreciate the mixture of fighting and roleplaying I'm dreading expanding what was originally going to be a few rooms because I know combat is going to take a while with what I plan on throwing at them.

>Combat takes for-fucking-ever on roll20 for my group
fucking how? You click a fucking button.
I remote in with my group, they play IRL and I use roll20, my turns never take as long as their turns.

Guidance, Shillelagh, Spare the Dying, Sacred Flame. Theurgy if you're into that.

Just discovered Oni in the MM. What creatures work well with Oni? They'll be on a ship though so no monsters that would stick out.

Shape Water. So many use for that spell.

Well when you say 'ship' and 'oni' I think of the umibozu. Some kind of water elemental would be good as a pair, or combining the two into a single creature in some fashion. Fey in general would be a good match for general creepy shit. Reflavor minotaurs to be ushi-oni or uma-oni.

Is it just me or are most spell useless in social situations because of verbal and somatic components? It would be obvious for everyone around when someone is trying to detect your thoughts or charm you...

That's a thing that makes sorcerers good (they have access to subtle spell).

Arcana cleric sacrifice 1 feat slot for better armor, shield and more damage.

> It would be obvious for everyone around when someone is trying to detect your thoughts or charm you...
It would be, but you're a wizard and you don't give two fucking shits if they care if you are casting spells on them.

detect thought can be concentrate, so you can use it beforehand.

Yes, that's the point. Stop trying to solve all of your problems with spells.

>Try to mind control the king
>Every kings guard attack you as they see you casting something

That is why you roleplay as a old senile wizard always babbling arcane words, nobody will notice you casting a spell (or not casting one).

maybe don't mind control the king, then.

>mind control the king
>king says "don't attack, i'm fine, he's just unblocking my chakra paths and activating my almonds, he's a world renowned spiritual healer and I called him here just for this"
>continue to mind control the king

Good, you are being justly punished for being a faggot.

If you cast a spell as a class or racial feature, will you still need material and somatic components?

> Not killing the guard and replace them with their simulacrum beforehand
> Not killing the guard and use animate dead on them before hand
> Not disabling the whole room first (maybe with sleep)
> Not making your way into the king bedroom when there is no one around

Shit rolls. Both parties had trouble hitting each other and this was with reduced AC on the enemy side for reasons that the person most interested in the event forgot five minutes after learning about it. I guess I should take it as they're really considering their options or something.
>resistance
>AC 18
I think I have to use this shit sparingly.

Yes, unless it specifies that you do not need them.

depend. If it's actually casting a spell, then you need components unless the feature state so.

thx but what the fuck are those

>he's just unblocking my chakra paths and activating my almonds
kek

Just different kinds of Japanese monsters. Do some light research.

japanese monsters. the Umibozu is a giant sea spirit, believed to be the spirit of a dead monk. It's harmless, unless you try and speak to it, then it'll get angry and capsize your ship. the Ushi-Oni are cow headed ogres.

Focus on more dynamic combat.
Enemies don't have to fight until they die. Some might have a sense of self-preservation and try running. Some might try to bargain something.
Still try to drain player resources, but the truly scary thing about monsters as opposed to normal creatures is that monsters will fight to the death, showing no fear or remorse and the only thing sating them being feeding them your cold, lifeless body.

Oh, also, I wouldn't say it's wrong to say that a high AC is pretty lame, too as suggested.
It's more fun for players to hit usually, so normally monster ACs aren't too high, though it's sometimes nice to change it up with high AC monsters I guess.

Very Much so.

I almost prefer my weekly roll20 game. The live game puts me in the same room as ugly neckbeards that smell like a swamp, who constantly makes crude remarks, and always attacks first, ask questions never. Literally to the point where I try to speak with undead, to have the fire sorcerer butt in with "BORING, I TORCH THE BODY LEL xd"

The roll20 games go a tad hard on the RP though. Generally very little combat, and a lot of talking and bonding and occasionally even some light ERP.

Feels more relaxing and casual, and it is a lot more fun. If I just wanted to kill monsters, I would go back and play Diablo or something. The average NPC in Diablo 2 had more personality than the PCs my group brings to the table, and combat is a lot more fun too.

It has felt very, very much like that over many campaigns I've done online, compared to those in real life.

I've decided to try a 'play by post' system to see if this changes things - Yes, it'll be slow, but since you can play at any time essentially and this would be practically impossible in real life, maybe it'll work?

Redpill is older than /pol/, plebbitor.

>Oath of Conquest is just an evil version of Oath of the Crown
fixed

Is Deep Rothe qualify as a beast conclave's companion?

Medium. 15 HP. Attack is 7 (1d6+10), unless you count their charging special ability.

