On a wooden pedestal on the entrance to the dungeon is an amulet. Underneath hangs a painted sign reading "Do not touch...

>On a wooden pedestal on the entrance to the dungeon is an amulet. Underneath hangs a painted sign reading "Do not touch."
>"I put on the amulet."
>Based on how it violently wraps around you neck and begins strangling you you identify it as a cursed amulet of strangulation.
>You have died.

Okay? What's your point?

I'd probably let them roll a reflex save or something, to react to the amulet moving. It's still probably kill them though.

Not OP, but it could be a good way to curb the chaotic idiot tendencies of specific group members in a humorous way.

I recall we had a player who would immediately touch anything he thought was cursed or trapped because he thought it would be funny and the person who was previously DMing was too much of a pussy to kill him for it. The new DM was having none of that shit. His character ate a fruit from a purple tree in the middle of a negative energy filled dungeon and immediately dissolved into ash. He spent the next hour huffing about it before making a new character.

But my monk is a klepto.
Me just might've left that shit alone had there not been a sign beneath it.

>But my monk has low wisdom
Then they deserve to die

'Literally too dumb to live'

Obvious traps are best traps, because you don't feel bad about putting hilariously high saves on when they are triggered because the party couldn't help it.

>not stealing the pedestal and sign as well, so as to have the complete set...

>Why did I laugh so fucking hard at this?
Thanks user, I really needed a good laugh

>"I swap the sign with one that says 'FREE AMULET'"

Best response.

Doesn't mean you have to put it on though

>sign was cursed

>somebody cursed an item and then carefully put it on a pedestal with a sign
Was the average ancient lost civilization populated by very creative pranksters? Is that why they all fall?

It could be an item of religious significance, enchanted to protect itself against all those deemed unworthy. Perhaps the mere fact that it bears such a powerful enchantment lent it special significance, while its power must naturally also be respected. It could even be a false idol, enchanted to kill anyone who dons it, with the story of anyone being worthy being a fable told to control the populace. Perhaps anyone who wishes the challenge the corrupt priesthood were told they could openly do so, if they could wear the medallion? In such a society I could easily imagine that that amulet would be quite prominently displayed and easily accessible, and at the same times surrounded by warnings and admonitions. Although they would probably be a bit more impressive than a painted sign saying "do not touch".

I don't think you get how amulets of strangulation work. You put it on, and it kills you in seconds. No amount of reflexes will stop it. Besides, it's a pain in the ass to remove cursed items.

Or.. they could have just gone around giving to grills that didn't wanna sleep with whoever had the AMULET OF STRANGULATION

>It could even be a false idol, enchanted to kill anyone who dons it, with the story of anyone being worthy being a fable told to control the populace.
>"Sir, there's just too many people in the city, there's no way we're gona be able to feed them on the next years"
>"That's quite troublesome indeed. But fear not, my good friend, for I had already foreseen this event and thus took preemptive actions on it"
>"Your inteligence is really on a different level compared to mere servants, my lord"
>"Why, truly, it is! But stop with your silver tongue, take a look at THIS!"
>"An... amulet, sir?"
>"Sharp as always, Gent, but this is no ordinary pendant, for it holds power far greater than that of any magician in the whole kingdom.Whence it's magic power is activated, anybody who touches it will die."
>"And then, my lord?"
>"What do you mean by 'and then'. That's it."
>"I'm sorry, sir, I'm not sure I follow"
>"Alas, it's true that my mind is far out of your reach. Very well, I shall reveal to you my master plan:
>A few of my best men will take this amulet and put it on a pedestal with a sign. In the sign, a clear message 'do not touch'.
>But of course, the chaotic nature of humanity will drive them into doing exactly the opposite of what the sign says! Haha! And that's when they'll day! Tenths of them, maybe up to a hundred people will fall to their deaths! Truly a plan only a mastermind could come up with! What do you say now, Gent? Do you get the magnificence of my idea?"
>"Uh, sir?"
>"Yes, dear friend?"
>"There's, like, two hundred thousand people kiving inside the city walls"
>"Well, it may take a while, but alas, it'll work, don't you ever doubt it. Now, let's get down to bussiness"

Joke's on you, I'm a dullahan.

Also a possibility but I was working from the assumption that the ancient lost civilisation might not be completely retarded

So?

Your hat and sunglasses cannot disguise you.

Is .... is that Steven Baldwin?