Malifaux General

"Will he see playtime now?" Edition

Faction Stat Card Almanac:
mega.nz/#F!a8QBgCaD!mMN8jvLMuNKHA5G3nJ0FSg

>Books
Malifaux (Including Ripples of Fate): mega.nz/#F!cg00BCoD!mDHocpgWP_hkkM3CpCBwrQ

Through the Breach (Complete): mega.nz/#F!Z9sVSYTS!U2J243KhVsUuOqAnsqTj4A

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models
Book 4 - New models
Book 5 - New models & Master upgrades

Discord voice chat for malifaux chat and memery: discord.gg/xWkuFRz

Through the Breach Fated Almanac - Basic rules for the RPG set in Malifaux
Through the Breach Fatemaster Almanac - GM stuff for the RPG

>What is Malifaux?
Malifaux is a 32mm Skirmish Tabletop game, with a focus on completing several different objectives, while denying your opponent their objectives

New Gaining Grounds Tournament Rules: themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/123837-gaining-grounds-2017/

Link to last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/)
mega.nz/)
mega.nz/#!cTwVUQIK!x2-ybWrRJ16sko-65LMgiXTnAaguFnFzTR6mOgJD7vs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for get shit on gremlins.

Hi
Does anyone have a link to new grades? The old one broken now.

so what are the winners of new ups in each faction ?

I think treeman (emissary from neverborn) is acctualy good and will be taken with titania now

B-b-b-b-b-but Some should be able to summon Fracois, ignoring Rare limit, otherwise he'll never get play?

I grabbed a zip of them. Where can I upload it that isn't crap on mobile?

I do like that Titania can make most of her crew fae now, which will really help with the utility of taproot and the Conflux upgrade.

Mega?

McMourning hiring pool expansion is probably the most significant, especially in guild.

Google (docs.google.com/)
or mega (mega.nz/)
Or something else. Will be great.

Uploading to mega now. Had to reset my account

many blessing user

Here it is

mega.nz/#!cTwVUQIK!x2-ybWrRJ16sko-65LMgiXTnAaguFnFzTR6mOgJD7vs

Thank u good sir. May the force be with u!

Mysterious Emissary was always good. Most underrated model in the faction.

I really like the look of Zoraida's super obey and Jacobs upgrades look pretty nice as well. Titania definitely got a big buff as well

>Ironsides now gets a steady stream of Adrenaline
Awesome

The errata was already good for Toni, and I am happy to see her get even better.

I think she's really fun to play so it'll be exciting to get to do everything she'll want to do now because she can generate her resource more easily.

>Cost: Ass
I know it's wrong, but I can't read it any other way.

Awwwwww shit son.
That's pretty damn good.

Any early thoughts on Beasts/Academics and Showgirls to take into Ressers?

That's a good point - what's the wording on those?
Who can Saemus get his grubby hands on?

McMorning probably would like the Dawn Serpent, Scorpius, and Razorspine Rattler as they can build up poison fast. I am really not certain about Academics however. I guess that Kudra would be decent.

Seamus is probably set with straight up Performers, as they mean more willpower duels and more healing for him, along with their general versatility.

Doug may hire up to 4 non-Gamin models with the Beast and/or Academic characteristic not of the crew's declared faction.

Seamus may hire up to 4 non-totem, living Showgirl models regardless of faction. Arise My Sweet can choose to summon a living Showgirl minion instead of a Belle. In both cases, the Showgirls lose living and become undead.

Someone tell me how do I Sandeep

How do you guys mount your models on their bases? I'm looking to use the texture presses from happyseppuku, press models into it lightly, then pin through the base into the legs. Anyone got any better ideas?

Please stop doing that every thread. It's not funny.

>Seamus may hire up to 4 non-totem, living Showgirl models regardless of faction.
Carlos?
Angelica?
CASSANDRA?

Wyrd have gone entirely too far with this one, lads.

A shame we can't take Smoke and Mirrors, Stunt Double, or Practiced Production, but c'est la vie.

Best Understudy targets in Ressurs?

Nurses

Oh wow. 4 different triggers and she has soulstones. Paralyzed and unable to take non-walk actions both sound ballbusting. As does ml actions only if your only good close range attacks happen to be ca or sh.

On phone, what's Molly''s?

She's my primary Master. This makes me happy as shit.

