Show me all the times Red had the best card in a 5-color cycle

Show me all the times Red had the best card in a 5-color cycle.

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-forum/commander/staple-mono-red-edh-card/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/best-zombie-deck/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Young peezy
>Better than Snapcaster, Dark Confidant, Goyf, or even Thalia
It's easily the worst "busted 2-drop". And don't even think about posting Harsh Mentor, that shit sees zero play.

>a card designers 4 year old scribbled all over their tablet mid design
>and then we printed it like that

I guess you could do an honorary award to Lightning Bolt, since Ancestral Recall is banned in everything.

Can you really call it part of a cycle, then?

Healing Salve, Giant Growth, Dark Ritual, Ancestral Recall and Lightning Bolt is the cycle of 1 for 3.

I guess Dark Ritual is stronger in some scenarios.

I'm going to have to say Dark Ritual is the stronger of the two, since there was a moment where they thought "yeah, we could bring back lightning bolt", but were never crazy enough to try and bring back DR.

that's mostly because in most formats if you bring back dark ritual you have to make every black card thinking about dark ritual
you can never make a black card too strong if dark ritual is in the format
lightning bolt is strong and versatile but clearly not as broken as dark ritual

>lightning bolt is strong and versatile but clearly not as broken as dark ritual

Hence why I think DR is the stronger of the two.

Well, Lightning Bolt has also been relegated into the "too strong to bring back" category now.

They got burnt the last time they reprinted bolt.

Debatable, as with most things, but a good argument could be made for Seal of Fire.

This or Sylvan Messenger. Both see pretty good play in their respective decks.

Mega-cycle, still counts.

Is this card as hilarious in multiplayer as I think it is?

Abso-fucking-lutely. It rarely lasts long though.

Why is Eidolon never considered "busted red two drop?"

See below for why:

>all these wtf cards
Stop it or i will build yet another wacky red deck that thrashes anyone in casual but costs the same as a low end legacy deck

tappedout.net/mtg-forum/commander/staple-mono-red-edh-card/

I never really thought about it, but with a big group, there's something satisfying about targeting the player right before you and just dealing him 15 damage before he gets a chance to untap.

And it is reasons like that, that the cycle of Forces don't usually make it a round to come back to you. Verdant Force is worse if they are running Seedborn Muse and Gaea's Cradle.

*ahem*

You were saying?

(checks price of each of the three)
R: ~20 cents
B: ~2.50
W: ~5.00

Yep, the white one is best.

Cost on the secondary market don't necessarily mean it is the best.

This kills someone if you have tainted remedy out right?

Probably why it's worth more, that kind of hilarious combo potential and the ability to gain 40 life means I'd put it in any EDH deck that could fit one

Also pic related.

If I gain 3 life this turn...
And then the opponent play this
Will I loose the life I just gain plus 3?

You'll first gain 3, then lose 6 for a total of -3 life.

Where I'm looking, Blue is the best.

The black also just got a reprint last year (and has like 5 other printings), whereas the white one was last printed in 10th and only has the two printings.

Nope.

The white one is part a of a number of simple two card combos that will kill someone in a single turn.

lynx is far stronger

>better than Yosei who nearly gives you an extra turn

oo that's hot bait

wonder was arguably better

This one is pretty straightforward as most of the other ones are real bad, I guess polluter is probably a distant second.

What would a modern version of that cycle look like?

Yeah, those two makes it read "Target player loses life equal to his life total." Unless something like Erebos is on the board (might be wrong about Erebos, unsure about that kind of thing.)

>distant second
I would argue that polluter is better, and definitely not distant if it is second. most goblin decks don't need or want the incinerator, while the polluter could just end games for a slower archetype that could use the cycling guy anyway.

Kokusho is the correct answer here. Ryusei is fun, but Kokusho wins games.

Don't forget that Polluter has the added bonus of Unholy Grotto for repeated burning with its card advantage.

hell, yosei should be in the running too. he and keiga saw plenty of action back in kamigawa. Jugan is the undisputed loser of the cycle though, so there's that.

W Gain 5 Life
U Scry 5
B mill 5
R create a 5/5 artifact creature until end of turn
G Shuffle 5 cards from grave to library

No Mention of Hour of Devastation yet?

>Jugan
Being one of the only monogreen flying creatures is a point in its favor though.

Wrong, Keiga the tide Star is far and away the best.

the only point, and a 5/5 flyer still isn't worth the triple G, 6CMC most of the time.

It's neck and neck, honestly.

what decks play polluter? it's sometimes an alternate wincon but incinerator is a staple in legacy goblins

this card is a pain in the dick

Polluter is a staple in zombie tribal Commander decks.

>Colourless card
>Win condition of a green deck
C U C K E D

>EDH
>Legacy

Do you see the difference here?

