/SIFG/ - A Song of Ice and Fire General

Hodor Edition

A thread for discussing the setting of George R. R. Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire' novels and all related traditional gaming.

Possible topics of discussion include the novels themselves, Green Ronin's licensed rpg, the card and board games by Fantasy Flight Games, general aSoIaF lore and theories, artwork, HBO's adaptation 'Game of Thrones' and the computer rpg, and the Telltale series.

Game Resources

A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying
-PDF Collection
>mediafire.com/folder/6sar1o14399xv/A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire_Roleplaying_(SIFRP)
-Cheat Sheets (Includes House Creation Rules)
>mediafire.com/folder/cam2kq4lrmdm9/Cheat_Sheets

A Song of Ice & Fire: Tabletop Miniatures Game
-Kickstarter Page
>kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/a-song-of-ice-and-fire-tabletop-miniatures-game/description

A Game of Thrones: The Living Card Game (Second Edition)
-Official Fantasy Flight Games Page (Rules, FAQ and Player Resources)
>fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/a-game-of-thrones-the-card-game-second-edition/
-Card Spoilers
>cardgamedb.com/index.php/agameofthrones2ndedition/a-game-of-thrones-2nd-edition-cards
-Deckbuilder
>cardgamedb.com/index.php/agameofthrones2ndedition/a-game-of-thrones-2nd-edition-deckbuilder

Lore

A Wiki of Ice and Fire
> awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Main_Page

The Lands of Ice and Fire (Maps)
>mediafire.com/folder/q5a5zbkb30uxo/TLoIaF

In Hodor's Guide to Hodoring, it says "Hodor hodor hodor" on page 2, but then it goes on to say "Hodor hodor hodor hodor." on the very next page. What am I supposed to do when this comes up in a game?

So who else shilled out for the miniatures game and if so what are you getting?

Obviously you hodor and hodor for the best.

I have to say that, overall, I think the artwork in this game is the best representation of the characters to date.

I am, it's thr first miniatures game my wife has shown any interest in. And getting everything.

Annnnd I forgot the pic.

Is it just me, or does the dimensions of his sword look...wrong, somehow?

I shilled out $460. I hope the minis are decent quality

The weapons and armor do seem to lean a bit towards the fantastic. Not full blown Final Fantasy or Pathfinder nonsense but not probably not approved by arms-and-armor autists either.

Darkstar did absolutely nothing wrong.

It's not so much the size, but the angles. The sword in Ned's art looks...slightly skewed.

I love the books, and I've never tried the RPG. What are the main differences I should look out for, moving from DnD (all editions), and Call of Cthulu

Oh, I think I see what you mean. Where the blade meets the crossguard? It definitely looks warped.

At least it's not this monstrosity.

JESUS. It looks like half the ship was vuilt in metric and half was built in Imperial.

Just for comparison here's the actual mini. It doesn't seem to have the defect.

I looks like only one engine made the the jump to hyperspace.

Can't unsee now. It looks like the scabbard is off center and the blade was painted to look like it might be slightly twisted? But the crossguard doesn't support that idea.

The core mechanic is basically the same as West End Games' old d6 System. If you're not familiar with that, it means that your ability scores equal the number of dice you roll on a task (similar to FFG's rpg systems, but with regular d6s instead of wonky symbol-based dice) instead of providing modifiers to a single die roll like in d20.

Unlike D&D and most other systems there's no attribute/skill split; instead you have twenty or so ability scores representing broad talents (Athletics, Fighting, Knowledge, etc) with the option to acquire cheaper bonus dice representing narrower focuses. When you roll bonus dice the number you can actually use towards the difficulty of a task is still limited to the controlling ability score but you can use the best rolls towards that limit. So for example, if you have a 3 in fighting then you get to roll three d6s in combat using any weapon- but if you then also have, say, 2B in Longswords then when fighting with a longsword you actually roll five d6s and keep the best three.

It's a pretty straightforward system. Probably a little less complicated than D&D or BRP/CoC to be honest. The 'social combat' mechanic is a little clunky but I know some people solve that by just skipping it entirely and using more traditional ability checks in social scenarios.

Apparently Roose Bolton is now Mads Mikkelsen.

Which I'm actually perfectly fine with.

Alright /SIFG/ers, with the new miniatures game being successfully funded - how would you stat the dragons and wights, based on what little we know of the system?

>muh tax plans
Seriously pathetic

What's funny is that GRRM doesn't really have well written taxation policy or really anything else besides compelling characterizations.

Even his politics is heavily hamhanded.

What size/version of the dragons are we talking about? You could probably go as big as the aDwD dragons which are a bit bigger than horses (plus the wings), but that single model would probably take up the same space as any other full unit so I think that would be the upper limit.

I'm trying to figure out what the Lannister models in this preview are supposed to represent. I know the Faith Militant is going to be getting units - which is what I'm leaning toward because of the monk-style haircut on the guy in the back - but I can't over the fact that they look like some sort of vampire lords.

Except for the guy on the right. He looks like Vladmir Lenin who also happens to be a vampire lord.

>Dat tiny head

Never skip head day.

>Artists: But if we don't make his head tiny, you won't have any sense of scale!

The actual mini looks alright.

I have to say, I love those designs. Very different from the show.

Alchemists guild is my guess.

Also, that full unit of lefthanded "Flayl"-men trigger me fiercely.

And Im happy to see another unit for the Umbers.

Dropped $150 for the core set. More because for that you get 150 something minis, lots of them are unique, and I like the overall realistic-ish aesthetic.

I will never struggle to represent medieval armies and guards etc. in RPGs again

When do they unveil their version of this model?

