The party finds a magical compass. Where does it always point to, Veeky Forums?

the party finds a magical compass. Where does it always point to, Veeky Forums?

my magical realm

next plot hook or mcguffin

The sky
The center of the earth

Towards what the key that was used to activate it unlocks.

>>/pol/

that was fast, but I guess the fruit was hanging low enough.

The other compass.

The nearest cat.

North. The magic is that it doesn't use magnetic fields. It just knows which way is north.

You.

I like you.

Current mission objective. Which may or may not be related to what the party is "supposed" to be doing.

This is good from the GM usefulness side of things, but not much from the pcs side; is like a device that reminds them constantly not to get off the rails.

random hard as fuck enemy

Sometimes you need the rails because players can't find the way out of wet paper bag on their own.

Like said, sometimes you need to keep them on track. This is a bit better than "nope, invisible walls block your path". Plus when I said "supposedly" what I was getting it was using it to mess with the players minds. Get told to kill Evil Thing X and save the Princess? Huh, for some strange reason the compass is pointing at the Princess and not the Evil Thing X.

>"Didn't the king say this compass points to the Blessed Font of Purification?"
>"Yeah, in the Ziggurat of the Old Empire."
>"So why is it... moving?"

Your mom, she has enough mass to attract all the ferrous metals on the planet.

>The other compass
This could be a fun hook.
>players find magic compass
>notice that its needle doesn't work like other compasses and occasionally doesn't even point the same direction
>start off on a quest into the unknown
>months later, after battling their way past countless terrors, they suddenly come around a corner and bump into another weary group of adventurers holding an identical compass

Magnetic north.
The compass' magic is completely unrelated to it being a compass. The same enchantment could just as easily be placed on any other roughly palm sized round hunk of metal.

The closest hole in the earth that leads to its hollow core.
Frozen ship of trapped souls.
Liars.

my crotch

Pizza

Neverending cloud giant kegger

The closest faggot.

What you did there, I think I see it.

>When you have both compasses in each hand, they both lead to a different chair in a tavern, if you sit on it, you teleport on the other chair the other compass pointed at.
>It's much less impressive now you put both chairs next to each other with the rest of your treasure.

What's the enchantment?

The Gate

>not using the chairs as teleporters while dungeon diving
do you even adventurer

does it point to the twin stars of Dubulous on the horizon?

That's literally just a fucking piece of string with a weight on the end you fucking moron.

I'm gonna straight up steal this idea. Fucking A, this is perfect

>"Who holds Wayfinder finds good roads
>Its master's step is brisk.
>The Sword of Wisdom lightens loads
>But adds unto their risk."

>Snapping the compasses together forms a larger compass that points in a random direction
>It happens again
>All part of a plot to create an army of seasoned adventurers
>Final compass takes the massive group to an ancient underground temple, where a prophecised dark lord is breaking free of his bindings
>Emerges from his coffin only to be ganked by 50 adventurers who have spent the last three years trekking across the entire world and dealing with this bullshit

When wizards set up contingencies

The shop of the artificer who made it.

>Turns out you get a discount at the shop if you find one of the compasses.
>A cunning marketing strategy

>Wizard cursed two compasses to have sentience and fall in love with each other
>The party reunites them, lifting the curse
>Now they have two perfectly normal compasses and nothing else
I love this

>All part of a plot to create an army of seasoned adventurers

You have too much faith in adventurers. Each group will fight the other to the death when two compass holders meet. Good way to get the toughest adventurer band in the world, but not an army.

It still keeps other choices open to them, so I'd say it's pretty good all around. Plus is great.

Ringworld?

The closest place where the holder can find their favorite food.
If you concentrate hard enough, and with a vibrant enough memory of it, you can get it to point where you've had it at one point or another.

It has three pointers. Magnetic north, true north and waypoint. Set it on a well drawn map and touch the waypoint with a magic item to set the waypoint. You would use a blank sheet of paper an x and identifying words to point at anything.

Fine pussy.

The thing that will kill you.

It technically still works, just as long as there is a significant force on hand to gank the dark lord before he can even get up.

The bottom of the abyss.

>Compass of the Hearth
An elaborate compass covered in brass iconography of flames that feels warm, but pleasant to the touch. When held, it points towards the safest and fastest route to the individual's home and/or family, depending on which is closer.

>Survivalist's Compass
Covered in brass castings of tree roots, this compass has three settings, adjusted by turning a dial located at its center. The first setting makes the compass point towards the nearest source of water, while the next points towards reliable shelter, the last setting makes the compass point towards civilization.

Compass that literally leads the holder to its death. Maybe not at the right time but like.... that thing will cause your death eventually.
>Watching compass, steadily closing in on point
>walk off cliff while staring at compass

Your character pick ups first one. It doesnt show anything.

Boffa

>Not having the compass lead a player character to their long lost home/relatives.

Dicks.

Its more likely your character has home and family. Compass just dont point to them for some reason...

My companion with +1 to Hide at nighttime..

In the campaign we've only played one game of thst is doomed die, one of the pcs found a sword that always points to the nearest safe port, which is some fucking city in the dreamlands.

God damn it I just want to finish sense of the sleight of hand man, guys.

Isn't that Abyss?