TCG General

ITT we talk about TCGs, and group card games. Currently, it's mostly Yugioh, but more things are welcome.

PREVIOUSLY IN /tcgg/

Board games and table tops are welcome there too.

in case you ever wanted to know what there is here
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_collectible_card_games

Wanna talk to a bunch of nerds at once?

Here: discord.gg/MEGakH3 (currently 14 people in it.)

>What's your main TCGs
>How many have you played?
>What do you wish came back?
>What do you wish had a game?
Me:
Any one think that a splatoon TCG or a deck building/LCG game would work?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=H9c8L5Mhx3Y.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What's your main TCGs?
Yugioh
MTG, Pokemon, Duel Masters, Kaijudo, Digimon Fusions, Force of Will, Cardfight Vanguard, Hearthstone, Shadowverse, Naruto, and DBZ Panini.
Duel Masters, since it is my favorite TCG.
Nothing really.

Has anyone played the Final Fantasy TCG? How is it? I've been thinking of getting into it.

>last
I play currently and I love it a lot. Since you played Naruto, you will like the structure of this game. Well, the battle system.
When you ATK you can form teams but at the end of the damage step, you have to separate the teams at the end of the battle.
Even the way you give points is the same, except you have to turn it over and depending on if it's an EX card or not determines what you do.

How to play a character is super easy too. Each card is worth 2 of its colour. In order to play a character, you have to ditch how ever many it needs.
So if sephoroth says 6, you need 1 of that colour say purple and 5 other of whatever. However, light and dark cards are only worth to each other. So you cannot use them as colourless to anything else.

Which is a bit confusing. But once you play a few rounds, it's really easy. All cards are paid for the same (currently). Lets hope this game stays that way.

Is power granularity just a problem in MtG derivatives or do most TGCs have issues with it?

Sounds really cool. I'll check it out.

can you give me an example to work with?

In MtG and its derivatives, the gap in "value" between something that costs 4 mana and something that costs 5 mana is humongous, so any card design with a value between those two costs gets screwed unless you jump through hoops to balance it by giving it more abilities.

i wish I could explain, im sure someone will show up to help out

Anyone looking forward to Dragoborne? I am intrested as its mechanics sound similar to L5R, and that it replaced Luck & Logic (Bushiroad's ADHD killed it too soon, I just wanted the Hinas) in the English speaking world. Here is a hilariously poorly voiced promotional trailer for your perusal.
youtube.com/watch?v=H9c8L5Mhx3Y.

>similar to L5R
>Have to have 2 decks
>over complicates the game for no reason
>has to do something like 10 things in 1 turn
pls no

I thought it looked cool when I saw it, but it's a Bushiroad game so I don't have much hope for it.

Same here. I missed out on the demo that they were running at my store, so I will see if anyone actually plays it to give a final verdict. If no one actually plays it then I am fine with skipping it. Webxoss has me set for nip TCGs for the time being.

bumping for interest.
but let's be honest here, TCGs are not the way to go, at least now that there's more friendly consumer bussiness model.

Actually if done right it's completely opposite.
You have to know your crowd.
At the store I goto, we mostly play Pokemon.
I know of stores that play primarily MTG or Yugioh.

You have places that will sell singles and they make a good bit of cash on it. But you have to (again) know your clientele

how so? I mean like it or not the use of rarity in cards will end making certain cards more valuable than others. the demand of X card against the offer make prices variate making very easy to make a deck or very hard if you're looking for certain key pieces.
the only good thing I can think of TCG/booster bussiness model is that it allows draft to be a thing.

Even then some LCGs have draft packs that you can use.

The way you would address this is by having multiple resources or aspects that change value at different rates, and do so linearly.

This OP is a mess. The last thread died with what, 7 posts? You're a namefag as well and you obviously haven't even figured out tripcodes yet. It's obvious you just want attention. Nobody gives a fuck about your dead, uninformative, uninteresting and poorly organized generals.
Saged, not that you know what that means.

>This op is a mess.
Then by all means, tell me how you would do it.
>You're a namefag
Literally you're the only one that cares
>You haven't figured out a trip
Cause I don't feel it's necessary. If I absolutely need a trip I'll get one. Otherwise, I don't care
>you just want attention
I do? So you're me now? You know how I think?
I love card games. I always have and I gained a lot of friends from playing TCGs. I want to find more people who like TCGs too.
>Sage
To kill a thread.
Yeah fuck you. You don't like what I have to offer you can go to someone else.

what's wrong with bushiroad?

