media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread

What's your favorite Sorcerous Origin or Arcane Tradition?

Other urls found in this thread:

dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/sageadvice_feats
whothefuckismydndcharacter.com/
mapeditor.org/
opengameart.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>that doesn't stop anyone from playing mountain dwarf fighters
What the fuck else am I gonna do, NOT play a Dwarf?

Hill dwarf supposedly is the conclusion most would make

Of course, not you play the fuck out of that dwarf.
Just making a point that redundant proficiencies is a stupid reason to disparage a character.

IDK, I like my fighters with +2 strength.

This 17 Str (18 once I take something like Shield Master) ain't for show.

Does the trove not have Princes of the Apocalypse, or am I just blind?

Just blind.

Oh, it's under elemental evil

Thanks friend

Is there any ruling for hiding things with mage hand legerdemain? If the invisible mage hand can completely palm an item, is the item also invisible?

>is the item also invisible
No. Mage Hand isn't light-bending, it's just force.

Wild Magic

I'm considering multiclassing my Necromancy Wizard with Undying Warlock. He just reached Wizard 5. So, flavor speaking, how could I go about explaining this begetting of am Undying patron?

Your patron reaches out to you after taking notice of your potential with promises of tapping into your potential even further.

Guys, two questions, please.

What is D&D next? I only just got into D&D 5e, and I'm seeing some D&D Next stuff. Is it a new edition, an expansion, or something different?

Second question. I've DM'ed once before for a group of friends. It went well! This Saturday I'm going to DM "Wolves of Welton" for a bunch of average nerds I haven't met before. How fucked am I? What should I do with new groups?

I figured something easy like that could be done.

D&D Next from what research I've done was the codename for 5E during development.

I just bought the upcoming DM screen. Did I dun goofed? They say they'll send it around September 18th.

Guys, where do I find some decent pre-made characters? I want to run a lvl 3 adventure for new players and just giving them characters is easier and faster. Are there any good resources for that? I've found some ok stuff on google, but nothing that strikes me as great.

write down every character in star wars episode 4
roll a dice to decide which backstory to blatantly steal

D&D Next was just 5e's codename. Same shit.
I dunno much about new groups, but if they're new to the system a session zero might be beneficial.

A character was entered into a contract with a Fey Lord.

The character died and was reincarnated as a character of the opposite sex.

Would the Fey Lord know that it's still them?

probably

There's some prebuilt characters in the trove. They're comparable to the level 1 ones that come with the starter set and have sheets that go up to level 10 or something. Just grab the appropriate level

Depends on the terms of the contract, you know if you owed money/favors they'd have some way to track you down.

>a dice

The Lord gave the guy a pair of weapons to act as his champion, and told him to bring a certain book to him, but no real contract was signed.

I wanted to ask because the player is trying his hardest to get out of the deal with the guy and is hoping this sudden genderbend will save him from being an Archfey's minion.

Is now champion of Lord's magical realm. For real though, s/he's still carrying the weapons? No chance of escaping shit.

These are great, thanks for the tip!

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid any magical realm stuff.

The player may be able to use his deception to convince the Lord that she actually killed the previous wielder. That may be interesting.

What level would you expect to fight something like this?

Humanoid-Human
LE
HP:145
AC:20
Move Speed 30ft
Darkvision
Resistance to non magic weapons
Immune to Fire and Necrotic Damage
Immune to mind altering magic
2 attacks with +10 to hit
2d6 greatsword+8(+1d6 fire& 1d6 necrotic)

May Also make one spell attack per turn, which may be combined with a melee attack.

Hold Person/ 3 a day (15 to save)
Fire Ball/ 3 a day 8d6
Contagion/ 1 a day

Leg. Actions:
Can choose to succeed on one failed save (once)

Stats
22 Str
12 Dex
16 Con
16 Int
18 Wis
16 Cha

Who's planning on buying XGE?

I am. I buy every splatbook so my DM doesn't REE about things he forgot exists.

I'm planning on downloading the pdf whenever someone uploads it.

Same

A friendly guy I know online preordered it for me via Amazon. Even if he hadn't I would have scrounged together pennies to order it anyway, I'm excited for it.

If you don't want to play a straight pact warlock and roll with something more like the suggested GOOlock fluff, you could have tapped into something while researching a "dead" god - I imagine most appropriate patrons spend a lot of time dead or inactive but should still be great wells of power.

