Chapter Creation thread #2: the Ghosts of Dorn

The thread is dead. Long live the thread!

>The Ghosts of Dorn are a 22nd Founding Chapter. They were created due to predictions that there would be problems in the area. They suffer from a mutation that causes their skin to be so pale it's almost transparent, their muscles and even some bones can be seen under their skin.

Origins: Strategic
Date: 37th Millenium
Progenitor: Imperial Fists
Purity: Altered Stock
Deficiency: Oolitic Secretions (Translucent skin)
Legendary Figure: Chapter Master
Deed: raided an Eldar Craftworld
Homeworld: Icy Medieval
Rule: Distant
Adherence: Unique
Doctrine: Thunderhawk Assault
Demeanor: No Mercy/No Heresy
Not Fielded: Assault marines
Unique equipment: Blessed Wargear
Beliefs: Revere the Primarch
Strength: Endangered
Allies: Sororitas
Enemies: Craft World

1d4chan.org/wiki/Ghosts_of_Dorn
Previous thread: Questions for this thread:
Who are some heroes of note among the Ghosts of Dorn?
For what specific purpose were they founded?
Have they had any other important victories since their founding?

Funny enough, the guy who painted the Terminators suggested we name them Ice Wraiths.

...who the what now?

I propose that Scouts have special helmets or masks, to hide their skin. Perhaps a skull visage, like Reivers?

They should also be given a special name, like Specters, or something similar.

I think the icon could use some work too. The one that was posted looks a bit cheap in my opinion.

I tried something. Tell me what you guys think.

Did their Chapter Master single-handedly shoot down a heldrake?

HAVE YOU SEEN THE GHOST OF DORN
ALL GOLD BONES WITH THE SKIN ALL TORN
OOOO
OOOOOOOO
WOULDN'T IT BE CHILLY WITH NO PAULDRONS

Better than the previous, for sure. Might be hard to paint and make out on a 1" scale model, though. Maybe the back of the hand should be showing instead?

>Human shapes rice dumplings filled with muscle and bone

Thia just sounds disgusting. More Nurgle than Imperium. Legit how could monsters like that not get killed off by the Inquisition?

They almost did, but they've been low-key enough to pass beneath notice. Plus they're plenty zealous and are allies with the Sisters of Battle, that's got to count for something.

A Ghost of Dorn that's fallen to Nurgle would be pretty damn cool though.
A Khorne one would probably look like the Colossal Titan.

A Slaanesh one would be pretty nasty. Translucent sexual and sensory organs abound.

I still like the darker color scheme. But yeah I'm super happy these guys are getting off the ground.

Relatedly, I was going to start another SM army. I'm planning on it being these guys. I'm thinking that the timeframe of my army would be just as they are rebuilding with Primaris stuff.

As for modeling, I'm planning on putting them on snowy bases, some with dead eldar on them. Maybe a dreadnaught base with a crashed jetbike as well.

You know what, I'm gonna make an entire scenic board as well. And an elder army. I hate myself.

Don't forget a necron army and some sisters of battle

If cannibalistic orgies are above the pale for most Inquisitors being ugly is probably tolerable so long as the Astartes don't take off their helmets in public

Here is my proposal for the color scheme of the Ghosts of Dorn. I think it would fit a bit better with darker colors, especially t ocontrast the show of their native planet, as well as to contrast the bright green and light brown of the craftworld. Just my 2 cents.

Geirod Verus in the alternative color scheme.

Who has cannabilistic orgies? I didn't realize any Astartes chapters had sex

>For what specific purpose were they founded

The Emperor's Tarot predicted that there would be a chaos insurrection in the area, led by a champion of Slaanesh. Near as can be told, this hasn't come to pass yet, though some in the Chapter believe that it could be Craftworld Ijain itself that is the "champion of Slaanesh."

>Other great heroes of the chapter

I rolled and got a Master of Sanctity that... Led an action against the eldar. Of course.

So was he part of the ill-fated Battle of Dysa, or some other campaign?

I would say another campaign

Makes sense, we had established that they had had run-ins with the Eldar previously.

Eldarfag here. Don't know much about Astartes lore, but I could possibly help fluff out these recurring Eldar enemies. What all do we have so far about them?

- First encountered M32 or earlier
- Jungle craftworld with healer faith.
- They favor close combat tactics, rangers, and Striking Scorpions
- Currently endangered after attack by the Ghosts
- Hero is a Warlock who died killing the original Chapter Master who led the doomed attack
- Necron allies
- The Ghosts of Dorn are their bitter enemies, for obvious reasons

>Necron Allies
>Necron Allies
>Necron Allies

U
FOOKIN
WOT

>-Jungle Craftworld with healer faith
Worshippers of Isha, who see her bounty in the natural order, thus keeping their Craftworld filled with greenery and fauna.

>-They favor close combat tactics, rangers, and Striking Scorpions
In their desire to be closer to nature, they embraced more "naturalistic" combat - studying the predators in their jungles, from the spiders ambushing insects to the large beasts preying on the grazers, the inhabitants of the craftworld saw the Striking Scorpion as a symbol of the connection they seek to maintain.

>-Currently endangered after attack by the Ghosts
The few remaining stalk the encampments of the jungle, now no longer simply coexisting as a civilization within it, they act as part of the ecosystem - both out of reverence, and out of a desire not to let their guard down ever again.

>-Hero is a Warlock who died after killing the original Chapter Master who led the doomed attack
Hunting alongside those still upon the Path of the Warrior, Mur Sylzar was a beloved Warlock, who would charge into battle against prey and enemy with equal parts bestial fervor and calculated precision. Seeing the Mon'keigh leader wrecking havoc upon his home, he charged the man head-on, taking sustained fire while getting close enough to drive his spear through both of his hearts. His name is honored in the craftworld, and his spiritstone is a holy relic placed in their shrine to Isha.

>-Necron allies
Healing is not merely physical. The craftworld weakened, isolated, and under constant threat of another such attack, they obviously would seek out allies. Eventually, they came in contact with a Tomb World, and found common ground in a shared hatred of both Mon'keigh and the Warp. While such an alliance is obviously shaky and tenuous, the two will send assault forces to support one another when needed, and no backstabbing has occureed so far.

We mean "Allies" in the loosest possible sense of the word.

These are Eldar after all.

I mean, the table literally says "who is the craftworld currently manipulating into helping them"

The necrons might not even know it's Eldar they're helping. They might just be using them as a buffer, or manipulating events so that they're inclined to attack whoever needs killing.

Overlords also have a flair for the dramatic and honor, and a smart Farseer or Autarch might be able to take advantage of that - manipulation can appear straightforward, after all. Craftworlds are more likely to need assistance than active Tomb Worlds, so the deal, while fair on the surface, is rather lopsided.

Why don't they field assault marines? I can see why they'd have no jump packs if a lot of their fighting doctrine came from fighting in the tunnels of their homeworld, but no melee troops at all seems a tad over the top. Do they take a doctrine more similar to the sisters of battle, influenced by their close relations perhaps? So instead of melee troops they instead use a lot of close range special weaponry like flamers, meltas, storm bolters? But then lots of flame and heat based weaponry seems to go against their ice theme.

I like this more.

They use other hardier troops, primarily Terminators, to fill the close combat role. Being sons of Dorn, they also make good use of Assault Centurions.

Perhaps despite the lack of Assault Marines all of their Tacticals are better trained with their melee weapons? We do bless every weapon we field after all.