Cyberpunk General /cybergen/

Because just one wasn't enough. All things cyberpunk welcome; talk about the already published RPGs in the genre, get hype about what's coming up, and post that homebrew setting you're writing up. Suggest some movies, literature, interpretive dance, whatever.
>Cyberpunk 2020 (Relatively Complete) Collection
mega.nz/#F!6kkFkLaa!6EZSzqCRAasDWlkLeo9ibQ
>Cyberspace
mega.nz/#F!rgs2BLKJ!aWYqE6qnH4oABJWtihH7_g
>Hardwired (Novel)
hell.pl/agnus/anglistyka/2211/Walter Jon Williams - Hardwired.pdf

War edition; How do wars look in your cyberpunk setting? Standard 20th-century fare? Power armour supersoldiers? Cybermercs? Hovertanks?

Other urls found in this thread:

angelfire.com/games3/errantknight/zaibatsu/
pastebin.com/8VNzgQJ0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I homebrewed something after realizing that Elysium's space station wasn't necessary. Brazilian rich and poor coexist side by side like pic related. Then I took up the concept of "closed neighborhood" up to eleven:

"Everyone has vices. Hope is the Vice of the Hopeless"
>Brazil, early 23th century.

>Modern self-enclosed communities grew larger, bigger, richer, employing more and more security*, incorporating industrial facilities within themselves, becoming huge brass-coated arcologies, the "Latoes". Each is an automous self-enclosed city-state governed by a Tower-Lord or "Lorde-do-Latao".

>His genetic lineage owns it, every lock, gate, computer and communication system under his domain: from water to ultra-fi. He rents space and resources like a feudal lord: wealthy is who owns one or more floors all to himself. Most of the population lives cramped in about 25% of the tower. The Tower-Lord reserves the topmost floors to himself and his bloodline.

>Everything is up to rent: space, bodies, gadgets.

>The wealthy retainers of the Tower-Lord, "Acimas", can afford personal 3D printers, cosmetical nanites** or full information acess. All the technological disparity of the 20th to the 23th century can be found within two or three hundred floors. Higher floors encase entire nature reserves with otherwise extinct species.

>Common people ("Enlatados") grow food and drugs in hydroponic vertical farms; factories 3D print all kinds of goods based on imported digital designs. You're born in debt to the Latao which houses your parents. It adds more costs to raise, clothe, feed and educate you. Your work or your parents will try to pay that debt so you can actually acquire money. The majority fails to do so. The system is rigged: each generation, the rich get richer and the poor die owning so much their bodies are harvested for organs and tissues.

>The modern countries are called "Enclaves": groups of Brass Towers with common treaties of commerce, military assistance etc. They connect themselves through laser-comms, drones, cubesats, aircraft and automated underground railways.

>Slums dominate the land around the Brass Towers. They encrust the outside walls like moss on rocks. Those people have a miserable existence brought by the Brass Towers and yet depend on its waste. A bit of recycling and reconditioning may make wonders out things thrown away by the enlatados.

>Gangs and militias control the Slums, fight between themselves, to get the attention and supplies of the Brass Towers, to get Hours, to break the current system, to smuggle all kind of things from and to the Towers.

>Some even try to raid the underground tunnels between Towers, either through digging, hacking or bribing. Guards, gun turrets, drones and all kinds of defenses wait for them.

>They don't have nearly as much sucess as those that make reality shows out of their lives and transmit however they can to the enlatados. Become enough of a celebrity and you can even get inside a tower and enjoy your 15 minutes of fame. Then you become a normal enlatado.

*Latões nowadays have: Self-repairing concrete; adamantine-grade carbonoids; Small private armies; biohazard seals; spies with optical camouflage; power armor; land and air-based drones; power-armored paratroopers etc.

**Commonly called "cosmites". An off-shoot of medical nanites ("mednites"). Both are wonderful technologies, but this comes at a cost and extreme specialization: they don't work even in apes or pigs. Mednites and cosmites can monitor your organism and optimize it. From preventing cancer and preventing blood loss to making farts something that happens to lesser people. With proper installations and enough time, they can perform something as delicate as sex changes, not to say giving a woman natural breasts big and yet perky. Drawbacks include: the fact that nanites can't tell artificial implants aren't defects, so cyborgs require careful monitoring to prevent a terrible equivalent of autoimmune disease. The more nanites have to work, the more they produce heat and consume energy. One could have a new hand in 24 hours, but the body would overheat to death and possibly shut down.

