media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:

What are your favorite giant sea creatures /5eg/? (Eldritch or otherwise.)
What impacts do they have in your campaign?
Are any of your players Sorcerers or Warlocks with gifts from them?

Rate my level 3 storm sorc spell list.

What are some good weapons to create with the pact of the blade? To cover all of the physical damage types.

Is it really THAT hard to look at the weapon table and pick the three highest for each type?

So, my party's sorceror added a new thing to his wild magic rolls.
No matter where he is, my wizard will appear behind him.
It's already procced once and it's fucking hilarious.
nuthin personnel, kid

Was wondering on people's opinions really, but do continue being autistic.

In this case, a good weapon is defined by how much damage it does. There's no opinion involved. Instead of throwing out insults, I suggest you stop being a lazy fuck and glance at the choices yourself. This isn't even hard.

O Pelawdy, I can see it now
>Fedora of atheism, +1 on ranged m'agic rolls vs celestials
>Cursed trenchcoat, persuasion rolls with the opposite gender at disadvantage
>-1 Non-battle ready katana
Behold the neckbeard necromancer in all his glory!

who's dick do I need to suck to finally find a group

A character in our party has some mental problems. She's had a rough past like 85% of adventurers tend to do and is starting to question her choices and blaming herself for everything that goes wrong, while slipping towards her old ways of being a chaotic evil asshole.
The party has a mystic working for them at their base, one that has actual levels because I played him during a side quest that a player DM'd. The troubled character came to the mystic seeking for help since he's the expert on mental stuff.
We talked about the possibility of him trying to help her by poking around in her head trying to help her in some way. Directly affecting her mental state would probably be bad in the long run.
I offered to try a more subtle approach. Using Psychic Inquisition's Phantom Idea I would implant some ideas in her head, like making her believe that's she's strong enough to endure this or that she's blaming herself too much. Minor things, not just forcibly making her not question herself.
We decided to repeat this process every 48 hours to keep up at all times.
I'm no psychologist but I'd think that an idea would actually "stick in" if it was enforced for long enough. Like trying to become more confident by posing in front of a mirror and telling yourself you are confident which I hear actually works.
What do you think? Would it work like that? Are mystics the perfect shrinks? Diminution says yes.

>friends cantrip
are you trying to fucking die? That cantrip is worded making people want to murder you
>no scorching ray
>no flamebolt for a long range at-will option
>no feather fall
granted that can be done by another caster so it could be fine

Overall it's kinda bad if you want to be blaster man, which is all sorcerer is good at except for twin casting haste/enlarge or reduce/polymorph/truepolymorph
What sorcerer type are you?

I would let it fly if I were the DM, but purely because getting this shit every session from her would get tiresome pretty soon. If you gonna play a "woe is me" character, he's better be busy overcoming his problems with grim determination, not whining all the time.

it's 50% that 50% "oh for fuck's sake not THIS again"
the first time it happens I was at a meeting half a continent away

To be fair she just started this a session or two ago. Their adventurers have been kinda grim lately and they have made some really bad choices like letting a monster out of Shadowfell that killed at least a thousand people before they found him and stopped him.
That's what you get for trusting huge, grinning and clearly evil shadow-men.

There's really no reason to be autistic.

Probably DM's.

I'm interested in getting started with TTRPs and 5e seems like a good place to start. I've already mentioned it to a few friends and they seem to be interested as well. Is the Starter Set a good buy? I know the various rule books are easily found online, but I think having physical pages to look through will help myself and the players (who are all new to TTRPs as well) understand the rules better. I don't want to risk people scrolling through their phone to look up what their abilities do again. Will the starting rules be enough for at least a few sessions or is the DM/PH books are a necessary/desirable for further play pass the first session? I'm don't want to pay for basic rule books if I'm just going to immediately shelve them for the full length rule books.

literally no one plays where I live. I went to hobby shops and the like. online groups are never in euro time zones.

If I had a wish spell i'd use it to find a fooking group

>not wishing to replace football (both of them) with D&D

I tried to find a group for like 9 years until I just gave up. Then purely by chance I found six other people who were interested in playing and now we've been playing for 10 months and nobody's quit yet.
Good luck.

