Okay, Veeky Forums, we've all been over the 'Is it evil to kill the young of an always-CE race.' argument...

Okay, Veeky Forums, we've all been over the 'Is it evil to kill the young of an always-CE race.' argument, but I'm curious how the alternative would be enacted.

Let's say your character was given a CE-race baby (orc, gnoll, whatever) and had to try their honest best to raise it to be, at the least, a neutral and productive member of society- Something that could hold a simple farm job and not murder, cannibalize, or steal, even if you're not there to stop them and there's nothing otherwise restricting them (so no chains, cages, magical collars or domination, etc.)

For the sake of the discussion, let's say the incentive to do so is something worthwhile to your character regardless of their alignment.

Does said race hear murder whispers from it's murder god?

United Kingdom of Arulia tried giving orcs citizenship and starting integration programs. They are not cannibalistic savages now, but still commit most of violent crimes there while being a minority.

You don't punish people for wrongs they have not committed yet.

So slaughtering them beforehand is morally objectionable unless you don't consider these beings as sentient beings capable of controlling their own thoughts and actions.

As for the actual OP question, it's obvious.

Turn those violent urges into something to be used for the benefit of benevolent causes; nothing knows how to take on Gnolls like a Gnoll; instill it with a strong sense of justice and point towards evil.

>neutral and productive

Well shit.

Law enforcement would be ideal, I suppose. Since they're less intelligent they'll be less questioning of authority and therefore less open to being undermined by rebellious movements.

"Evil" races were a mistake.
if they cant uphold a society, how come they are still around with humans as a rival in their ecology?

Personally, I'd channel their destructive impulses into creative arts.

>So slaughtering them beforehand is morally objectionable unless you don't consider these beings as sentient beings capable of controlling their own thoughts and actions.
Several can't. They're literally creations of evil gods with evil thoughts beamed into their heads.

Evil races don't have children.

Adults pop-out fully developed and evil.

Boom, look how easy that is?

Because magic.

Also it depends on their brand of evil. In our history we can see evil societies working rather well until people started to realize how evil and shitty they were. Remove the whole "people don't like to be a part of an evil society" and suddenly you have a fully-functioning evil civilization.

Because "evil" doesn't mean murderkillrapedeath. It means you are selfish and indifferent to how your consequences affect others.

>Because "evil" doesn't mean murderkillrapedeath.
>he hasn't played 5e
Get with the times gramps

This is a good point to consider. If they're hearing murder-whispers, free them from those first.

But that just makes it even harder to convert them into productive neutral members of society.

>Gnoll
>Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
>orc
>Alignment: Often chaotic evil

Neither of these are always evil. Most humanoid creature are not always evil. Always evil is the realm of Outsiders, Undead, and Aberration. I think the only humanoid that if you read its full write up is alway evil in effect is the Derro.

>Derro are afflicted by a form of racial madness, which most often manifests as delusions of grandeur coupled with an overpowering urge to inflict torment on other creatures. Derro are capable of holding their murderous impulses in check for short periods of time in order to cooperate with creatures of other races, but such arrangements rarely last more than a few weeks. Of course, no derro is capable of recognizing that he is out of his mind.

/thread

It's not that the idea of "evilmind" races is in and of itself bad, it's just that there are way too many of them.
Illithid, Beholders, outsider fiends, Tiamat-spawn dragons, I can understand being always evil by the very nature of how their minds function. Goblins, gnolls and gremlins and gorgons I think should be allowed free will by the setting. It's no fun having a Medusa waifu if she's not willingly evil, you guys.

Why would you want a creature of pure evil to be a part of your society?

You would have to accept it's evil nature as tolerable.

Which it isn't.

Because it's evil.

It's the premise of the thread. I suppose you might have missed it, reading too fast. To quote the OP, "let's say the incentive to do so is something worthwhile to your character regardless of their alignment."

I wouldn't say that there are way too many of them. People are just really bad at making the world expansive enough for all of them to exist. Orcs wouldn't be where gnolls are, etc. etc.

And I'm saying that if the race is evil then it cannot be done without enslavement devices or lying to a degree that it would only exist for the sake of wacky hi-jinks.

5e was a fucking mistake.

>nothing knows how to take on Gnolls like a Gnoll
DM'ed a campaign that had a character with this basic premise. Shit was awesome.

I miss 4e too but gnolls were the same, user.