They have a very spotty record of supporting games. Luck & Logic got five sets before they killed it in English. Them putting out another game with a generic high fantasy aesthetic to get MTG bucks is worrying, as their ploy probably won't work and anyone who bought into the game will be left high and dry.

hi peppermint patty

>L5R Coming back.
>Hyped for months
>L5R comes back
>Sudden Apathy

Why brain, why?

I guess I'll just continue to piddle around in Pokemon TCGO with Themed decks.

Oh I see.
I've only loosely followed Vanguard. Sadly I don't have anyone to play it with. That one seems to be supported pretty well though.

I like Vanguard personally. They had distribution issues in the states that really killed the game, but I still get a few games in with friends occasionally. It's better than Weiss Schwarz IMO.

Yeah it was a pain in the ass to even find a place that sold the cards. I also have some Weiss Schwarz but the mechanics of vanguard are just way more fun. At least I can enjoy the anime I guess.

>What's your main TCGs?
Yugioh, and I recently found an active Force of Will community nearby
MTG, Pokemon, Harry Potter, Yugioh, Duel Masters, Kaijudo, Megaman NT Warrior, Kingdom Hearts, Cardfight Vanguard, Elements, Hearthstone, Shadowverse, Duelyst, Force of Will
Duel Masters. I just want to play God Link Nova and Volg Thunder/Cheval.
Copy Kitty. While a better art team would be definitely nice, the concepts and setting would make for a fun TCG.

Does anyone have an up to date tier list for Force of Will? I want to know what's staple right now, and what rulers to watch out for.

>Harry Potter
man, I miss that, I never got the chance to play that TCG. I was like 8 when it came out.

I didn't even know it had one.

What's a good (preferably dead and cheap to get into) TCG that supports multiplayer well? I'd like something to do with my buddies but don't want something closed-box.

I'm a tard. I want something 'closed box'. A dead game I can build into a cube.

AFAIK it played a lot like magic.
Almost a clone really.
I still have like 4 or 5 cards. I will not sell my Golden Snitch and my Invisibility cloak foil. So nice.

TCGs aren't hard, I would recommend trying out the new Final Fantasy game. It's pretty easy.

It was somewhat similar to Force of Will, in basic structural concept. You had a character, who had an ability that you'd build your deck around. You'd use "lesson" cards (literally just lands), and otherwise the game played very similarly to Magic, with a few differences, that, while I remember they exist, I don't remember enough about the game to remember what they were. An interesting design choice was to relegate entire card types to certain lesson types - brown (Care for Magical Creatures) is the only way you can summon creatures, green (Potions) are the only way to get potion effects, and gold (Quidditch) was the only way to use certain reactive cards. There were also red (Transmogrification - mostly buffs and debuffs) and blue (Enchantments - the catchall color for everything else).

>closer to how FOW
well FOW got that idea from Bleach I would think cause you had a character you had to atk

>he thinks Bleach CCG came up with that
Good lord

Perhaps.

On a FOW note, would you happen to know what the best ruler for a Mana/Ancient Magic deck would be?

I know it didn't but I don't know what TCG did.

notta clue man. I never got into it. We almost had a crowd by MTG was too powerful

The MTG community at the LGS I go to for Yugioh left to another LGS, making the atmosphere less cancerous but also taking away a good chunk of income. The new LGS promised a safe space for Magic players to play without any other card games around.

each community:

Pokemon - Normally pretty chill and fun adults. If there are children or teenagers normally they are a bit spastic but decent people

Yugioh - If adults, they are laid back, pretty cool guys but think highly of themselves and normally are pretty neck-beardy.
Kids don't often join but teens do. When teens do, they get this superiority complex about them like because they read a complicated yugioh card and know how it works, they are amazing!!!#!#@$

Magic - Normally these guys are cool. Most woman that I've seen join act all superior and what not. When you try to talk to them, they act really defensive. This happens a lot from my personal exp.
As for kids and teens, normally they are cool but teens always clown around WAY to much. Not like Pokemon but like constantly making lame ass jokes.

