>mtgtop8.com/format?f=ST
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/standard
>Due to the nature of standard, meta vary wildly depending on environment

>Playing?
>Hating?
>Want to build?
>Personal spice?
>Best sideboard tech?

What's everyone bringing to game day and what are expectations of which deck will be dominant at the Pro Tour and in the meta in general?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/15-07-17-bg-snek/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/27-07-17-mYn-rdw/
twitch
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>almost the entire pro tour is RDW versus something else or another RDW

Since I suspect a ton of people will bring RDW to both the tour and Game Day, as it's cheap and easy, I've tried adjusting my New Perspectives deck a bit.// 60 Maindeck
// 8
5 Forest
1 Island
1 Plains
1 Swamp

// 9 Creature
4 Shefet Monitor
4 Vizier of Tumbling Sands
1 Sphinx of the Final Word

// 9 Enchantment
3 Cast Out
3 New Perspectives
3 Gift of Paradise

// 12 Instant
4 Haze of Pollen
4 Renewed Faith
4 Shadow of the Grave

// 15 Land
3 Sheltered Thicket
2 Fetid Pools
4 Irrigated Farmland
4 Scattered Groves
2 Fortified Village

// 7 Sorcery
2 Razaketh's Rite
4 Traverse the Ulvenwald
1 Approach of the Second Sun

// 15 Sideboard
// 1
SB: 1 Mountain

// 4 Creature
SB: 1 Nimble Obstructionist
SB: 2 Kefnet the Mindful
SB: 1 Angel of Sanctions

// 3 Enchantment
SB: 3 Drake Haven

// 5 Instant
SB: 2 Dispel
SB: 2 Chandra's Defeat
SB: 1 Negate

// 2 Sorcery
SB: 2 Radiant Flames

Opinions on this build?
The Rites help a lot with finding Perspectives when hitting 5 mana to make sure it lands the turn after and the side board is obviously primarily built against RDW with all that removal. Not sure if I'm keeping the angel and the second Kefnet in or to replace them with another Negate and an Essence Scatter.

Most likely some kind of temur emerge or UR control deck. I really liked the deck played by Josh Utter Leyton that was shown on camera for a bit. He played temur emerge with hour of promise. Deep fiend into hour of promise seems pretty sick since it let's you eternalize champion of wits next turn

When do Kaladesh and Aether Revolt rotate out? Looking to build RG Pummeler and I don't want to get fucked in the ass in 6 months

September 2018

Next fall

4th quarter of 2018.

Thanks senpaitachi

Redpill me on RDW, it's cheap, seems to be very competitive and I like to burn things.

Should I go for it to get into MTGO?

Why not, you don't need our approval and like 50% of the pros are playing it

I want to know if there are chances of banning since wizards just bans whatever is the most played every couple of months now.

Also how would it hold up in the next expansions given what has been released so far.

No fucking way it will get something banned, there is not a key card that makes RDW good. Furthermore it's almost completely rotation-proof.
It's impossible to calculate how Ixalan will impact the metagame and it won't hit for a couple of months.

Healthy diversity, I wonder what they will ban next. :^)

>First tournaments
>Surprised when the aggro/burn color gets to aggro unrefined decks to death

I don't know enough about the deck to comment on it, I know turbofog is also a good option vs aggro.
Thinking about building mono-U reservoir myself because it's cheap but I think aggro just steam rolls it.

About to head to FNM in a couple hours. Was wondering if I could get some help/tips with my deck.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/15-07-17-bg-snek/
I played pretty much this list except -1 Rishkar +1 Tracker last week and won the whole thing despite a fuckton of misplays and forgetting triggers. I asked for advice here as I was building it and someone suggested the 3rd Rishkar and possibly adding a Rhonas.

My store's meta is pretty exclusively U/X control and various weenie decks (humans and cats being the biggest threats) going off my experience the past few weeks, so I was wondering what changes I could make considering that. Should I cut my boy Gonti to make room for the 4th tracker and the Rhonas?

>Someone saved my picture
I am moved.
Anyway, anyone experimenting with Imminent Doom? Not sure how to feel about it.

Having played the old NP deck, going down to 3 copies of your central combo piece is suicidal.

Tapping out T5 to tutor for it also seems quite awful because you can't fog and you can't censor or negate on the turn that many game-ending spells resolve.

Imo the deck loses so hard to control decks, of which there are plenty. RDW can be beaten by other strats without sacrificing your winrate to control. Zombies seems like a much better option.

quick someone convince me to go to draft tonight

Don't, HOU has pitiful EV and it doesn't look like it's gonna improve with the PT.