Man she's already so tight on upgrade slots though.

2 SS: After both players have deployed, you look at your opponent's unrevealed schemes but not any choices they made for them and a 1 action to discard an enemy scheme marker within 6" and draw a card once per turn
2SS: You may prevent 1 damage for each enemy scheme marker within 3" of Molly's summoned models instead of enemy models and whenever you reveal a scheme draw 2 cards

Yeah, that's my concern. It's been a few months since I've played her but I think one of her upgrades didn't come in to play much when I use her, so I'll probably drop that for the new one.

So anybody making big plans for the new upgrades?

I'm looking forward to popping Mei into a crew with Kang in tow and slapping some motherfuckers eleven times, but that's not such a huge change from normal.

What do you like to run with her?

Man, I think Molly got hosed on upgrades. They are both expensive and conditional.

Eh, neither's as bad as Gorgon's Tear.

Yeah, but I can at least get a use out of Gorgon's Tear every turn by spamming (0) actions, making the 3 points efficient by giving Molly 5 actions a turn. To have 3 abilities she gains from those two new upgrades be conditional and of limited use don't justify the points spent. And the one tact action is already on Phil and Nana, so not worth using one of Molly's precious actions for.

Are 10T good now? They always seemed like shitty version of other factions before.

Would you say they felt like... Chinese knock-offs?

I'm mad now. Not at you, just in general.

I never thought they were bad, but then again I don't really play in many tournaments. Shenlong is one of my favorite masters and can really do most anything. Its pretty funny to pull out tricks people have never seen before since they always expect shen to just push people around.

Shenlong has bad investment to reward ratios. McCabe is predictable once you've played against him like twice. Those are the only two even sort-of good masters 10T had, at least when I played, which is now two books ago with the release at Gencon.

Probably changing up my Asami crew, now that the Emissary helps her and Flicker becoming more important. Planning on parking the Amanjaku behind her and giving her effectively a free mask every turn. I do wish that her second new upgrade had let her hit dudes with her hair for damage, all things considered it shouldn't be that hard to eat models for more flicker. My main gripe with Asami is that she is never fun to play because of how resource intensive things have been, but that seems to be changing, even if it means that Asami will be sacced partway through the game.

10T are decent, it is just that they have a lot of models that aren't really taken. They have a distinct playstyle, and I would honestly say that every one of their dual faction masters is better in 10T.

What would you say the playstyle is? I always feel like I'm struggling to find a groove when I play them.

Whatever the Hell you want since they can borrow from everybody, but 10T excels at move and place shenanigans.

Making individual models better with lots of positive flips, pushes, places, and general reliability. With that you can do some pretty slick surgical strikes, whether that is just having Yasunori discard Recalled Training and charging down the board with triple positives, or a Guild Hound taking three positive flip glowing saber attacks in one activation, before reactivating to do it again, all after either are put in a perfect position by some other model. You will be seeing lots in the way of extra attacks and positive flips as opposed to huge damage tracks that you may expect from other factions.

This is where I miss the fixed lists of games like Dropzone, because I can pick apart exactly what someone means from looking at that. I always feel like 10T don't have the durability to last after that strike, and with low comparative numbers the number of positives you have don't matter compared to one good card in reserve from my opponent. It's hard to not broadcast which model you're giving all those buffs to, so I thought that had to be wrong.

It is certainly true that you are going to be trading pieces. You will really want guys like Terracotta Warriors or Low River Monks if you want to keep this guys going. For me at least, after let's say Misaki has gotten me all three points for Eliminate the Leadership or A Quick Murder, she has already done her job. It depends on how you play of course. Jakob and Shenlong don't really stack buffs like McCabe does. Being able to always have a good hand or being able to take Focus and Defensive as 0 actions or just being able to push out of engagements and where you want to be for a scheme is going to be a generally handy thing. TT aren't going to have as much in the way of brickwall monsters like Joss or whatever, though there are still decently durable guys like the Illuminated, Izamu, or sometimes TT Bros available to you.

I feel like 10T has a lot of very expensive models that take buffs very well, but there's nothing equivalent to them on the field to trade with. What are your go-tos for that? I've tried using Izamu, but there's way too much in the game that ignores armour right now, and 10T bros have yet to impress. I've got high hopes for the katanaka mob boss, just because he looks like a damn fun model.