It was in an area where both sides have an even playing field, but I plan on giving the guys plenty of things to interact with since it seems like choosing to investigate derelict ruins that the city they're in has been built on. My biggest worry is railroading this group but I feel like I'm doing fine. They're doing whatever as they try to get back home.

I don't plan on throwing too many of these things but I'm still going to make them paranoid about them.

I made a level 1 party fight an animated armor for 23 turns.

But you don't understand, user, jackbooted dictatorship and merciless ruthlesness is okay, if it's for the GREATER GOOD!

Yes. Issue is they have hooves. Good luck getting it to climb a ladder or rope

How would you folks handle, mechanically, a PC attempting to raise a warband of barbarians to lead a charge against what essentially amounts to a big spooky not-Cthulhu and its denizens? In story, he currently wields a pretty famous war hammer whose owner's tomb is a pilgrimage point for wild men throughout the region. In addition, they goofed stuff up bad and basically let a fragment of a great old one into their realm on an island, and it's slowly corrupting the plane.

Thinking of stuff like:
>Persuasion checks or payment or feats of strengths/favours to convert people under his cause in cities, bars, taverns, etc.
>Need a settling place as travelling
as a horde would attract attention and cause logistics issues. Maybe have to clear out a small settlement?
>Find means of employment for his people, or basically pay them to train and sit tight until the battle begins? (This will take a while in game to go down)
>Excess funds towards furnishing the settlement, purchasing weapons, armour, maybe like training personnel?

I know in the lore for faerun barbs are pretty nomadic, so I have this image of the dude seeking leads to find them in the mountains or wherever they nest, and convince them to fight for him, either through money or promise of fame or basic do the right thing. They would show up with a few trusted people or friends from the local area, maybe not as strong, but would still be a body. Normally I would not dedicate a portion of a campaign to one character, but the whole crew is onboard, and think they would really need an army of people immune to charm, fear, and similar to really even stand a chance.

Does anyone have any more suggestions or systems I could look into to make these feel as rewarding, realistic, and balanced as possible?

Most companion can't climb up rope anyway.

>jackbooted dictatorship and merciless ruthlesness is okay
This is not what the oath tells, stop projecting

Fucking Summerfags abound

because the bard is so good regardless of its archetype

Or you could just be like me and ask your DM if you can get a giant wolf spider and not have to put up with that crap. It can just climb up the wall and give zero fucks.

>It was in an area where both sides have an even playing field
It's normally hopelessly against the enemy's side.
>Railroading
It's generally fine to give a plot hook and say 'go over here' and have general expectations for what will happen. As long as you're prepared to improvise if things go off rails, that's pretty much fine.

Probably have a series of 'Prove your worth to get people on your side'
Going about through drinking competitions, bringing back the head of a foe a tribe has long been troubled with, feats of strength and so forth, and maybe have some chieftains or important people (rather than the whole tribe) come with them as they gather more until it's eventually like a barbarian crusade as people realize 'holy shit shit's getting real'
.. Probably have an extra motivation such as 'after we win, with all the barbarians together, we're going to topple the capital of this empire we really fucking hate with heroes in tow' or something. Or divvy up previously corrupted land. Or, heck promises of a great place in the afterlife, I don't know.

So instead of 'manage a warband of settlement' it's more 'rouse a crusade, tell a load of people to all arrive at the same place at the same time of their own accord'.

Maybe take back the holy land along the way.

Would an oil elemental or oil slime take extra damage from fire, or would that only make it more deadly?
Or would it just explode?

>Barbarian Crusade

This pleases me greatly, and having them stay put until the time arrives simplifies things on my end.

>not just strapping your 500+ pound boar companion to the back of the barbarian
Just tell him about all the gains he'll get.

>Douse the Flame of Hope. It is not enough to merely defeat an enemy in battle. Your victory must be so overwhelming that your enemies will to fight is shattered forever. A blade can end a life. Fear can end an empire.
>Rule with an Iron Fist. Once you have conquered, tolerate no dissent. Your word is law. Those who obey it shall be favored. Those who defy it shall be punished as an example to all who might follow.
>Strength Above All. You shall rule until a stronger one arises. Then you must grow mightier and meet the challenge, or fall to your own ruin.
Lawful Evil tyrant - the oath.

Too much damage.

That's why you take one that can at least climb a rope ladder, can fly, or is light enough for you to carry; unless you want to spend 10 minutes strapping your animal into a harness and pulling it up every time you come across a ladder

It wouldn't take extra damage, but it might catch fire and be more deadly, but lose health in the process.
Essentially ragemode.