Setting up random encounter tables. I want there to be a very very rare chance for the party to be noticed by something like a Roc - a sort of apex predator of an area that is certainly too powerful for the party to handle, but it's in an area where they would be able to take cover and wait it out.

But I don't want to give them full exp for just hiding in a cave and slinging arrows/cantrips at it and I'm sure they're going to say something like "The Roc gave up and flew away so we get exp right?"

What do I do in response to this?

It really depends on what's in the book. I'll almost never buy a book if it's only for some character options, but if it has something useful I would like to keep around for reference reasons I will

Storm or Dragon, not that there's many Sorc options that are official yet. Hoping for Phoenix.

This could also stop your GM from fucking you if they're that kind of person

Have them find treasure/adventure in the cave. Then they won't mind not getting exp.

They seem to be wanting to improve their mechanics and genuinely listen to feedback. This is a lot better than most rpg companies.
Definitely.

What is this D&D Beyond I keep hearing about? Are they planning a new edition already?

No, tard

No, it's an online resource WOTC has made, except it's fucking awful and there's free ones out that are way better than it

There's a free version that just has the basic rules
There's subscription stuff that gives you some benifits
You still have to buy all the books online, for the same price. Even if you already own them

Don't be like that. Although seems like a troll.

Orcpub2 is a lot better.

I made this Sword as a magical weapon for my party's Ranger as his "magic item."

Thoughts? Too weak for something that he'll have to keep for the whole campaign? Too strong for this level?

Why didn't wizards just hire the orcpub people since they're clearly better at making stuff.

*wielder

It's not super weak I guess? Seems like it could be made a magical type weapon or inherently without attunement? I mean it's made of magic, can they ever be NOT magical even if unattuned? Fire immunity is also just asking for trouble generally.

Because Curse/Twitch has better branding and marketability

So... We want to play Rage of Demons with our group but we aren't sure if we should do LMoP first for the introduction or just go straight to the campaing

At the moment we have a Barbarian, a Bard and the last player still hasn't decided

Any adviced? Should we start with another campaing instead?

I'm confused. It says you get fire resistance at character level 10, but you're resistant to fire regardless with Fire Protection?

I used pointbuy to make a human wizard with 8 16 16 8 8 16 stats (i know im a dirty minmaxer), would it be worth getting the light armor feat or the medium armor feat and moving some of that dex into something else.

If an enemy such as a harpy, has an effect where if you make the save you're immune to the effect for 24 hours, does that mean you're immune to ALL of them?

For example, 1/4 harpies uses it's song, someone saves. Is that person immune to all of their songs now or just the one?

How experienced are you all with 5e or with rpgs?

5e is fun as fuck to play, but the adventure modules do require a fair bit of prep.

sorcerer, not wizard

I'd throw that sword off of a fucking cliff within a week of finding it with that personality.

Wizard with 8 Int?

I'd say no to Light Armor. There are better options for your limited feats than something you can exceed with a first level spell.

>the sword chooses it is weilder
>will help it is cause
Learn how English works before you try to make your shitty homebrew

>DM had my lock form a pact with a Great Old One
>Paladin found out and is constantly telling me that he'll cut me down the first chance he gets so that my 'heresy' doesn't spread among the party
>My Warlock keeps hearing voices in his head

One of our quests involved clearing out a cult in an old church, the second she saw me the leader of the cult fell to her knees and called me "Master". This is going to be a fucking ride.

Sounds pretty cool, as long as the paladin isn't a super dick.

Sorry, the level unlock section is when you get each feature. In my head its that the Weapon is bonding more strongly with you and letting you have access to said features.

I mean, the fire Immunity does't hit until level 19. At that point you're kinda OP no matter what. Being Immune to fire is icing.

As for the Attunement, yeah it would certainly still be Magical without that.

This isn't meant for a murderhobo party, obviously.

Sorry that 2 out of place apostrophes ruined the whole thing for you.

>Sorry that 2 out of place apostrophes ruined the whole thing for you.
If you can't write properly, you clearly aren't competent enough to make decent homebrew. I also read the rest of it and yes, it's garbage.

DM'd for the first time today. Set my party up against a lizardfolk shaman, lizardfolk and crocodile. Then removed the lizardfolk and croc when I realized shaman could summon an allosaurus with conjure animals TWICE.
why was it so fun to terrify my party with this?

k

What is scary about it? Just hit fhe shaman a few time and his oncentration will drop.

