So what's Veeky Forums reading?

I'm currently reading pic related, while still making my way through the limited edition of the 8th edition rules.

This guy's novel. As I am reading it and the vivid details of how Lucius is mercilessly savaging and maiming Dark Eldar wyches, I come to understanding how much GW values women....

Not that far into it, just finished the earliest version of this tale in which Beren is a gnome. Seems like a good read if you are into Tolkiens works.

Is it good?

It's pretty good, gives insight into how the Mechanicanicus views the universe in the 41st Millennium, and what disgusts and delights them.

The Red Knight. Only halfway into it but it appears to be a twist on the classic Arthurian tale but from the perspective of Mordred.

>So what's Veeky Forums reading?
I'm too wary of spoilers to post what I'm reading.

I recently finished Betrayer and Kharn: Eater of Worlds. Both are good, although the latter is better.

Screw you, Redemption Corps was pretty good and Fire Warrior as well.
I genuinly don't understand The Unforgiven as well. Sure the ending is messy but the rest is solid.

First book in the Powder Mage trilogy. I like it, although the author has some issues making the secondary characters seem interesting.

Bastion Wars deserves to be on Acceptable Tier, and there's no way that Emperor's Gift should be God-Emperor Tier.

Damn awesome.

Just got the players handbook and marshall's guide for the 1999 deadlands. Not sure ill ever use them, but I fucking love 90s rpg books.

Also reading a biography of Cato, which is only tagentially related, because I deeply want to combine my love of yog sothothery and my love of roman history to run a cthulhu invictus capaign, but I doubt that will happen.

Oh, and I guess I am reading a pdf of base raiders, because it is the fate game I want to run.

A Blade of Black Steel, second book in Alex Marshall's "Crimson Empire" trilogy. It's pretty good, although the slang is jarring at time, as is the fact that *every* character is a horny bisexual. But the story's interesting and the pacing is really nice.

Just finished Hero of the Imperium, and am now reading Defender of the Imperium.

Cain is truly best commissar

How is that one? Does it really read like a wych snuff film?

Black Legion, The Seige of Castellax (for what feels like an eternity) and pic related.

Mostly Black Legion though.

Talon of Horus. Not bad so far, bought it because I'm hoping I like it enough to warrant getting the fancy edition of the sequel.

Utopia Communities in America: 1680 to 1880

This. which now ranks as frankly the hardest yet weirdly rewarding book to read. I would describe as top notch beef jerky, extremely hard to get your teeth into without effort. Yet oddly morish.

- What's it like, I've only done LotR and Hobbit and that was ages ago. Is it any good?

Critique Of Practical Reason, a collection of 2016 best sci-fi fantasy shorts, random ospreys and osr dungeons when I'm tapped out on hard reading.

Went through Black Legion recently. It had a few fun moments.

anyone have the new adb book?

Want to read that, otherwise am reading old historical minutes from the RGS for my dissertation.

Just finished the sixth Dune book, and right now I'm reading Four Ways To Forgiveness by LeGuin. Planning to read all of the Hainish/Ekumen books eventually.

anyone?

I'm reading the Corum books by Michael Moorcock.

I'm enjoying Moorcock's take on Chaos a lot more than Games Workshop's.

About 35 pages in.

Is the main character a Sue? He kind of feels like one so far

>I genuinly don't understand

No, you wouldn't.

Ironic, since they used to be the same.

desu I like Lucius as a snide asshole. Where might I read this?

GW went in another direction and their version of Chaos. It's so rigid and predictable that I'm not sure if it even should be called Chaos anymore.

Picked up the first two omnibuses of this at the local used bookstore, and ordered the next two the next day. Really fun and charming horror/mystery series, and I love when they bring in pseudo-contemporary events, like having a whole story arc based around the Body Worlds art exhibitions.

what should I read to get on the 40k universe is advancing train.
Currently plan to read the first 3 HH books. Then what? Only essentials.

Need to chose what to read next.

Eric of melinbroud
The first law trilogy
Black Company
Horus Heresy

What would you advice?

I would choose Elric since I consider it a must-read. However the first few HH books are good too. Really enjoyable.

8/10. I liked it.

And yes.

