Paizo Games General /pgg/

Paizo Games General /pgg/

Victory Edition

What does your character do after a hard fought victory?

/pfg/ Link Repository (Pathfinder): pastebin.com/JLu5xXML
/sfg/ Link Repository (Starfinder): pastebin.com/6HjrnNZG
Current Playtests: pastebin.com/quSzkadj

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!cnxVHQpK!2tHhVXCabl5sgB5mEbKB5Wdu1VRDnA4GDTXHnPlHeMY
d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/#Table-Treasure-Values-per-Encounter
d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items
youtu.be/mPVpMxVn6mk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Before people inevitably ask, Dead Suns AP #1 details:

Dump starts here: (Cross-thread)
Or download here: mega.nz/#!cnxVHQpK!2tHhVXCabl5sgB5mEbKB5Wdu1VRDnA4GDTXHnPlHeMY

Ban this faggot falseflagging OP please mods

Suppose that you've got two parties, one with four PCs and another with five PCs. Assuming identical chargen rules and similar levels of optimization across the board, how many levels up from the larger party would the smaller party need to be in order for a fight between them to be even? Generally speaking, of course.

Okay, what nonsense did I miss while I was at work today?

this is an idiotic question and depends on so many factors that you must be trying to start shit

Considering that different classes will have serious effects on who can manage what to whom, the question is unsolvable with the little information we have. With your suggestions 4 casters will take 5 martials instantly, but 5 initiators will take 4 casters almost certainly.

Let's say I'm a Roil dancer + kinetic Knight kineticist. Is iron tortoise worth it?

dedicated star finder thread is over here

/pgg/, I'm a new GM and bad at coming up with treasure. What's some good CR3-4 treasure for a dungeon?

Depends, how big is your party?

4 people.
It's an "abandoned" mage's tower if that matters. Lots of constructs, undead, and such

Okay, that works out in your favor, because 4 PCs to a party is what the game normally assumes. There's a handy table in the gamemastering section which can help you figure out how much treasure to hand out for a given encounter.

d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/#Table-Treasure-Values-per-Encounter

The slow, medium, and fast columns refer to the different EXP tracks, so you can probably ignore them. If you're just giving your PCs as much experience as the bestiary entries say their enemies are worth, you only care about the medium column. It says a CR 4 encounter should come with around a 1,150 GP reward. But, there are a few things to keep in mind:

1) The numbers on that table are PER ENCOUNTER. So, when you say a CR 4 dungeon, if you mean a dungeon that contains three different CR 4 fights, you'll actually want to include three times 1,150 GP in the dungeon.

2) Wealth by level isn't an exact science. Putting in a little more or less treasure than the tables indicate won't hurt.

3) The treasure doesn't need to be just coins. You could include 150 GP and an item worth 1,000 GP instead of 1,150 GP, for example. You can also use stuff like gems or art objects instead of coins; mixing things up like that helps make treasure interesting.

4) Adding on to the last point, I still try to keep most of the treasure in the form of money, gems, etc instead of as magic items or other gear only one person can take. The party can split the loot more evenly that way.

5) I often count consumable items like scrolls or potions as only a fraction of their actual value for WBL stuff, since they're used once and gone.

6) You don't have to award the loot immediately after an encounter. A party in a dragon's cave might fight through 3 encounters with no reward but then kill the dragon and find a hoard worth as much as all four encounters should have been worth combined.

7) d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items

This page is your friend.

Thank you so much

I'd also toss in (at a slight discount) some weird research stuff that might be worth more if they can get it to another researcher.
An alchemist's tabletop that boils or cools anything set on the appropriate side, a restraint system for holding big undead nasties in place, an apprentice's side joke project wand that turns things bright green, etc.
Don't just pick random items, think about what they would have been used for. Unless it wasn't abandoned in a hurry, for example, it would be very odd for a golemry not to have ironworking/stoneworking/etc. tools.

You're welcome, good luck with your game, and may your players' items not be shitty Tian Xian knock-offs.

Give them 4 rings of Freedom of Movement. Trust me.

She bullies the cleric until her(male) pupils turn into hearts, of course!

First one shrugs and moves on

Second one thanks Desna

Third one writes it down in a memorable fashion so he can boast about it later

Fourth one takes a sippy of tea to numb the horrors of having killed something

Fifth one does occult thingies, I don't know, haven't had a chance to develop him further

>1
Praises the Sun and her companions
>2
Gloats and drinks heavily
>3
Praises the skill and mettle of his companions

After privately being a little surprised that she's still alive, she checks to make sure her team is still standing, and then takes a brief moment to straighten herself up to as prim and proper as she can get after a fight.

