Who here misses when Special Summoning was, you know, special?

Who here misses when Special Summoning was, you know, special?

These days it seems like most decks have the player Special Summoning five times as often as they Normal Summon/Set.

A top deck in the OCG meta revolves around tribute summoning. Obligatory mention about a nostalgiafag complaining about something they know nothing about, not realizing that what they want is already in the game.

I sure miss it.

Ever since Synchros were introduced the game has been a combofest.

Nerfing extra summons was a good idea but adding Link summons defeats the point.

Late GX/early 5Ds was when YGO truly came into its own. The "good old days" were a shitty game that wouldn't have survived - let alone thrived - after the initial anime hype died. Everything Magic players usually say about YGO would be true. We need Special Summon spam. It gives the game identity and mechanical flair.

What the game needs is more shit that cares about card position. Give me more archetypes like Weathery and Magibullet.

Agreed. Weathery are incredibly interesting, and the new positioning focus is a breath of fresh air.

By a certain point, with shit like Qilpoths & Monarchs, Normal Summoning was extremely strong. In fact, that may be Normal Summoning at its most broken.

>Qli
>Monarchs
>Normal Summoning at its most broken.
That's not how you spell True Draco

>complaining about normal and tribute summoning
>>>/shadow realm/
monarchs was never overpowered compared to many other decks and it would lose to samurais and gladiator beasts anyway

>A top deck in the OCG meta revolves around tribute summoning.
>These days it seems like most decks have the player Special Summoning five times as often as they Normal Summon/Set.
>most
>most =/= all

Special summon spam makes the game into a race. To each their own I guess but I prefer Yu-Gi-Oh! to be slower, and by slower I don't mean having a ton of decks where you spend five minutes playing with yourself to pull off a 15 card combo on the first turn.

>Qilpoths & Monarchs

I had a fun time playing against a Monarch deck a while ago and it was refreshing. My issue is that whenever Konami supports an older mechanic like Tribute or Fusion or Ritual it's always archetype-based instead of general support.

Rolled 16 (1d100)

>monarchs was never overpowered compared to many other decks and it would lose to samurai and gladiator beasts anyway

Where were you when Monarchs were at full power following the release of their structure deck in 2016?

>it's always archetype-based instead of general support
This is where everything went wrong. Not just the summoning mechanics, but everything was made worse and worse by the heavy archetype focus.
There are currently less than 30 generic support spells and/or traps for any given monster type in a game with over 8000 cards.
Not to mention that types like Aqua, Fish, and Sea-Serpent are always lumped together when they do get any form of generic support.
There are seven attributes and twenty-five Types. Why do we need so many special snowflakes?

Shit man, monarchs have come and gone into/from the top tier multiple times since they were introduced (soul control monarchs, frognarchs, fishborg/formula monarchs and neo monarchs), not to mention when they've been splashed into decks like perfect circle or troop dupe scoop.

As it turns out, cards that float on summon are pretty much always going to be at least okay to good.

The last time Monarchs were in they were Monarchs, not frognarch, not half 1 arch type with a few Raiza's. Monarchs were there own fully supported and realized archtype, but since they were cheep and good konami obliterated them with the banlist while letting Kaiju's run free despite them being a stormforth for literally every fucking deck

That's neo monarchs, which work on a different engine compared to pretty much every past incarnation of the deck. Until very recently, monarchs were an archetype in name only, although the basic strategy of generating free tribute fodder/tributing your opponents monsters and converting that card advantage into field control with the monarchs is pretty much one of the oldest, consistently viable strategies in the game. (Albeit, more viable in some formats than others)

Archetypes are one of the best things about yugioh.

>Why do we need so many special snowflakes?

To sell more booster packs.

If you make that card a core rule of the game instead of just a card, YGO is fixed. In every sense.

I'd rather they gave Extra Deck monsters (minus Fusions you need Polymerization for) Summoning Sickness like in MTG. Then they couldn't attack, use their effect or be used as materials/tribute for another Extra Deck summon on the turn they're played.

Let's not try to create some inbred retard game by trying to turn this stupid game into another stupid game, shall we?

Yugioh works because it's the most over the top stupid fun card game. Trying to limit the clusterfuck of rules that is yugioh is stupid. If you don't like it, just play Goats or whatever.

T.G. Agents times was around SS and it wasn't 15mins combo, those were the best. Somewhere in the middle of ZeXaL era when they got back to supporting synchro and fusion and some Xyz were nerfed it was also very good.

I really don't mind turbo combo (hell I like making Quasar) but link era is shaping up to be miserable like the the Four Horsemen of Xyz for any deck that isn't top tier.

I'm pretty sure the three months between the March 13 list and the TCG release of Lord of the Tachyopn Galaxy were the most fun I ever had playing the game.

March 13 was the kneecap on Inzektors/Wind-Ups right? Those were the times, I played a revamped TeleDAD around that time.

Just after all babies were banned/DRulers limited was also a pretty good metagame.

YGO was never good.

Look at the top deck lists of every era.

You are just nosgalitic for your young scrub game, and YGO doesn't have limited to capture some of that magic.

March 13 was just before rulers and spellbook, like literally days before. March 12 was the wind-up/winzektor format.

I had a lot of fun in the HAT format too, but shaddolls began this really annoying precident of making destruction totally useless, and that's what eventually stopped me from playing, once every deck became basically immune to all forms o removal that isn't kaiju

Monarchs used to be pretty broken.

>I had a lot of fun in the HAT format too
Uuuuuugh that format was terrible, set Hand and set 4 go, and it was that format that started the trend of being immune to removal because the TCG can't stop playing backrow heavy decks.

The only format I hate even more than that is Nekroz Lock because fuck Djinn Releaser

>nostalgiafag forgetting that since day 1 the meta was scapegoat to get 4 free tokens and then a metamorphosis for a TER
Oh please.

>He doesn't remember normal monster + equip spell meta
L O L !!

Hard to remember things that don't exist user. That may have worked on whatever schoolground you were on, but there was a pretty established meta pretty early on in goat control. Just because you were a shitter doesn't mean it didn't exist.

>He didn't play the OCG in Japan as it was released
Newfags, when will they learn?

What's so great about them?

>really annoying precident of making destruction totally useless
What is DRIDENT? What is MASTER PEACE?