I feel like that wish spell can be tainted. imagine telling your dm " I wish every orc will be replaced with an elf"

I'd just really rather the annoying screaming fucks at my work yell about Orcs sucking again and Dardenne Bladesinger having a shit adventure instead of Dontreyvion Blatt being the best passer of all time.

Are there any mystic-style enemies yet? Even homebrew ones? I need some for a secret order of psionic assholes the party's going to run into soon.

>take any wizard enemy
>replace spells with mystic powers of similiar effect

Friends doesnt say they want to murder you, they just get angry. Whenever I use it, I its generally to get information from certain people. I just make sure to get as far away from them as possible by the time the 1 minute is up. My DM sees it as someone tricking you by "cheating" so most people would be angry but generally unless they are really bad people then it isnt bad.

So I just added an Archdruid onto my campaign, and I was thinking of ways to make him interesting and unique

I was torn between making him a thrall of a Gulthias Tree (permanent bark skin) or letting him wildshape into Half-Dragons, like a Half Dragon Subterranean Lizard, or polymorphing into a half dragon T-Rex

England? Brits are at a disadvantage desu, we don't like to travel too far from the scones

not england. but still, I gave up on the concept of a live party years ago. im just looking for some online play.

>guy gives answer
>still calls him austist and doesn't help explain what he wants from us

idk man, between you 2 you are looking pretty autismo yourself

Do most people in this general already have groups? Could you just ask for members here?
I actually don't know, I'm really new at this and I'm not sure what the etiquette is regarding LFG posts in the general.

I think permanent Bark skin os already pretty memorable (play it up in the description, like have it sport them lichen tufts and a few leaves, even (especially) in Wild Shape) and them in battle drop a half dragon as a reveal if you feel like you're short on those

How would you build melee Paladin 2 / Lore Bard X?

I like the idea of using Staggering smite with 4th level Divine smite at PC level 8.

Maybe using magic initiate to get Booming Blade and Eldritch Blast so I can do everything, in-combat and out of combat?

I share being the DM for a game with my friends. I want to talk with the other DM about making some changes to the abilities used to climb.

Does it make sense for Athletics to be used to climb up things when you have the tools for the task; knotted rope, climbing up ice with foot picks and those ice axe things, and climbing up a wall or cliff with a harness and rope; however, if you are unprepared, it is a athletics check as well as an acrobatics check. Some of the players were annoyed that the Paladin and Fighter in heavy armour were able to climb a rock wall in a dungeon but a Gnome Rogue and a Wood Elf Ranger couldn't until a rope was tossed down.

Read PHB. You dont have to make atheletic check to climb unless the wall is especially slippery.

You are a heroes, you shouldn't fail at mundane task.

I'm not exactly clear on the rules about bonus action spells. Can a Sorcerer use Quicken metamagic on a level 1 spell, use their action to cast a cantrip, and afterwards use their bonus action to cast the quickened spell?

>magic initiate to get eldritch blast
that's retarded, just put levels into fey bladelock warlock to get ranged smites with the moonbow, along with some eldritch blast that adds cha mod to damage

This may seem an odd question, but are there any well-written 5e game recollections/stories done by players? Sort of like how Shoggy done with the All Guardsmen Party or TwoDee done with his storytime?

What's a good name for a baby hook horror?

Yeah, if she acts with confidence long enough, chances are she'll internalise this trait.
t. psychologist

Control water is fucking with me hard as a DM. I'm thinking about making a higher level spell simply because I can't justify having an instant 'destroy any ship within 300 ft' spell available to any level 7 cleric, druid, or wizard.
Did the creators even think about the implications of the effects when they wrote out that spell? No other 4th level spell is that devastating.

DM a short adventure in roll20, while slowly teaching your players how to DM and how fun it is.

He uses Animal Shapes to turn half the forest's little critters into CR3 Giant Scorpions, or some CR4 beasts if you use third party stuff. Good luck getting to him.

there used to be an LFG general, but it died and no one bothered to make a new one

Do people get mad if you make LFG posts here?

