CYOA Thread This is the future you chose-edition

The other guy fucked up so now I gotta pick up his slack goddamn

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/vrqYhnpu
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because OP fucked it up:
Archives and other resources: pastebin.com/vrqYhnpu

I'm curious, someone thought my symbiote cyoa wasn't user friendly enough for someone who didn't know about the Marvel universe, do you guys also think the same thing about the Guardians of the Galaxy CYOA?

Suck my dick, make the thread yourself. You fucked up, I did your job for you.
Yes I didn't bother to read it because it uses characters from a canon and you can't nearly describe the characters well enough.

In this case the problem is mostly not knowing why there's a large number of characters with identical "energy xD" power sets.

No, But that's mostly comes from me not caring about Marvel apart from Symbiotes and Warmachine

In short, yes. There's no real world-building to it. You don't know anything about the universe, what threats you'll face, races you'll meet, places you'll see, except for the limited options presented in the cyoa itself.

Now, this isn't inherently a bad thing. Plenty of authors make bare bones power fantasies with no real context except "pick these powers, pick your girl". However, I think this is exacerbated when the content is based on an existing property

I appreciate it. I entered for the laughs, though, pet play... snicker not with any expectation of winning. I voted for SDA because the "required orgasms" mechanic legitimately made me laugh.

Deconstructing the genre... something something... ?

Why do cyoas exist? What is their fundamental purpose?

Escapism. A skeleton of rules and points upon which we build the flesh of imagination

Scapism.

Btw, someone should make a teen titan CYOA, I mean, I'll gladly do it, but I know nothing about the teen titan serie/comics other than I wanted to have Raven as my gf when I was younger.

I didn't read any of those, same with cyoas based on weebshit. I mean you shouldn't worry about anons who don't know about the universe you set your cyoa in. They probably won't read it no matter how "user friendly" you'll make you cyoa.

>I'll gladly do it
Thank you, see you in some days/weeks/month/never.

Why does anything on Veeky Forums exist? It's all imagination and speculation.

I dunno, I thought I had summed up all the characters and most of their personalities pretty well. The quotes especially help with that.
The energy thing is a legitimate problem, and I really don't know how else I would describe it other than lasers.
See, I always thought it was better to worldbuild within the options of the CYOA itself to allow the player to put everything together themselves rather than just a large exposition dump. Did I just not put enough info in the options?

>And user was never heard off ever again
I don't even know him, but I already hate him.

fuck off power cyoas are simply fun like normal video games and waifu cyoas are fun like some books.

Way better. This CYOA is really good. I never really enjoyed symbiote.

They are the latest gizmo by which the proletariat is kept docile and clueless. How I hate the prolateriat.

Someone please post the fortune cookies cyoa.

that's like saying it's always better to travel with just one car

doesn't really work when you have more than 5 people

It's the bourgeoisie who make the proletariat's lives so miserable that they resort to escapism. The bourgeoisie are the ones you should hate.

do it yourself

>rather than just a large exposition dump.
He isn't saying to do that. He's saying you failed to integrate worldbuilding into the cyoa.

Shut up, peasant. I dream of a world where all of you are replaced by automatons and we can finally enjoy the fruits of this world in class and style.

If I had it, I wouldn't be asking now would I you fucking moron?

I'm sorry you can't be bothered to google it and instead turn to vulgar profanities to justify your inability to do basic functions. Would you like me to open some water bottles for you too? Maybe get a shower ready for you as well?

Thanks user. Symbiote one is usually one of my more popular ones though.
You guys mind pointing out what you think could be improved for the world building?
I suppose I could have talked a bit about the Annihilation war that had passed in the beginning, but I thought I did a pretty good job at laying out all the major space empires and dangers in the events section.

It's a pretty generic science fiction setting apart from that.

You know it's name, you can find it real easy.

As an example, I think it would have been better to expand on what the Guardians actually are in the beginning. While it's cute to have Cosmo, a non-Marvel fan would benefit more from something along the lines of "a loose coalition of exemplary individuals from
across the universe, created in the wake of a war that almost destroyed reality. The Guardians of the Galaxy exist to asses and eliminate threats before they happen", instead of "you guard the galaxy"! This would serve to both immerse the reader in a world with a backstory, loosely allude to the team's origin, give an example of what you might be up against, and give a sense of induction into something amazing. Probably wouldn't hurt to allude to a reason why the reader themself has been chosen, even if accidental. Don't get me wrong, as a Marvel fan myself, I enjoy the glib Cosmo intro but I don't think it's conducive to immersion. Sets the right tone, though, so it's all subjective.