HOU is fun to draft.
Do you want to have fun?

I'll admit it's the most fun draft environment since SOI but it's hard not to get salty when you're staring at

>salty about lottery cards
>because of value and not because the guy is going to rape you with his wrath of god
come on man, you should be used to getting screwed on booster packs by now

Literally every set people say it's fun to draft. Build a cube and draft to your heart's content for free.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/27-07-17-mYn-rdw/

Thoughts, feedback?

On the contrary; BfZ was a trash draft environment. Honestly, so was SoI.

HOU was severly underrated and it's actually a preety nice set. Sure, there are many trash rares, but also preety nice ones like Champion of Wits, Crucible Snek, Hour of Devastation, God Pharaoh's gift, the Mirror, etc.

It's actually preety decent desu

What do you guys think about riddleform? It's a pretty nice card for 2 and the scry really helps in grindy matches.

Seems good. Probably want a Hazoret or two whenever you get your hands on it since you can end up running out of cards in hand really easily.
I'm also a big fan of Soul Scar Mage in mono red aggro. Especially if people you play against are running a lot of AHK gods. Though thats more of a personal preference than a real suggestion. I've never played the HOU version of the deck so it might not be all that great.

I liked BfZ way more than HOUR

worth slotting in a UR prowess type of build

>unrefined
Every other competitive deck got fuckall in HOU except for two uncommons. They're as refined as their going to get, and RDW is still putting up 75-25 vs. the field and an 80% conversion rate.

Went 2-2 with UR Spellboost tonight. I need sweltering suns.

>try to make Scorpion God Mardu work for weeks
>doesn't work
>buy Mardu Reanimator instead
>get the perverse idea to combine them
>works better than Scorpion God Mardu on its own
Pretty fucking rad.

How come I never get to play the deck that everyone is supposedly playing? Anyway, everyone seems to be playing that 2/1 guy that lets you draw 2 because his power is 2. My counterburn deck falls apart to eternalize or things with 4 toughness.

Could just play Cut and go Grixis or something. Or play Disallow/Nimble Obstructionist or graveyard hate to take care of it.
There's plenty of ways.

Been testing this deck out online and at FNM. Went 4-1 last week and 5-0 this week. It's done pretty well.

// 60 Maindeck
// 7 Artifact
3 Aethersphere Harvester
4 Oketra's Monument
// 27 Creature
4 Lone Rider
3 Gisela, the Broken Blade
4 Glory-Bound Initiate
4 Thraben Inspector
4 Selfless Spirit
2 Odric, Lunarch Marshal
2 Oketra the True
4 Crested Sunmare
// 3 Enchantment
1 Cast Out
2 Stasis Snare
// 23 Land
15 Plains
4 Desert of the True
2 Westvale Abbey
1 Shefet Dunes
1 Endless Sands

// 15 Sideboard
// 1 Artifact
1 Aethersphere Harvester
// 1 Creature
1 Odric, Lunarch Marshal
// 8 Enchantment
2 Cast Out
2 Solemnity
2 Gideon's Intervention
2 Authority of the Consuls
// 2 Instant
2 Repel the Abominable
// 3 Planeswalker
3 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

Versus UW or W monument, you've got a great matchup. Generally both decks build up a large boardstate, but once you find either odric or sunmare, the game just ends. Also, the first strike from Gisela and It That Rides crushes them.
Versus RDW, your inherent lifegain makes the entire match an uphill battle for them. It's still a tough matchup, but I'd say it's slightly in your favor.
Versus UR/Bolas control... it's rough. Probably 65/35 in their favor. If they can counter your plays turn 2-4 and Hour of Devastation on 5, it's hard to build up momentum again. Not a complete wash, though. Especially after sideboarding.

I just bought RDW, the only other format I've played is EDH, what do I need to know about this format besides the simple rules stuff?

Uses the last 4 blocks as legsl cards, Reflector Mage, Emrakul, Smuggler's Copter and Aetherworks Marvel are banned and the new meta is going to be known by probably wednesday.

>he forgot the cat

been meaning to make something like this

What's your U/R matchup like? My shops have consistent "I'm a control master lol all I play is control!" kind of autists

twitch tv/videos/162560265
It should be noticed that he managed to get a total of 3 points and didn't make it to day 2, it's likely he didn't win a single constructed match

UR is the worst matchup. It's so easy for them to deny you any sort of board presence till turn 5 when they can wipe any progress you made away with hour of devastation. The only real hope you have is to follow up with a gideon or gideon's intervention on torrential gearhulk. If you're lucky, you'll have Repel in your hand and can protect your stuff that way. But it's not really consistent.

