Cyoa thread

Previous Thread:Archives and other resources: pastebin.com/vrqYhnpu

What exactly would happen if you took Fated I or II and Retry Drive?

Would you be stuck in some kind of infinite loop?

Which one do you think represents you /cyoa/?

>Has never made an unperfect CYOA in his life
this fits me perfectly and im gon tell you why

I aint made shit

And what does GrimBright look like?

the only consistent example ive seen seems to be Mirrors edge
the world itself functions and is clean, efficient and rather aesthetically pleasing, but its just a really well molded veneer ontop of an otherwise stereotypically oppressive cyberpunk society
IE: cyberpunk with a better bottom line and good pr firms at the helm

Ergo the world we are headed for...

Except it probably won't look as aesthetically pleasing.

A children's cartoon. The Noble/Grim axis determines whether it's possible to enact change in the world, where the Bright/Dark axis determines how nice a place it is. So Grimbright is a world that never really changes, always defaulting to the status quo, but it's not actually that bad to live in if you can deal with the boredom.

It's kinda hard for this CYOA to not represent most.

Immortality
No Background
Nobledark (+4)
The Slayer
Outsider
Sword, S: Rare Metals, Alloy, Exotic Materials, Ancient = (13) + Dual = (3 + 7)
>Presence (1)
Armor, S: Common Metals, Ancient = (5)
>Repairing (1)
Divine Intuition
Orderward: Contract, Lucky, Kingsteel
Apartment, Main District
Retry Drive
Kill the Archdemon
Drifter's Curse (+5)

Hearty keks all around

In the later games it turns out they're not that opressed and the rebels are just assholes.

I never finished it, could you tell me about them being assholes?

Many runners re-integrate into society and live full happy lives, except for the militant group black november that is hyper-violent.

I have a really important question for the creator or someone who knows fully the creator's intentions.
If I got the skill "craftmaster" and am proficient enough at crafting weapons that they take on a "divine" nature but do not take the "firearms" skill am I magically incapable of assembling a firearm even if I fully understand how to make one? Also, are these skills something I start off with or obtain eventually through practice? Can someone with "smithing I" eventually acquire "smithing II" even though they did not buy the skill? Is the sole reason for taking "smithing II" simply to start off with it instead of working for it? That's what it seems like for the weapons part and most people who made builds in the past threads avoided spending points on weapons since they could just get some in the world later or even find/make better ones than the stuff offered.
Also, what about the magic spells? If I do not get level 3 of "elemental" does that mean I will never be able to obtain it? This seems more believable since maybe some people need to be born with the magic spark in their soul or something like that, but not being able to ever comprehend/make a metal tube with the intentions of putting a projectile in it while being a "divine" craftsmen seems weird. Thanks for any input on this!

>All skills could be learned eventually, these are just some you will start off knowing.

>ea ruins a story in sequels
gee what a surprise

If I got the skill "craftmaster" and am proficient enough at crafting weapons that they take on a "divine" nature but do not take the "firearms" skill am I magically incapable of assembling a firearm even if I fully understand how to make one? Also, are these skills something I start off with or obtain eventually through practice? Can someone with "smithing I" eventually acquire "smithing II" even though they did not buy the skill? Is the sole reason for taking "smithing II" simply to start off with it instead of working for it?
No.
Yes, with practice you can *eventually* learn.
Yes.

I think it's a nice twist on an overused trope.

Most rebels turn out to be asshole even if they weren't meant to by the creators desu.

In addition to being able to learn our growth gives us more points. It is not clear if we can only use them on stats or if we can buy more proficiency.

Well that is lame,and lets not forget no unmonitored communication EVER.

I missed that part with the "eventually" thing.
Thanks!

Authorfag here. I intended Soul Power to directly translate to stat gain as you adventured in the world - it's slow, but you can fluff exactly how slow anyway you want. Also depends on what your Power gain is: a Sigil bearer may find themselves amongst the most powerful beings within only 6 or 7 months, while a Soulcatcher might take significantly longer.

How do you learn to rewind time 60 seconds before you die once a year?