I tend to move between series after I finish a book or two so I don't blow out on them or start to glaze over and skim whole chapters. Opinions but, read a book or two of elric, read some HH, read some first law, then some black company, it'll give you more variety/contrast.

Elric
You need to become a veteran of a thousand psychic wars

What's the name?

Just finished the dark angels trillogy

Pdf dump you faggots

Stop being a poorfag. Books are some of the cheapest entertainment you can buy.

Im not going to the bookstore in the rain you turbo nigger

Ciaphas Cain: HERO OF THE IMPERIUM

Same as this dude, started on Duty Calls today. I gave the first omnibus to my dad once I finished it, and he enjoyed the first short story, but I need to find a way to help him through some of the terminology and history of it. Loving it so far.

Truth be told, I got into it through the Blueblood mlp fanfic, which has been extremely good in my opinion.

"How to suck alot of dicks" by OP

The stargate SG-1 d20 rulebook.
The only thing I've ever played even near dnd was neverwinter nights 1. How mad is it to want to DM a game of this with no prior experience?
I just want to throw players through the gate and see what they do.
Someone link me a "how not to be a shit DM" guide or something.
Right now all I've got is high hopes and some ripped audio for backround sounds.

Mechanicum - after all these years finally went seen how theHeresy looks from Mars perspective

BTW is there a audiobook request thread (alive at that) where a guy can request some newest BL audios?

Whats the best book for starting w/ moorcock?

Just finished 'Let The Right One In' (after putting it off for years)

Now starting the second Sam Wyndham book. They're detective books set in the British Raj just after WW1. Pretty solid colonial noir.

A lot of moorcock, actually
SUCH a good writer.

Maybe Veeky Forums can help me out. I'm browsing audible for fantasy novels, and the recommendations the app gives me are all for this genre called 'litRPG". I haven't touched any yet. Are they good? Or trash? I am skeptical.

i need space westerns or space opera westerns

pls send help

>tfw space westerns died with firefly and no one has taken up the new mantle
>tfw other settings are rife with the capacity to have space westerns in them, but no one does it
>tfw space operas have taken over the entirety of space

* Emilio Salgari - The Tigers of Malaysia & The Black Corsair series - Perfect source of inspiration for your swashbuckling campaign.
* Frank Herbert - Dune - Re-reading because I want to make a fantasy setting based on the stuff.
* Several PDFs and articles about Vietcong and their tactics - Reading Because the players are going to have fun in a forest infested with the little scaley assholes.

I spy me some Goto

I enjoyed it. It wasn't perfect, but it was pretty damn good. Has some neat depictions of a Secutor handling Skitarii troop deployments on both a micro and macro scale, and I liked the variety in the Magi (one basically chopped his brain into sections and stuck them in a stocky robot frame, another has various mechbods that he changes for various purposes). Plus, literally overclocking your brain is some pretty neat transhumanist shit.

But I'm an Ad Mech fan, so take my recommendation with a grain (or pile) of salt.

In which order to read Elric?

It is tooo big and I will never read all of them. WHat are key books to read?

expanse volume six
shit's getting boring, especially since it now dwells on belter monkeys for chapter upon chapter
before reading books 5&6 of the expanse I read firefall by peter watts and it was so riveting that the expanse, which was mediocre to begin with, looks even worse

if you want something good read the culture series by ian m banks, consider phlebas is the book to start with
if you want something more like western read expanse, although the quality is all over the place from book to book and from chapter to chapter

I suppose Elric is a good place to start because it introduces recurring plot points, themes and characters. Moorcock just keeps getting better after the first run of Elric stories and he is great at world building.

It's also important to keep in mind that Elric is a bit of a cunt character at times because he was conceived as a postmodern antihero response to Conan and LOTR.

I've recently started The Dinosaur Lords. It's okay thus far.

I wanna get into BL novels again after a decade but they seem to have a massive hardon for either epub or hardcover with zero intention of going paperback, which is disappointing to me.

my first 40k book

Dahan a best, Blaylock a worst

Not a bad choice. Though not an amazing one either.

It's a good book that, as is the sequel, but I'd stop there because it sadly goes downhill at the start of book 3

Are you ACTUALLY reading Alexandria Quartet or is that just an aesthetic choice for a picture?

