media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread: >→

What classes have the best multiclassing synergy? What is your favorite multiclass build?

Fighter + any class that depends on actions.

I'm thinking of a plot involving the "reunion" of a legendary party of adventurers called the Eternal Company. This are some of them:

-Human male, Paladin (Oathbreaker, LG), now a Death Knight. This guy chose his words really poorly when making his bow to a deity and thus made his oath impossible to fulfill. He is doomed to remain unredeemed for all eternity because of this. His personality shifts from stoic to depress at times, but he remains noble and kind-hearted even now.
- Human male, Wizard (Diviner, CN). The former Wizard-King of an ancient magocracy. He was a talented and ambitious researcher of the arcane. So much so that he created an insanely powerful artifact through his forbidden knowledge of the Far Realm. Because of this, his subjects, fearing magical devastation, rebelled against him. Arrogant and prideful, he initially regarded this as treason. After countless wars were waged over the artifact he realized of the gravity of his mistake and exiled himself, becoming an adventurer. He eventually took drastic measures to prevent the artifact from ever falling into the wrong hands and Imprisioned himself into a timeless demiplane, to serve as It's warden for all eternity. While nothing can leave or enter his prison-demiplane, the artifact allow his magic to bend the rules of space and time, manifesting into other planes of existence and even to slightly shape the timeline. He is an intelligent and knowledgeable individual, but the prolonged isolation and the influence of the Far Realm has rendered him increasingly insane. He longs for companionship, new knowledge and the anything that connects him of his former life in a desperate, obsessive way.

Favorite one I did was

Assassin Rogue 3/Fighter 1/Diviner Wizard 2/ Rogue x + Lucky

CONT:

- Half-Elf female Rogue (Mastermind, NE). The unrecognized bastard daughter of a tyrannical elven king. As spoiled, petty, cruel, and rotten as her father. Through manipulation, intrige or outright assassination, she paved her way into the line of succession. Merely days before she was to be crowned her crimes finally caught up to her and had to flee the kingdom. Becoming ever more bitter and murderous, she survived as a thief, assassin, adventurer and everything in between. As she grew older and her legendary beauty fade, she made a pact with a demonic entity for eternal life and youth, eventually twisting her form into that of a Medusa. She remains a plotter, ever-determined to reclaim her “birth-right” one back-stab at a time. She travels under the guise of a noble elven widow covering her fearsome visage with a black veil.

I'm also thinking of adding ghost, a legendary halfling bard that “survived” through his famous poems and a dwarf warrior whom fathered 1000 childs. Thoughts?

Revised Ranger and Monk surprisingly have some good overlap, since they're both dex/wis classes, and hunter's mark/favored enemy syngergizes well with flurry of blows.

I like druid x/sorcerer 1

for what purpose?

Feather fall and shield, also if you go dragon you get that sweet sweet unarmored AC

Thank you for posting the map, I couldn't find it for ages and have been using pic related instead

1. It's "who," not "whom"
2. Why should your players give a shit about these legendary heroes? What purpose do they serve in the story? Will they steal the limelight? Will the player characters have anything to do while they're around?

>Assassin Rogue 3/Fighter 1/Diviner Wizard 2/ Rogue x + Lucky

Halfling?

halfling would be best, but I was playing in a game without them

whom'st'd'l've

No ASI until level 7 seems a bit slow. Why the fighter level? Archery fighting style?

I like the combination flavorwise too, but DMs are within their rights to not allow multiclassing with the revised ranger until it's officially published outside of UA.

1. Ok.
2. Most of them are either impaired in one way or another, or are the BBEG.

Hunter's mark doesn't synergize with flurry all that well because they're both bonus actions. In a battle with more than one or two enemies, you need your bonus action to shift hunter's mark to new targets, which is why hunters are best as archers.

1. No h8
2. Sounds interesting and potentially dope. Good luck!

>In a battle with more than one or two enemies, you need your bonus action to shift hunter's mark to new targets,
You're not going to be using flurry of blows every turn of combat, especially if said battle has more than one or two enemies. There's more than enough time to transfer the mark for up to 4d6 extra damage on the subsequent turn.

archery fighting style, and my DM and party all unanimously agreed that ASI based on class level is retarded. Fighters and rogues get bonus ones where they would, otherwise everyone gets them at Character Level 4, 8, 12, 16 and 19

>ac
>feather fall
that seems like a large waste of a potential druid level.

I'd get angry at your abuse of the rules to allow for multiclass optimization but I run the table the same way.

