/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/chronicles-of-darkness-dark-eras-2
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/a-brief-respite-before-the-deluge-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
Would you play a war centred game?
>5th editons cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/tMwkuTtG
worldofdarkness.com/grimoire/tribes
drivethrurpg.com/product/217030/Onyx-Path-Publishing-Brochure-2017?src=newest
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Kinetic shield can't block an uratha bite

>I will regret taking the bait...

What about that sidebar from Forsaken in any way implies that a Kinetic Shield couldn't stop a woof bite?

If Alchemist's Touch is the template for Kinetic Shield, the fact that an substance/force is not entirely mundane is immaterial. If using the suggested rules in Creative Thaumaturgy, then the Shielding spell, at worst, would protect as usual against Potency number of supernatural attacks before the spell needs to be recast. As CofD basically has a hard rule of only one attack a turn, the spell is more than sufficient to deal with a Schnauzer with delusions of grandeur.

Also, all the woof angst about a single possible Forces 2 spell is amusing. Many mages can dish out a lot more supernatural mojo than apprentice-level spells from a single Arcanum. What's that woof going to do when that same mage with Forces 2 decides to negate gravity?

In any event, werewolves are indeed capable of fighting mages, although the odds will generally not be even. However, using a direct tooth and claw strategy against a mage proficient in controlling the energies of the universe is just plain dumb, if not suicidal.

>Given these endless discussions, I wouldn't be surprised if the rote for a kinetic shield would be called "Fuck U Garou."

Let's not do this again. Please. Just rule it however you want at your own table and leave others alone.

Feedback requested on this character sheet for the Slender Man.

pastebin.com/tMwkuTtG

Ignore the phone poster.

But the bait, it's so shiny...

I still don't get why Changelings don't try to reason with regular humanity for help against the True Fae. They don't have any horrifying, evil deed necessary to live like Vampires, Werewolves, and Beasts do, they don't have any terrible, monstrous agenda like Geists, Mummies, and Mages do, and they don't have a literal curse that makes everyone ever hate them like Prometheans do. They, as compared to every other monster, have the LEAST to lose by breaking their equivalent of the mask/masquerade/etc.

I'm about the farthest thing from a SJW you could be, but even I understand that the mass of humanity tends to fear and destroy what they don't understand.

If changelings revealed themselves to humanity, it would be a disaster.

If a Changeling ever did try to do that and got some serious traction, you can bet they would be taken care of and any traces of what they did wiped out by the other splats. That's opening a door no one wants open. "If fairies are real, what about monsters? Like vampires and werewolves? And what about magic, is that real?", etc.

Rate my mystery

Mystery: Philosopher's Stone

Other Names: Lapis Philosophorum, Magnum Opus, Imperium Mysteriorum, Golden Dawn
Concept: Alchemical “stones” ( crystals ) that give users power to control whole Arcana
Scale: Singular stone can replicate any spell from any Arcanum up to 5 dots, in sensory range, making it Lasting. Legendary recipe on “pure” stone should be able to make come true Archmasters powers.
Location: Anywhere finded, most of time in some alchemists possession. Stones are often seen in areas where Nicholas Flamel was. There are rumors that Prometheans also create Stones with their bodies.
Important NPCs: Nicholas Flamel, archmaster. Any dedicated Alchemist ( Moros ). Prometheans.
Described in: Magnum Opus (Flamel’s Grimoire), The Book of Life (Nicholas Kollar Grimoire), ???
Locked [ ] With Mysteries: Uncrowned Kings Legacy (Analyzing Legacy member lowers Opacity )

Changeling are strong as fuck and wouldn't care about any other splats other mages, demons and mummies who wouldn't bother them

Actually I think Archmages would be the ones to do it. Seer Archmages, most likely.

If they tried to break the masquerade big time, they would exist for a few days before Exarchs and their Tetrachs would've wiped them out of existence.

I disagree.

Based on what?

