/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/chronicles-of-darkness-dark-eras-2
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/a-brief-respite-before-the-deluge-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
stat me
>5th editons cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da

First for you can't use ruling to make a lifeform stop it's heart to kill itself

Well that solves that.

Please don't bring last thread discussion into the new one.

Fire Sin Eater? Is there suck a thing? I want to say there is but I'm not sure

So outside of the implication that you should use it, what don't you guys like about the God-Machine?

For some reason I imagine this being a badass Changeling Mien

Fire Sin Eaters are definitely a thing
Geists tend to stylize themselves as "God of ___" or something otherwise big and showy and definitely not true, (because they forget who they were in life).

Ghost Rider would be one of the Torn, with a Geist who stylizes itself as a demon of vengeance. He gets a flaming Death Mask, and probably a Fetter for his chain-whip.
As for manifestations, he's probably got Pyre-Flame for everything, but I'm not knowledgable about the mechanics of Geist to say more than that.

My understanding of Geists is that they're like a mix between Bleach and JoJo's bizarre adventure. Except they're less anime are more spooky ghost people.

So if it takes 3 Mana to heal yourself, remove a Mental Condition or a Physical Tilt, does this mean you can't do that until Gnosis 3? Because you can't spend 3 Mana in a turn until that point.

I assume you can do it over two or three turns if your per-turn limit is too low, isn't that usually how it works?

With most stuff, yeah.

Which splat to read after I'm done with Awakening 2e?

Mummy.

We need at least one person who knows about it, that isn't Atamajakki.

What are the major differences between the Free Council and the Mysterium?

Both are heavy into magical research and have notable repositories of supernal lore.
Knowledge seems to be their gig, with the former relying on the 'new' and the latter leaning on the 'old.'

What else is there?

One is ok with slaughter sleepers for "research"

One is full of raging faggots, the other isnt.

If you cast a spell within your own Oneiros is the spell still active/working in the real world when you wake up assuming you cast the spell with sufficient duration?

As someone who has read Mummy, don't bother. System doesn't fit the game, it needs a 2e worse than Geist. (Which is no insurance against 2e being fucked too.)

Well good news, 2e is planned for it according to the brochure.

The Free Council fancies itself a parallel democratic government and has votes on things. Power's for sale to anybody who can make a deal. Bitches be inventing new forms of magic; if you want a weird dedicated tool go Free Council.

The Mysterium is a secret society, and the higher your degree of initiation, the more power and information you have. Big on classic magic and preserving the methods of the past. If you think Ars Magica and Rosicrucians are cool, join the Mysterium.

>What are the major differences between the Free Council and the Mysterium?
What they do, for starters. The Mysterium is about preservation, rescuing magic and ancient arcane knowledge before it's lost. This ties into their stance on Sleepers. They believe that magic is alive, and Sleepers are hurting it. The Free Council is more about innovation, taking magic into the modern age. This ties into *their* stance on Sleepers. The Free Council believes that Sleeper culture is the go-to place to look for Supernal symbols, and doesn't disregard them as being irrelevant or just a nuisance like most other Mages do. They're also practically polar opposites in approach and structure. The Free Council believes that hierarchical structures support the tyranny of the Exarchs, and that by being democratic they reject that tyranny. The Mysterium is very hierarchical, with very clear cut lines in the pecking order. The Mysterium also guards its knowledge seriously, even against their own members. Meanwhile any bozo can peruse an entire Lorehouse as long as they haven't done anything to lose the privilege.

To boil it down, on one hand you've got your conservatives and on the other your liberals.

>Meanwhile any bozo can peruse an entire Lorehouse as long as they haven't done anything to lose the privilege.
I should clarify, any bozo in the Free Council or in good standing with it.

Thanks, anons.

Favourite ST character across any edition/splat?

Jack Cade here. Just because the idea of a homicidal hard right vampire patriot cowboy is executed perfectly in him.

I never use characters presented in the books.

Seems to defeat the purpose of creating my own chronicle, for me.

That bastard Giovanni that proceeds to ghoul and then embrace the entire Coterie in "Giovanni Chronicles IV: Nuovo Mallatia" - it was so much fun to play that guy. He starts out suave, seductive, self-assured... then the players start to see the anger issues, the abuse of power, the loss of Humanity...

it will still be active, but it wont be effecting the real world?

What do you mean by "working in the real world"?

Hunter anons, how do you like to deviate from stereotypes about monsters/how the various other splats represent them?

I tend to just keep my Werewolves as cursed individuals that turn into incredibly dangerous half-beast creatures and go into a frenzy. I also prefer to avoid god machine stuff so my demons are usually from straight up hell, or the equivalent of whatever culture they're from.