If you're going for pure dice cheese Satire Bard is up there too in a sort of suicidal way.

Well i'm enjoying it

Reminder that Sorcerers are the worst fullcasters and never worth playing beyond Sorlock/Palasorc broken multiclasses.
You can fix sorc by
>Having them use spell points instead of spell slots, they now have significantly more spells to cast and it doesn't sync with multiclassing
>Giving them a thematic to their archtype list of free spells ala Cleric/Paladin domain lists
>Buffing all the metamagics that aren't Quicken/Twinned/Subtle because they're shit compared to the previously mentioned ones
Sorcerer now inhabits its intended niche of "Guy who can cast a lot of spells in multiple ways" without being just a worse Wizard. Sorlock is still broken with these changes but that's an issue that lies inherently in Warlock's dip potential rather than Sorc's that can be solved by telling the piece of shit trying to play that combo that they're not allowed to take Eldritch Blast.

What I find funny is that my party thinks my sorcerer is way overpowered. Because I am able to twin blight/haste, or quicken a fireball and firebolt after.

>Lvl 1 Wiz can prep 4 spells, has 2 unprepped that can still be ritual casted
>Lvl 1 Sorc has 2 spells and no ritual casting

>lvl 6 wiz has 10 spells prepped, and another 6 spells unprepped that can still be ritual casted
>level 6 sorc has 7 spells and no ritual casting

>level 12 wiz has 17 spells prepped and another 11 spells unprepped that can still be ritual casted
>level 12 sorc has 12 spells and no ritual casting

>lvl 20 wiz has 25 spells prepped and 19 unprepped that can still be ritual casted
>lvl 20 sorc has 15 spells

Why even live as a sorc

sorcs also could use some spells that have a more direct link to metamagics (enemy suffers additional effects if they have disadvantage to the save, 20ft range spell with 30ft pull, etc)

>
>>Lvl 1 Wiz can prep 4 spells, has 2 unprepped that can still be ritual casted
>>Lvl 1 Sorc has 2 spells and no ritual casting
>>lvl 6 wiz has 10 spells prepped, and another 6 spells unprepped that can still be ritual casted
>>level 6 sorc has 7 spells and no ritual casting
>>level 12 wiz has 17 spells prepped and another 11 spells unprepped that can still be ritual casted
>>level 12 sorc has 12 spells and no ritual casting
>>lvl 20 wiz has 25 spells prepped and 19 unprepped that can still be ritual casted
>>lvl 20 sorc has 15 spells
>Why even live as a sorc
Meta magic is incredibly powerful

Don't forget that wizards are able to regain a few spells once a day, so they are able to cast more throughout and the ability to copy scrolls etc into their spell books. I've explained this to them but it's always "How can you talk about being underpowered look at all the damage you do per turn." Yeah because I have to powergame my build, and use all my sorc points twinning and quickening things, never able to do my subclass abilities.

Bard 1/warlock 2/ bard x (lore) is this a bad idea?

what do you get from warlock 2 though? no boon, no patron.

how big is faerun compared to europe

Invocations to turn Eldritch Blast into the single greatest damage source in the game.

I figure some of the invocations could but useful, as well as EB and short rest spell slots regain

Evocations, level 1 Patron features like the free raven, 2 extra spell slots, and cantrips like Charisma based Eldritch Blast

>Quickened is a tiny increase in damage because you can now cast a whole juicy cantrip with your Action, but hey at least you can Dodge/Disengage instead now
>Twinned is useless for everything except Haste/Poly/Blight
>Subtle is useless for everything except Detect Thoughts/Counterspell/Suggestion
>Empowered, Distant, Careful, Heightened, and Extended are never taken because they aren't anywhere near as good as the other 3.

Wow these metamagic options sure are absurdly powerful I love being able to be a worse wizard at everything except spamming Twinned Polymorph, I really feel like losing out on 35 spells at level 20 was really worth it since I also get another cantrip!

Welp, it's been 6 hours and 31 minutes so I'll ask again.

I'm gonna be making a Kensei monk, should I go for a longsword fluffed as an arm-mounted claw, or VHuman with a warhammer and Fell-Handed?

Why not just do what all kensei monks do and get the longsword and refluff it as a katana.

>not refluffing a longsword as a katana refluffed as an arm-mounted claw

Why bother wasting your free proficiencies on a d10 2handed weapon? You can take a Maul or Greatsword instead. You don't need a free hand to do unarmed strikes.

It sounds like he wants to do something different than what everyone does

The real question is are you still a weeb if you do that.