I wrote a homebrew cyber-espionage streamlined version of CP2020 called Hunter//Seeker. Help yourself.

>It's shit

Does anyone have any decent resources or examples for material more along the lines of fluff?

Minor stuff like what people eat, transportation, how the average schmuck lives, day-to-day life kinda things.

lemme check my books

Aha

The Night city sourcebook is your answer gato, , it describes life in THE cyberpunk city, if you want something about USA, Home of the brave should do, it also includes character creations charts for soldiers, for asian stuff the pacific rim source book is dope, Eurosource Plus for well...
I think thats all

Hm, I'll have to look into it then. To tell the truth this isn't even a Veeky Forums related request, just a creative project of mine that I was looking for some material for.

Thanks for the info.

One last advice gato
Download Da archive pdf and search for cyberpunk 2020
Enjoy

Thats some shiny work there friend, nice! Just looking from a quick glance it seems to be together enough; certainly better edited than CGL work.

Dark Metropolis is also a good read if you want the darker side of cyberpunk city life.

I second this. Dark Metropolis is pretty good. I wouldn't use everything inside since it covers a fuckton of situations, but the alternate Humanity Loss system, the Stress Rules and the Drug Production System are all very good.

Here is also another good cyberpunk system: angelfire.com/games3/errantknight/zaibatsu/

Is the magazine meant to be that bit behind the rear grip?

why is there no cost section for vehicles or descriptions for them? what about rigging/drones?

Maybe it's some kind of rail gun, and that part behind the grip houses the projectiles and the battery unit. You'd have to ask Aaron Beck.

As far as I know, Hunter/Seeker isn't finished, yet.

My group has been looking to homebrew their own setting and system for when our Shadowrun campaign is going to end (Probably at the end of September / beginning of octobre at the pace they are going). This is what we have so far.

>Setting
Inspirations: Dollhouse (TV Series), Archer (TV Series) Remember me (Video game)
Concept: Near-future private spy agency with mind-programming agents

Background: In 2054, a neutron bomb goes off in Moscow, causing massive casualties. Noone ever claims responsibility for this, but fingers are pointed at everyone from terrorists to small nations to your neighbors shady-looking cat. The Fallout of this is an age of mistrust, with superpowers using the event to bring about a world of surveillance. Spy agencies, especially private ones become more common due to being deniable assets and outsourcing being cheaper on many smaller nations.

Game takes place in 2072 with the players being agents of one such spy agency. Unlike most others, this agency has access to a technology that allows their agents to be "wiped" of memories and skills and in turn imprinted with others. With the advent of smart-chips (Replacing smartphones) implanted behind the ear, these agents also gain the ability to "hack" into peoples minds to extract memories or plant suggestions.

>Rules
Based on 3 Superattributes (ID, EGO, SUPEREGO) with 6 active attributes (Body/Will for ID, Perception/Finesse for EGO, Logic/Charisma for SUPEREGO) and various abilities, the players can "jack in" various abilities at mission start.

Rolls are 1d100 vs target, roll under. Rolls are made against attributes + abilities. A great success is a roll under Attribute, a critical result is achieved by rolling doubles, becoming a critical success or failure depending on roll over or under.

Now we come to the still fuzzy parts.

>Conflict
Players definitely don't want a hitpoint system. I am currently looking at various "pure wound" systems that I could steal from. Goal is to meet the players expectation of tactical, fast and deadly combat. Any suggestions welcome.

>Initiative
Made a thread about this recently. The issue seems to be that my players really dislike turn-based initiative systems for their subjectively perceived clunkyness, especially when dealing with ongoing effects (Covered in corrosive acid) or certain actions taking longer than others (Dagger strike vs Claymore, reloading vs firing).
I am currently leaning towards a tick-based system with action points being assigned every ten ticks, but I am really struggling at this part.

Yes.

>I am currently looking at various "pure wound" systems that I could steal from.

