>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
Tell me about your party.

A ragtag group of fucking badass motherfuckers

First for elf butts.

First for gnome butts

>Bards and Druids are actual, legit jobs tho
Sure. Some armies have "rangers," some people may describe themselves as "clerics," and some might describe others as "barbarians."
But there's no one-to-one correlation between what's called x in the rules and what's called x in-setting. Not everyone with the druid class is part of the druidic religious system. Not everyone with the bard class is a traveling historian/minstrel. Conversely, not every traveling historian/minstrel has the exact set of skills that makes up the bard class.
Army rangers can be rogues or fighters. Characters with the ranger class can be scouts, foresters, guardians of civilizations, pirates, mercenaries, or lot of other professions/walks of life.
In the end of t he day, classes are just statblocks. Especially with the emphasis on refluffing features, any class can be used for a wide variety of characters.

>What about wizards.
What about them? A wizard can be a scholar, a hedge mage, a king's magical advisor, a tribal shaman, or any number of things that enable him to do magic in a relatively systematic way. Since you can even refluff your spellbook, there's nothing about the wizard statblock that strongly implies anything about your character's life, except that they use magic in a versatile way.

The party is a lizardfolk ranger who breaks out in hives at the mere mention of the word diplomacy, a rock gnome alchemist who keeps stealing all of the mechanisms from every trap we encounter, and an aven monk who constantly spouts in-character quotes with questionable relevance

First for halfling faces

Nah man, I'm explicitly telling you, you go to Bard School to get your Bard diploma and a Bard Title along with, if you're valedictorian, your Instrument of the Bards of the appropriate school.

It's like, I'm sure you can learn enough sound technician to become just as proficient a performer as a musician who took a performance arts degree, but that doesn't take away from the explicit meaning of his title

An Earth pony paladin who is the nicest guy in the world

A lecherous dragon alcoholic barbarian who is seeking vengeance against his former owners

A spunky crossbow fighter pegasus who just wants to do the right thing

A selfish unicorn sorcerer who ran away from home seeking answers, and instead found something to fight for

I wouldn't be surprised if any of the players or the DM were in here.

Are your halflings fat or lithe?

>Tell me about your party.
A dragonborn paladin that recently stopped worshiping an evil god to follow Bahamut.
An aarakocra rogue that prefers to stay out of the way.
A human barbarian that loves battle.
A half-elf bard that has thinly-veiled contempt for the rest of the party's shenanigans.
And a dragonborn wizard that is doesn't know how to mind his own business.

>>/mlp/

Depends on the setting, friendo.

>Human Paladin on a vision quest after foreseeing a great evil
>Changeling Fiend Warlock with tyrannical ambitions unknown by he party
>Dragonborn Champion down on his luck after he got fired from his job as a sailor, now working as a mercenary for the Changeling
>Half-elf Arcane Trickster who recently had to flee from her gang after being caught stealing from a fellow gang member so she could afford food, also now a mercenary for the Changeling
>Dragonborn Sorceror who wants to uncover the mysteries of the world, and is tagging along with the party so unravel said mysteries on their adventures

I'm not saying for example that you need to be a convicted felon to apply to the Thief archetype, I'm just saying if someone goes around saying "oh my God this guy is choking, we need a doctor", they probably that doesn't mean they want an envyromental engineer Refluffed as a spatula

>tfw will be leading a classical-style D&D game set on the Sword Coast, mainly in Neverwinter and in Icewind Dale, reliving your childhood nostalgia of PC games and R.A Salvatore books

This is a glorious feel

A half-elf swashbuckler trying to make a name for himself.
A human bard wanting to learn all of the songs that the world holds.
A goliath paladin out to destroy evil and trying to not be a complete asshole while doing it.
A half-elf wizard seeking hidden and lost knowledge.
A drow cleric trying to change her ways.
A halfling ranger who's there only to keep an eye on his friends.

Sounds bad. Neverwinter is dumb and the Salvatore books are retarded and full of plot holes and retreading the same character arcs.

>I'm just saying if someone goes around saying "oh my God this guy is choking, we need a doctor", they probably that doesn't mean they want an envyromental engineer Refluffed as a spatula
This is the most creative strawman I've seen in a while

That's a non answer. Depending on the setting all classes are called Odd Freddy and being a ginger is punishable by death.