That second guy sounds very self-destructive.

You have no idea. Definitely an alcoholic, no real friends, despises only known family member.
It's a sad life, but if you drown the sadness in gold, wine, and blood, it isn't so bad. Besides, it's naive to think there's more to life than that!

Been traveling for a move halfway across the country and just found time to shitpost. What's the view of Starfinder so far?

Do they really have no true friends? Is there nobody who's opened up to them, and believes in them?

Ask in the dedicated Starfinder thread. You'll get more feedback, I think.

It's shit, nothing works.

It's perfect, it fixes everything!

It's meh, nothing bad or good about it

I WANT TO BE MARRY A CUTE LIZARD SOLDIER ICON

James Jacobs is a hack!

James Jacobs is a genius!

Starfinder hates white people and straight people

Starfinder is fair about all creeds of life!!

And there, I have simulated 95% of starfinder related posts that are not in-depth mechanical questions.

thanks lad; been a hectic week and missed out

No worries, chief. You're doing great.

>Starfinder hates white people and straight people

>Starfinder is fair about all creeds of life!

this doesnt please me at all

I want to give them a hug and tell them they're better than they think they are.

Them's the bones of when somebody brings the topic up. And trying to pipe in with an opinion other than either extreme, you get pic related as a reply or somebody tells you to get the fence post out of their ass and choose a side.

And like Hasture, with this third post on the topic, the King in /pol/ shall rise and bring about race discussions, unless somebody packed C4 with them

It's hard to say without having played with it too extensively, but it's pretty much what we figured. Some aspects are improved, some aspects are worse. Still it's an exciting time since people are still trying to figure out how all the different pieces fit together properly.

I didn't say that, user, but you can't go trusting folks. That's a mug's game.

But doesn't a mug of ale taste so much sweeter when there is somebody to share it with?

>sharing ale
That means less ale for me, stupid.

A mug I must be, then. I'd still drink with them.

Welcome back to another episode of "GM Wishes He Was Anywhere Else But Here"

Tell me your troubles, user.

Even chained up in my basement with my bully pole in your behind?

I mean, as long as you've got wifi.

>ITT: Gullible Anons
When will /pgg/ learn? Maybe some misadventures in space will kill your optimistic spirits.

He does, but he won't give you the password.

Is that a literal pole or euphemism for your penis?

Damn straight, I'll even leave you with one free hand while I'm working that booty.
That's real hospitality.

Is the answer to that really going to change your opinion on the matter?

What do you think, user?

That's right kind of you, I must say. I'll be right over.

>Being this cynical
Go to a circus, have a day on the beach, visit a fancy party with like minded people and travel to an exotic land to see how they have fun. Maybe you might finally crack a smile and realize just how fun fun is.

So Bones and Bed Shackles is pretty much a confirmed bamboozle. Are you disappointed?

Would you re-use the character you apped with for another game? Would you PM one of the other characters in that game, even now?

So let me rant a bit, I don't really bother with you guys since y'all are weird
>Ask GM if we can pursue downtime activities
>He agrees
>Ask him again later on since It was really important to my character's motivations
>He once again agrees
>Finally reach level where it starts being viable
>NPC that has gave the party trouble in a social encounter starts harassing me and trying to shake me down
>I do my best to fend them off and get back to business
>Every time I stop in town to pursue my precious downtime the NPC is there to be a thorne
>I once again ask the GM if downtime is ok
>He says its perfectly fine
>NPC eventually asks me to met in remote place
>Probably wants to duel me
>I kill the bitch
>GM gets mad at me

Literally why? I have done everything he wanted of me for so many books and he has to start being a cunt so far into the campaign.

>being naive enough to think it wasn't a bambie

>PCs start the campaign exploring some spooky pace like an ghost town, abandoned monastery, or ruined castle
>Place is dangerous in a mundane sort of way, little creepy, but nothing that seems terribly alarming
>After slaying some monsters and reaching the end of their investigation, the PCs find some tunnel/secret passage/basement that leads down into the earth
>Discover a sprawling underground complex that nobody would have expected, whose purpose is hard to determine
>PCs find a strange [plot artifact] and accidentally set it off, everybody passes out
>Waking up, the PCs all find themselves weakened (some number of actual levels removed, like removed-removed, not just negative levels) and hear/see ominous things, door they came in through is now gone or magic sealed
>Silent, full-power doppelgangers of the PCs are running about in the place now, each operating separately but all hunting the PCs down
>Level drop is significant enough that at first fighting the clones is near suicidal, but after regaining some of their strength and/or leveling up from exploring the massive underground dungeon, the party eventually becomes strong enough to take them on
>Party must defeat each clone before they can open the passage into the heart of the facility and confront [true BBEG who has been foreshadowed] in order to escape

Is this a bad idea or a terrible one? Would you just up and quit a game if this happened? Assume the players are told beforehand they will receive a power-down of X levels after a "prologue" (the short section before they become trapped underground) but not any specific details about how or why. Going for a very vaguely horror-ish (more in the vein of unsettling surroundings and a fear of the unknown) or at least "You are being hunted" vibe.