Never did get to run GC IV but i loved reading it.

Main thing I do is forget the culture.
That's all it takes to turn most of the creeps into real monsters.

Take a werewolf, strip away the idea of a tribe, strip away the shamanism, strip away the sense of duty to protect the shadow and the material worlds. You just get a predator who can twist into a monster.

It is easiest with vampires. Without their culture they are just the usual stereotype, with a lot less names to remember.

Hardest is probably Mage. Since they assign so much of what they do to the society around them, even though at the end of the day they are a being who was touched with demi-god powers by some outside realm from beyond. All their ranting about the greater powers, and whatnot, just makes them sound like crazy people that probably need to be killed.

The Mysterium are, quite literally, Making Magic Great Again.

All their ranting about the greater powers, and whatnot, just makes them sound like crazy people that probably need to be killed.

Good luck with that.

Also, remember that sleepers cannot remember superman magic.

..are you saying the Corpus Author is Our Lord and Saviour Donald Trump?

Are you Implying a lowly hunter has even the slightest chance of harming let alone killing one of the Wise?

So can somebody tell me how demon contracts are made in owod, in terms of the game system. Like let's say i have a vampire that will sacrifice virgins every fortnight in exchange for Appearance 4, firstly, it that possible, and if so how does that work? Can Demon lores be "lent" etc.

Play descent instead. Fallen is oWod garbage

Mage society is all about stopping mages from killing each other, or at least frowning on it if it's done openly. What better proxy assassin than "a lowly hunter" with just the right untraceable help to be dangerous?

>ruling a heart to stop
>not ruling a thunderhead to strike a lightning bolt in a certain spot

>3 Virtual Adepts in Revised do a Ritual. How? Trinary computers, hacking reality, AI familiars.
>3 Virtual Adepts in M20 do a Ritual. How? One does Yoga. Another smokes a large joint. The third does martial arts because "Gods and Monsters", which I guess means Lana Del Rey is magical now.
>M20 has no concept of paradigm, Phil is explicit when he says it was to limit real-world Magickal workings. What replaces it is an incoherent attempt to ripe off Yantras.

I feel this could have been solve with an actually relevant side bar

>Magic with yoga pants.
>Yes, by raw you could make a virtual adept whose magic is cast by yoga. The system is open enough and magic practice are varied enough that covering all possible practices are futile, House Thig for example. However, DMs should keep in mind as to how exactly a mage who´s chosen tools is Yoga joined the Virtual Adepts. Who taught him and why? And DM have the last word on whether your character choice of focus would allow him to join a Tradition or not.

Ghost Rider

Virtue: Implacable/Loyal
Vice: Vengeful
Threshold: Torn
Archetype: Reaper

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 3, Wits 4, Resolve 6
Physical Attributes: Strength 5, Dexterity 4, Stamina 5
Social Attributes: Presence 6, Manipulation 2, Composure 5

Mental Skills: Academics 2, Crafts 3, Investigation (Vengeance) 4, Medicine 1, Occult 3, Science 1

Physical Skills: Athletics 4, Brawl 5, Drive (Motorcycle, Stunts) 6, Firearms (Shotgun) 4, Survival 2, Weaponry (Chains) 5

Social Skills: Empathy (Guilt) 4, Expression (Wisecracking) 2, Intimidation 5, Persuasion 1, Streetwise 3, Subterfuge 3

Merits: Area Of Expertise (Vengeance), Danger Sense, Direction Sense, Indomitable (Epic), Interdisciplinary Specialty (Vengeance), Professional Training 5 (Stuntman: Athletics, Drive, Empathy), Trained Observer 1, Virtuous (Advanced 3), Ambidextrous, Automotive Genius, Crack Driver 3, Demolisher 3, Greyhound, Iron Stamina 3, Parkour 4, Quick Draw (Chains), Seizing The Edge, Stunt Driver 5, Air Of Menace, Closed Book 4, Iron Will, Striking Looks 2 (Heavy Metal), Table Turner, Takes One To Know One, Armed Defense 5, Defensive Combat (Weaponry), Iron Skin 2 (Advanced 2), Killer Instinct 3 (Advanced 2), Light Weapons 4

Willpower: 10
Defense: 9
Initiative: 9
Speed: 14 On Foot (Use Motorcycle Otherwise)
Health: 10
Psyche: 6
Synergy: 7

Manifestations: Rage 5, Shroud 4, Hearse 5

Keys: Phantasmal, Passion, Pyre Flame, Industrial

Ceremonies: ???

Looking for one or two more players for a game of Demon the Descent. Contact me at OrangePekoe#2822 on Discord if interested.

Sorry demon is meant to be played with one person unless you are a damn good ST

Since magic cast within your Oneiros is free from paradox (assuming it doesn't leave your own soul).