>500lbs
I'd imagine they are in the 200 region. Maybe 250-300 for a big one

Well considering poison damage is one of the most resisted in the game, my DM allowed it. Half the time the poison is resisted or ignored all together against stuff like undead, but up against enemies it does full damage on, yeah it can do alot of damage (provided they don't make the con save).

I'm starting up a new campaign soon. The premise for the group is they are problem solvers for an organization building a magical train line.

One of my villain groups will be a bunch of terroristic druids trying to prevent what they call an affront to nature.

How can I use druidism for terror, preferably in a comical way?

How do I get my party to deal with the fact that the only available (and acceptable) races are human, halfling, elf, dwarf, half-elf, and half-orc? No more of this tiefling / aasimar / drow shit. I also banned subraces because they are stupid, there is ONE kind of elf and ONE kind of dwarf, they just get to choose where the extra point goes, because I am not dealing with this Forgotten Realms bullshit. Fuck Forgotten Realms, it's a Mary Sue playground with shit lore. The Spine of the World is the only good part of Faerun, cause it's a cool name. But anyway, I am so sick of these fucking faggots who always want to play le edgy XD races like tiefling and drow. But they whinge and bitch when they have to face realistic consequences for picking that race (i.e. being shot on the surface on sight). I mean for fuck's sake you are playing (1) the evil elf race, or (2) a LITERAL FUCKING DEMONSPAWN. Oh, and dragonborn? Fuck no. They see that they think "oh shit it's a weird-looking orc" and kill that shit instantly. Yeah, the guards in the PHB are way too underpowered too. 11 hp? Fuck that shit. I made all the guards Veterans with Max HP and Max Damage so the party would learn how the fucking law works.

I don't know, depends on where your from I guess.There have been boars with recorded weights between 600 and 700lbs, but they're much rarer now due to hunting.

>A blade can end a life. Fear can end an empire.
Literally saying it's better not to just kill people

>Those who obey it shall be favored. Those who defy it shall be punished as an example to all who might follow.
Follow the law, justice and fairness for everyone

>You shall rule until a stronger one arises. Then you must grow mightier and meet the challenge, or fall to your own ruin.
Improve yourself, if you are not the best then you are not fit to rule. Meritocracy

It seems Lawful Good to me

Yes, that sounds like a very good lawful good oath. It's nice of you to provide quotations from Oath of Conquest saying much different things, you know, to provide the contrast.

I'm making a cleric of Ilmater and wondering about a few things.
So Ilmater is about suffering for others, and he believes in pacifism and forgiveness, and that all can be redeemed and forgiven if they truly want to be. Evil can brought back into the light, basically. Even monsters like Orcs and Goblins deserve a chance.
How does Ilmater feel about necromancers though? I mean like ones that make undead servants. For example, Hamun Kost in LMoP. Would Ilmater want to let him live because he isn't hurting anyone and is just researching? Would Ilmater want the zombies dead but allow Hamun to continue otherwise unharmed? I'm sure Hamun would not want to give up his guards.
Also, Ilmater wants his followers to take others' suffering as their own. Would this extend to criminals? For example, if a thief is to be beaten for their crimes, would my cleric want to intervene and stop it from happening?
Anything else about Ilmater would be appreciated. I've read the info on the Forgotten Realms wiki already and there's some good stuff but it doesn't cover a ton.

>Fuck that shit. I made all the guards Veterans with Max HP and Max Damage so the party would learn how the fucking law works.
This is not fucking how the law works at all you drongo.

'If you break the law, superheroes will fly after you and beat your head in'

No, that's not how it works at all.

'If you break the law, the guard will be alerted. They don't want to risk their lives, so they team up with many of them. So many, when you realize it, you'll just have to fucking surrender. Maybe you can down one in two or three powerful hits before they crawl away bleeding, but you'll only have one or two rounds before you're either dead or completely restrained.'

Sure, I feel commoners and guards could use a slight health boost (I place a common man in his prime as essentially a level 3 1d8 hitdice without features and likely a bit lower attribute scores and only having proficiency if they have reason to have it) and a trained guardsman might have proficiency or even experienced guardsmen might get as far as getting extra attack, but they function because they work together against bullshit adventurers. Not because they have superpowers.

Watch out user, you'll trigger the 'No, Oath of Conquest paladins are explicitly evil even though nothing specifically says that and they have to make a seperate mention for 'hell knights' as lawful evil paladins!' anons.

What does the 'CIC' in 'DDALCIC' mean? Dungeons & Dragons Adventurers League...?