Pretty sure most recent version of kensei doesnt have greatsword or maul anymore.

I've been designing a War mechanic for conquering land, and I was hoping for Veeky Forums's feedback.

Mechanics
===
Map Awareness/Movement
---
- Warband movement is known at all times, but the number of Warbands in a group can only be identified from adjacent hexes, or from two away by Scouts.
- Each faction has a turn to move all of their Warbands. Each Warband can move one hex unless otherwise stated.
- Single non-Siege Warbands count as Scouts and can travel two hexes at a time.
- Multiple Warbands can be moved together as an group.

Unit Acquisition
---
- Non-Siege Warbands can use their turn to gather supplies while in their home settlement and become Siege Warbands.
- Mercenaries can be hired for 1000gp per Warband. They start in the faction's home settlement.
- Sanctum Mercenaries can be hired for 5000gp per Warband. They start in the Sanctum hex.
- Caches will appear in a random hex at certain times. Occupying the hex gives the occupying faction an additional Warband of their native type.

Open Combat
---
- When a Warband enters the same hex as a hostile Warband, a skirmish takes place.
- Each side takes 1 damage for each hostile, non-Siege Warband unless otherwise stated. The damage dealer decides how damage is allocated among non-Siege and Siege Warbands unless otherwise stated.
- If a Warband in a hex has a friendly Warband in an adjacent hex, the adjacent Warband can join the battle.
- If Siege Warbands are destroyed, their Siege Weapons can be taken by a Warband so the band becomes a Siege Warband, or destroyed.
- An occupying Warband can choose to flee instead of fight. They must move to an adjacent square of the attacker's choosing and take half damage.
- Individual non-Siege Warbands deal no damage unless joined by a friendly Warband.

[1/?]

Siege Combat
---
- When a Warband or group of Warbands attacks a settlement or city, damage is dealt in the following order:
- Attacking Siege Warbands and Occupying Warbands: Each deal their damage first. If this damage eliminates the occupiers, the attackers take the city. If the occupiers deal enough damage to eliminate the attackers, their non-Siege Warbands do not deal damage.
- Attacking Non-Siege Warbands: If attacking Non-Siege Warbands remain after the first damage round, they then deal their damage to the occupying Warbands. If this is enough to eliminate them, the attackers take the city.

Spoils of War
---
- Each Warband defeated earns the winners 500gp.
- Every settlement captured earns the attackers 10,000gp.

[2/3]

Stats
===
Each race has specific mechanics. Each Warband has 1 health and is formed of 10 units.

Humans
---
Starting Warbands: 20 non-Siege
Offensive: Ranged Weapons - Human Warbands can attack hostile Warbands from adjacent hexes without receiving damage.
Special: Engineers - A Human Warband can use its turn to create a siege weapon from nearby resources, and become a Siege Warband.

Orcs
---
Starting Warbands: 5, of which up to three can be Siege Warbands.
Offensive: Aggressive Action - Orcish Non-Siege Warbands deal double damage when fighting in open terrain, and individual Warbands still deal damage.
Special: Bloodrush - If an Orcish Warband is attacked, friendly Orcish Warbands can move from up to two hexes away to join the battle.

Elves
---
Starting Warbands: 15 non-Siege
Offensive: Magic Users - Elvish Non-Siege Warbands deal their damage before hostile Warbands.
Special: Elusive - Elves take no damage on fleeing a battle.

Mercenaries
---
Mercenary Warbands have no special abilities.

Sanctum Mercenaries
---
Offensive: Inside Man - Sanctum Mercenary Warbands function as Siege Warbands when attacking cities.
Special: Gold Rush - Sanctum Mercenary Warbands can use one of the features of the faction they work for if paid an additional 1000gp every time it's used.

[3/3]

Thoughts? Someone in another forum suggested having higher health on each Warband instead of instant death, and then being able to merge them to heal, but then that runs into difficulties in terms of damage from large bands vs. multiple small bands.

EB is certainly the cheapest viable damage dealer but it ain't amazing. Bard spell progression is pretty tight though, taking the warlock levels is going to set you back somewhere.

I forgot some of the extra patron level1's though will have to look it up now.

>EB is certainly the cheapest viable damage dealer but it ain't amazing.
Okay now combine it with Hex and Agonizing Blast.

I was including AB, not sure about with Hex. Bards have plenty of better options for concentration than making themselves do slightly more damage.

Why is Pala/Sorc considered good? Never really thought about that combo.

Wouldn't Pala/Warlock be better?