I used a couple of wound levels:

- Light Wound (bruises and light cuts...)
- Serious Wound (deep but non-lethal cuts, cracked/broken bones...)
- Critical Wound (severe head trauma, deep cuts that bleed a lot...)
- Mortal Wound (severed limbs, big holes in the chest that bleed profusely, etc.)

Mortal wounds to head, torso or vitals immediately kill the character. Mortal wounds to limbs will kill the character if no medical help is available within the hour or so and the wound will have to be replaced.
Critical wounds to head, torso or vitals will kill the character if no medical help is available within the hour or so. They might also incapacitate him (stun check). Critical wounds to limbs render the limb temporary useless (until surgery). Critical wounds require medical treatment to heal.
Serious wounds to head or vitals might incapacitate the character (stun check). Anywhere else, they just hurt like a bitch. They will also heal by themselves, though medical treatment will speed up recovery time.
Light wounds just hurt. The penalty will disappear after the character could rest for two or three hours.

In term of damage it works like this:

1 to 4 points = Light Wound
5 to 8 points = Serious Wound
9 to 12 points = Critical Wound
13+ = Mortal Wound

Some damage examples would be:
9x19mm = 2d6+1
.45 ACP = 2d6+3
.44 Magnum = 4d6+1
5.56x45mm = 5d6
7.62x51mm = 6d6+2
Combat knife = 2d6 + STR bonus
Telescopic baton = 1d6 + STR bonus
Wolfers = 3d6 + STR bonus

Damage is multiplied by 2 if located in the head and by 1.5 if located in the vitals (torso)
AP bullets divide damage by 2 after deducting armor, unless it hits the head or vitals in which case damage remains normal.

That sounds good. As far as adjusting it to what we already have (Percntile system) how does this sound?

>Targeting of body areas
When unaimed, use percentage and compare to table. When aimed, roll under double that percentage or miss.

>Wounding
Light wound on hit, increase severity for each 20% shift under target number.

Type of weapon (Not going to get into ammo for juice reasons) or strength may reduce the shift value needed to increase wound severity.

>Initiative
For initiative I had a system, too (totally not ripped from Shadowrun).
Characters roll for initiative (in Cyberpunk 2020 it is 1d10 + REF + Combat Sense +/- bonus/penalty). It will usually give a score somewhere between 5 to 25 or up. My idea was to give one action to every character for each 5 points of initiative.

Example: If you roll initiative 14, you get your first action in 14, second action in 9, third action in 4. If you roll 4 (because your character is handicapped), you get your first action in 4. Once initiative is rolled, each action is resolved by decreasing score.

Since, I "invented" this system, I was very efficient in using it. I just kept an empty spread sheet where I could write all initiative scores.

Depending on how much crunch you want, this might be too much work.

Do you really want to use a pure percentile system for everything?

That was a project of character sheet I had made to go with the system found here: and . Everything was based on Cyberpunk 2020.

We're rolling with Shadowrun right now, and our main issues with the system come from three things.

>Ongoing effects
We had a situation where our combat rigger was doused in corrosive acid. Due to being a Rigger, he was an initiative beast, leading to a situation where he was acting for three full phases without any issues and then suddenly got kicked in the groin by acid damage at the end of the turn, moving him to get a -3 on all actions within the blink of an eye.

>Initiative carousel
Faster characters get to act for additional phases AFTER the first phases are dealt with with everyone being active. This feels weird to my group (and me) in that a faster character just "tacks on" an additional 2 to 4 simple actions to everyone else instead of actually getting to do multiple actions BEFORE slower characters.

>Item speed
Attacking with a two-handed battleaxe from hell takes a complex action. So does attacking with a combat knife. So too does casting a fireball. These things should not take up the same amount of time in my groups opinion and be more nuanced.

Kinda. The less dice we have at the table, the easier it is to keep track of what is what in my opinion. Shadowrun for example plays a lot faster at my table than D&D ever did.

That's a pretty cool feudal-Brazil interpretation of cyberpunk.

>not to say giving a woman natural breasts big and yet perky

Yup, you're Brazilian alright.