Because if you do... well that is an unusual choice around these parts of the internet.

Sadly, audible in general is a bit of a minefield.
I only ever get books I've tripled checked, or I've read before ( being a bit dyslexic means I inevitably miss parts when I read them Normally), since I was horribly rused the times I got them based on audible reviews.
On that note, avoid the shit out of Free the darkness, no matter how many recommendations you get for it, or how many good reviews it gets. It's wish fulfilment with a Mary Sue that gives Bella Swan a run for her money, and I'm not just using that term as shorthand for character I don't like, either.

About halfway through pic related.

Finished that recently, great read.

I really wanna make an undead-focused campaign in a setting with similar necromancy now. I love how that does it.

The suspense and mystery kept that series alive. Glad I stopped at book 3

I'm currently reading Red Stained Wood, a new adult fantasy novel featuring a humble cast of adventurers with varying degrees of guilt, self loathing and PTSD. And a relatively nice and balanced protagonist. Out to save the world from corrupt politicians (it's just like 2017!) and ancient evil (just like 2017!)

The US Kindle edition only cost me 99 cents
t.co/nbUYXvGSDI
Or 99p in the UK!
t.co/EK547AOoAt

Which I consider a real bargain, as someone with no stake in the matter.

Wow, I can't wait to read RED STAINED WOOD, I love adult fantasy novels!

Also just finished Betrayer, now I'm slogging through the Gathering Storm books to see what's up with 40k now. Kharn: Eater of Worlds is on my list though, along with Heart of the Conqueror and Kharn: The Eightfold Path

Monster hunter international, an impulse buy.

Cons:
The author is about as subtle as a brick with his political leanings, and it heavily colours the book. Don't really care personally, but I would fully understand if some do.
The wish fulfilment present in the MC is also strong. I won't go as far as saying Mary Sue, because he does have flaws that aren't just token, but it still makes the part just after the introduction a bit difficult to slog through
The twists and foreshadowing is pretty obvious
There's some pretty glaring inconsistency in some of the monsters' toughness, since they start off as being one man armies and eventually get mown down handily

Pros:
Hilariously over the top with the guns
Has enough of a light hearted style that the flaws don't come off as obnoxiously as, say, Sword of truth.
The author clearly realised he made his MC a bit too good, and did a decent job dialling it back about a third of the way through
Characters are mostly likeable
Audible narrator is pretty good

Overall I'd say about 7/10 personally

>Space Western.
Santiago, be Mike Resnik.
Elric if you want to know from where all those brooding antiheroes started to be common, the worlds moorcook are pretty interesting too.
The First Law if you want a more modern, character based tale. Shit setting tough.

That's the one with Louis, isn't it? He's good at a lot of stuff, but he isn't really a Sue. Also, not really the point of the book, it's kind of an "OOH, TOYS" book rather than conflict-driven. Never really got into Niven as a whole, but Ringworld was good and Puppeteers A Best.

Personally I've just finished Master of Mankind and started Mechanicum, but I've mostly been reading the Uplift Trilogy(s) and Peter F Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga. Uplift is especially awesome, and I've found a GURPS book for it for about £40, so maybe I'll try it out. Never found anyone else who's read them, but it's got so much awesome worldbuilding I have to recommend them.

Should have started with Titanicus.

Of course everything after is downhill.

>slogging through the Gathering Storm books to see what's up with 40k now
I read the Eldar one. It was okay. Too many 'Very Fast Eldar Fighting at Incredible Hihg Speed' sentences. Needed more show and less tell.

>Kharn
My battle-brother. Beware of The Red Path. It has the worst written combat I've ever had the displeasure of reading.

Would you say that Titanicus is better than the Gaunt's Ghosts series? If you've read it, that is.

I've been meaning to read Titanicus but it reminds of Baneblade and I don't find following a vehicle crew that thrilling.

Johannes Cabal book 5 audio book to and from work, pissed at myself for not realizing it came out a year ago.
Reading Imagine Ourselves Richly before bed when I get the opportunity, also got the Deadlands corebook which I should power through so I can pressure my friends to play Deadlands

Speaking of Titanicus, anyone know why it's out of print?

my nigga.
Tim Curry's recording of it is God Tier

read the first 1/3 of the book and found it boringish?? No characters, the PC and an overpowered disney critter to accompany her.
No fights, just a depressing darkness to keep at bay.
Does it get better?