>Take a note from real life peta or dehta from wow. Party tries to clear some wooded areas to make way for the train line, druids make said trees come to life and inconvenience them (branches steal items from them, roots trip them constantly, etc.)
>You could also get angry woodland creatures under the druid's control to fall out of the trees and onto party members, whereas they proceed to claw/bite their faces until they get them off.
>Generally the druids sending a message to the party and their organization that they're not welcome in the woods.

I'm thinking about not having the druids as immediately obvious threats. I had a thought for them enslaving/bargaining with a lake troll who would search out workers at night and kill them, and the group has to follow clues to figure out what's happening. Maybe if they can figure out what's coercing the troll, they can renegotiate a better deal with it or free it from its enslavement.

I'm also thinking about making one of the ring leaders an awakened ape that guides summoned/charmed animals by playing conga drums.

Here you go, Illmater is in here on page 75.
When you want Realmslore, look to 1e and 2e material.
dnd.rem.uz/Advanced D&D (unsorted)/Faiths & Avatars.pdf

I have this cool concept for a half-orc Archfey Warlock.

Thing is, I fear it will be shit, given how half-orcs make pretty bad Warlocks.

Any suggestions for making this suck as little as possible?

I know Hexblade would be the way to go, but I gotta have this as Archfey for reasons.

How'd they take it?

I mean, provided they're humans they'll use cover and the like too. Might have a reoccurring enemy or two be creative as well if the group makes one. And yeah, I asked if they could check something out, they want to explore and assumed that there's some labyrinth under the desert and here I am.

>How'd they take it?
Let's just say there was no second session.

>Warlock
Prepare for casting hex every combat and using eldritch blast every round.

Con-created Content. Less than 60 seconds with google, my friend.

Stop hitting enter after every sentence.

No shit.
Thanks for the tip bro

Focus more on utility, I guess. Your EBs will be slightly worse but you can still use repelling blast to good effect in combat, you can take the UA invocation that slows enemies by 10ft if you hit them that archfey get.. And then you'll be all the back liner's friends.

So basically donkey kong. I can dig it. Could also go crypt of the necrodancer route and have him raise undead woodland creatures to fight for him, depending on what your druid's views youtube.com/watch?v=NAzz02gKc_I

Thank you, I appreciate the help.

>CIC
>Con-created Content
What is the 'I' for?

I guess I know what song I will play when that ape druid shows up. That's catchy as hell.

Goddamn that fight's fun.

Crypt of the necrodancer music is catchy as hell. I recommend checking it out on Steam if you get the chance. I think also someone tried to come up with ideas for a CotND styled dnd dungeon crawl a while back.

Yeah. My all time favorite would have to be Necrodancer fight though. Momentum mori is catchy as hell.

youtube.com/watch?v=2zWHPLDHFhE

>lose to Necrodancer
>mocks you and invites you to try again
Welp, looks like I need to start playing again.

>tfw will never finished Aria

I have an idea for balancing combat: No Dual Wielder (DW) feat, no -5/+10 on GWM/SS.

TWF: no bonus action, fighting style gives +1 AC instead of ability modifier to second hand, you can draw/stow both weapons on the same turn, stacks with extra attack.
GWM: merge Savage Attacker feat and remove the "once per turn" text, now it's basically advantage on damage rolls.
SS: increase shortbow and longbow damage from d6 and d8 to d8 and d10 (same as crossbows)

Feat-less 2HF and TWF have the same damage output.
GWM increases the mean, but not the maximum.
PAM increases the damage by 5-7 and costs your bonus action and feat
SS increases damage to the same as Duelist fighting style, along the other bonuses from the feat.
anydice.com/program/c0f0

>Literally saying it's better not to just kill people
It's saying it's more EFFECTIVE not to just kill people. Not necessarily better from moral standpoint.

>Follow the law, justice and fairness for everyone
Follow the law? Maybe.
But it doesnt say anything about justice and fairness. It does speak about exemplary punishment, though, which i don't think is JUST thing. Exemplary punishment is (by definition) harsher than default punishment to set example and discourage others.

>Improve yourself, if you are not the best then you are not fit to rule. Meritocracy
I would agree, if the merit in question was wisdom or something. Strength is important, but it is not the main thing good (in ethical sense) ruler should have.

They added some new DLC recently that added a lvl 5 with new enemies, a new vampire girl character, and a rapping mole boss, so now would be a good time as any to pick it back up.

user with the evil druids could also make an awakened mole bard just for shits and giggles if you want to do more references.

youtube.com/watch?v=pF18bHI3iSM

>I would agree, if the merit in question was wisdom or something. Strength is important, but it is not the main thing good (in ethical sense) ruler should have.
Do you really think that when it says "the strongest should rule" it's implying the ruler should be the one who can lift more weight?!

No. I used word strength and wisdom in purely common meaning, not as attributes.