Meta thread

Should Veeky Forums adopt something similar to pic related?

I, too, miss quests.

If you think 5e, Pathfinder, 40k, and MtG should be the only things ever discussed, then yes, and also you're a faggot. Otherwise, no.

Honestly we should get rid of CYOA threads. They're basically just autism and do nothing but take up space.

Quests need to stay where they are. If Veeky Forums needs anything it's for mods to recognize that these threads are just the same /qst/ angst fest over and over and start deleting them on site. We've had this meta thread over and over and it always devolves into the same old shit. It's just salty about qst general; might as well put that in the title field and stop trying to be coy.

As far as this "generals are worse gib Veeky Forums back" argument goes - that's ridiculous. First of all, megathreads that reach bump limit and get remade aren't going anywhere. They're popular and have only become more popular since the term was coined. If generals are a problem, they are not a Veeky Forums problem, they are a Veeky Forums problem. Trying to use the popularity of generals, which transcends any single board, to justify the return of quests is ridiculous.

Furthermore, the typical argument that Veeky Forums isn't creative without quests is also bogus. It wasn't particularly more creative before your exile either. Veeky Forums of old wasn't the way it was because of quests and bringing them back will add no more spontaneity here than more general threads or whatever else have you.

Hopefully this shit thread will sink and be replaced by a useful creative thread, since the mods are content to let you take Hiro's suggestion and use it as an eternal blank check. Complain about generals then make this over and over, oh the ironing.

Oops. On sight, not on site. Need my coffee.

I'd prefer these threads off the site if anything.

Me too

The key difference is that anime is a passive medium, while tabletops are an interactive medium. There is significantly more to discuss when it comes to tabletops, as you never really run out of fresh content as more games are always being played.

The entire mobile network of that one guy who mentions quests in every thread he doesn't like should be permabanned from here. Sorry for the collateral damage folks, but it's the only way to get rid of him; he'd rather spend his time spamming Veeky Forums with offtopic comments than actually try to improve the quality of the board that was generously gifted to him and his buddies.

Hear hear.

Mods should be disowned not adopted.

No, absolutely not. We do not need more arbitrary rules to argue about.

Are questfags still angry that they have a whole board to themselves now?

If you love quests so much, why are you here and not on that board making it a better place?

Are you so creatively bankrupt you can not draw in an audience for them ? Are they so unpopular that they should be permabanned?

>I, too, miss quests.
Same.

The problem is, for """reasons""", the metathread on Veeky Forums is always deleted as soon as our mod sees it. This has been the case since Hiro said that we could have a metathread, and has continued even after Hiro told the mod to stop deleting it.

>that one guy
What about the rest of us who want quests back where they came from?

>the metathread on Veeky Forums is always deleted as soon as our mod sees it
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Please god, a Veeky Forums without generals would be the promised land

At least bring back the text boards and shove generals there

I don't understand why people think generals should be banned.

Why are people on this board so concerned with getting Veeky Forums-related stuff banned just because they aren't personally interested in it?

Veeky Forums-related things are great, general-form threads are cancer that kills Veeky Forums-related things.

While I agree with it as far as /a/ goes, I don't think you could follow those rules 100% on Veeky Forums since I believe Veeky Forums needs generals to function these days. Back when Veeky Forums was younger you could get away without having generals because the tabletop market was strangled by 40k, D&D, and Magic, yet now we have dozens of rpgs, wargames, and card games to choose from on top of a much larger board population. Generals are a necessary evil here in order to keep resources active, allow people with similar game experiences to talk together, and most importantly to cut back on stupid pointless edition/game warring so that Veeky Forums doesn't become /v/ with dice.

Now removing low energy shitposting and lewdposting with a microscopic connection to Veeky Forums I am 100% for.

>Veeky Forums-related things are great, general-form threads are cancer that kills Veeky Forums-related things.
>things I like are good, things I don't like are bad

OK, but can you explain why you want to ban a thread about an RPG

The mindset that generals are a necessary evil has only led to further stagnation of discussion, circlejerks, and just faggotry in general. The options for our games do not mean we have to shove them into fetid pits and let them rot.

Oh yes, I would fucking love having to sort through 30 threads of Pathfinder bullshit and 40k shitposting to find a topic I give a damn about.
Generals keep the games I care about and the games I don't give a fuck about in a nicely searchable format.

>wanting nothing but arguing about D&D with everyone using a different edition, MtG threads where every other post is "what format?", and 40k memeposting

Anyone who mentions quests should eat a two week ban.

You're being a faggot user. Stop that. I want threads about RPGs and I don't want them to be general threads. Generals are... I'm not sure how to adequately describe it. They are a routine. The bad kind of routine, the kind that allows the worse parts of a board to grow unchecked.