Traditionally, historically even, a Bard or a Druid is a rather distinct job, like plumber or barber.

If you say "Oh I'm not the Tanner, I'm just the guy that takes in game to curate hide in exchange for goods and services" at some point you're the fucking tanner.

You sound upset, user. Stop being upset about things.

Seriously why you so angry

You are on Veeky Forums friend, some people will be angry no matter what

>angry_about_elves.jpg

He's saying in D&D you could use the rules and abilities for classes but call them something else in game. The game world might not even have a word for "Bard".

>Traditionally, historically even, a Bard or a Druid is a rather distinct job, like plumber or barber.
In D&D, a bard is someone who inspires others and creates magic through art. I'll bet you literally anything that the majority of D&D players who create bard characters are not part of any sort of formal "bard college."
Basically the same for druids, except I won't make that bet because it's possible people still treat them as members of an "old faith." But there are definitely thousands of druid characters that talk to animals and cast spells and wild shape but are not official priests of anything.

There's not a thing in there that suggests any kind of emotion. Not even a throw away insult. Sounds like you're projecting.

>bad
>dumb
>retarded
>not throwaway insults

ok, chum

>Tell me about your party.
They are all dicks except my character

How does your setting use the Bard College of Whispers? Are they a secret college that meets outside of an actual college? Are there Whispers college buildings like normal? Are they just the shady people that go to a different college?

Th-Thanks, I try my best to be nice

All of which are directed at things wholly unrelated to you.

Now do you really want to sit down and think about who's upset?

I am not disagreeing with that. Your argument becomes even more obvious when it comes for example to multiclass, as there ain't nobody going around introducing themselves as " Mr Paladin 3/Warlock 2".
And it's not universal either. Clerics for example are absolutely not (necessarily) Priests.

I'm saying conventionally, in some cases, if you go down to the pub and ask for the nearest Bard, it is entirely expectable to think you are going to be referred towards a Bard, with straight up Bard powers, and not a random dudebro in a booth who just learned how to play Wonder Wall.
(Even if that guy actually has secretly 26 levels in Barbarian)

I'm not even that guy, friendo. Still sounds like
>stop liking what I don't like
any way you look at it.

That still doesn't mean anyone is upset or angry.

If i wanted to make game where magic is art, rather than science and convert make all caster spontaneous caster - like sorcerers, who know what they know and don't change it every day. What would be good way to compensate preparation casters?

Obviously, they will get lvl+stat spells known, which is already more, but i feel i should add something more. Maybe not counting rituals into the amount?

You sound biased, but I guess any amount of that guys is theoretically possibal

Good d&d podcasts? Found "D&d is for Nerds" and "Bards and Nobles" in the other thread, looking for more to steal shit from.

Bard players shouldn't DM.

You do know that Art comes from relentlessly studying practicing for years right?

Arcana means literally "The Art"

>compensate
Just drop wizards altogether, or let them pick 2 schools and they have all the spells from those lists all the time.

I'll grant you that with bards there's a higher correlation between the class name and the in-universe profession name of those that have that class. My original point was that "which class has the most RP potential?" is an ill-informed question because your class does not necessarily inform anything about your character in-game.

Planning on doing a time loop/ groundhog's day scenario. Anyone have experience or suggestions running something like that?

The day culminates in a murder of a specific NPC that the players are already on their way to meet.

I'm getting beguiler flashbacks
This is not a bad thing

My newer episode of getting fucked by insane DM:
5 lv3 x 3 displacer beasts and 2 helm horrors
Will updated you guys

Use the fibonacci sequence to count how many times they've run through the scenario, and change the world around them accordingly once the thing is finished.

Sounds fun, user.

Should i tell my DM to stop DMing, then? I think he might be hurt by such suggestion.

Obviously, but it is something you need to 'feel' - there are parts of it, that you can't really describe and share directly. You can show others way, but they must walk the path themselv.

Didn't know that about the Arcana - i thought it means something like "mystery".

It's been pretty good, running Strahd and basically making a lot of friends. Just waiting for them all to stab us in the back.