I was thinking of splashing black for Scrapheap Scrounger and some sideboard cards. But it might just be more worth it just to strengthen your other matchups and make them less loseable rather than wasting slots making a 0/100 matchup into a 10/90 matchup. Deck seems nuts against red

>ramunap mirror match
I love this standard

I like seeing the deck but just like Marvel, it gets boring after seeing it in at least 80% of the matches

I feel like Marvel had a lot less interaction though, just slamming energy generators and spinning the wheel for bombs.

What's this weak against? (ignore sideboard)

Stop playing Standard

graveyard hate, magma spray

TCG without a standard equivalent are doomed to deteriorate in the same fashion as Yugioh

You should be thanking us for keeping this game alive

>hi welcome to [generic comic shop], Timmy.
>yes I recommend magic the gathering if you're looking for a new hobby
>let's get you the basics so if you don't like it you aren't down too much money
>that'll be three thousand dollars plus tip

that's $600 thank you very much

don't fall for the torment of hailfire meme, mtggoldfish made an entire deck based around x9-x10ing that shit and still only won half the games, just maindeck 4 fatal pushes so you have a better aggro match up.
Red aggro was the big thing during the pro tour so your LGS will be running wild with it for the next month or so.

Other than that looks bretty fun and I wanna try it.

>Red aggro was the big thing during the pro tour
Still is

exaclty, and the only thing a torment will do is let them drop their hand to enable madness effects or hazoret.

>madness effects
I don't think any red aggro decks are actually using the madness that the gorger provides

>he didn't get his playset of Khenra Earthshaker for 80 cents each

I was sick of seeing RDW in every set up to Khans but I'm glad to see it back.

I would love to but its all my friends play.

got mine for $3
can't wait for Ixalan to shit on RDW so this garbage tanks

>that mono white card that exiles everything attacking you this turn
atleast they get some free lands from it :>)

Theres a lot of good control stuff in Ixalan, like the path to exile boardwipe, but raid is also returning so aggro is still gonna be around, but probably RB instead of monored

lel

Hey /mtgs/

I'm pretty new to magic and am looking for recommendations for cute creatures (ideally green, white are ok)

A deck was built for me (vampire life drain) which helped me learn the basics, and for my first deck creation I'm looking at making one based off of cute animals. Someone let me play with his elves deck which was way too op for a scrub so I'm trying to learn via experimentation

So any cuties? Except cats and unicorns, I've exhausted those avenues

sorry for noob post, I'm not a Veeky Forums regular

crop crasher is still a better 3 drop unless there's some other treasure synergy in ixalan that can be slotted into the deck

eh, unless you have a treasure subtheme I dont see her doing much. Red needs a good onedrop to replace gorger and maybe a better three drop that does soemthing similar to bushwacker

>Legendary

2 at best, probably going to start to put bloodlust inciter once gorger rotated out from standard

Why is there no Ramunap Ruins playmat yet? That art is so good.

flameblade adept is more likely, I think
menace isn't a bad trade off for 1 power

I got mine at 33 cents a pop, along with Abrades at 70 cents.
I also got an invocation Hazoret a while ago for $30, was thinking of getting a playset because I'm a faggot and Hazoret is my pervert waifu, but they're up to $45+ now. Shitty.

Though I'm turbo salty that I literally cannot play standard anywhere. The two LGS in my town have zero standard attendance, the next two closest which are over half an hour away each have had, on average, 3-4 players each FNM for the past month.

I'm pissed. I just want to play magic.

time to load up MGO and suffer the shitty client

Like kitchen table magic? kithkin and fairies are pretty cute.

The problem with MGO is the prices on everything are actually higher than paper for the RDW cards. Hazoret is ten, Chandra is 35, Earthshaker is 6, etc.
I really can't justify spending $250+ on a deck I already have in paper that I put together at a fraction of the cost.

Flameblade has some really stupid potential with bomat couriers where you can just discard your hand of 4-5 cards and if you have multiple flameblades thats a lot of damage and hopefully the one or two cards you get off the courier help you finish the opponent off

damn, I didn't even think about that
that's some fucking synergy

should have thought about it before you ordered your cards, dingus
resell your cards after the price spikes once the pro tour finishes

I am assuming that means casual?

Yeah we play via cockatrice or in the shop

There's a good selection of kithkin in white but I dont know if it's enough for a deck. Not really sure what else could be considered cute.