It's basically spam and reposts to the worst degree, coupled with posters developing personas and worse that leads to a very circle jerking kind of post-response formula. This kills the discussion, leaving those RPGs a stale topic that never, ever falls off like a natural thread should. It is against the very core of this style of imageboard.

You're deluded if you think that's anything new, or anything to do with generals.

I've been here long, long before generals started, and consistent threads discussing the same game always existed. They always had relatively consistent groups of posters, their own in jokes, their own weird pockets of board culture.

The emergence of 'Generals' wasn't a new concept. It was a new name for something which had been on the board, fuck on the fucking site, from its inception. Blaming generals is just looking for a quick fix rather than acknowledging a less pleasant reality.

Banning 'generals' would change literally nothing. The same threads would still exist, they just wouldn't have 'general' in the name. And if they didn't, how the fuck would you know? Do you ban every pathfinder thread not about a specific topic? Do you ban every OP with an even slightly generic 'Hey, let's discuss this game' pitch? It's utterly unworkable.

>It's basically spam and reposts to the worst degree, coupled with posters developing personas and worse

We've had this since 2007.

>golden_neckbeard_shirtless_selfie_087.jpg

I don't see how "here is the thread for random questions about [SYSTEM]" kills the discussion or makes those RPGs a stale topic. Lots of people like [SYSTEM], so it makes sense to have a thread where people who want to talk about [SYSTEM] can find other people who are knowledgeable about [SYSTEM].

Am I the only one who feels like the same people who whined until quests were kicked out are the ones trying to get generals banned? All these arguments seem to boil down to "I don't like the way these people are using Veeky Forums for Veeky Forums-related enjoyment".

If anything generals just need to be more heavily scrutinized by mods than non generals, and once discussion degrades too much they should be culled for a week or so. That'd stop shit like mass effect general and katawa shoujo general from happening.

Were you under the impression that generals prevented people from making threads about certain topics? Here's every 40k thread that's up right now, and this is with /40kg/, /40krpg/ and /hhg/ filtered.

MtG is similar, with about 10 threads constantly up, even though there are dedicated MtG generals.

Those threads don't count user, they're not threads he likes.
He wants more ebin stories, like in the old screenshots of Sir Bearington or people calculating how many spiders would fit into the average uterus and stuff.

Are the people who complained about quest threads on Veeky Forums going to start arguing that 40k is too popular for Veeky Forums and needs a board of its own

To put it simply, generals are quests but worse. Worse because a quest thread did not run continuously. They disappeared for a while before the quest continued. But not generals. Shambling, rotting corpse of discussion they are.

Some of them maybe, but to be sure many are quest fans that are attacking other types of threads out of spite, in an attempt to create a slippery slope to hopefully get queste remerged. Or just drag down others with them. Either way, really. They go after CYOA threads too.

>If anything generals just need to be more heavily scrutinized by mods than non generals, and once discussion degrades too much they should be culled for a week or so.
And you're just the guy to decide whether or not they've degraded too much!

Generals are Veeky Forums related. Quest are not.

I never understood why would CYOA be accepted anywhere outside /b/.

>Some of them maybe, but to be sure many are quest fans that are attacking other types of threads out of spite, in an attempt to create a slippery slope to hopefully get queste remerged.

>to be sure
[citation needed]

Questfags don't want to get things banned from Veeky Forums.

Fuck, I miss the days when we didn't have single-board mods and none of this "NOT MUH TEEGEE" whining mattered.

I'm aware that repeated threads about [thing] are not new. But general threads take it to the furthest degree and for some disgusting reason have become accepted. Spamming threads about a topic was always shitty. Organized spam is just as shitty, for the same reasons.

The way threads work on boards like ours does not cater to eternal topics. Bump limits exist for a reason. It might sound mean, but things like that belong on places that aren't Veeky Forums.

Nah. That'd be the moderation staff and maybe janitors I guess. Sometimes its super obvious. If you've ever been in a general gone completely off the rails, you'd know it doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

>Bump limits exist for a reason.
Next we'll ask people not to talk about an RPG system that has already been talked about once in a thread.
We'll run out quickly, but hey, Veeky Forums will be pure as fuck then!

You're an idiot not looking at reality.

When a topic is being discussed by a community as large as this one, certain topics will always remain present and active. That is not something you can fix. It isn't even a necessity. It's a simple fact that cannot and will not change unless you have some sort of bizarrely controlling and ruthless moderation policy that is completely out of line with how Veeky Forums works as a whole.

Please stop being asinine user. It's not helthy.

Don't be obtuse. Have you even been in more than two or three of these meta threads? After you see the exact same arguments with the same wording and the same complaints and suggestions about a dozen fucking times in the same thread, it's hard not to connect the dots.

>golden_neckbeard_shirtless_selfie_087.jpg

Dammit user, I had managed to blank him from my memory until now. Now I have to deal with remembering him, Jim Profit, and the RMD in one big slurry of awful Veeky Forums.