That's a nice character sheet, but I still don't understand why so many cyberpunk gamers want to make wounds/dying/guns/armor so incredibly over-complicated. What's the attraction in that? It's really not the core of the genre at all.

Lying in a dark sidestreet, slowly bleeding out while deleting your adress book one by one to not put those people in danger and pausing at your ex girlfriends name who is now a socialite so far away from you socially that it may as well be another planet is kinda Cyberpunk to me.

That can be modeled with far simpler rules. A simple "dying" status condition would do fine.

>Ongoing effects
Not sure I understand what you mean. In my system, if a character suffered from an ongoing effect like being burned or choked, he would take damage at each one of his actions in the round.

>Initiative carousel
In my system you only have big differences if experienced and highly-augmented characters are facing non-/lightly-augmented and unexperienced opponents.

>Item speed
Either, you have to spend one action preparing your complex action and use your next action for resolution. Or another option is that you cannot perform two complex actions one after the other. They must be separated by a simple action (ex. axe attack, kick in the groin, axe attack).

In my case it's pretty simple. I started playing Cyberpunk 2020 in 1992 or so. I know the whole system by heart because I GMd and played hundreds of combats/firefights turns. For me it is absolutely simple and intuitive.

It's like driving a car. For a new driver a car with automatic transmission is easier to drive than a car with manual transmission. If you drove manual cars for 20 years it's absolutely natural.

>In my system, if a character suffered from an ongoing effect like being burned or choked, he would take damage at each one of his actions in the round.
So faster characters suffer more?

>Initiative carousel
After reading your system again, it makes more sense than Shadowrun in that a fully cybered character a Speed 25 would get to act thrice before a character at speed 9, right?

>Items speed
Seems pretty complex to me and doesn't really solve the issue. All this would do is create categories for actions (Fast, medium, slow) that one would need to apply to a very rigid system. In combination with your initiative system this is somewhat alleviated though. How does this sound.

>Two-handed axe has speed 3
>Decide to "attack" at tick 16
>Get to roll for hit / damage at tick 1

>Knife has speed 1
>Can attack at tick 16, 11, 6 and 1

>"Mindhack" has speed 2 + Channel
>Decide to channel for 3
>Speed becomes 5
>Start Mindhack at 16
>Get to roll for success on second action of next turn

That's excellent!

I also abandoned this system for the classic one action per round. It was highly cinematic but bored me out in the end. It also had problems with suppressive fire.

>It also had problems with suppressive fire.
How so?

Because the suppressive fire must be kept between at least two action. There's a high chance that your opponent might act before or after that. The suppression's TNs would also have to be adapted.

It was fun for Hong Kong theater style action, but finally I reverted back to the vanilla system.

Maybe I'm overlooking something here, but isn't it good if your opponent has to wait until you use an action for something else than suppressive fire to act?

The suppressive fire is pointless if his actions are before or after.

Taking your system

>Fast dude speed 19
>Medium dude speed 17
>Slow dude speed 15

>19
Fast dude shoots
>17
Slow dude lays down suppressive fire
>15
Slow dude is suppressed
>14
Fast dude is suppressed
>12
Medium dude maintains suppressive fire
>10
Slow dude still suppressed
>9
Fast dude still suppressed
>7
Medium dude stops suppressive fire
>5
Slow dude no longer suppressed
>4
Fast dude no longer suppressed
>2
Medium dudes last action

If everyone gets to act every 5 ticks, no variance, suppressive fire kinda does work or what am I overlooking?

>Background: In 2054, a neutron bomb goes off in Moscow
Please don't be a meme and say Neutron Bomb. Neutron bombs are literally just tactical hydrogen bombs, which in turn are just nuclear weapons.

I'm no physicist, but isn't a neutron bomb the type that releases a ton of rads with a very low bomb radius and the rads dissipate rather quickly?

my goal wasn't to create the SOX/Zone/Whateverclichee, but to have a massive casualty terrorist attack that leaves a city behind where you can build memorials.