>Implying they wouldn't encourage a military invasion of Arcadia to take its power for themselves
>Implying they wouldn't then use that power to subjugate mankind
It's the perfect excuse to do what so many mages have dreamed of doing forever

...if you've read the Equinox Road, you know that military invasion of Arcadia is hopeless project by concept. They would encourage changelings going back into Arcadia, no doubt, but breaking the Lie is a big no-no and breaks the Pax. And you don't break the Pax without some Imperial Magic down your ass.

>Implying they wouldn't then use that power to subjugate mankind
Exarchs don't need to subjugate mankind any further. It is very pleasing as it is.

Islamic truck of peace just ran over and killed a bunch of people in Barcelona. Deus Vault Now!!!

Fuck off /pol

Wrong board user. You want /news/ or /pol/

This ain't /pol/, dude. Unless this was a demon interrupting some infrastructure, we don't care here.

This is golden:
worldofdarkness.com/grimoire/tribes

>LARPING was a fucking mistake

A mistake? This illustration captures your average Child of Gaia perfectly!

I am reading over the SAS adventure books because I want to use one of them for a quick one shot adventure in a changeling chronicle, but I'm having trouble getting my head both the Rose Bride's plight and Fearmakers promise.

The layout of the scenes seems pretty bad, and there's no real description of the NPCs

The Rosebride's Plight is especially bad because the plot revolves around a pledge made between spring and winter but there's no actual text of what the pledge entails.

Does anyone have any recommendations for how to run these scenarios?

so is this supposed to be a fae creature archetype?

Does Equinox road take the pax into account? What if mages/exarch/archmasters dont exist?

Is this also Dracula cosplaying?

Will we get a whole series of Fabio-like splat covers?

LARPing suits a lot of OWoD better than tabletops.

Its embarrassing considering how good the art direction was back in the day. They really hit their highwater points in the 2000's, especially for Exalted, and its been dying ever since.

Which splat has the most interesting supporting cast mechanics in your guys opinions?

Mages can have their mystery cults, proximi apprentices and sleepwalkers.

Vampires have ghouls, and their anime harems of food.

Werewolves have the Wolf-blooded, now with the extended 'pack' mechanics to show NPCs that support the squad without always being part of it.

Worst is probably Changeling or Promethean. They have no Sub-splat, and Prometheans have to take on a magical pact to even prevent pissing off the whole world.

Prometheans have Alchemists after them trying to consume their vital fluids for magic powers (more of an antagonist than a sub-splat, but everything is awful for Prommies), and Changelings have ensorcelled mortals, hobgoblin pets, potentially sentient artifacts, and their fetches if they try to reason with 'em instead of kill 'em, like the Blind King did.

He reads like Michael Kirkbride, if you cut off Kirkbride's ketamene supply.

Alchemists were like half written. The basics are there, but it is just not well put together. Plus, antagonists, so not all that useful as 'support'.

Ensorcelled mortals is so not a sub-splat. It is just 'what do you call a mortal who you've made a pact with'. Though they are a supporting cast, I just feel like not enough was done with it, keeping them low tier.

Honestly? Ghouls. People who become ghouls aren't good or normal people, usually, and even the ones that do have to deal with psychic slavery, blood addiction and being bound to creatures like vampires.

The ghouls book has something about a ghoul so desperate for a fix that he's eating another ghoul's period. It's fucked up, but a good indicator of how twisted these people are. The mess that they become is a great twist.

Mummy 2e confirmed.

>Mummy 2e confirmed.

Where? Link?

there is the entirety of goblin markets, the hedgebeasts portion of autumn nightmares, and parts of both Rites of Spring and Equinox Roads about hobgoblins and their relationship with changelings, including as servants/allies.

Also the worst in my opinion is either Geist, where their 'support' is literally just the ghost possessing them, or Beast, where the 'sub-splats' are just the other splats.

>sub-splats are just the other splats
The way it should be!

