tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Webcomic/FinalFantasyExcursions
negativeworld.org/comicview.php?comicid=134&comicnumber=5#.WZeCFNGQxPY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>party tactics

>epic level casters

>Party checks the want ads

>more party tactics

God I loved 8-Bit Theater.

It's a ridiculously good read. Clevinger's new stuff is.. weird, but I like it.

Thirded
Three, like the number of time I read 8bit theater

Fourthed(?).
Speaking of, anyone got the "Four white mages? It'll never work" panel?

It's referring an FF1 challenge to beat the game with four white mages. Also the longest set-up in webcomic history.

Fifthed. I still give major props to it for its ability to keep jokes running for the longest possible time.

>the very last page of the comic had a throwback to the messenger that's being chased by the guard from Corneria Castle

The humor is sometimes crude, but it's still applicable. I can't actually remember any pop culture cracks, aside from the nintendo power stuff and 'special' comics.

Less Veeky Forums related, but Warbot in Accounting failing to progress any further always disappointed me.

Steal everything that isn't nailed down AND on fire.

Its a pretty great source for playing things that are decidedly not human trying to blend in and failing.

>Decked out in magic items

>exotic weapons

that whole page is player plans in a nutshell. "Just wait till physics tries to figure it out!"

I re-read it recently. Just about the only thing I'd say didn't hold up is the occasional bit of early 2000s wacky/random humor.

>The DM forgot his notes

I always wanted to fuck White Mage

Best webcomic without a doubt. Veeky Forums as fuck too, red mage a best

Black Mage is every fa/tg/uy if you actually gave him world ending powers. Mouth breathing, socially awkward, heavily armed, weaponised stench.

Sixth'd. Great, great webcomic. None better.

Had an actual PC with nunchuk-swords.

I'm happy Clevinger was able to get into writing comic books, but I wish he had the time/inclination to adapt another game into a webcomic. FF3 makes the most sense, since it has a very bare-bones story like the original.

one day I'll perfect the glorious chainsaw method

at least he actually finished this series, with an actual ending

Seriously 8-bit is a webcomic that should be impossibility

>webcomic
>sprite comic
>good
>has good ending
>almost always comedic
>jokes are funny
>not really political at all
>characters are likable
>daily
>author has good work ethic
>author seems like a cool guy
>author can actually draw AND write

I'm pretty sure this comic goes against the laws of nature

>the characters have better facial expressions than in most non-sprite comic webcomics

indeed

relevant

>"It's called ROLEplaying" -player argues with the minmaxer, gets their character sheet optimized

>8-Bit Theater as it applies to Veeky Forums

>Redmage's character who is one of the first character we are introduced to is a play on min/maxing a 3.5 character sheet.

Jesus fuck. Thanks for telling us OP. Had NO idea.

>can't into reading comprehension

I respect you're doing here, and honestly I'm enjoying the thread. But this is just a filename thread with extra steps

Lies and Vaudeville is precisely how I bard.

>Bluff natural 20
or
>Players do a 'settling down into a new life' session.

Anyone got the 'sacrifice children for power' 'of course if i did it for no reason i'd be a sicko' one?

?

Reading it counts as a suicide attempt. Couldn't breath for laughing.

>and after this he STILL perseveres to spill his spaghetti all over her another day and ruin his chances all over again

Black Mage That-Guy-Our-Guy.

And no one bothers posting a picture of Red Mage and his in game character sheet of himself...

>)
Man, don't even get me started.
OotS would be a rip-off of 8-Bit, but it has no original characters, none of the charm, the consistent updates, humor, clever writing or ability to bring mirth and happiness into the word in general. It ripped off the archetypes of 8-Bit's main cast, threw in a few straight men retadedly excessive amount of dialogue and stretched that skidmark over the last 13 damn years. The shitty thing just doesn't have the courtesy to die.

He also grew up in Alabama.

Is it not the longest brick joke in the history of mankind?

His follow-ups are equally good. Warbot in Accounting and Atomic Robo

>author can actually draw AND write
Wait, so why were they sprites?

Warbot in Accounting is pretty god-tier

Cause he started it up in his senior year of high school as a side-project.

Also, and I can understand this sounding strange if you're on the younger side, but most webcomics were sprite comics back then. It was just how the craft was done.

>most webcomics were sprite comics back then.