I think it could be beneficial to expand on the powers to give a sense of scale, as well. How fast can you regenerate, how powerful are your concussive blasts, but some authors like to leave things vague and up to the imagination of the reader. Unlike the previous point, I think this affects someone familiar with the universe more, as comicfags are suckers for power levels. Can I hit as hard as Thor? Is my telepathy greater or lesser than Moondragon's? You get the idea.

Just off the top of my head, the induction could be given by a different narrator, then have Cosmo for the companions and stuff to create a more friendly, familiar atmosphere for that section. Worldmind is good for exposition dumps, although canonically that wouldn't fit

>Torture

>Human

>Traits
Expert Swordsman
Dual Wielding
Agile
Rage

>Weapons
Axes of the Betrayer

"They thought they could break me. Turn me into their undead servant, a puppet for all eternity. I proved them wrong when I took their heads as trophies. Now, to unleash my pain upon this world of fire they loved so much."

All absolutely fair points, and I'll definitely keep them in mind if I ever get around to the henchman cyoa or Thunderbolts one I eventually plan on doing.

I think I did originally have a longer write up for why the player was joining, but ultimately decided to scrap it and leave it vague.

And the power level thing is tricky because in the source material it fluctuates all the time based on the writers.

>giving constructive criticism in a friendly manner
Please, stop, my penis can only get so erect!

>I don't get it
Sorry about that. Again, I tried to make it work standalone but I guess it didn't work out. A little confusing, but in a surreal "Horse with No Name" sense and not legitimate “what the hell is going on”. The Marid, Juno and Jann sections of pic related should hopefully explain what is going on, though I’m not sure how to actually integrate that information since none of the narrators would really explain it to the protagonist. Maybe if I explicitly named the fiancée Eurydice it would be clearer? I don’t have a lot of space to rewrite but I’ll try my best to make it more understandable.
Thank you. I’ve made two other CYOAs: Dream of Genie and Black and White.
Thanks too. I’m happy the tone went through even if the plot itself was unclear.
>I can’t really identify with
Yeah sorry, that was a problem I encountered with doing pure narrative in the larger project. If it’s just a multiple choice story, it’s really hard to give enough choices with limited space, at least for me who has a problem with text walls and succinctness. And you’re correct, the food+underworld connection is a reference to the fate of Persephone/Prosperina/whatever name filtered through the Juno thing. Though the pebbles themselves are fragments of the water-giving stone Moses struck and broke, preventing him from entering the Promised Land. All regrets find their way into the desert eventually.

Sorry for the overly long post.

That's nice and all, but I'm just curious who everyone else thinks the best waifu is.

Protip: It's Mantis

>Prostitute

Correct

I regularly jack off to waifu CYOA. Post more?

You should post the rest of your CYOA now that you posted the first page.

It's always bothered me how the powers are designed in this cyoa: too specific and rather limited. I think powersets would have worked better.

Sure. The rest isn't really as relevant for clarification purposes though, so I don't know how useful it will be.

I use them to fuel my escapist fantasies.

Well it may not be relevant for clarification purposes but it is still a nice CYOA.

Word of advice, if it doesn't work for self insert it doesn't work as a CYOA. Might be interesting to read but it doesn't go any further.

Oh, well thank you then.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

Hey guys, it has been a while since the last time I checked the thread. Has ZBG finished his guardian cyoa?

Yes and it was awesome.
However, mods banned it for some nudity in it.

Nope.

No, he finished another one called Soul^3 that I forgot to save because I'm retarded.

Not trying to be an ass, I legitimately want to know, how are you able to use CYOA's for escapism? Whenever I decide to read through one, I think about the situation for a bit, choose what I might like, and explain why if it's in a thread, but that's it. There's really not much for me to do after that, it's not like I'm writing a story or playing a game or really getting nitty gritty with fleshing out something. Where does the long term escapism come in?

Building a story with your character. Easier for something like Traveller or Necromancer, but also worthwhile for basic escapism like Time Stop Chill Zone or Mindslaver where it's less a story and more something you wish were real

CYOAs - for me - are an exercise in cohesion & imagination. Putting the pieces together in a build is a lot of fun; particularly if they seem outwardly not to match. I think stating that the purpose of a CYOA is solely to escape is either misinformed or dishonest. The community surrounding them is also fascinating! What a great microcosm.

different user here. for me they're a substitute for video games, which are far more expensive and time consuming, not to mention carpal tunnel inducing. I just take a build and imagine I'm going on some adventures.