No, it's literally just a tactical nuclear weapon where the thermal radiation reaches further than the overpressure. The problem is that thermal radiation lights things on fire. Neutron bombs are anywhere from 1kt to 100kt (Going off the USA's W70 warhead), which is still a pretty damn destructive (Although meant to kill tank columns, not cities). Also, since it wasn't airbursted, it would leave lasting radiation because of fallout (Which really only occurs when you don't airburst; IE when it's a terrorist action or the Soviets are hitting Cheyenne Mountain).

I mean, no nuclear weapon will completely ruin a city, and even Moskow could survive something up to a 500kt detonation. My point is that saying neutron bomb is just a poor sciencefiction writer's way of saying tactical nuclear device.

I was wondering how you combine magic and sci-fi, especially cyberpunk.

It's from the manga Origin by Boichi.

TN for suppression is based on how many rounds you shoot.

>Attacking with a two-handed battleaxe from hell takes a complex action. So does attacking with a combat knife. So too does casting a fireball. These things should not take up the same amount of time in my groups opinion and be more nuanced.
Have you ever heard of Twilight 2013? You could use the tick system for that.

In pic related, the Spd stat is how many ticks (Initiative points essentially) it costs to fire the weapon as a Hipshot/Snapshot/Aimedshot. The bulk is the cost to draw the weapon, and bulk x2 is the cost to reload the weapon.

A system like in Fallout, where you have action points is also an option. It seems though that user wanted a light and simple system. He doesn't want x gun stats. Wouldn't point based initiative be too simulationistic?

I don't know, I just read the post I responded to. I still think it's the hottest idea out there (And what I'm using for my cyberpunk system/setting I'm butchering out of T2k13's system).

According to Wikipedia it seems that the blast radius of a neutron bomb is smaller than the one of a classic atomic bomb. On the other hand it emits much more radiation in a larger radius. This is due to a different construction. That said, neutron bombs were discarded in 1992, because their effectiveness wasn't guaranteed with thicker, modern tank armor (still according to Wikipedia).

>According to Wikipedia it seems that the blast radius of a neutron bomb is smaller than the one of a classic atomic bomb.
What is a classic atomic bomb? A fission bomb? A hydrogen fusion bomb? What tonnage does that count as? 15kt like Hiroshima? 350kt like the Minuteman-III's warhead? 1mt like the Soviet bunker busters?

Either way, yeah, they have a larger thermal radiation radius, but that's still causing mass fires, which also causes extreme winds and all sorts of chaos (As seen in the firebombing of Dresden).

I'm no expert. I'm just quoting Wikipedia. Neutron, atomic and hydrogene bombs are cousins. If you're unlucky enough to be in the blast radius of one, you won't notice the difference.

How do I depopulate moscow without making it lolradsforever then? Any suggestions?

Literally Shadowrun

Biological/Chemical Weapons

Looks neat, thanks.

>It seems though that user wanted a light and simple system.
The group does, but theres always compromise. Right now, I'm looking at as many different initiative systems as possible to get a feel for what to [s]steal[/s] be inspired by

Nanomachines, son.

Wouldn't they be slow as fuck for a city the size of moscow?

Might work, but I don't understand Nanomachines and how they work at all.

A designer plague that gets quarantined within the city, and eventually dies out. Or a chemical attack (If one could somehow spread VX throughout the city that would work). Also, people wouldn't just all abandon the capital city of Russia because there's a plague going around (Just look at China when they had their own disease problem).

Set up several, coordinated biological/chemical weapons to go off at once.

pastebin.com/8VNzgQJ0 Here's what I've got done for my T2k13 conversion for a cyberpunk setting. It's not much, but maybe it will help you somehow.

Also, to elaborate on the ticks thing; one has a base amount of ticks (In this case I'm making it 20-Weapon Bulk-Armour Bulk) and then an OODA score. They roll 2d20 and pick the lowest, trying to roll under their OODA score (Or 3d20L, 4d20L, etc, if you have reflex boosting stuff). Their margin of success is what they add to their base initiative, and that's the score they start on. Every time they get to their action, they do something, then you check who has the highest tick. If it's the same guy, he can act again.