I know very little about D&D so far, but fill me in on exactly what the spell does and I'll try to help you maybe logic your way out of it.

no idea. there also used to be a /5e/ discord but I don't see it posted at the OP anymore

25% chance to capsize not instant destroy

You use the action to cast the cantrip and the bonus action to cast the quickened spell. Nothing wrong with it. Just keep in mind you can't cast two leveled spells in this manner and that you can only use 1 bonus action per turn.

Use bigger ships.

make it a DC. at level 4 it's a 10 DC to destroy a ship. DC increases by 2 for every spell slot expanded.
save modifier can be by ship. a small fishing boat might be at -5, a galley at +7 etc

It can make a 100x100x100 cubic ft trench in a body of water (it has a potential effect called part water). There are no stipulations to it, but I think it was intended to pass through difficult areas not you know sink ships. Still the effect stands.

What is stopping them from making a deep trench that a ship falls into and then subsequently crashes into the water (100 ft nose first drop)? Even if they make they're likely to ram into the wall of water that is also in front of them.
I think the wave is the intended way to sink ships but part water is significantly better at the job in every way.

Imagine you take a cube of water, 100 feet on a side.
Now with that cube of water you can:
>Flood, which rises the water 20 feet up, and then spills it everywhere, throwing everything that was in the cube around fast as fuck
>Part, which pulls a Moses
>Redirect flow, self explainatory
>Make a whirpool, anything that gets into the middle takes 2d8 damage per turn

The wave doesn't instantly destroy ships, just gives a 25% chance to capsize them. The trench is a big drop but it may be survivable, especially if it's big and you halve falling damage in water, and the trench option specifically states that it slowly refills so it's not like the water would come crashing down ontop of it.

Now that it's been about a month, what are people's thoughts on the alternative initiative system?

Has anyone even used it?

I remember watching an interview where Mearls said "I had to DM for 7 people that night, and decided to just try out the system, it worked great! Everyone was so engaged"

Granted if you literally make DnD for your job the people you play with are probably a lot different than the average Veeky Forums or reddit poster.

How does the ship stop? Where is it's instant anchor to not slam into a wall of water?

Do they gain control of any water that enters the cube area AFTER the spell is cast? Or do they only control the water that was present there at the time of casting?

Trench makes the water move apart so the boat moves with the water

So why not get an NPC boat and stick a 7th level cleric, druid, or wizard on it and fuck the PCs with control water, then, or at least counter it? A particularly seasoned naval outfit that knows to fuck the enemy spellcaster immediately?

This is basically my problem

it's not happening under them

I've thought of that, but like still it's just ridiculous that most naval ships NEED a spell caster of 7th level or else they're fucked.

It was a DC 17 to climb and the rounds were being tracked.

Do oceans even count as "freestanding" water, which the spell specifies?

I feel like if oceans didn't count that would be kind of ridiculous as well.
I'm okay with these effects it's just not as a 4th level spell.

How slow is the ship moving if the caster is able to form the trench so fucking close to them? Surely the ship would either have time to change course or be so close to the trench that it would just be moved along with the water.

You should just say when the trench option moves the water apart, the ships move with it.

Moonbow doesn't exist anymore user. The new UA remove it. Try reading it next time.

You could make the argument that part water only allows them to control a square cylinder of water, rather than a true cube.

As in, they can create a 100x100x100 void, but only by pushing the water sideways, rather than down. This means that they can still use it to cross bodies of water by creating an opening across the floor of it, but if they try to use it on the open sea or anywhere deeper than 100 feet, the surrounding water will fill the void from the bottom since the spell doesn't allow them to push water down, only part it.

This means part water will essentially have no effect in bodies of water much deeper than 100 feet.

Then the players will make the trench open up 5ft infront of the boat so that happens.

It takes a total of 1 action for it to take effect. and it's 100x100 hole

The casting takes less than 6 seconds to form a 100ft void. I say less than 6 because the caster can do a lot more with their turn than cast a spell such as draw a weapon and use a bonus action.

user, 7th level spellcasters do not grow on trees, they are the 1% of the 1%, petty sorcerer-kings, exalted prophets and proactively minded archdruids in charge of thousand-strong occult hierarchies.

What does freestanding water mean

When you part the water you just push two sides and I could think that the water from the opposite ends would just pour in but even then the effect is still devastating.
I don't think the water would just rise from the bottom right?