Does the first level spell you get from magic initiate get added to your known spells? Say I'm a bard who gets mage armor through the feat, and have already used the free casting, can I cast it again by using a spell slot?

Int I suppose. We have played other settings and already finished our first campaign (a d20modern conversion to 5e) so we want to give a try to an official campaing

Only if you choose your own class spell from MI. Otherwise, you can only cast it through special slot.

dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/sageadvice_feats

Nope. If you pick the same class as you, you can, but if you pick a different one, you can only cast it once per day.

Fixed the grammar and spelling, I think.

Can I get some more substantial mechanical feedback? Are the properties still unclear?

the shaman was a cheeky fellah and was far enough away that only some long range attacks could hit and they kept missing. The battle field was kinda pitted against them so they didnt get close until the first allosaurus was down.

In a Conan adventure, while on his own he is stalked by a pack of lions that he cannot fight alone. This leads him into a dark, strange castle to take cover, and the lions fear to give chase within.
Your players flee the Roc, fine, they escape. Now they have something else to find in the cave/temple/castle/whatever that they took cover in. The fleeing should be an introduction to the adventure, not the encounter itself.

Why do you list the wielder as gaining fire resistance twice, you know they don't stack right?

Where is it listed twice? It goes from Resistance at level 10 to Immunity at level 19...

Feature unlock and the list of benefits on the left.

Or is the left side just a better description of everything the sword eventually gives you?

Yes. The Feature unlock is the "Crunchy" part. It's to the point. The left side is the fluffy description of all that.

The wording of the harpy's song from what I'm looking at say "Immune to THIS harpy's song" (emphasis mine).
So you're only immune to the harpy that sang to you already, is what I'd say.

What subclasses are you expecting in Xanthar's Guide to Everything?

give me a character concept to run with, ideally non-evil

Go nuts until you find something you like
whothefuckismydndcharacter.com/

dope, thanks

A revised Ranger

A crappier fighter

A overpowered Wizard

I asked in the last thread about my valor bard with fighter 2 splash, should i take a feat or just max my Cha and Dex?

What alignment is this answer Veeky Forums?

I'm fucking addicted to making new characters, so it's a preorder for me.

Which is something I rarely do, so I hope it's worth it.

Chaotic Neutral

Tell that fucking Paladin that his class no longer gives a shit about gods and he can take that heresy and fuck off. Timeless Squid Daddy from Beyond the Veil of Reality is way cooler than whatever birthed-by-consensus-reality dicklicker he might worship for reasons other than spell gain.

It does sounds like the paladin is a super dick though...

help
i see boxes in my dreams

A Holy Avenger is preferable.

Don't let it bother you, user. Instead, you should be more philosophical about this sort of thing. Like Socrates.

>Tell that fucking Paladin that his class no longer gives a shit about gods and he can take that heresy and fuck off
The class is no longer REQUIRED to give a shit about gods. Plenty of paladins can and do act in the name of a deity.

Is GOO generally considered the best patron?

Is there a way to build a badass sword wielding Gish warlock if your dm doesn't allow hexblade? Will it be shit?

Is this RPG Maker?

That would be a pretty cool tool for detailed map building...

Sounds like his DM doesn't know not to hand one character the Sword of Baby Killing, then give another player the Sword of Baby Killer Killing

Do you use any apps to help with DMing? I just found Inspiration Pad Pro, and I'm actually able to get some use out of random tables now.

Aside from that I use a spellbook app and Companions 5e. Anyone else got some that help?

a lot of these features seem very minor, healing 2d8 at level nine really is a small amount, and then upgrading to 2d10 only averages a little bit more health, not very interesting
if you look at the other sentient magic weapons, or just artifacts, in the book they are much more powerful and interesting
the 2d8 healing could easily be 4d8, then upgrade to 4d12
just give straight up fire immunity at level 10, its not really a big deal, skip resistance
around level 19 characters are getting extremely powerful abilities from their classes, so the weapons should have something on par with that, immunity to non-magical weapons, or just pick a 3rd level spell and let them cast it at-will
also you should focus on the image of the weapon, it should stand out

Check this out mapeditor.org/
I mean yes, you could use libre software andcompletely open map format in actual codey software stuff... but you don't have to. Also would probly have to pick up some free assets from like opengameart.org/

A sentient weapon should probably have better awareness of its surroundings than 10ft. The DMG sentient weapons have awareness of their surroundings to 120ft. If you don't want your custom sword being too aware; make it 60ft,