>Immortal (-4. 36)
>Physique Change (-2. 34)
Immortality because it's immortality. Infinite time to grow stronger, travel the world, and enjoy all it has to offer. Physique change because dying is certainly still possible, so taking the long route through gaining good physical health feels pretty risky when I can hit the ground running for only 2 points.

>Reincarnation: No Background (-0. 34)
True Isekai entrance, just feels right.

>Context: Noblebright (+2. 36)
The 'standard' difficulty, I imagine. Plus, killing the Archdemon and wiping out all demonkind feels like a jerk move in Comfybright where a fair number are living peacefully.

>Power Gain: The Sigil
Gain power by working hard and improving myself. Also the only power source that doesn't outright encourage murder, absorbing souls, or brainwashing people. Defeat a tough enemy: gain power. Improve myself outside of combat: gain power.

>Class: Outsider
>Two extra Attributes. (-6. 30)
Strength: 2
Defense: 2
Agility: 2
Dexterity: 2
Intelligence: 2
Willpower: 4

A balanced start, a class that works so well with the No Background Origin, and max Willpower just feels right. Especially for unlocking those hidden traits. That makes it sound like a very "protagonist" attribute to have.

Hey, the text of Ranged 1 says gunpowder weapons are useless on the undead and demons - if I pick a Gunpowder Type form for my special weapon, does that apply to it as well, or is the special weapon, like, blessed or otherwise always useful? Seems a little weird for a goddess who wants me to go demonhunting to offer me a choice that's no good against demons.

(40)
Personal
-Immortality (36)
Because fuck time limits

Reincarnation
-Ascending Prince (34) (+1 intelligence)
Do I Have to kick out the king? Yes? Fine, one completely unnecessary civil war coming up.

Context
-Nobledark (38)
A good story is defined by good conflict.

Power Gain
-SoulFeeder
Bloodthirst was also a good option but it's less grindable.

Attributes
-Palladin
I'm supposed to be the good guy, right?

Skills
-Craftmanship
--Smithing 1
--Smithing 2
--Smithing 3
--Automation Magic
--Firearms
(25)
Gonna need to outfit an army.

-Combat
--Offhanding 1
--Offhanding 2
--Melee 1
--Melee 2
(19)

-Mental
--Disarming 1
--Disarming 2
--Level Head
--Fast Learner
(13)
When you want to be King you've got to know these things.

Magic
-Conjurationx2
(7)

Equipment
-Sword M
--Trick-Gunpower S
--Common Metals
--Coated
-Shield M
Yes, it's a gunblade. Deal with it.

(0)

Companions
-Clone
The only man I can trust
-Monstergirls
Because blatant waifuism

Starting City
-Orderward
-Brothers in Arms
-Lucky
Now I'm going to need a small army and-oh hello there.
-Kingsteel
As befitting my pretentious heritage.

Accommodations
-Apartment
--Workshop District
Because I'm out of money.

Hidden Ability
-Relativity drive.

Goals
-Settle Uncharted Lands.
Lets see if we can run a city before running all of humanity.

Strength 2
Defense 5
Agility 2
Dexterity 2
Inteligence 4
Willpower 3

Ergo it is dumb to use our initial points to raise stats, go for the exclusives.

So dont

That is what I said go for exclusives.

The libraries of Amben contain some freaky shit

its a monster hunting tool, though you're right in that it's not a primary goal

I'll admit this was kind of a personal option: instead of a bunch of skills, I'd just pick fast learner and a couple essentials and be on my way. With all those extra points I could make things easier for myself by buffing my base stats

>The libraries of Amben contain some freaky shit
>"People die when they are killed" The greatest lie. Revised edition

>Reapers HATE him!
>Scholar learns one simple trick to CHEAT DEATH!

Update when? I really enjoy this one

>Time benders? In MY alternate universe? It's more likely than you think.

I imagine testing out this skill is rather nerve-racking.

I'm right in the middle of finishing up some new OC (phoneposter so I can't link the WIP from last thread), but I was thinking of making a Hunter's Guild or Questing Guild expansion

Adventure Time.