"Standing water is a pool of water of any size that does not flow. It can occur after excessive rains, severe storms, from hurricanes or other natural events but can also be caused by human induced methods such as an old bucket or abandoned swimming pool." Source Google.

I mean, I think it's reasonable to be capable of "parting" the water in two directions at once, allowing you a square of control rather than a line.
In such a situation, if you had control of the sides but not the bottom, the water would rise up from the bottom.

If you made it so that the caster only had a line of control, then you're right, the effect would still be devastating.

But the first option is logical enough and would solve your problem, and you're the DM, so you could just use that one, right?

Imm gonna fight a lich tomorrow, any tips

they have shitty HP, hit them until they die.

obviously you'll want to find their phylactery or whatever first.

Multiclass into cleric 5 levels ago?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean from water rising from the bottom.

Would that definition be the same as freestanding water? The spell can redirect flow of water as well so I don't know if that's what they mean.

Forgot to mention that its a demilich with the steal your soul sidebar

Seduce them, see if you can make them suck your dick.

Only 80 HP. Just Nova it.

same principle

Imagine partially submerging an empty cup into a body of water. You've now got a cup-shaped void in the water, right?
Now punch a hole in the bottom of the cup. The water flows through the hole and into the void, because the pressure being exerted on the entire surface of the water forces it upwards through the hole, so that the surface level is equalized.
You no longer have a cup-shaped void in the water.

This is what happens when you attempt to create a void in water without being capable of pushing the water down. The water at the bottom of the void rises to fill the void.

Magic Missile

Auto hit, no save required, they take full damage

Just unload non stop

I mean if you open a 100' wide trench 5' from a ship, the ship gets pushed back with the water about 50' assuming it opens in all directions equally. And I can't find anything on a mandatory minimum speed for a sailing vessel. It can just stop and wait, I guess.

>lich doesn't have a brooch of shielding

Dont forget they resist magic weapons, have 20 AC, take no damage on save or half on fail and can drain avg 63 hp a turn

>lich doesn't have shield
>if lich has shield implying it would waste its precious reaction to stop a shitty magic dart

Evocation Wizard might actually be useful here.
7th level Magic missile
= 9d4+45 = 67.5 damage.

Okay I understand now I think.. That does lessen the effect somewhat, but I still think it's pretty devastating. How long would it take to fill back up? That's the next question. if it's longer than a turn I think the ship is still pretty fucked as it will still be slamming into water.

I don't believe it does open equally. It seems to say that it only pushes two sides of water out of the way. That makes me think that you could actually open it in such a way that a flow of water would push the ship IN the hole.

Its a demilich, dog. No arms and no spells. Takes ~27 individual missiles to kill a demilich which three spellcasters could do in a round

I searched for 'Free standing water' and that's what came up. It seems they didn't know exactly what standing water was or simply didn't put a lot of thought into the spell and so the spells' description contradicts that definition.

I've read ahead a bit and seems you said it's a demi lich and people seem to think it's going to be easy. They may be right but remember your dm may throw some skeleton/zombie minions at you to pad the fight. It's hard to focus on the lich if you have a mini legion of undead to think about as well.

Demilich only has its skull. How can it equip a brooch?

Are there any content creators in the 5eg that aren't shitty homebrew? The osrg has a few namefags and bloggers that put out stuff I use for my 5e games, but I never see anything worth using in these threads.

>but I still think it's pretty devastating.
How so?
>How long would it take to fill back up?
I imagine it would refill almost instantaneously, given the incredible pressure exerted by the entire ocean's area to a 100 foot depth.

you can find some decent shit at dmsguild, depends on what you mean by content though

its got eye sockets n shit

Basically anything that isn't an unbalanced class/archetype/spell.

Something usable for a DM rather than a player.

Would it still be filling that fast if two of the sides were also pouring water?

Yes, except in that instance the water on the surface next to the void would be flowing directly into the void, rather than straight down.
This means that instead of the ship next to the void simply bobbing up and down a bit as the void is filled, it goes on a river rapid ride as the water it's sitting on flows toward the void.
This would not be as bad for the ship as the 100 foot drop you're dealing with now, but it'd still be really bad. Imagine a ship riding the aftermath of a dam breaking.