Any Arcanists players here to weigh in on Marcus' upgrades? The limited seems like an unexciting but fine alternative to his existing pair, but the Poison upgrade is what I'm most interested in. Does it do enough to really make it a "viable" crew build for Marcus, or is still just a gimmick?

My best goto model in every game is the Terracotta Warrior. They make any minion last a great deal longer and turn Lynch into something scary with Huggy.Ten Thun bros work best with Lynch for all those free aces and running schemes, but if I need a ton of markers I just go Tengu pair. Mei and an Mech Porkchop can truly dominate the board. And get good backup from Obsidian Oni. And the Katanaka Sniper really holds his own for maintaining a serious threat.

I generally shoot for lynchpin models to kill or guys that are easy targets and can't hit back effectively. In a recent game against Lilith I had the Lone Swordsman clear out a couple of Waldgeists, using free focus to ignore Perfect Camouflage. In another I simply had a Guild Hound run up and kill Seamus, who having opted for Sinister Reputation (And some bad luck) wasn't able to slow the thing down beyond forcing me to waste on 11 on a horror duel.

The TT Bros are probably one of the better deals in the game as far as 5ss minions go. The bonuses they get to defensive are pretty nice, especially if you can take advantage of their defensive trigger to get it for free. Dance of the Heavens can't be ignored either, as you have a built in heal, armor, and free place all there among other things. They don't hit hard however, and mostly have a melee attack to tie people up (Hello Reach From the Branches) and maybe slow a model. I agree that Izamu is overrated, but the heal is nice. If anything I feel like you aren't necessarily spending stones on massively expensive models like Nekima or a Teddy, but making some models hit above their paygrade.

Based on the playtest, the Katanaka Crime Boss really does have utility, and I would honestly grab the guys over Samurai in most situations. He can of course go up to MI6, and he has min damage 3 which isn't too shabby compared to other 8ss models in the faction. What is really nice is the card draw which can really add a purpose to having him brawl guys in the middle of the board. I think that fragile can be useful in conjunction with other models.

Based on the renders I really do like the sculpts as well. They have the ornamental Asian thing going on along with the crazy steampunk masks. I know that some don't like them, but they are consistent with the aesthetic of the generic TT models.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone! I'll try something built around Lynch, 10T bros, Yu, and Lone Swordsman sometime soon and report back.

Also, what's my girl Mei Feng been up to since book 4's minifiction? I sorta wound up out of the loop.

Don't think she's appeared in any Chronicles stories, and we haven't seen Book 5 story details yet as far as I'm aware.

Sounds like the 10T are having a civil war though in the year since book 4.

I would assume that she would still be asleep. She will probably get a waking up story like Lady Justice and Perdita did.

TT are all about consistency. You get to stand exactly where you need, with however many AP you need, with heals coming out of their ass to let them live as long as they need, and flipping far more cards than your opponent can ever hope to.
They're not particularly sturdy or damagey, but if you have a solid plan in your mind you can and will make it happen.

She already woke up in book 4, in her character short.

So some friends of mine split a 2E starter set and are gonna show me how the game works over the next couple weeks. Ive glanced through some of the faction models and have come to like the Gremlins so far. Are the factions pretty balanced or am I going to get my shit slapped for going with the fun looking army?

No faction is ever perfectly balanced in any wargame, except maybe chess, and that's fucking boring.

Just play what's fun. Read the Pull My Finger wiki to see what you like.

>chess
>balanced
Haha.

Can someone post of Adze art from new book?

I am Zoraida player and want to see how it looks :)

I'm sorry what? How is he bad investment to reward? He literally saves so much ap by getting and giving focus as a 0 action, can switch styles for whatever the situation calls for, can literally steal things like fast and Reactivate from your opponent. What about him is a bad return on investment, when there's barely any investment in the first place?

Out of game investment, not in-game investment. He takes a hell of a lot more learning than any other 10T master does, simply because of all of the tricks and options he has at any given moment.

Ah. I would still disagree with that, because so long as your opponent doesn't take Zipp there's nothing he can't do in the game.

That's both point and problem. For other masters, you memorize their specific corner of the rules and you can do at least alright. For shenlong, you have to have memorized, and know when best to use, the entire rulebook.

Pretty much just her starter set; sometimes with gunsmiths/miners in higher SS games.