What do you do about intelligence imbalances in groups? As a DM i have 2 players that are very smart and 3 that are actually pretty dumb.

Sometimes it works but sometimes its just the 2 smart players arguing and the other 3 are lost because having a grasp on their characters mechanics is all they are capable of. Is that just their destiny? No one is complaining so I'm not worried, just interested in what people have to say.

FACT: Every adventurer should have signature headwear.

Why do you think so? Would stylish haircut count?

Unfortunately while I would LOVE to use a maul, the revised Kensei disallows Heavy weapons.
My character will probably be more Chinese than Japanese for one, and if I wanted a katana I'd build a Samurai.

Plus, for that matter, I recently did play a Samurai with a greatsword at that.
Maybe a little. I'm just wondering what sounds cooler.

Stylish haircuts can work as well.

>A Fighter deals 8d6+20 damage
>2 levels in Warlock gives you 4d10+4d6+20 for a level 1 spell slot

This doesn't look like an absurd increase in DPR for litte to no investment and resources to you?

The level 1 spell slot gives that 4d6 and costs you concentration. Probably not worth it. The 4d10+20 assuming all hit is PRETTY good at maxest level. At any lower level it's potentially delaying you a spell level in bard progression for mostly good attacks.

Use more intelligence rolls for the dumb players to give them more information on what to do, we play roleplaying games to do things we can't do in real life. Like being smart.

If you're going chinese I heavily recommend V Human with a spear and the Spear mastery feat. Refluff it as a Pudao, and you have a d10 weapon with all your bonus actions and reactions covered reliably.

Is there a mathematical difference between rolling 2d6 or 1d12? How about 2d4 or 1d8?

2d6 can be between 2 and 12, 1d12 is between 1 and 12. 2d4 is between 2 and 8, 1d8 is between 1 and 8. Simple, right? Not the same as a 1d8+1 which is between 2 and 9.

2d6 is average of 3.5 + 3.5 = 7, 1d12 is an average of 6.5. 2d4 is 2.5 + 2.5 = 5, 1d8 is 4.5

Oh, duh. Thanks.

>Doesn't assume all the EBs hit but doesn't do the same for the Fighter's attacks
Whatever the case it's still extremely reliable on-par with Fighter damage (Fighter is supposed to be best class at extremely reliable damage). Not even mentioning whether they take Repelling blast for the infinite kite this is very little investment for a lot of gain.
Multiclassing it from another charisma caster keeps you SAD, provides far more slots to cast your Hex than you'd normally have, and gives the caster the ability to regain two slots on short rest. The weakest point of this is before you get to the 5th level of your main class for your 3rd level spells, but once you hit that spike it's smooth sailing.

Wouldn't that be more of a halberd or glaive? And shit, isn't the Monk already bonus action heavy as it is?
Honestly I had this idea after playing DQIII and deciding I liked the Fighter/Martial Artist class

I'm currently building a Swashbuckler/Battlemaster with Booming Blade. It should work well enough. I'll probably grab two more rogue levels for evasion and I doubt I'll go much further.

Would you mind giving us some examples? The degree of actual contrast is quite important here, as well as some clarity about what you consider intelligence to be - even quick and educated people might behave quite awkwardly if they are exhausted after a long week at the office or not sufficiently invested in your game itself.

I'm not saying it's bad but to expand on pure bard vs. bardlock at level 14 you'll have 3 beams of EB, 3d10+15 or you could pick up like finger of death, fire storm (7d10*10+) or the classic prismatic spray, force cage, mord's swords, simulacrum, plane shift, resurrection, earthquake, sunburst, etc.

My DM won't use unofficial material.

How do I convince him to accept Unearthed Arcana stuff? It really fits well with my character's background.

>Wouldn't that be more of a halberd or glaive?
Well, they'd fit a Pudao better but a spear doesn't do a bad job either.
>And shit, isn't the Monk already bonus action heavy as it is?
Monk's only bonus actions come from Martial Arts and spending Ki for Dash/Flurry of Blows/ect. Obviously you don't want to spend Ki every single turn or you'll run dry quick, and you aren't or don't always want to be in melee range of the enemy to bonus action unarmed strike them.
Spear Mastery gives these options that cover exactly what you would want to do in the situations you don't want to be in or aren't in melee range of an enemy. The +5ft. range even works as a bootlegged Mobile feat for allowing you to melee a target without fearing an opportunity attack.

If the GM is new, stop pushing it. UA should only be used by experienced GMs that can differentiate between the okay stuff and busted stuff.

if i attack someone from behind do i have advantage?