Wouldn't casting a spell within your own soul be a wiser and safer way to buff yourself with magic than a ritual space that uses a soul stone to form a demesne?

Magic only buffs your dreamself while you're there. Outside, you're just normal.

>Sorry demon is meant to be played with one person
Well, no, that's not true at all. I've run it several times before and always with a party of 3-4 players. There is no WoD game designed with the intent of being played solo.

The dude who doesn't use punctuation hates demon.

A'ight cool. On a related note. If you take the astral adept merit and perform the oblation. Do you fall asleep during the journey?

I have an idea for an adamantine arrow that summons aspects of his personality to aid him during a fight. And uses the astral adept merit (combat) to access his oneiros away from a place of power.

Yeah. Oneiros = Asleep, or at the very least completely out of it. A practiced mage could just fluff it that way, as being unconscious during the event, especially a mind mage playing with Goetia.

Could you use a Mind or Life spell to stay 'awake' while being asleep at the same time?

If I were your ST, I'd let you do it, but cost a point of mana and ensure that you were 'splitting' your awareness. Each turn, pick which side you're paying attention to, basically. Flesh or astral. Probably 3/3 for arcana. Maybe 2/3.

Yeah there is it's demon and to a lesser extent mummy. Naratively works better with one person. Werewolf, hunter and mage are the only ones who were really designed with group play in mind

Changeling's a group game by its nature, a motley is pretty much a support group.

No, you're 100% wrong about that. You may think it works better that way but it was fully designed with group play in mind, as evidenced by the corebook's constant referral to the 'group' and 'players'.

That's what your fists are for.

Sullivan Dane. Remove Vampire and look cool while doing it.

The anti-magic benediction isn't too bad. With some prep and decent stats you have a fighting chance if you ambush.

Are you Implying that the Mage didn't see the future and anticipated the hunter or checked his fate or had a spirit of protection following him or any number of things with only two dots in an arcana

One of the biggest problems of hunting one of the Wise, besides the fact that it's so hard to know about them because of the Quiescence, is that you might actually manage to harm or kill one. If that mage had any mage friends or part of any number of mage groups (e.g., Seers, Pentacle, Legacy, cabal, etc.), the retribution will be swift and terrible. You would be luck if they only killed you, although death is not the end of torment to any mage proficient in Death. Even if the mage you killed was an asshole (which describes most Awakened), you would still be hunted and punished on principle to deter others.

Werewolves fear that interfering with the Awakened might result in a fate worse than death. It certainly would not turn out better for a human.

Hunting the Wise is generally an act of suicide, likely sooner rather than later, at least under Hunter 1e. Whether this will change in Hunter 2e remains to be seen. If it does, I'm curious how it will be accomplished without trampling Mage themes and rules.

> Implying nWoD won't finally die when Storypath System comes out
> Deviant is already basically a Storypath game

Yes I am if it's part of a Hunter campaign. Because a GM with a Mage/Magic villain who full-on plays to win and doesn't play to challenge in a Hunter game is the most disgustingly shit of niggers. It's the same way that anyone who has an epic wizard villain in D&D should do an encounter against him with kid's gloves to give the fighters and barbarians a chance to win instead of just using a pocket dimension or whatever to leave.

About to start a hunter game with no edges

What are the best ways to kill werewolves and demons? We have leeches covered, changelings are easy, and mages are all or nothing, but werewolves and demons puzzle me

Werewolves need to be shot from a distance before they change, or bound in silver and force fed ammunition so their regeneration can't come into play.

Demons? Fuck if I know. Got a fuel-air bomb handy?

>werewolves puzzle you
Silver. Lots and lots of silver.

Demons are in the class of mages. Nuke from orbit or don't bother.

>instead of just using a pocket dimension or whatever to leave.
>implying the "You've foiled me this time, but I'll be back again!" kind of villains aren't great

Witha demon. Make sure you've done your research into them, cover your bases, then go hard and hopefully they flee before too many people get hurt.

Mark my words, Scion will be OPP's new flagship by this time in 2022.

good, riddance, I say

Fuck off shitlord

>I've seen a werewolf punch through a concrete wall. Men have emptied entire clips at them and hit nothing but air. Yet, their strength and their speed, are still based in a world that is built on rules. Because of that they will never be as strong or as fast as you can be.

>What are you trying to tell me that I could dodge bullets?

>No Neo, I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready you won't have to.

Marionette (Life ••)
Practice: Ruling
Primary Factor: Potency
Withstand: Stamina
Suggested Rote Skills: Medicine, Athletics, Expression

Anything that lives, or successfully makes itself appear as though it lives, does so by calling upon the supernal truth of the Primal-Wilds. The Shaman can control this life force as easily as a puppeteer controls a marionette on a stage.