That would be pretty neat because i like to test the amount of mental anguish someone can get in a grimdark world with a retry drive and second chance

>Ascending Prince
>Slayer
>Mercenary Band
>Today

>Personal:
Immortal (free choice)
Age Change 19 (39)
Physical/appearance Change (33) Going all out to be a beautiful well built female elf.

>Reincarnation
No background

>Context
Grimdark (39)

>Power Gain
Slayer

>Class
Outsider (few will have will to take)

>Skills/Magic
None

>Equipment
Longsword M (Alloyed Rare metals/exotic materials, Extraordinary, Weight, Ancient,) -20
Enchanted with Presence -1
(12)

>Companions
Divine intuition x2

>City
Orderward

>Perks
Brothers in arms, lucky, Kingsteel

>Accommodations
Castle (0)
Luxury district (to get access to fighting ring)

>Hidden ability
Retry Drive (hehehe)

>Goal
Kill the Archdemon

>Afflictions
None

Slayer + grimdark + retry drive means I am be able to kill so much stuff to gain power without worrying about dying. Plus I really wanted an uber sword and slayer makes it cost effective.

Sounds good, user. Keep up the good content, you're keeping a fellow phoneposter at work entertained

>Combat Skill: Melee Tier One (-1. 29)
>Combat Skill: Combat Magic Tier One (-1. 28)
>Mental Skill: Disarming Tier One (-1. 27)
>Mental Skill: Superb Affinity (-1. 26)
>Mental Skill: Improved Healing (-1. 25)
>Mental Skill: Fast Learner (-1. 24)
>Mental Skill: Level Head (-2. 22)
>Mental Skill: Multiple Focus (-2. 20)

Wanted tier two melee and magic combat, but other needs outweighed them. Mental skills were way too useful to pass up on any of the ones I wanted, and seem especially useful for adventuring life, and future improvement.

>Magic: Elemental Tier 1 (-4. 16)

Basic combat magic, because I always lean somewhat into the mage role, and it really isn't something I can put off learning if I want to start off as an adventurer.

>Form Archtype: Medium-sized Catalyst. (-3. 13)
>Materials: Organic (-4. 9)
>Add-ons: Trick (-3. 6):
Polearm (-2. 4)
>Enchantments: Presence. Repairing. (6/6 Conductivity)(-2. 2)
Every hero needs an epic weapon. Grows in power with me, switches between magic and melee as the situation demands, and repairs itself whenever it breaks! I imagine over time it'll be less breakable and repair itself faster, as we both grow in strength. Bonus points if I can talk to it. Living weapons are one of my favorite tropes.

>Form Archtype: Light Armor (-2. 0)
>Materials: Common (-0. 0)
>Add-ons: None
>Enchantments: None
Basic armor because I'm likely starting with no money and will need to work before getting paid. Would to have some form of basic protection, and I can purchase something better later.

i dunno, an alpha class psyker perpetually on LSD might see 40k similarly too
guess Grimbright is essentially just based on the perspective the story is told from then

>Grimdark
>Retry Drive
So what if one of your companions dies and you can't find a way to save them? Enjoy Groundhog Day.

I'm thinking the subconscious will mentioned will turn off and let you or your fated companion die

I don't care about my companions which is why I took divine intuition twice. But your right I could end up repeating things a lot, but grimdark does not mean impossible just really really hard.

Noble/Grim axis is based on how the setting actually functions when you look closely at it.

Dark/Bright is aesthetics - or more precisely, mood (which is different from tone, but not many recognize the difference anymore).

If your gun doesn't kill it, then you clearly aren't using enough gun.

>I don't care about my companions which is why I took divine intuition twice
>Not choosing the goddess to waifu her and then after you killed the archdemon reap the benefits of a goddess waifu

Shit, meant to say it's more precisely tone, which is different from mood. fml

lol hadn't thought about that...

What do you want to see in the new not!DomainMaster cyoa I'm making. Tend to make it more brighter than my usual settings.

Well, what is going to be about?

And she would be safe too which is why I avoided using custom for a waifu.