I still want to bang the shark.

Did you assert that they did, in fact, want to duel you? If not, that's just murder-and murdering NPCs out of the blue usually doesn't endear one to the GM.

Well, it might move me from reluctant acceptance to eager acceptance. But if you wanna keep it as a surprise, I can live with that.

>love confessions gone wrong

The NPC kept fucking with my shop and scaring away my patients, leaving when I attempt to confront them. They were some sort of town police so I assumed it was a corrupt shakedown.

I was confident with my PC's ability to fight and kill but only when I had the advantage in surprise so naturally I would fight this armored guard with a battleaxe on my terms before she could buff up.

See this is why tsunderes don't work with folks who have a real-life mind controlling them.

I knew there was high chance of boozling when I applied. I'm still a little disappointed.

No, I don't think I would. I feel like reusing a previous character is sort of disrespectful towards the GM. I've done it exactly once, and I still regret it.

No, I wouldn't PM anyone, even though I liked a lot of the characters.

You really think so? Yeah, I agree that anime hijinks dont work in real life specially when everyone has the potential to be deadly.

Her last words: "B-baka..."

No, this is why tsunderes need to go dere as well.

It was more of a john snow moment except an angry chemical lycanthrope was mauling this battleaxe bitch.

She just wanted to confess, you baka hentai! But seriously, I'm not sure what the fuck he was planning.

I'm more disappointed that the GM disappeared than anything. They seemed nice.

Now that its over I was also equally angry. It was a cold based campaign and my beastmorph was finally getting mummification. I asked him if it was ok and he said yes while sending an NPC to stop me while I was prepping.

A tad parched.

It wae an abvious bamboozle from the start and is probably the same guy from cabal crown and iron gods.

I fucking warned you pricks and you didnt listen. I'm also pretty sure he was the same guy from way of the wicked.

It's more an issue of... In media, you'll see the 'dere' parts, like their inner monologues, etc.

But in reality? Total bitch just snapped at you for no reason, possibly actually did something to ruin your day as well, and then walked off. Oh. Well fuck you too then.

I was scared that I would get my character axe fucked in his sleep while the mummification process was setting in. So better safe than sorry and better her than me.

See, that's EXACTLY what I mean! Reason!

That's the kind of thinking that breaks the GM's comfy waifu shenanigans. Shame on you for using reason instead of your libido to gauge a situation.

She could have also had some bullshit quest, but whatever. GM should learn to roll with the punches. It wasn't an unreasonable assessment.

sauce?

Alfredo, if you would be so kind.

One time, two of my players had left a pouch of strange alchemical things they stole from a suspected evil noble with the owner of the local alchemy shop, asking him to try and determine what it was.

When they came back later, he told them what it was and wanted to call the guards because the whole situation was pretty sketchy and he thought the guards should know the noble had it. Well, the guards had already caught the PCs snooping around and told them to leave the criminal investigations to law enforcement officers. So the PCs didn't want the guard involved.

Some threats come out when the store owner refuses to hand the pouch over to the PCs, but the threats are only meant to intimidate him into cooperation. The two PCs didn't really have intentions of backing their words up if it came to it. The alchemist moves to grab a bottled something from his belt, and initiative gets rolled. The alchemist goes last.

The first PC points his sword at the shopkeeper and warns, "Make any sudden moves and I'll stab you." The second PC uses Greater Steal to swipe the pouch from the shopkeeper's hand without him even noticing. The owner of the store then makes a sudden movement (trying to drink his extract of Invisibility to run for it) but takes an AoO and gets stabbed by the first PC.

Well, it turns out the first PC's player assumed this alchemist would be high level, and his character thought he'd be a tough guy. But he only had a couple levels, and not a lot of HP. When his PC gets a crit on the AoO and rolls almost max, it kills the alchemist outright.

