What if we discover that we live in a Simulated reality? How would we react?

What if we discover that we live in a Simulated reality? How would we react?

How would we discover it if our understanding of the universe is based on observing from within the simulation?

The same way we act now, as we are programmed to react within a simulation.

Given how my existence has been, I'd try to break out of the sim into reality, find the person or persons responsible for programming that crap, then forcefully express my displeasure.

Does this mean I can stop working a job that kills my soul anew every day and not be a wageslave anymore?

No of course not.

oh.

Well, there's one way out nobody can deny you...

Soon. Give me a few more years, I stubbornly cling to the hope that it will get better at some point despite being stuck in the same place for the last 6 years.

Working from the basic society summary of military/creators/workers, it would go as follows.
>Military has nothing to seriously respond to. Simulated reality does not threaten the existence of a nation. Intel/comms/tech nerds/SF may be involved at various points while researching what exactly exists outside the simulated reality. Think Stargate here.
>creators would be leading the research previously mentioned. Depending on how dispersed the knowledge is, businessmen may be looking for ways to profit. Nothing really changes, although a few movies may be made, plus a few "[generic shooter]: Outside the Matrix" get made.
>Workers do nothing new. Perhaps some existentialist fears (rise in religious or scientific interest?). Nothing else. They're still holding society up.

I think "Stargate, but to the world outside the simulated reality" is the simplest explanation.
Invoking the Matrix here would bring too much baggage about the nature of the simulation. Is it forced or voluntary? Is the average person aware or not? Are those outside the simulation interacting inside the simulation? Etc. Research would find an answer to these questions, but research must first be done.

Not him, but sometimes accepting that the suck is supposed to suck gets me detached enough to keep wondering how the suck will change.

If the noose is just strangling you, you did it wrong. It's supposed to snap your neck.

If you can talk while you're hanging, you did it wrong.

I'm no expert, but I would think that unless you're 300 lbs lardball, your own bodyweight can't snap your neck. You have to jump or have a higher drop than just a chair to gain a bit of momentum if you wanna get it over with quick and clean.

You have two choices right now, either put on your big boy pants and get to making your life better, or keep doing what you're doing in comfortable despair. There are other options of course, but they are all bad end.

Me i'm sitting between the two. My life has been shit, and will probably be shit, but long term clinical depression hasn't killed me yet, so fuck it, i'm going to make the best of my free time till it does. And if my plans work out and my life gets better, that's a nice bonus. Buying Gamemaker Pro 1.4 a week back from Humble Bundle definitely helps, here I come app stores with my shitty 1$ games.

>user doesn't know how to an hero
wow dude
literally some paracord and a doorknob. Same technique as autoerotic asphyxiation, except you don't cum and don't fight the black out.

>You have two choices right now, either put on your big boy pants and get to making your life better, or keep doing what you're doing in comfortable despair.
Is that from a self-help book? I have read around 30 of those. In fact, I could probably write my own.

There are no options because I have nothing to offer to people and have a job that even a monkey could do.
My clients hate me and I hate them.
My co-workers hate me and talk behind my back and I hate them.

I know nothing about quantum physics except what youtube videos tell me, but isn't that effectively the basis of string theory? That all of reality is effectively a sort of illusion with its own internal set of rules?

>There are no options because I have nothing to offer to people and have a job that even a monkey could do.
>My clients hate me and I hate them.
>My co-workers hate me and talk behind my back and I hate them.
>hate hate hate

Theres your problem. Maybe you need to buck the fuck up and start looking for a better job. Stop wallowing in the hate and get the fuck out. At least you're not 35 years old, no job, and dealing with Clinical depression and a social phobia so strong i've had a psychologist say to my face and a judge i'm not employable.

Im so much worse off than you, but i'm getting off my ass, getting out of my wallowing in self pity and Doing Something about it. I'll likely fail, but fuck it, at least I tried.

And no its not from a self help book, just my own observations of how shit works from too much observing and not enough participating.

I inform customer support about a variety of bugs.
Like the platypus. They let an intern do this thing, didn't they?

>At least you're not 35 years old
But I am.

>no job
Thats no option in my country because there are no neet bucks.

> dealing with Clinical depression and a social phobia so strong i've had a psychologist say to my face and a judge i'm not employable.
Oh poor you. In my country if you told your doctor you think you have a social phobia he would laugh in your face. Please tell me how miserable you are living with your parents/getting benefits.
This luxury doesn't exist here.

>Im so much worse off than you
Sure told me now Mr. 1st World Problems.

> I'll likely fail, but fuck it, at least I tried.
thats nice, if I fail I starve.

I accept my fate as an NPC and go about my business.

History will not vindicate me, nor anyone who does the opposite, because we're both going to be deleted after a certain amount of time. Eventually, the program itself will shut down, and no one will care.

>implying death is an escape

>implying an actual person worked on us
they probably just have a general genetic algorithm written and make it work through random planets at speeds close to 0

We make a cooler simulation to one-up the people simulating us. Either that or everyone moons them at once.

>the reason particles behave differently when being observed abd that you can't know the speed and location of an electron at once are optimizations to save processor clock cycles

>Please tell me how miserable you are living with your parents/getting benefits
I don't have any. Social phobia, despite being unable to get or hold a job, is not covered. I live in a super cheap shitty SRO and live off food stamps. My parents give me 5 dollars every month to pay rent (because the government is greedy and counts even 5 dollar towards their rent assistance) and have a couple dollars to treat myself. Internet is bummed off a couple neighbors.

And what country is such a shithole that you can't get a better job with a bit of networking and some boots on the ground? That it doesn't have even the most basic social safety net so people aren't starving on the streets?

No, its because when you're hitting a particle with another particle to measure a property, the particle that was hit has now changed its trajectory or speed. ITs nothing to do with Simulation bullshit, but simple physics.

Babylonian mythos is such a fucking nightmare that I don't understand how these people could live with themselves.
>What, you're a poor peasant suffering from leprosy who has to work the land every day until he collapses from exhaustion? Enjoy it while you can, the dead ENVY you!

That's what happens when your river valley hates you and almost always ruins everything. Doesn't bother to flood most years, and when it does, it overflows.

Still, that's a fucking terrifying thought. Much harder to swallow than simply "you go to sleep and don't wake up". It must've been a constant sword of Damocles hanging over the heads of the Babylonians, the knowledge that it would only get worse and worse and there's nothing you can do about it. I imagine their culture would've been a fatalistic one (unless someone with more knowledge can prove me wrong on this).

>I'm no expert, but I would think that unless you're 300 lbs lardball, your own bodyweight can't snap your neck.
You're supposed to put the knot on one side of the head, not in the back of the head. It doesn't take much weight if done correctly. Just a quick, clean jerk.

This.