Improving my build guys thank you very much haha

Wisdom in quads. You have slain the ultra giga nigga through the power of gun.

Oh, final stat results are:
Strength: 2
Defense: 2
Agility: 2
Dexterity: 2
Intelligence: 4
Willpower: 6

>Companions: Divine Intuition x2

Basically, just help me wind up finding at least two true companions to travel the world with. Me not having a choice in the matter, combined with my no origin meaning I'm not gonna have a childhood in this world, made this feel like the most natural option.

>Starting City: Orderward
Because it sounds like it can use some help, and it'd be a good starting point before eventually going to Amben to learn more magic and help them break out of their seige.

>Brothers in Arms
>Lucky
>Contract

Help me get in an adventuring party, luck for general protagonist help, and Contract to maybe be the job that ends us up in Amben? Felt like a good perk to justify my headcanon.

>Accommodations: Apartment (-0. 0)
I got no points left, and where else is a nobody adventurer supposed to sleep?

>District Pass: Main
Most useful for basic adventuring needs. I can work on getting the other passes when I can afford the luxury.

>Hidden Ability: Retry Drive.
Gain Return By Death and never truly die til the world is at peace. Combined with Immortality, I think I'm just not gonna die, ever, unless I take my own life, or become the villain.

>Goals: Kill the Archdemon. Settle Uncharted Lands. Hunt the Ancient Wyrm.

Probably in that order. I'm immortal. I can make time to do pretty much every heroic thing as the world demands. Archdemon is definitely first on that list though. The rest are just ideas of what I can work on afterwards.

>Afflictions: None.
None of them feel worth it for the cost, except the final one, and I'm too greedy to let myself forget my time here and the things I've learned. Hopefully some of these skills will help me in my world after it's all said and done, provided everything beyond me forgetting this world is still canon without that drawback

Puppies!

It's hard to give suggestions without actually seeing it, Bliss. I don't know what you have and what might fit thematically. I can say that I enjoyed the anemities available in Monster Hunter, such as hot springs, a bar, and the ability to throw some broad options together into a companion

Loyal submissive muscle waifus who you meet on your adventure

>Submissive muscle
Shit taste

Brighter yes

Yes please!

This.
Holy hell that's awful taste.

>Shit taste

Beta males detected

Choose your powers, make some companions, make your base, choose your surroundings. "Black" vs "White", basically two sides against eachother. But it's not a good vs evil, moreso just 2 factions at eachothers throats.

You and your minions will be overpowered bitches in a world where relatively most people would be max lvl 30 against your lvl 100. Though of course there are the exceptions you'd have to look out for.

I'll fit in some customization options to your base building and the surroundings you choose.

Sorry just a human and magic cyoa this time.

Customize your overpowered waifu.

Still not sure how to make 2 rivaling factions fight over territory without much bloodshed. Still I'm all for suggestions as I'm still writing the premise.

Basically art and design is already taken care of.

>Liking subs
Sorry I don't speak faggotry

>not liking submissive musclegirls makes you a beta male
>unironically calling someone a beta male
He keeps proving how shit he is.

Stats:
-Strength : 6
-Defense : 7
-Agility : 5
-Dexterity : 6
-Intelligence : 7
-Willpower : 5

Immortal (Free)
Ascending Prince
Noblebright
Soulcatcher
Duelist
+2 Attribute Points

Skills:
-Alchemy 1 + Enchanting 1, 2
Ranged 1, 2 ,3 + Infiltration
-Offhanding 1, 2, 3
-Combat Magic 1, 2, 3 + Monster Hunting
-Melee 1, 2, 3 + Armor
-Disarming 1, 2
-Superb Affinity, Telepathy
-Fast Learner, Multiple Focus, Precognition
-Improved Healing, Level Head, Tactics, Telekinetic Barrier

Magic:
-Elemental 2
-Conjuration 1

Equipment:
-Armor Type S, Common Metals, Coated
-Sword Type M, Exotic Materials, Alloy, Rare Metals, Incorporeal
-Catalyst Type S, Organic, Repairing, Coated, Incorporeal