You're being silly and hyperbolic.

This is not a huge community. This is a niche of faceless posters. There would be no ruthless or bizarre moderation. There would just not be generals. Threads for those games would still exist, but they would be free of that formulaic discussion-death. The existence of a general is an anomaly within the way Veeky Forums works, and Veeky Forums has never been an ebin rules-lite place no matter how the kids spin it.

It may be reductio ad absurdum, but it's worse that no one has anything to say against it beyond a vague feeling of wrongness toward the concept of general threads. Its a lazy argument tactic but if the shoe fits, as they say.

>shikamaru_pic_1087

You're an idiot. Applying the term 'General' changed literally nothing. Those threads always existed, in the exact same way. The only difference might be that smaller game can actually get a look in this way, and that even blind morons like you will notice their existence.

Generals are not new. The emergence of Generals changed nothing. And the idea that banning them would have any positive effect on the board is a flight of wilful lunacy.

There is no vague feeling of wrongness. Generals are very clearly a negative impact. The first ten threads of a general might have been great. But the months, the years, they wear on. And with how slowly are type of games receive fresh content, they wear even faster than the generals in Veeky Forums.

Generals are relatively new. There have always been multiple threads about a thing, sometimes for weeks. Generals are the abomination what happens when they don't stop.

What do you mean? Moderation?

You do know that if you ban generals, there'll just be ad-hoc generals forming out of nowhere without the name "generals" in the name, right. You'll never prevent someone in a thread about D&D from asking a D&D related question that has no link to the OP's beyond being about D&D too.

Generals themselves are cancer, but they do contain useful links and info and pastebins etc. Someone should gather them up and put them in a wiki. Cull the cancer, add the wiki to our sticky.

The only difference is the term used in the title. That's it. Acting like it makes some meaningful distinction is just stupid.

And that would be fucking perfect. The natural wilderness of a disconnected thread, the circlejerking broken, actual discussion can happen once again. Targeted, specific discussion over general faggotry. A big part of OC evaporating is that so many little things that could have been are lost in generals.

So you're saying that the board might hypothetically look something like this completely imaginary example?

Nothing would change. Absolutely nothing.

That's complete bunk and you know it. A thread dies, a general rots eternal. There is a very real meaningful distinction. If you want to be romantic about it: better to die a hero than see yourself become the villain. Good discussion simply cannot be had in thread #1,260. But thread started with a question, or an observation, or merely a comment, can spiral where it will and run its course without making the content stale.

And that's exactly what happens on /a/. People will just make a new thread without the title "general" and everyone will behave in it like any other general.
I'm posting in them right now, it's inevitable if a show is popular enough.

It would change and be better for it. Generals are a habit, a bad habit.

You're spouting idealistic nonsense. You might not like how things work here, but it's always been how things worked. Consistent threads on a single topic which never really died have always been a thing. You can't change that. Nobody can.

The fact that it isn't a general is enough. Some posters might have some fanciful rebellious idea, but a non-general thread is enough. It's the cure to cancer.

oh it's that thread again
and that unicorn oyster cult that thinks generals are satan again
for fuck's sake what the fuck is wrong with you

You're conflating two different things and acting the revisionist on top of being a stubborn goat. Let's agree to disagree.

OC evaporated because people grew the fuck up. Nobody ever finds Sir Bearington or spiders in vagina threads to be epic anymore or the Eduardo pasta to be awesome.

So you're saying we don't need to ban generals?

>calling a thing not the thing
>a solution
I don't even have such problems with these threads, it really depends on the anons in it. But your logic is retarded.

I'm just saying what I saw, man. When generals started popping up, absolutely nothing on the board really changed. They're an easy scapegoat, but that's about as much merit as there is to the idea.

no, it's hypocrisy

>Nobody ever finds Sir Bearington to be epic anymore or the Eduardo pasta to be awesome.

No one ever really did here. Those were pushed by redditors.

Nooo, that wouldn't happen. Look at /v/ and now /a/. Go ahead, take a long look.

A lack of OC production is due to a lack of interest in OC production and nothing more. If you want more OC then make it.

What about Quest General?

>ban generals
>but perpetual discussion about a game is somehow still fine
>now all that's changed is people can't easily filter threads they don't like and the OP doesn't have extremely useful links to MEGA folders, dropboxes, wikis, and other things
>which other anons would have to remember to post in every thread anyway, and if it happens too often questfag will still bitch about them becoming generals anyway

I can't see any rational reason why this samefag is against generals, especially since no proof that things would be better has ever been given. The only reason I could even fathom why someone would be against them is they're some shill for companies like Wizards who are salty that their pirated material is so easily accessible right in the first post.