At the base level for the Duration of the spell the shaman can only command base life processes (e.g. sleep, hunger, sweat, lacrimation, etc.). Doing so may be obvious magic or hubris depending upon the conditions (e.g. forcing a driver to tear up so much he's temporarily blinded and looses control of his vehicle).

+1 Reach: The shaman takes over direct control over the muscles and nerves of a life form forcing it to perform any physical task the Shaman defines for the Duration. (e.g. dig a ditch through a minefield) If conscience the subject is fully aware of the fact that their body is acting outside of their control. Their ability to voice their displeasure however may be limited.

+2 Reach: Threads can be plucked or they can be cut. At this level of control the Shaman can directly manipulate a life forms ability to survive. The shaman can stop hearts, cause organs to hemorrhage, nerves to misfire and seizure. The only limit is the Shaman's wisdom.

>Deadpan Merit
>"you’ve slipped free of horror itself"
>"No matter what faces you, if it’s magical in nature, you never have to make rolls to resist fear or revulsion"
Mage Supremacy? Hah! How about Sleepwalker Supremacy? Beasts can go fuck themselves.

Idea for a Sin-Eater: a street artist and activist who died from sadness when his movement and fans moved on and left him without purpose. His Geist was also an activist, but from the French Revolution, and he died of old age in a prison cell to punish him for challenging the feudal goverment. They try to work together to bring about justice and equality, but frequently disagree on how to do so (and on artistic tastes). Alternatively: the Sin-Eater was killed by the hired guns of someone who did not approve of the secrets he was leaking, and the Geist was executed on the guillotine. This would make the Sin-Eater a Torn instead of a Silent.

U mad, dirty Nosfies? :3

Source and is there more?

I'm glad the Nosferatu aren't forced to be hideous in Requiem.

If they aren't ugly than they usually smell like shit

They can simply be extremely unsettling to mortals for various reasons. Many bloodlines precise how exactly the curse manifests, like the Butrakamin being basically mummified or the Licinii sickly or crippled.

But those auto dramatic failures on social skills..

We're all equally ugly on the inside.

Only if you used Presence or Manipulation.

Source is beata_vargas, glad you asked, because 20mins before i checked her she posted a new cosplay - a Malkavian, and Malkavian + VV lesbo action.

Most social skills do.

Pfahahaha.

I'm just a drunk normie, but what about that vtes? Does anyone have any cool toolbox ideas besides call the great beast? Can anyone make necromancy work? Is there any discipline more versatile than spiritus and valeren?

I honestly hope they've at least come to understand why they should be embarrassed about this.

Idea for a Vampire Elder: a grandstanding, eccentric, fun loving but monstrous, egomaniacal and capricious Nosferatu of the Circle Of The Crone who genuinely believes he can build his own domain by being both perfectly terrifying and perfectly adored. Insists on wearing assorted symbols of fertility and death on his person, like a shaman. Probably goes by some fae sounding sobriquet with a royal title in it. His clothes are a part of his body through Protean, so he can switch fashion styles and wield accessories as weapons. He looks like a cross between Bayonetta, Venom and the Gentleman With Thistledown Hair.

The local changelings must *loathe* him.

Geist thread? Wonder if they'll tease anything more about it at Gencon.

Yeah Ghost Rider (Especially the Robbie Reyes version) is basically a Sin Eater. The dev of Geist 2e basically said it would likely be a Sin-Eater with particular specialization in Pyre-Flame Caul and Rage. Penance stare would probably also be Stillness or Phantasmal rage power to some degree.

I thought that Geist powers don't really work on anything new.
Like I don't even think they get a simple *move element* power, just that they get some sort of homunculus to spy on people made from grave dirt, the dying breath of a man and so on.

What? What makes you think they would be embarrassed by that?

Do you think those sections cause complaints anywhere? Or hurt their sales any?

The Industrial marionette basically manipulates non-organic objects. In 1e you get a bonus to using that power the older the object is and a dice pool negative depending on how modern it is.

Everyone knows that a thread on Veeky Forums is the sole lifeblood of the entire White Wolf fandom. That's why we have over 17 Mage 2e books, you see.

Right, their powers don't work really well on newer things.

Some Sin-Eaters may stare at your smart phone as say "Sometimes something old and classic is better" as they whip out a telegraph on the subway. Then they'll probably start swearing up a storm as the Hobo King Ghost of the Third Rail starts haunting them and the telegraph starts begging for change.

Good to know the one Geist player is in the thread.

Geist is shit

:^)

Hey there's that other guy who plays Geist that shows up every now and then.