I went in for two. I'm hoping that I can make some of it back selling off the duplicates and KS exclusives

Got a box each of the three units not included in the base pledge, and the rulebook. Thought about getting a mat(Whispering woods) and all the terrain, and maybe will still expand my pledge. The activation markers are cool as well.

If I had the spare cash on hand I might have done the same. What do games like this normally sell for on ebay after kickstarters?

Should I get the dice and dice bags?

I really want those bags

I have no idea, this is my first mini game but my buddy was into warhammer and from what I recall single hero minis could fetch a pretty penny, especially the exclusive stuff.

Looking on ebay it seems like they have the potential to sell for quite a lot. Especially exclusive stuff.

Good to hear. You get 30 duplicate characters(including the throne) so doing the math I'd have to sell each of them for at least $5 to pay for the extra box. That seems doable to me.

It would have been even more sucessful if it just copied the (crappy) show designs imho.

There are Black Plague boxes of exclusives selling for a couple of hundred dollars in the last few months. I wonder if waiting a while makes them more or less expensive. And from scanning down the lists it looks like putting them on as Buy It Now will probably get you more money

Oh shit, that would make sense.

I wonder how they would function as a combat unit though. I guess they would just go onto the battlefield with jugs of their notGreekFire and start chucking.

wating would probably increase value (assuming the game keeps up steam) as initially the market will be flooded with these dupes but as time goes on it will be hard to still get exclusives.

That fucking throne especially will probably go for a good price in a few years.

Massive Darkness sets certainly seem to be cheaper than Black Plague at the moment (although Zombicide was more established and you got more exclusive stuff).

Massive Darkness is still selling for about twice what it cost though.

I might throw in for a second copy of this one

The sculpts seem really static...

The mounted units are much more active

Too bad there's only 2 mounted commanders

Aye, the alt-sculpt of Robb really should of been him on a horse.

they're made out of boardgame pvc. they will likely lack much of the rendered detail as well

Stat me, Veeky Forums

aww so they wont be like the warhammer minis?

The default Robb should have been him on a horseback. The calvary units that come in the core set basically represent the buddies he rode around with during the war doing his signature hit-and-runs.

I'm sure we'll get a mounted Robb sooner than later though. Tywin too.

Only one acceptable response to such a challenge.
Size/Type: Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 5d10+25 (52 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +5 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+14
Attack: Claw +9 melee (1d6+5)
Full Attack: 2 claws +9 melee (1d6+5) and bite +4 melee (1d8+2)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab
Special Qualities: Scent
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 12, Con 21, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Listen +8, Spot +8
Feats: Alertness, Track
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary, pair, or pack (3-8)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 6-8 HD (Large); 9-15 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: —

I ended up shelling out the money for it. And a few extra units.
Getting some more halbrediers, the Lannister crossbowmen for the Hound with his helmet on and then maybe some more Umber berserkers and Tully dudes.

The classics never disappoint.

>Sansa
>Catelyn
>Tyrion
>Cersei
>like half of the characters
>in a battle
Is there some bonus intrigue minigame for deployment or something?

Arya Stark
Lady
Stark Character (Unique)
Cost 3
Strength 2, Power icon
Stealth.
While Arya Stark has a duplicate, she gains
a Mil icon.
Reaction: After Arya Stark enters play, place the top card of your deck on her facedown as a duplicate.

Does anyone play the LCG.

As I've just invested in AoS, don't have the cash for GoT minis too, as much as I love them.

I WILL be picking up those 35$ 4x4 mats though, would be great for warhammer

There is indeed. Its a whole separate system of controlling zones using characters like those listed.

They're considered non-combat units (NCUs) and a 'bonus intrigue minigame' is pretty much exactly what they're for. Every turn NCUs claim spots on the tactics board which in turn give various effects on the battlefield- there's a base effect for each spot but most NCUs also get an extra effect for claiming a particular spot representing their individual strengths.

Littlefinger, Varys, Maester Pycelle and the High Sparrow are all also available as NCUs and Tywin and Roose have NCU versions of themselves as well. Howland Reed, meanwhile, is a Commander NCU, meaning he technically commands the combat units but his own model is played on the tactics board rather than the battlefield (because he's a sneaky motherfucker laying traps and picking people off from the shadows).

And there IS an alternate combat version of Tyrion; don't underestimate the Half-Man.

I would if I knew anyone else who played it.

Did Robb ever ride his direwolf in battle? I know it was mentioned as a claim by his enemies, but I can't remember if there was any point where he actually did.
Plus I'm not sure how big they were supposed to have grown by the time he died.

That scene didn't show how ninja-fast Arya was supposed to be, so much as how absolutely shit Brienne is at swordfighting.
>Oh, a tiny unarmored target? Time for BIG MEATY SWINGS

He did not, but he damned well should have

cuck

>And Im happy to see another unit for the Umbers

Umbers are great but we need Best House to show up as soon as possible.

As long as they weild tridents.

I think this series is actually really good for this type of game as many of the houses have unique traits and styles

Seeing as the game is based on the books I'm cautiously optimistic we'll see some cool stuff from outside the Seven Kingdoms available as mercenaries, too. I'm looking forward to Yi Ti crossbowman with monkey-tail hats, Neanderthal-esque Ibbenese sailors with whaling spears and Summer Islander archers decked the fuck out in tropical bird feathers.

fuck it even if we don t im totally making my own

The Dothraki models we'll get when the Targaryan faction inevitably drops should be pretty sweet too.

I doubt they'd ever get into the fantasy stuff but an Other faction would be pretty sweet

What's your favorite House/faction/region that only you care about?

The ancient Rhoynar were pretty cool. I'd also love to know more about Sarnori before the horsefuckers almost entierely destroyed them.

CODD
O
D
D

So who is their lord? Is it Lucas?
Where and what is their holdfast? Is it like an outhouse round the back of Pyke?