>quests are reddit
>storytimes are reddit
>memes are reddit
>generals are reddit

Might as well ask Tojo moot to delete this whole board.

Calling shit like that reddit is a big reason we don't see that sort of meme humor anymore. And when people wax nostalgic for OC it is exactly that sort of immature random vaguely board related meta humor that they are referring to. Shit like broquest and cultist chan and excuse me commisar it all started the same way. Think about that next time you thumb your nose.

Wow that is some reaching

>please follow some extensive rules
do you even know where you are, and are you a card-carrying moron

Faggots who still have the sekret klub mentality are the approximate worst

He's mostly right though. I agree however that companies being mad at general thread enabled piracy is a stretch but I'm pretty sure that bit at the end was hyperbole to emphasize the point of how silly this whole discussion is.

I don't mind quests I simply don't think they should all be on Veeky Forums. Elf slave quest, sure that could be on Veeky Forums, Bleach quest #394, put that on /a/, medieval knight quest, but that on Veeky Forums, horse quest or other random bullshit, put that on /b/.

The reason questfags primarily bitch about /qst/ is because of a lack of fresh blood (although it seems like a lot of quests were just the same ten guys circle jerking every thread), and the reason many on Veeky Forums bitched about quests was because of bloat with 15+ threads sometimes being quest threads and said threads almost always being at the top. If we put quest threads in their appropriate boards it would more easily draw in people who are interested (I assume /a/ has more people interested in Bleach than Veeky Forums) and would prevent Veeky Forums from having the entire front or front two pages filled with quest threads with another questing general and a thread bitching about quests thrown in for good measure.

He's not mostly right at all. Those useful links won't stop existing. If someone asks for a thing, and you have thing and feel inclined to post it, go ahead. Only some kind of faggot would actually use filters.

>2020
>Veeky Forums still exists
>Has like 80 fucking boards
>Fully half of them are generals
>Veeky Forums, /ag/, /tgg/, /polg/, /lgbtg/, /cog/
I honestly don't mind the idea but the war between general threads and people who hate general threads cannot be good in the long run.

No, and /a/ shouldn't have done it either.

You're being a faggot but reddit is quite actually a more sensible place for something like a general. The style of board that Veeky Forums is just doesn't work with generals. And honestly, it shows.

/a/is known for being real anal retentive about dumb shit and trying to have its userbase police its "board culture" so this event is no shock. I've been there on and off since around the time Code Geass was airing and the stick up their ass has only worked its way deeper over time. I should go back there and generally try to be polite and helpful to people asking questions and see if they actually ban for that now rather than just bitching at me.

Not Veeky Forums related.

Clearly it works, we've had them for years without problems.

I think user is being willfully obtuse about what a general is and how it differs from a thread or multiple threads about a topic.

Burn the circlejerk, I say. Nothing good ever came out of a general.

>Watch as I combine my two favorite boogeymen into one super boogeyman!

Faggot

Ignorance or worse, acceptance, does not mean the problem isn't real. The fact that they have existed for years is frightening enough.

>The fact that it isn't a general is enough.
So you're trying to convince me that there's a gigantic hole in the wall of my house, and also claiming that hanging a painting over it will make the problem go away?

>I don't mind quests I simply don't think they should all be on Veeky Forums. Elf slave quest, sure that could be on Veeky Forums, Bleach quest #394, put that on /a/, medieval knight quest, but that on Veeky Forums, horse quest or other random bullshit, put that on /b/.

I like this

Relegating a bunch of quests to /a/ will piss off /a/ and other places. Sending them to /b/ is a death sentence and we'd be looking at this same thread with them complaining about being excluded when others are not. There is a reason moot shoved all of them into Veeky Forums and no, it wasn't because he and the other boards adored them so much. Letting them disseminate creates the same problem as before. And as much as generals foment circlejerking and namefag behavior, quests do even moreso. And like generals they tend to overstay their welcome when a few diehards can't let them go.

Two different ideas desu. More akin to filling in the hole and painting over the scar.

Pretty much this. We got unrelated quests because even shitholes like /a/ and /v/ recognize them as cancerous.

>And as much as generals foment circlejerking and namefag behavior, quests do even moreso

I'd argue the other way. Quests take breaks, generals do not. It's part of the reason they're cancer.

Says the fucking dipshit convinced the word general is a magic word that makes all threads bad. Dumb generalizing bitch.

>People will just make a new thread without the title "general" and everyone will behave in it like any other general.
>The fact that it isn't a general is enough.

Doesn't sound like anything's being filled in. The only problem being solved is that people who are triggered by the word "general" wouldn't see it anymore (but they would see a hell of a lot more general threads, because there wouldn't be a term to filter them out with).

Now now user, we're all friends here. The meta thread should be a kind of 'treaty zone' where we meet, discuss, and disagree with respect.

We're Veeky Forums, not /b/ or /pol/.