How the fuck are 5 level 3s gonna get through 3 CR3s and 2 CR4s that all have at least 60hp, resistance to all your magic and mundane damage?
I don't care if you have all you're all Paladins with all your spell slots you can't burst more than two of them down at best.

niggawut

I DM for:

A human wild magic sorc who washed out of wizard school and ran away from his adopted elven father in shame.

A human totem barbarian who left the town she grew up in as a guardswoman because a bunch of mage contractors came by and built a wall.

A human vengeance paladin and member of an order of knights with a metal stake stuck in his head by a fiend which causes him to hallucinate and is being manipulated into evil by it.

An aasimar inquisitor rogue born from a divine-soldier-breeding-program who managed to escape from her home before being forced to fight undead.

So yeah, that's fun.

That's exactly why I'm posting about it, friend.

#
#
Yes, this is the one of the awesome things of 5e, say you drop the first target but you've already spent ki to make those further unarmed attacks can you make them instead at another target?

Anyone have DM maps for Tales? The trove has maps but they aren't numbered etc.

But how can you tell the DM has them use MM hitpoint values? I tweak shit all the time personally.

What happened to D&D? What happened to scrappy adventurers going into holes and killing monsters? Why is everything a goddamn epic story that no one will ever finish?

Sounds fun, mate. Would play.

Just let them have their fun, why are you this severely autistic?

Day 1 is day 1
Day 2 is day 2
Day 3 is day 3
Day 3 is 5
Day 4 is 8
Day 5 is 13
Day 6 is 21
etc etc

Then whenever they get out of the time warp bubble, all that time has passed in the real world.

Who's the dwarf?

Niggawat?

How many times do you expect them to play through the same content?

Yep

>Implying my party doesn't delve into dungeons and murder their inhabitants for treasure
D&D is alive and well, my friend.

Dwarf Nature Cleric
the lion headed guy is a Human Bear Barbarian
Genasi Immortal Mystic
Half-Elf Lore Bard
Halfling Assassin Rogue

>What happened to D&D? What happened to scrappy adventurers going into holes and killing monsters?
This is still a thing. There's also this thing called Tales from the Yawning Portal, guess what you do in those adventures.

>Why is everything a goddamn epic story that no one will ever finish?
This is a thing too, depending on the players and DM.
We're playing Out of the Abyss because we're really liking the overarching story but it's also being a series of bouts of killing monsters, and surviving by the skin of our teeth.

You should try playing instead of going full autistic.

Niggawut?

My group does both. Why settle for less?

I'm the DM in a full homebrew setting that started off as an homage to Eternia (pulpy 80's action, swords and wizards and lazer guns) and was going to have a strong focus on being stuck outside of civilization for extended periods of time but my ADD-riddled players who started out on board with the idea ended up preferring to just fast-track to the next encounter / plot point.

That's an interesting approach, but I highly doubt we're gonna have to do this more than a few reps. I was even thinking of giving them an indicator somehow (like marks on their body or an item they find at the beginning of the loop) that counts down X times until the loop breaks. X being < 8

Thanks for input, both ideas sound very viable!

But user, Tales from the Yawning Portal are just rereleases of old adventures, trying to sucker people in using nostalgia exactly like out of the abyss, storm king's thunder and tomb of annihilation do/did

Do you get mad when bands put out Greatest Hits collections too?

Considering 80% of all threads include posts like "how do I convert [module] to 5e?" I'd say that's probably not a bad thing.

What is Tales from the Yawning Portal, autist. At least make an effort not to be a fucking retard.

But you play as scrappy adventurers going into holes and killing monsters. Which means that that user's assertion that D&D has changed for the worse in any direction is blatantly false and disingenuous.
It really sounded like severe autism.

Because that's the default assumption?

But outside of White Plume, none of these are good modules. and even then, white plume is notable only because it's "tomb of horrors but not retarded"

They were and are well liked. They're greatest hits for a reason.

>t. Stop liking what I don't like!

People ask for conversions of modules all the time, but that doesn't change the fact that 5e has not produced anything of value, with everything being either a rerelease of an older property, derivative of an older property, or entirely original and completely shit.