For example, Tommy and Bob both act on Tick 25. Tommy does a 2 tick hipshot while tommy does a 5 tick aimed shot. Now this can be handled in two ways depending on how complicated you want to get; either you resolve Tommy's shot first, counting down two ticks, the gun firing on the final one. Then you'd be at tick 23. Bobby, having spent 5 ticks to shoot, has to wait until tick 5 until his action completes, so Tommy could do another hip shot, costing 2 ticks and bringing it down to tick 21. From there Bobby does yet another 2 tick shot, but it finishes after Tommy's aimed shot goes through.

If that makes sense.

Shit, I forgot the second way you can handle it:
Both on tick 25, Tommy and Bob both shoot because that's what action they wanted. Tommy goes down to tick 23, while Bob acts at tick 20 next. So while both shot, Tommy can shoot again because he's at a tick higher than Bob.

I like the first way in concept, but I've never played around with it enough to see if it actually works well.

Yeah, that makes sense. Funny, since I came up with a system very similar to it and posted it asking for suggestions a few days back and everyone told me that it wouldn't work and would be far too complicated. ( if you're interested)

Again, I don't know if the first method would actually work super well or not. Even if it doesn't the second method still is pretty good.

I'm thinking a combination of both would make sense. Shooting a modern gun takes little to not time, the tick cost would be mostly dealing with recoil.

Close combat however connects at the end of a swing, and the effect of most active skill uses / mindhacking would be at the end of it's tick cost.

So what do you think about this:

>Every character has a certain amount of action points
>Rolls initiative to determine at which tick interval he regenerates action points
>Gun use is roll on first tick
>Close combat is roll on last tick

Well, in T2k13 recoil is a stat already. It's if you fire a gun using a hip shot or snap shot right after having shot before. The tick cost is for the bulk of the weapon. If you've never really fired a gun in any urgent situation before it's probably hard to think of, but you need to take time to aim, maneuver the weapon, etc. Larger guns have higher costs not because of recoil, but because they're so weighty and unwieldy.

I've been in combat situations, but to accurately portray that in an RPG where some characters do have active engagement training and others don't is kinda weird. There's also too many types of variations between "reflex shots" and "aimed shots" in those situations to portray in anything but a Phoenix Command type of game.

I'd personally lean towards allowing for guns to be hitscan and add an "aim" action costing [weapon bulk] ticks per 5% increased hit chance in front of the actual shot.

Sure, there's a lot of variations, but you could easily generalize. Hip shots don't use the sights are are just pointing your weapon in the general direction and hoping you hit. Snap shots use the sights, but snap to the target rather than taking the time to carefully line up the shot. Aimed shots are like snap shots but take an extra little bit to steady the weapon and make sure the shot is on target.

As for differentiating between character who do and don't have training, T2k13 does that by just having the skill levels be lower, it's not that hard (Also all full auto uses double their rate of fire, but don't have any chance to hit with more shots because they're not trained to use controlled bursts).

I had made a mod for Cyberpunk 2020 where the base TN depends on how you shoot. I had identified three different possibilities: aimed shots, reflex shot, instinctive shot.

Aimed shot means aiming at an unsuspecting target. Shooter is immobile. It's the easiest.

Reflex shot means being covering an area, being ready, and shooting at a target in your field of vision. It's how you'd be supposed to fight. Shooter can walk.

Instinctive shot means firing wildly without aiming. Movement isn't restricted. It's the most difficult type of shot.

This system also resembles Recon's system (turkey shot, stand up war, receiving end of ambush).

Sounds fine and dandy to me, I'll check it out.

Still giggled at
>The proper method of using automatic fire is short, controlled bursts
Pic related is the armament I was issued while in the PRT. "Short, controlled bursts" my ass

>Being German
Also, the game's definition of a short controlled burst for an FN MAG is 11 rounds, so I imagine the MG3 is probably somewhere around 15 per burst or something.

The burst should be as long as takes to say "one beer please"

Heh, you german or is that a saying in other armed forces too?

The only time I had to fire the MG3 outside of training was from a Dingo, redecorating the landscape long enough for my girlfriend to choose a meal at a Chinese Restaurant with 40 pages of menu.

>Im a broke punk rocker with the same Russian Cat prison tattoo but check out my tens of thousands of dollars worth of Primary and Secondary guns.

Bitch cant you give em at least a cyberspace deck or something? Why does everyone assume Cyberpunk=Space FPS?