I was expecting standard to not completely fucking collapse locally.
I guess next week I'll call around to some stores that are even farther away and see what they're up to. Even the Saturday Standard Showdown events are barren; I'm pretty sure all the stores are just cracking the packs and selling the singles.
It's frustrating because I really have no idea why everyone got scared off. The one LGS in particular was very anti-meta; only two or three people got burned by the bans out of 20+. I'm hoping maybe Game Day will attract some people.
Also, Flameblade Adept is better is you're also running Bloodrage Brawler and Fiery Temper. It's less consistent than the current versions of the monored deck, however, but can be more explosive.

>all top8 is aggro decks

as a control fag maybe it's time to step out from standard FNM and focus on other stuff

So at my LGS I guess they haven't been price tracking.

I picked up:

4x Abrade for 0.37 each
1x Fraying Sanity Foil for 7.49
1x Torment of Hailfire Foil for 3.74
1x Razaketh, the Fouldblooded Foil for 10.49
1x Neheb, the Eternal Foil for 7.49
1x Neheb the Eternal for 3.74

Total = 34.43

The Razaketh is the riskiest buy but I could flip it for double right now...

Also I could grab a Bontu's Last Reckoning foil too right now for 7.49. Should I do it?

Is fatal push worth running in a grixis control deck? I've been looking for some way to make it more than a Izzet deck with a bolas finisher, have a hard time finding good cards that need the black mana to fit in alongside everything else.

Fatal Push
Unlicensed Disintegration
To the Slaughter
Grasp of Darkness
Transgress the Mind
Kalitas, Traitor of Get
Liliana, the Last Hope
Noxious Gearhulk

Those are cards I've used in my Grixis Control deck.

I think someone will figure out a good control build, everybody is just memeing UR hard but losing to RDW because it has no lifegain. I expect a control deck with either white or black simply because they have access to lifegain.

Why are MTGfags sociopaths?
>: Investigators learned the two men were playing Magic the Gathering trading card game when an argument broke out.
>The discussion escalated and led to Creech hitting the man in the face with a rubber mallet and stabbing him seven times.
>The victim had stab wounds all around his neck and also on his cheek.

Black gets you...what, exactly? Collective brutality maybe? Essence extraction? Alms of the vein?

If you want lifegain, you either want white for oketra's last mercy or green for life goes on.

Gifted Aetherborn
Noxious Gearhulk
They're far better options for control decks than whatever else green would give

>inb4 bannings again

MUH DIVERSITY!

>requires disposable income to be competitive, and generally speaking the capitalist economic system is built to reward the morally bankrupt
>centers around tournament play, which in every hobby is a cesspool where RAWfags, rules lawyers and WAACfags of every strain breed and infect other, less cancerous activities
>often played by teenagers, a state of being that ought to be classified as a mental illness everyone who survives their first 12 years is subjected to

I've been getting close to having a really solid Grixis Control deck. Several 3-1s where the losses have always been draw luck problems.

Haven't worked with Hour of Devastation yet but I'm working on it.

>banning a bunch of shitty red cards that are only good when paired together and that will only be relevant for two months

WotC isnt THAT dumb...are they?

i haven't played magic in like 10 years but i like card games and the free ones aren't good enough.
Should i buy MTGO?
to play exclusively Penny Dreadful because that's my budget

They let Monte Cook apply MTG concepts to a cooperative tabletop RPG.

>ur prowess build

I'm brewing ur prowess right now. What are some good cards for the build?

>that face is 31
i'd card him

nigga that was at fnm

You can't ban a single thing out of the red deck. It's just really good in a control meta that has fostered a Pass, Pass, Pass start to G1. A pile of hasties w/ unblockable is shoving peoples shit in.

So I think my LGS wasn't following pricing very closely. I picked up:

4x Abrade @ 0.37 each
1x Torment of Hailfire Foil @ 3.74
1x Fraying Sanity Foil @ 7.49
1x Razaketh, the Foulblooded Foil @ 10.49
1x Neheb, the Eternal Foil @ 7.49
1x Neheb, the Eternal @ 3.74

34.43 altogether. Not sure about the Razaketh, but market says I could double my investment right now if I wanted to. There's also a Bontu's Last Reckoning Foil for 7.49 right now. Should I cop it?

dude i was playing red sligh the second cartouche of zeal became standard legal. boss sligh was gas, this deck is gas. shop goons are gonna call me a netdecker despite me shredding them with falkenrath gorger and bomat courier for the past several months, though.