Tyranny of Dragons: Original, but complete shit.
Princes of the Apocalypse: A ripoff of The Temple of Elemental Evil
Out of the Abyss: A ripoff of Queen of the Spiders
Curse of Strahd: An "updated rerelease" of Castle Ravenloft
Storm King's Thunder: A ripoff of Against the Giants (which strangely enough, got rereleased in Tales from the Yawning Portal. Did they think no one would notice...?)
Tomb of Annihilation: A ripoff of Tomb of Horrors

5e needs to create something wholly original, as nostalgia can only keep people going for so long before they move onto something else.

>for a reason
Memes, in the case of ToH, and "well 20 guys with a Dragon magazine subscription said they liked this one they never played based on the review by this guy, so it must be a classic".

Have you actually played through those modules or do you like shooting your mouth off with no basis?

Does Barbarian/Druid sound like a good multiclass combo? I feel like Reckless Attack and Rage work well with a Moon Druid throwing animal forms and disposable HP into melee, although I feel like the words "weapon attack" in the description of Rage might trip me up.

Similar to the Terrain Encounters table in Out of the Abyss, can you guys help me compile a list of events/encounters a party might run into while infiltrating an enemy camp? It's a big camp, and there should be a slight margin of error regarding stealth for the players (meaning a failed stealth roll doesn't mean instant game over). Not trying to make it Big Boss European Extreme.

Stuff like:

> A large dog has caught the parties' scent and won't leave you alone. (DC10 Animal Handling)
> Just out of sight is a well-manicured patrol on the lookout. He seems to be looking in your direction. (DC14 Stealth).
> 2 patrols seem to be converging on the players' position from different directions. It doesn't seem like they've spotted them yet...
> Players find the grain storage suspiciously empty.
> The party finds themselves at the animal cage. One of the beasts has spotted the adventurers, and begins to sniff around amorously. (DC14 Animal Handling)
> The players find the barracks, and catch 4 of them asleep.
> The guards are alerted that someone was seen slinking around the camp, and everyone is on guard. (Stealth checks made in the next 1 minute are made with disadvantage)

>casting two spells in a turn
>stacking temp hp
>no concentration checks
>don't use feature of beasts despite describing them
I'm gonna bail

I've been playing D&D for 9 years now and I hadn't played a module until just this year. I like that 5e is easier to get into, and I'm glad the old stuff is being converted by the company so I can try it out now that I have an interest in it.

Natural weapons are still weapons

Of course he hasn't fucking played them all, if he had he wouldn't be shitposting on a troll board, because it would mean he has friends and spends his free time productively instead of shitposting on a troll board

>casting two spells in a turn

You can do this just fine.

Yeah, they're a great combo. Barb offensive and defensive powers work great with wild shape.

Dragon magazine went to a few thousand more customers than that www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?222703-Dragon-Magazine-Circulation
But good on you for making up numbers.

The other adventures were released stand alone and were actually good to be as popular as they were.

Bonus action spell and action cantrip are the only way to do that if I remember right.

Yep
>A spell cast with a bonus action is especially swift. You must use a bonus action on Your Turn to cast the spell, provided that you haven’t already taken a bonus action this turn. You can’t cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.

This is harsh but fair.

Out of the things I've listed, my group never finished Tyranny of Dragons. We finished Princes of the Apocalypse and Out of the Abyss, and the group is currently in the final act of Storm King's Thunder. We didn't play Curse of Strahd though. I just want Wizards to release an original property, like how they released Eberron at the beginning of 3.5's life cycle. All 5e has released so far is derivative and unoriginal.

PotA and ToEE have very little in common, aside from Moathouse / Rivergard and the notion of a temple itself being full of four different cults.

We may as well say any module that heavily features undead is derivative of every other because "oh there's a hole in the ground with zombies and an evil wizard"

What are some rare animals I can give to an exotic animal salesman?

I'm making some random encounter tables, and he's on my list of "unusual non combat encounters"

Already have an elephant and a pseudodragon (still need to figure out what it'd cost) and for less useful but still kind of odd to own as a pet - a ferret, a red fox, a lizard, a large snake. Other ideas?

Think of an animals in the zoo. Then realize that pretty much none of them are indigenous to ye olde England.

I'm talking about 2 leveled spells you double nigger and you knew it