It was really funny to watch my players argue at each other as if they had actually accidentally committed murder, and then describe how they attempt to casually leave the store and walk as fast as they can without looking suspicious until they're past the town gates, before booking it back to the rest of the party and telling everyone the party needs to leave and never come back.

I just wanted to share a story.

Funny, whenever I've thought with my dick the GM tries to cut it off. Whenever I think with my head, the GM turns out to have been trying to bed my character. And whenever I think with my heart, my GM had nothing planned at all and had to shut me down.

youtu.be/mPVpMxVn6mk

I absolutely love when PCs overestimate a threat and use excessive force. I think it's the funniest shit. I try to give clues so they don't misjudge, but when they do, I'm always in stiches.

Maybe I'm a scrub but this is my first time playing a module and it has been ROUGH for us. You cant blame me for being weary. I'm finally about to catch my break and I cant help but be suspicious of the npc that tried to fuck us over as we first tried to enter the town.

Question for an upcoming starship battle

Don't know if I missed it, but can a ship use a coilgun to fire on a tracking weapon say a Light Plasma Torpedo that's on the map and destroy it before it makes contact?

What AC and HP would the torpedo have?

>Accidentally committed murder

I'm always surprised how often I see that phrase on Veeky Forums.

Oh, I'm not blaming you in truth, it was a reasonable assessment of the situation. You might want to use nonlethal next time. If you're a natural attacker, there's no penalty for choosing it over lethal.

>Campaign is about defeating the four horsemen
>Started on the region ruled by Death, rolled a character who wanted to see his homeland liberated and his people restored to what they once were
>We complete all the quests the DM prepared for that region for now, so we're told to go to the other regions
>My character refuses, as he believes that every moment spent away from his homeland's soil is a moment wasted
>One party member argues that he should see it as just gathering more power to complete the goal
>Gets mad and calls me a contrarian retard when I say that my character disagrees and believes that if the party spends too long away from the island, their enemy will grow too strong for them
Why are people not allowed to disagree?

How would you homerule so that different weapon damages offer different advantages? Something like:

Blunt > Better at hurting people in armour, lower damage
Pierce > Middle of the road.
Slash > Better at killing fleshy opponents, top damage.

Or something of the style

Because that makes them contrarian retards, you contrarian retard. Wouldn't you agree?

Possibly provide bonuses based on armor type the weapon is striking?

Shit, maybe I should have done that.

Lol, there's always next time. People forget options and make mistakes. Whatever.

>TFW you will never be thought of like this

I want to party a Drow!

You or your character? If you, take it to /soc/ or PM THEM.

I'm a high school teacher. I'm always thought of like this.. Especially when I wear my loincloth, and dance my powerful haka in front of the class.

Let's be honest here, is there ANYONE here seen like that?

Sounds like the real problem was that you were probably holding up the game with your character's insistence on staying put. You can play whatever you want in Pathfinder, but that doesn't mean that whatever you want doesn't still need to play nicely with the party and the plot.

Calling names OOC is a low blow though, woulda been better if the situation could have just been talked through like adults.

That's basically what DR based on damage type already is. Bludgeoning weapons are great for breaking bones, that's why it overcomes skeleton's DR. It's easy to cut bits off a zombie's rotting body, so slashing trumps its DR. Piercing... Can't think of anything off the top of my head with DR pierced by piercing, but it's the good for fighting underwater, isn't it?

Captain Slow, for some reason.

>undead
onyx gems other necromancy themed value goods

>constructs
the construct itself or rare parts from them

>mage's tower
dude magic and cursed items

good old fashioned gold is also acceptable. check out the gamemastering chapter in CRB it helps out immensely with designing encounters and loot caches

Therein lies the problem. Being told to PM THEM makes you the one displaying desire, and thus weakness. You are in essence begging, competing with all others who PM THEM for attention. They are well within their rights to reject and ridicule you for being so foolish as to make your overtures.

If you are instead the one who is the object of another's desire, you will feel no such inadequacy, and may accept or let down offers from those who PM THEM at your leisure. You will feel confident, attractive, and stronger for having control over the conversation when you are PMed by THEM.

Animate Dead requires a single onyx worth 25 GP per HD of the thing you're reanimating. But how is a necromancer suppose to know how many HD the thing has? Is it something they can learn with a knowledge check? If so is it Religion because undead or just whatever knowledge would identify the monster like normal? Do they magically learn how many HD something has before they attempt to cast Animate Dead? Or do they just have to guess and if they guess wrong then poo-poo Mr. Necromancer you just wasted a lot of money on nothing?

Then post your dick on /soc/ with your Discord, and feel the control, I guess.