Naruto - Most people I met were pretty neck beard like but essentially they were cool guys. They knew how to take a joke and cut up. But were some nice bros to each other and myself including.

Maybe it's my area, or maybe it's the age. I think it has a lot to do with how millenials are now. It's so hard to find a nice place to play TCGs without feeling like an over the top nerd.

In my area:

Yugioh: Mostly chill, except two guys, who most of the community avoids like the plague. A couple overly enthusiastic guys, and a weeb or two, but even they know when to back off.

Pokemon: Really chill, and wide array of ages. Have nothing bad to say about them.

Force of Will: Very relaxed, mostly at least slightly weeby, but never overbearing.

Magic: There are a few chill people, but most of them are middle-aged neckbeard elitists. They steal, threaten people with violence, and abuse connections with store owners. Nearly all of the regular Magic players are either the "You AREN'T running a full-foil Modern deck? You're a poorfag scrub who shouldn't be allowed to play" type or the "Your deck has a name? You're a retarded, braindead, no-skill, no-creativity scrub that netdecks everything and can't think for yourself. Stupid fucking sheeple" type. The one thing that unites them is how much they hate anyone who likes any other TCG, especially YGO, which they consider "a skilless baby game that any smart person would grow out of and switch to Magic". The exception to their hatred is Hearthstone.

To emphasize that later point, let me paraphrase a conversation that happened one time:

>"Hey, what kind of deck is that?"
>"My own deck."
>"Cool. Aggro, combo, or control?"
>"I don't follow that netdecker bullshit, Spike-baby."
>"What?"
>"Only braindead Spikes call decks by names. I'm a Johnny - I'm creative enough to know how to build decks for myself. I bet you use EDHRec, too. Magic should sue them for ruining the game."

>if /g/ played a TCG
yeah I see that shit too and I tell them to fuck off. I asked them why they don't play Yugioh and they say around the same thing "Hey you should play yugioh"
"Pff, yugioh is for kids"
"Sure, that's why adults are winning the main championships? OK"
These are the once nerdy ass kids in highschool with no life which now can pick on the bullies for not having any hobbies but sports and drinking.
Honestly, these people are really annoying.

>What's your main TCGs
MtG and FoW, though that may be a bit of a stretch since the former is mostly with a semi-competitive playgroup that only does Legacy and EDH, and the latter I just have decks lying around for use as a "board game" without religious updates or format adhesion

>played
Paper: MTG, Pokemon, Duel Masters, FoW, CFV, Weiss, Prememo, Chaos, FFTCG, L5R. Also gave MLP, Medabots, and some other jank TCGs a short test drive that didn't really pan out.
Online: Hearthstone, Shadowverse, Solforge, Hex, MODO, LoN, Eternal, Kancolle, a bunch of terrible mobage shit and tcg-likes (e.g. Duelyst)

>What do you wish came back
More Legacy stuff; only Modern and Standard ever fire at local stores and clubs. Other than that, L5R as a TCG instead of LCG, and FoW for local scenes (stores/clubs in my area dropped that shit like a hot potato somewhere between late-Grimm and early-Alice).

Warhams. A dedicated Persona tcg would be fantastic as well, since the /v/idyas' mechanics thematically translates very well to something like FoW or EDH.

They really are. Except, instead of picking on the bullies, they pick on the other geeks. I'm reluctant to play TTRPGs because of the communities at the LGSes. At least the Warham community is nice.

The Warhammer guys are pretty cool. I want to say a lot of them played DnD first. Most DnD players are really nice. I've heard some funny ass stories about DnD and what the DM has done. So I can see why a lot of them are pretty creative.

The DnD players here are worse than the Magic players. Unless you've played since 1e was new, they don't believe you should be allowed to play at all.

This sounds like a younger persons thread. I remember the explosion of tcgs in the 90s. Hyborian age, guardians, rage, arcadia, jihad, blood wars, star trek, there were so many.

I've tried playing DnD but I fall asleep

Nah dude not at all. I love meeting some of the older generations that can give insight to old TCGs

Ani- mayhem, excalibur, illuminati, just all kinds of shit. Star wars. Babylon 5 i think. Sim city.

I think magic and L5R are the only 2 that survived. YGO was later. I think pokemon was earlier. Most only lasted 2 sets.