Apparently their was drama between Tok and SDA recently, can someone explain it to me I wasn't really paying attention?

Around page 52 for me.

There is no drama SDA just wants to cuck tok in a Reddit contest

There's a competition right now. Tok entered to satisfy his ego, SDA entered to cuck Tok, and SDA is currently winning.

Basically, we all know Tok is a child and ran to reddit because they sucked his dick there. He entered some lewd CYOA contest and was acting all smug here because he was going to win, so SDA decided to cuck him by entering a much better than whatever mediocrity Tok puts out, and now the voting has started and SDA campaigned like crazy, just so he could cuck Tok out of his win.

Basically, whoever wins, Tok loses.

Basically, when Tok loses, everybody wins.

the obvious choice is stegosaurer, prof langford and 2pen

The escapism comes in with military factions and archiving?

Yes. Dreams of library's full of knowledge and muscly Yautja hitting each other with sticks really immerses me in.

Oh so its basically a cuck fest between Tok and SDA in which SDA is winning. Thanks!

Exatly. And here's the important bit:
If SDA wins, he'll finally create the Limbo Roommate CYOA.

>Inherent

>Demon

>Traits
Flight
elemental affinity (fire)
Undying
Breath Weapon
Rage

>Weapons
none

"an eternal flame courses through this vessel, the limitations of my kin defied- soon the traitor pontiff shall feel the wrath of a prince denied"

I tend to daydream about fantastic scenarios and how I would react to them, because I'm unsatisfied with life in ways that simply can not be helped, and would rather spend my time thinking about things that aren't the environment I exist in.

CYOA's are the nominal reason to continue frequenting these threads, as most are not yet ready to admit that the true essence of /cyoag/ is an endless maelstrom of drama and bullshit. They are the lure, the sickly nectar that we flies are inexorably drawn towards not realising that we have fallen for the insidious trap.

The waifus are also nice.

Well, they exist because people like them, and they're fun. There's something so nice about just being able to make choices about a situation you'd never realistically be in. Their purpose really is just to entertain. Sometimes things are just fun to be fun, and I like things most when they're like that.

Seems like you lack imagination, If I really like the situation created by the CYOA I'll probably end expanding it and creating a story.

Probably why I'm on bed.

>why
meanwhile*

Tell me more about its awesomeness. With titties, please.

I see. Thanks, anons!

Now this is interesting. I'm hearing a lot of the daydreaming, imagining yourself in these adventuress reasoning. Which is totally fine, you guys do you, but for whatever reason imagining myself in those scenarios long term doesn't really appeal to me too much. I do a lot of writing and daydreaming myself, but I never feel the draw to put myself in those scenarios, but rather explore the worlds and the characters within those world as their own things. Just find it interesting.

As for , fair enough, whatever saves those dollars.

Xian
Voluntary
Excited + Lusty soul
Dominant
Friendly

Curvy
Flexible
Barefoot
Cat Ears

Maid
Chinese Dress
Modern

Courtesan
Entertainer
Housewife

Ring
Single room (-3)
Patron Haint (-8) of change

Loving heart (-1)
Making the switch (-1)
Minor Shapeshift (-2)

Companionship

Have some quick and easy feel-good OC.

Plus optional mystery item. Please Make your main choice first before opening.

Anybody knows if there's a Shin Megami Tensei cyoa?
I currently have no ideas on how to go for making one, and in any case it would get far behind in the queue of my WIPs.

Dogs are shit

THIS IS NOT MAKING ME FEEL GOOD

YOU ARE A LIAR

Man, if it's a mystery box post it under spoilers.
Saves you from the need of actually writing it down.

I know, I tried to spoil it as it was posting and fucked up. My bad.

I made a note of it being optional because it sort of shifts the genre of the CYOA if you take it.

I am more of a cat guy sorry.

Some guy was making one but he has not showed up in months

Those are some cute doggos

I pick the girl instead of the dogs.

There are a couple of Persona inspired ones, a mainline inspired one that only got posted once, and one that was playing it more straight but was never completed. Other than those, I'm not aware of any.

Picking the girl means picking all of the dogs, user.

Milla, because /an/ doggo threads memed me into liking them and I'm used to grooming-heavy pets

I feel as though star wars is over-rated. Its alright as a franchise but I don't see why it has such a huge fanbase other then being "popular"

As long as i get the girl.

Riel.