>what decks play polluter?

This was the question asked. Not "What Legacy decks play Polluter?" Had that been the question asked, EDH wouldn't have even come into it.

A quick search does show that some Legacy zombie decks do indeed run Polluter.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/best-zombie-deck/

Haste creatures are great, win games out of nowhere.
Reckless One
Magnivore
Volcanic Dragon from the Mirage cycle
Rorix Bladewing is the only one in his cycle of pit fighter legends to see any tournament play
Goblin Warchief is best Warchief because it grants Haste.

Rakavolver is the best Volver, although that's not saying much since it's still outclassed by Lightning Angel

Magus of the Moon is by far the best of all 3 cycles of Magus. Magus of the Disk is distant second since you can put Darksteel Plate on it and blow up the world over and over.

If Red-Centered gold cards count, Numot the devastator is best of the Planar chaos dragons (assuming you're not playing commander, in which case Vorosh is probably better, but we're going by 60-card for everything in this post)
Jund Charm beats the other Alara Charms too

Barbarian Ring beats the other Odyssey lands, Cephalid Coliseum is worthless outside Dredge decks and is clear card disadvantage, in any normal deck you'd consider Barbarian Ring most useful.

Flame Javelin is best in its cycle

>Cephalid Coliseum is worthless outside Dredge decks
Clearly this nigger does not play EDH where Notion Thief and Consecrated Sphinx make the card hilarious.

All of the Alara Heralds are terrible, but Dragon's Herald is the only one likely to win you the game since Hellkite Overlord isn't terrible and at least has Haste. If Hellkite Overlord counts as the "Red" one of its cycle, it counts as best for its cycle too.

Red seems to be best if the cycle in general is kinda bad, the red one is at least usable while the others are all either overcosted or useless.

Magus of the tabernacle is way scarier than moon against most decks.

>Clearly this nigger does not play EDH where Notion Thief and Consecrated Sphinx make the card hilarious.

And that's one of the reasons I love EDH. Cards that wouldn't or haven't seen play in other formats often can have a home in EDH.

I mentioned in the post earlier when talking about Numot the Devastator, no I don't play Commander/EDH/whatever. Everything in my post is for 60 card decks.
60 card casual is better than commander

Oh, it is not. Tabernacle only fucks you if you play with creatures (that's most decks in general but creatureless stuff is out there, many combo decks and some burn decks come to mind)

Magus of the Moon pretty much shuts down anyone with a wallet.

oh fucking shut up already, so you hate the design, they tried a new thing fitting to a theme and wasn't popular, whopdie fucking doo

hi maro

Skirk Fire Marshall.
God, Onslaught Block was so much fun.

>They got burnt the last time they reprinted bolt.
Topkek

Also surprised no one said Purphoros

Thassa is better

>Pruphoros
Oh shit, I cast Firecat Blitz for the win, yes Purphoros is the best God. Period.

Purph > the rest, as a commander
Erebos > the rest, in the 99 of commander decks
Thassa > the rest, in 60 card formats

What was so bad about reprinting bolt?

I always forget how bad these look. So glad I stopped playing when they announced this dumb kangz shit

So good in EDH. Good times

The problem is that in any format where Bolt is legal, it completely warps the format around itself. Does a creature with CMC 3 or more have 3 or less toughness and not create immediate value? Then it is worthless.

Its ability to hit players also gives it even more punch than removal, even removal as good as Tragic Slip or Fatal Push. Its an incredibly powerful and disruptive card, and I really don't think we're going to see it in another Standard legal set any time soon.

Bolt doesn't break EDH or Vintage

It's already legal in EDH and Vintage, so there's no reason to reprint it.

You said it warps any format it's legal in around itself. How does Bolt warp EDH or Vintage around itself?

I'm not him. You guys were talking about why reprinting bolt would be bad. Obviously the answer is going to be regarding Standard, because whether it's reprinted or not has no affect on EDH or Vintage. You seemed confused so I tried to clear it up. Sorry.

I wasn't discussing anything with him. Just pointing out that the claim he made about Bolt "warping" every format is bullshit.

Well, sorry to interrupt your non-discussion, man.

The context was standard reprinting. Calm down faggot.

Maybe you shouldn't spout bullshit and instead think about what you're typing before you hit submit

Wasn't even me. You're the only one in the thread who doesn't understand context. Again, calm down faggot.

The context has nothing to do with it. It's clear as day what he (you) meant and it was complete bullshit

OK, so not every format. EDH is a singleton format with oversize decks so its not a reliable element of a deck, and Vintage the power level is high enough (looking at FoW) for it not to be as opressive. Happy?

The quote on the card is from the dude who can create permanent token copies of creatures.

One of these beauties in EDH is hilarious. Two is hysterical.

t.Maro