Nobody's posted the Gen Con brochure yet?

drivethrurpg.com/product/217030/Onyx-Path-Publishing-Brochure-2017?src=newest

Other news: The Crossover Chronicle is now The Contagion Chronicle.

Are there any other morality systems in play besides standard Integrity, something like Harmony with breaking points up and down and the standard Humanity (Buy it up with experiences, lose because your ST hates you)?

Do you mean in general or specifically for mortals? Because each gameline (sans Beast) has its own equivalent, and some of them do weird stuff - like Mummy, where Memory starts low and then you buy it up over play.

Mirrors had examples of alternate systems of morality. But it was also built during 1e.

It has a straight sanity system, for instance. If you want your game more horror based.

Eh, more just the mechanics of it. Like, Integrity is just a very slow regeneration for mortals with breaking points down. Humanity/Wisdom/Related are just breaking points down, XP up. Harmony has breaking points up/down, that sort of thing.

>Nothing coming for Werewolf 2e
>Both vampire and Mage have books on the way

Welp, we dead boys.

>has a 2e corebook and a supplement
>while other games won't be 2e for years

Fuck off.

Oh, nice!

Werewolf is one of the big three.

It doesn't matter if Geist doesn't have a 2e yet. There should always be more on the horizon for Werewolf.

Meanwhile Mage and Vampire both have 2 books on the way. Vampire already has 1 supplement out, and still has two on the way.

Vampire has two supplements, actually.

Maybe Werewolf would get more books if it sold better.

Werewolf is better than mage and vampire and is probably the most unique take on the classic monster that OPP has.

>what is Promethean
>what is Changeling
>what is Demon

The Forsaken aren't even werewolves, they're just shamans that shapeshift sometimes.

Excuse me?
They are werewolves that shaman sometimes.

Thank you very much.

No, because nothing in the game takes place anywhere but the fallen world. Unless you count the place true fae go after winning the game of immortals or whatever it is they play for titles.

Eh, Promethean isn't so much a unique take as a 'unique twist', because the whole 'played god, created monsters' thing is how frankenstein types have always worked, but the 'hated because reality is hard-coded to hate them' is certainly new.
Also
>Changeling 2E being entirely rewritten to not 'offend' anyone
Why

Maybe I've just had bad luck with groups/GMs but every werewolf game I've been in devolves into furry murder hobos.

Every WoD game inevitably devolves into "assholes with superpowers," regardless of how it begins.

Drivethru servers are fucked, if you have it can you upload it somewhere?

>The Contagion Chronicle
>contagion
>"the spreading of a harmful idea or practice"
Describes the enabling of crossover pretty well.

sendspace /file/y51ipm

It took so much self control to not just upload Urban Shadows stuff instead.

Fuck off FAGGOT!

How much of a bonus do you get for selecting a specialty for a skill? I'm at the character creation part now but for some reason the relevant information expanding upon these things is around 200 pages down the road.

I too would have been tempted to meme. Thank you.

+1 for a relevant specialization. +2 if your take the area of expertise merit.

An extra die on relevant rolls.

Sounds like another all fluff no crunch book that won't address anything. Just like Thousand Years of Night.

Thanks.

My expectations are pretty low, and yet somehow I know I'll still be disappointed.

It does say the antagonists will be influenced, so if I had to guess, bad guys from every line will be represented with special rules.

You guys will still hate it though because

>infrastructure
It is going to blame this all on the God machine. The God machine has a virus!

C+
You've just taken a classical concept, made them effectively powerful Imbued Items, and then said they can sometimes be made by nonMages.

Make it more thematic, give it a cost, limit what Arcana it can use. Because right now it looks boring and bland beneath the thin veneer of the name.

I would say make it more like the actual philosopher's stone. Can use
Lasting Transubstantiation to transmute base metals into gold or silver and can also make the Elixir of Life, a potion imbued with a Life spell for eternal youth or something. Lots of Mages would be all over that.