Larry Correia has got to be a /k/ommando. If you like his style enough to overlook the masturbatory parts, I've heard good things about his other series: the urban fantasy one set up as '40s noir.
Personally, I enjoyed his new book, the black sword one. It's more Veeky Forums, is set in not!India, and really shows growth as a writer.

I just finished Mechanicum. Thought it was okay but don't think I'd recommend it.

Not that guy, but I tapped out after 6 GG books. First 3 were enjoyable, but it just didn't maintain interest for me. I prefer titanicus, tend to dislike serialized characters after about 3 novels. Titanicus has the gritty struggle of humans in wastelands, military politics, etc. that's in gaunts ghosts, but a more mechanicus/titan legion focus. If you like getting attached to characters and their struggles over long series though, there's a buuuuunch of gaunts ghosts.

No I am actually trying to read it, Durrell has lovely prose, I'm up to Nessim buying the summer house for Justine and the war about to start. Still super dense though!

Honestly I've never read Gaunt's Ghosts. I have a friend who loves the series but sadly he hasn't read Titanicus so...

Titanicus is one of my favorite books of all time. Seriously, I consider 40K books kind of my guilty pleasure series, but I will gladly display my copy of Titanicus alongside what I consider higher quality literature. No guilt whatsoever involved.

No idea. I had to get my copy used like a year ago or so? I'm actually not sure when I bought it exactly. I got it at a half priced books or something for cheap.

Last thing I read was was Neuromancer - William Gibson. Read much of it whilst listening to synthwave music, worked really well. Makes me want to try Shadowrun and pick up Netrunner again.

I'm genuinely impressed.
I personally never liked the book, and never finished it either. I think I picked it up too soon after reading Magus by Fowles, and Hopscotch (Rayuela) by Cortázar and I felt completely sick of yet another postmodern novel about troubled aspiring writer copying with identity crisis while going through a torrid love-affair with quirky and eccentric woman that he can't decide to love or hate while getting suck into an overlap of meta-textuality, metaphysical musings and first-half-of-20th century insecurities...
But it's a good book that I cannot but respect. Most of the literature of that time and tone shows some exceptional mastery of prose and subtle character working. I always ended up enjoying Fowles the most of the whole bunch (even if his stories are actually arguably the worst) just for how absolutely amazing his prose is. The love scenes and general work with femininity in Magus will probably never vanish from my memory. If you feel like you aren't completely sick of this genre after reading Quartet, Magus might be an interesting place to look for more of the roughly same tone.

How does Moorcock's Chaos differ from that of Games Workshop?

I found Black Company to be really good military fantasy. I definitely recommend it.

I won't lie user, I haven't read the books on your list! I'm pretty bad with 20th century classics to be fair. I picked it up as my brother spent a while in Egypt and he said that it captured the vibe of what once was.

I like JG Ballard, Highrise is one of my favourite book, that and Laline Pauls the Bees.

I liked his first book, but the second one had a decreased impact. I would never said that but eventualy you get tired of seeing lovecraftian horrors getting shot at. Is the third one (last one?) better?

Tell me more about his urban fantasy and the current fantasy one.

Its more 'eternal struggle across multidimensional acidspacetime between the forces of Law and Chaos that provide the balance that is life' less 'all consuming entropy personified in 4 general forms attempting to corrupt the real'. More actually chaotic instead of just violent. Absolute Law is fucked up too, total stagnation and flatness. The reading is still possible with warhammer chaos but it seems less intentionally open.

Black Company's the only good series out of that list.

I personally found the second book was written a lot better, since it dials back the power fantasy, and the author had a lot more nuanced approach to politics/institutions he didn't like.

Book 3 focuses on Harbinger, mostly.
The scale is a lot lower, and it's mostly about him dealing with the consequences of his past coming back to bite him.

The picturefag has shit taste. Don't try to make sense of it.

Prepping for a (theoretical) Ars Magica campaign. Also been reading through the Conan stories, but who'd care about that

40k does this struggle to a certain extent with the Emperor representing Law.