>Toni with gunsmiths
That's an interesting one.
I guess her base crew can make a pretty great gunline, with the captain and her controlling the no-man's land to keep the guns firing, and the Mages dumping Burning on folks to get the +flips for the Gunsmiths.
Huh, cool.

I'm picking up Kaeris later in the month, so maybe I'll get some Gunsmiths to try with my Colette-Mage list.

Hey guys, I just play tested this game at Gencon and I'm interested in picking up a crew box. What might be some good options for someone who enjoys rush downs and high damage?

Neverborn seems like it would be up your alley. A lot of quick high damage models, as well as being able to make models quicker with pushing them around.

The Viktorias (Hired Swords) or Lady Justice (The Guild's Judgement).

I got to go, but Wyrd's site, and the fine fellows of Malifaux General can halp you out with more details and other suggestions.

Gracias. I'll look into them and ask on the forums as well.

Is it correct that Broken Promises was on sale at Gencon? Also, does anyone have a clear picture of the Colette upgrade "Audience Participation"?

Yes. It's also on sale on the webstore, like all the other prereleases available at gencon.

Any idea of when we are going to see the rules for the models within? I am excited for Vogel especially.

Here's the last beta file. From what I've heard any changes were few and far between.

The Domador de Cadaveres looks even better now that I know he can be in a crew with a rogue necro or valedictorian.

Thank you!

How can it be in the same crew as a rouge necro or valedictorian?

Every faction is competitive, it's just that some models kind of suck compared to others. It varies based on factions of course.

> Gremlin player on forums calls Zoraida's upgrades meh
> Same player had previously wondered why people don't just listen to Gremlin players about their faction's balance in regards to the recent errata

oh boy

McMorning can hire Academics and Beasts, so he can bring those two over into Guild.

After Scorpion and Poison Gamin releasing, it is good to see a Master can lead the poison crew.
On the other hand, I don't want another "McMorning" on the board. Remove Virutent would be better.

I've said it before, I'll say it again - it is perfectly reasonable for any upstanding Malifaux player to hate Gremlins, indeed it is right to hate the Gremlin faction, because they are invariably played by Gremlin players.

Do we have any justification for the Beasts yet?
Or are we expecting "Rogue Nec and Canine Remains went so well, I'm going to chop up every animal I see"?

Nice=> Zipp, Zoradia, Ophelia, Wong
(Though I think some details should change.)
Medium=> Mah
Boring=> Somer, Ulix, Brew
There must be something wrong.
Thankfully, Gremlins have Bayou Bash.

>Every faction is competitive
That's not what the last 3 years of high level tournament results supports. What data are you citing?

Malifaux-rankings.com and personal experience.

Since the site doesn't support your claim, I guess 'personal experience' is supposed to?

>That's not what the last 3 years of high level tournament results supports.
That shows that the top players play their chosen factions.
Correlation is not causation.

But I'd agree that they aren't perfectly balanced.

No one claimed correlation was causation. It shows that the vast majority of Masters and models are suboptimal. I feel it's disingenuous to tell a new player they're all viable and balanced if a faction only has 1 or 2 masters that can even place.

Way to entirely miss the point. No one ever claimed anything to the contrary.

Hand-Picked men makes Gunsmiths a nice option for Ironsides; my personal favorite to run with her is the Rail Golem. It along with the Captain means you've got a ton of board threatening potential, and now that Ironsides is going to have 1 Adrenaline a turn so she can place herself more often, it'll be even more threat zones you can make.

The site shows that the differential between factions isn't large to the point where you are gimped for choosing a faction. I said as much that some models suck, but it isn't like 40K where entire factions sucks.

The noob who started the argument here:
This was basically what I was wondering. Or if one faction gets really popular will the devs cripple it in errata like P3 enjoys doing for Warmahordes. And I don't really plan on playing competitively, I just don't want to pick up a couple of masters to find out my friend's faction automatically stomps the fuck out of them by default.

Some masters and models really are sub par. While they have since bumped up Lucius who was previously the worst master, some like Mah Tucket and Kaeris are physically hard to get anywhere with. But every faction does have good masters and good models, so you aren't gimped by picking a faction that you like. Wyrd is much better at, well, everything than Privateer Press.

Well I'm continuing to miss your point because I haven't seen many new players buy entire factions. I'm speaking towards the implication the statement has on master selection for new players in competitive environments.