Yeah, or an evolution of Mind.
Perhaps make it part of the residue of Flamel's Ascension (Legacy Ascension, Uncrowned Kings).

His Sarira did not result in the same kind of state as most others.
His, changed by the nature of his Ascension, crystallized in the form of more than a dozen Philosopher's Stones, scattered across the world.

Any chance you've got a copy of the new v5 playtest docs from gencon?

I don't want to do that. I want a stone that allows one to control magic at a master level

Mage actually has *three* books approved. I think they might be announcing the third one at the WoD/CofD talk tomorrow.

Then you have an incredibly boring mystery on your hands.
Congrats.

Why because you say so? Who are you to judge whether my mystery is boring or not?

I'm the person you asked to rate your mystery.
And I rate it poorly.

Oh joy another mage book when werewolf didn't get shit and Geist hasn't even received confirmation on a 2nd edition. Woohoo mage supremacy guys

Geist 2e is confirmed tho
I agree that every line but Vamp and Mage is getting shafted (and even those are meh) but be glad we're getting anything

Geist 2e is confirmed with the brochure I think

It's more like Requiem supremacy. It has two supplements and two on the way, with one nearly finished.

I also agree with other Anons that woofs are really getting screwed. It's been a while since The Pack, and now one of the purported "big three" not only doesn't get an announced supplement, but has to share its brochure page with Promethean. Werewolves have taken a serious plunge on the supernatural social scene. [I guess woofs haven't fared so well since mages began to liberally distribute that Kinetic Shield rote...]

I'm a little disappointed that the Crossover Chronicle has evolved into the Contagion Chronicle. Not only does the reference to Infrastructure make is sound more like Demon supplement, not everyone uses the God Machine in their games, and if crossover begins to rely on it, the CofD will definitely begin to feel less toolbox-y.

>be glad we're getting anything
What? They are having us kickstart half this stuff anyway. This isn't an entitlement situation, we literally pay them to build these projects.

>...if you've read the Equinox Road, you know that military invasion of Arcadia is hopeless project by concept.

I bet a powerful enough Archmage could do it.

Well let me see one of your patented mysteries Mr. Master Story Teller

Hey Dave, is there any legitimate reason why a mage would want to explore the abyss? Or would anyone caught sniffing around be branded left handed and waterboarded by the local Guardians?

Anyone notice the M20 supplement, "M20: Rich Bastards Guide to Magick," a supplement about rich, privileged mages.

Brucato hasn't been able, and Rich has been unwilling, to even slightly curb the extraneous left-wing political and cultural material in the line. Who the heck though that this supplement was a good idea?

What is stronger an Archmaster or one of pic related?

>book about being a rich mage
>I bet people who hate the rich did this

I don't follow

The Q are basically the Ochemata of Ascended beings.

It's probably about the Syndicate paradigm... but you know, carry on with the hysterical political faggotry.

What mage isn't rich? It would be incredibly easy to get rich with any of the Arcana

>Arcana
Wrong game line.

Only a dumb mage makes himself obviously wealthy. Making money extremely fast is going to draw attention.

No mage is going to have money issues, but they're going to play it smart.

PCs are smart, NPC do every dumb thing possible if the story calls for it.

You can easily get rich with any of the spheres as well

Brucato is a left-wing, anti-corporate SJW. The book will not just be about rich mages, it will be endless sarcasm about conservatives (just like the other M20 books, but likely worse).

Phil has already proven that M20 is his personal political and cultural manifesto, and Rich seems to be on board. I have no doubt that the new supplement will continue the tradition of poor writing, incomplete rules, inconsistent setting, and insufferable sidebars, stupid sarcasm and player demands to conform to Phil's cultural ideas.

The GM precedes Demon, remember? It isn't that the GM means it is a Demon crossover, that means it is a crossover with the core/mortal line.

But user, the rich can buy so much more local organic food!

I have no problem with my games mocking conservatives.