Allies
Memory x2 (Free)
>Tfw best friends
Memory
>Tfw GF
Custom x2
>Tfw best friends need made up GFs

City:
Kaiserbourg
-Kingsteel
-Connections
-Librarian
Medium House
Luxury District

Retry Drive

Kill the Archdemon

>"Black" vs "White", basically two sides against eachother. But it's not a good vs evil, moreso just 2 factions at eachothers throats.
Option to be (in a) neutral (faction), or to have the conflict between the two factions of the "friendly competition" sort rather than any actual animosity. Or both, now that I've thought about it.

>He keeps proving how shit he is.
>Sorry I don't speak faggotry

Whatever you say betas, let me post some thing that appeals to your taste

>Customize your overpowered waifu.

I got my answer, Thanks a lot bliss

>Still not sure how to make 2 rivaling factions fight over territory without much bloodshed.
The territory itself is either too delicate or somehow magically sympathetic to death and bloodshed, meaning both factions have a vested interest in preventing deaths while fighting over it for it to remain valuable.

Wow, for a minute there I thought I was on Veeky Forums

Only just now did I reread the first blurb and realize it said 40, not 100. Fuck.

>Still not sure how to make 2 rivaling factions fight over territory without much bloodshed.
Dog Days.

>Still not sure how to make 2 rivaling factions fight over territory without much bloodshed. Still I'm all for suggestions as I'm still writing the premise
Both sides managed to get a powerful artifact that upon the death of you or your minions the soul will get sucked in the artifact and a new body will start to be created. But maybe that is too much.

Mutual deterrence? Perhaps both factions possess immensely powerful weapons and instead compete in Olympic Games or smth similar

Can Soulcatcher catch other Incarnates?

Oh fuck no don't add the "I don't want to join a team teehee give me independence" bullshit.

Sometimes anons say they'd want CYOA authors to write VN's or even games.
Ideas like this is why that would be an awful idea (or proof why these anons won't ever make any content)

Get outta here SDA

It was the first thing it appeared in my head, no need to be so rude user.

Yeah, just not other Soulcatchers.

Slimegirls.

>I choose to not choose anything XD

Seconded.

A la cold war?

Sure, but the emphasis of this cyoa lies in contrast. Perhaps I'll conjure something like a mutual belief with bad omens, or some god.

"I'd k-kill you but there's a bad omen right now."

Hmm this may be good for an area.

Not sure that'll work, thanks for the idea though.

This time I actually read the fucking point total

Stats:
Strength: 4
Defense: 4
Agility: 4
Dexterity: 5
Intelligence: 3
Willpower: 1

Immortal (Free)
Ascending Prince (-2)
Nobledark (+4)
Soulfeeder
Duelist

Skills:
-Melee I-II (-3)
-Offhanding I-II (-3)
-Diarming I (-1)
-Imporved Healing, Level Head, Tactics (-6)
-Fast Learner, Multiple Focus, Precognition (-6)

Magic:
None, fuck it

Equipment:
Armor Type S (-2), Common Metals
Sword Type M (-2), Rare Metals (-2), Incorporeal (-3), Dual (-7)

Allies
Memory x2 (Free)
>Tfw best friends (They can find their own waifus in this world)
Memory (-4)
>Tfw GF

City:
Kaiserbourg
-Kingsteel
-Connections
-Libraria
Medium House (-3)
Luxury District

Retry Drive

Kill the Archdemon

>A la cold war?
In "Dog Days", the opposing sides (kemonomimi of the dog and cat variety at first, with squirrel types joining in at some point) fight and run through obstacle courses for prizes (and to entertain viewers). If they get sufficiently damaged (no actual wounds), they're magically incapacitated (also kept from being harmed further, I think) and brought to recovery areas by medics. All in good fun.

Eclipse CYOA when

You missed it, wait 118 years

That's not brutal at all.

It's fighting without much (if any) bloodshed.

Also if the girls get incapacitated their clothes explode.

You have my attention

Bliss senpai, when will you finish Dungeon Design?