DEADLANDS thread

Howdy there partner. This here thread's about one'a them whatchyamacallit deadlands Rpg. I'm yer marshall and I'll be dropping deadlands theme art as well as other shit. Anyways I like having the thread up, new weekend thread I guess?

Other urls found in this thread:

app.roll20.net/join/2489025/90MmWA
youtube.com/watch?v=jS_Shu8y0sI
youtube.com/watch?v=ONOe7t7Qm8Y
youtu.be/UrDV6VksSRU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Friend of mine has played as a blessed, has anybody played as a voodoo priest/priestess? How was it?

I definitely prefer the base Blessed. Not that Voodoo was outright bad or anything.

Interesting, any particular reason why? They share many of the same spells.

More of a fan of brimstone and hellfire than who do voodoo I guess.

Sell me on Deadlands, anons.

There's a guy thats going to be running a roll20 game of Reloaded (aka: Savage Worlds version) if you wanna try it.

Other than that, it's the wild west with some cthulhu shit going on, and most of the weird shit is taken from popular fiction you know and, unlike most games, tends to function pretty close to that fiction. It's pulpy all around.

It's wild west, but with supernatural and steampunk elements. It puts a lot of power in the players hands especially if you're harrowed. (So much of a badass you come back from the dead) The system gives you a lot of freedom too, I feel.

Ah, there's my cue. Thanks for quick ad user.

I am setting up to run Deadlands (Looking like Monday or Wednesday nights burgertime)

The system's great for pulp action.

Setting is anachronistic wild west, with mad science, kung fu masters, and gamble wizards all vying for fortune and glory. Supports anything from Hellblazer-style supernatural mysteries, to hijinx laden wacky steam wagon races across the salt flats of Utah.

I definitely recommend giving one of the core books a read if Westerns, Alternate History, or Pulp Horror are your jams.

Right, here's the link to the roll20 game if anyone's interested.

Already have 3 signed up, I could run 3 more, but if more sign up, we could work out a rotation.

app.roll20.net/join/2489025/90MmWA

Houngan player here, heck, if we get enough people I wouldn't mind running another Reloaded game, or Noir.

Stop posting the same pics every thread guys holy shit. Do better, okay? Fucking do better.

What day?
Voice / Text?
We need more info for this sorta thing, man.

I'm not the GM or even playing in that game but I opened the roll20 link he posted, they are discussing times in a campaign thread there. Ya dingbat.

Post more, man. Most of us don't have a very large offering of Western stuff.

I'm dumpin as fast as I can matey. I posted a google drive link to my deadlands resources in the last thread if you wanna look for that. I don't know why you guys wouldn't have a large offering, there are literally actual photographs, thousands of them.

>there are literally actual photographs, thousands of them.

Honestly, I dislike using actual photo's for characters. Consider it a remnant of online chat play, where everyone keeps using fucking supermodels or Dr. Who as their pictures. Not a strike against you, more of a personal issue for myself because a lot of chat based games have been incredibly shit to the point it's ruined a lot of things for me in other games.

I've only ever played online pretty much, mostly as a GM. If anyone recognizes the picture, it isn't allowed. I've had dumb players try that shit with me too. Or the guy who shows up with an elf rogue for D&D and his picture is in the top 5 image results for elf fucking rogue. That said I'd rather any of the above than the worst in char pic I've ever seen, pic related. He had it "commissioned" by a brony on deviantart I think.

I use token tool to make entire gangs for Roll20.

fuck forgot pic

>who do voodoo
Do what?

youtube.com/watch?v=jS_Shu8y0sI

Who do you voodoo bitch?

>Lottie

Oh, theres a whole lotty her alright.

This isn't necessarily for deadlands, but does anyone know about the major and distinctive differences between indian tribes popular in westerns? I've been combing for some myself but it's hard to know the fine differences. I want to make a few factions based on indian tribes but I'm not sure what aspects to focus on. I see things like ones that are agriculture centric, hunters/gatherers, nomads who follows buffalo trails, etc. That's the kind of easy to pick out differences I'm interested in. Is there anywhere i can read about this kind of thing in an easy to grasp format?