8-Bit was the only webcomic I can think of from back then that was sprite-based. There might have been one that used 16 bit sprites, but it wasn't popular enough to stand out. All of the most popular webcomics that I knew of were drawn. MegaTokyo comes to mind.

>MegaTokyo
How dare you mention that filth here

Bob And George got popular enough to spawn a million copy cats.

What even is his new stuff? I own nuklear age, but its shit.

There were a lot, actually. It's just that most of them were trash and have since been forgotten.

Source: I spent an inordinate amount of time back in the early 00s reading sprite-based webcomics.

Yeah. There was a ton. Most just died instantly, because they were random shit someone shat out to do fast with no real plans to continue or make into a long term thing.

Atomic Robo.

Why would you call that his new stuff? that's ancient.

Well, it's his new thing after 8-bit theatre.

Earliest webcomics I can think of are:
Penny Arcade
Sluggy Freelance
Schlock Mercenary
Ozzy and Millie
PvP
Ctrl-alt-delete
Megatokyo
and 8-bit theatre.

ONE of those is a sprite comic.

All of those are reasonably popular. Bob and George was the other 'big' sprite comic, but swarms of shitty knock offs, usually featuring megaman, were the next step.

You're only thinking of big ones. There were tons of small ones.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Webcomic/FinalFantasyExcursions

for instance, final fantasy excursions, which I found out about before 8 bit theater. It was similar, but way shittier and with no actual plot. If you actually delved into the shit crust of the internet, there was a ton of obscure ones. Most often found by people literally googling random game names and "sprite comic." If you're only thinking of major comics, you're not understanding how or where sprite comics actually existed.

negativeworld.org/comicview.php?comicid=134&comicnumber=5#.WZeCFNGQxPY

Hell, my brother tried to get me to make one for his obscure nintendo site once. I gave up after five comics, when I realized I had no clue how to keep making jokes. This is the kind of side sprite comics are on. Ones you've never heard of.

Bob and George

75% injokes, 50% author jokes (they overlap), 80% self-deprecation and 10% flash movies.

It's somehow both hilarious and soul crushing

There was always Captain SNES, The Game Masta.

I remember enjoying it until the author's face sucked right up into his asshole.

Kidd Radd was good, and finished, but might be a bit difficult to read now. Compatibility issues and the author being dead do that.

It makes sense. They were the big internet thing and had zero skill barrier to entry.

He's still producing comics for it.

He also does the odd issue for Marvel.

I used to follow Supermegatopia. I miss my thicc lewd furry webcomics...

Man, isn't that a weird list.
Penny arcade hasn't run out of ideas, but they drank the koolaid and lost most of their humor after the dickwolves incident. PVP just sort of cleaned up a bit and became bland.
Sluggy Freelance has the Simpsons problem. It was always a good read, but..eh.
Megatokyo still does exactly what made it great. Waffle and weebshit.
Ctrl-alt-delete.. Tim Buckley's bullshit is well documented.

About the only ones that survived intact ended or were bankrupt of merit in the first place.

8bit theatre and schlock mercenary are the only ones that have survived the test of time. 8bit theatre because it did its story and fucking ENDED when it was done, and schlock just because it has been high quality throughout its history and been consistently good.

Did they ever find that armor of invincibility?

Not yet.

>drank the koolaid
I mean they haven't made any more rape jokes, but it's not like they were making them before

No, but there have been comics which you'd expect treated in a different way and took a safe route.

Its more of they got old and had kids and became the very people they would mock in their comics. And rich too.

This is more accurate

But Acq Inc and the Podcast are what I pay attention to know

Same. Its all on rails but hard to deny they got the banter on lock....just wish Jerry would shut up and stop backseat DMing.

I just wish Kurtz would stop drawing Foxtrot and come back to the team

8 bit did more than just have a story and end. The story was never the important part anyways, it's just FF1's story, after all.

No, what it did was create compelling characters, which is hard. Super hard. Creating a bunch of likeable assholes that you still love to see suffer is pretty damn hard to do, and he managed to do it without all of them just being the same person, too.

8 bit theater is some high quality stuff, and the fact that he did it for free for years is amazing.

If I ever come near an all dark eldar party, I probably should use those guys for inspiration.

Because they are the ultimate example on how to make deranged, horrible, loveable non-edgy monsters (and fighter), and make it work.