I'm having trouble determining if Booming Blade would even work well on a Fighter since you can't multiattack with it

There is no "behind" by default unless the DM uses facing rules

It deals more damage than Extra Attack on an Eldritch Knight from levels 7-10, that's about it.

I mean, the party got nearly wiped more than once, so I doubt it'd change much. Game has been pretty high on lethality so far.

With facing rules do i have advantage?

Yes

IIRC it's pretty small

You still don't want one player who's significantly unbalanced with the others.
What's the UA that fits your character so well? Maybe we can help you find another way to play it.

the sneak attack mechanic attack is there to simulate attacking someone while they are facing towards someone or somewhere else.

if you don't have sneak attack i'd like you to roll a stealth check to see if the person faced the other way notices your approach/attack.

Rate my sorcerer buff that i have put next to no thought into.

>>MEGAMAGIC
>>At level 3 you gain the ability to twist your spells into a new form, allowing for powerful but potentially unreliable source of magic. When you finish a long rest you may pick two spells to become megaspells, you can choose three spells at level 10 and four at level 17.
>>Each megaspell has a charge, casting the spell uses its charge. On your turn you can spend one sorcery point to roll a d10. If you roll a 1-9, any spell whose level is that number or above gets recharged. If you roll a 0, all megaspells lose their charge and you can no longer make a roll to recharge until you finish a long rest.

Deep stalker. The character's people was mostly wiped out by certain slave-taking underground dwellers, so beyond being incredibly hateful of them he's sworn to take them out. It's not that it's necessary, but I think it'd make sense for him to specialize on the turf of his foes.

has anyone played with this? does it add anything? i play with a new group so that shit is a non-starter for us but i'd like to add a 2nd game since mine is only 10 hours a month currently.

>by certain slave-taking underground dwellers
Which ones? there are loads of them.

What happens if i divide every hp pool by 2 and every bonus to hit by 2 ?

So, what happens when the spell recharge? You get slot back? DnD doesn't track particular casted spells unlike M:tG.

Not really, but the scaling damage and the sneak attack damage compensate for losing your second attack. The battlemaster maneuvers are mostly there to get more sneak attacks from Riposte.

I play in 2 separate groups in both we use the optional flanking rules, not facing rules.

Everybody is a Stormtrooper
AoE spells dominate even more than before

I see your point, but I'm just not sure. Partly because the last time I ran a character with a spear, despite having a huge + to hit and shit and with the spear mastery and it even counting as a +1 when under half health (which I was constantly), I never hit fucking anything with that spear.

And at the same time I feel like it'd be kinda wasting the whole point of a Kensei if I didn't use a more exotic-than-normal-for-monks weapon.

These douches.

Flanking is a horrible mechanic and shouldn't have been printed.

The spells that were chosen cant be cast with slots only charges. If the spell is cast it loses its charge, if it is recharged it gets its charge back.

Best tank/grappler/damage sponge/whatever for a two-man short campaign?

What are you aiming for with your house rule?

Halving HP pool would make for more deadly game (which is presumably your goal). Imagine wizard with 5 HP. I think it might be OK, but i'd strongly advocate some buff to base HP to partialy compensate. Either avoid first levels and start at very least at 3rd level. Or give constant +10 HP to every PC - to avoid one hitting by goblin. That doesn't make for very intriguing story.

Halving bonuses to hit is more dangerous. They are more difficult to get and hitting is already quite swingy when you're rolling d20. Fighter with heavy armor, shield and Defense fighting style can sport 19 AC at first level. Also, without modifying AC, high-AC enemies and especially characters might be essentially unhitable - which isn't very fun either.

Oh, so the casting charged spell doesn't consume spell slot? That's... not mentioned. I think that might be too strong, unless you set upper limit for spell level and probably even then.

>Best tank/grappler/damage sponge
Sounds like you're describing barbarogue, but i am not entirely sure how to build it properly.

A swashbuckling clerogue of Talos who terrorizes the high seas in the name of his god, good idea or no?

So you have a player who is a paladin. They have chosen to take the Magic Initiate feat for one reason or another. Assuming he chooses Druid or Cleric, would you allow him to smite using his new divine cantrips for 1d8?

Half orc with pompador here.

That's ight, I'd recommend a longsword and Blade Mastery instead of the Warhammer and Fell Handed then. You won't have much of a STR mod to make use of the disadvantage thing, and you'll rarely find it worth using the Help action since that means you can't Martial Arts or Flurry of Blows for stunlocking as well.