Also, the other thing is I'm not sure what tribes were the ones westerns tended to focus on, either in media or historically. I know stuff like Navajo but I'm not exactly sure what ones we most associate with the wild west.

youtube.com/watch?v=ONOe7t7Qm8Y

Apaches, Comanches - The evil sons of bitches who scalp settlers.

Sioux - Buffalo-hunting mystical honest injuns. Good guys who get screwed over and over.
Dances With Wolves type shit.

Cree - Like the Sioux, but in Canada, so were genocided more politely and apologetically.

These are of course only Hollywood Indians. Real life tribes were incredibly diverse, local, and as complicated as any other group of people trying to find a place for themselves while holding on to their culture in an increasingly hostile world.

I know there's many many different tribes which has made it difficult to try and pin down the most important and and major differences, since I don't want hundreds or whatever different tribes, so I want to focus on the main things that differentiated them. I do want to focus on the "Hollywood Indians" since they're the ones most people will be able to recognize, so I want all the names that people know like Sioux, Apaches, etc. But I do want to make sure I'm not pinning, say, Apaches as the mystic types, or the apaches as the evil warriors. I want to make sure that if I'm boiling down and trivializing the tribes to their main features that I'm at least getting the right stereotypes.

This is a good start and is very much what I was looking for. Is there anywhere I could read up on this kind of thing in an easy to grasp way? I tried looking this stuff up myself but there's so many different tribes and so much information it's hard to differentiate the information I'm interested in.

Don't worry about it. It never bothered Hollywood to make shit up on the spot, it shouldn't bother you. Have an old fart on hand to peer at an incoming warband and yell "hold yer fire! Them's [random Indian tribe-sounding noun, like Crow or Blackfoot] markins, they's the good injuns round these parts"

It's mostly an issue of making sure I get the languages right. The tribes wouldn't actually be the real ones, but I want to make sure I get the languages tied to the correct "archetype" right and also just that I have the right "types" in general. Another useful thing would just be knowing how the tribes were differentiated. I found a general list (nomadic buffalo followers, agri based, hunters/gatherers, etc.) but I think I'd like a few more differences to focus on.

If this is for a game, relax your autism a bit, no one is going to care.

If this is for a novel or something, do a little more reading and a lot less asking Veeky Forums.

But as to your question, face paint and feather arrangement. Specifics either don't matter or are too important - see above.

It is for a game, just not deadlands. I'm just interested in making the world cool but since a core concept is gonna be cowboys versus indians (and old v new, tradition v progress, etc.) i want to be careful about how I do indians since just having indians without much thought can seem racist or insensitive or whatever and, more importantly to me, shallow.

>just having indians without much thought can seem racist or insensitive or whatever

Old movies didn't give a shit, and neither should you, because unless one of your players is part of a tribe or some kind of retard screaming about how you're oppressing every culture by not representing shit 100% factually or something, thats probably the only kind of indians they know of.

There's a Deadlands book about the Indian tribes if that helps any. Has some bits that talk about their languages and spirit animals and whatnot.

Oh I made sure that my emphasis wasn't necessarily on appearing insensitive, but I think it's interesting that indian tribes lived different lifestyles and capturing the essence of the important types of lifestyles (since the minutia is irrelevant as said) is important I think. It's funny because I actually have one tribe set conceptually already, but they aren't based on an actual indian tribe, they're basically just bad medicine men/skinwalkers exiled from each tribe and coalesced into their own.

This sounds like it'd be useful, I'll look for it.

So, how valuable do you think a young child with the uncanny ability to know where every train in the Americas is, as well as exactly what is on it (in terms of tonnage and value only)?
The rail wars is already won, so that limits the usefulness of it some, but I'd imagine most factions would still get some use of of them.

Incredibly valuable to the point everyone would want him dead or to exploit the hell outta him.

Valuable enough for rail barons, or possibly just a bunch of bandits with maybe a huckster as their leader. Stories have been brewing about their uncanny ability to avoid patrols and slip in with minimal bloodshed. Huge bounty set up by a shadowy organization. (Maybe what's left of all the rail barons uniting in secret against a common enemy) You play the kid like the forecaster in fallout new vegas.

Anybody have any appropriate music suggestions? Obviously Ennio Morricone, you guys got me watching Deadman so I'm definitely using that soundtrack, I have the ravenous soundtrack as well. Any recommendations?

youtu.be/UrDV6VksSRU