Your current party has been whisked away to the land of Patapon. How do they react to this strange new land...

Your current party has been whisked away to the land of Patapon. How do they react to this strange new land, and how do they react to the inhabitants?

On beat

>PATA PATA PATA PON.

Back when I was a wee child and played something like 400 hours of Patapon 2, I wrote up an incredibly basic survival RPG based on the concept of figuring out what happened to the other patapon survivors of the shipwreck that stranded them in the land of the Karmen. It was super basic d6/d10 system, but I ended up statting up every monster save for Dettankarmen and Kanogias, and making loot tables for all of the materials.

I've recently been thinking about revisiting that concept. Do you think that survival is the right kind of game for patapon? I've been running into trouble trying to capture the feel of a rhythm game on paper.

>Do you think that survival is the right kind of game for patapon?
Most certainly. I mean, the setting's a fucking death world, where world destroying eldritch abominations slumber, and terrible monsters lurk in every corner. All whilst you need to hunt for food, and try to endure through it all. It's perfect for a survival setting.

Alright, so I was thinking a little on the actual mechanics of translating a rhythm game to tabletop, and here's what I've got so far.

>Beats
Beats are a player abstraction that encompasses a single turn, which always progress in as the "ally turn" an "enemy turn" order. During a turn, each character has a total of four actions they can perform, under the types of PON, PATA, DON, or CHAKA. I'm thinking PON actions are offensive, PATA are movement-based, CHAKA are defensive, and DON are specialized, like item use or magic. Multiple players performing the same pattern of actions could strengthen the action as a whole, or make it slightly easier to make succeed.

Particular songs could even be kind of hidden upgrades for the player, providing framework for specific buffs, like DON DON CHAKA CHAKA giving a boost to jumping/movement during the turn, even if they don't jump as an action, or PON PATA PON PATA boosting movement speed.

Sounds pretty good so far user. Though, how do you intend to represent the enemy version of this with the Zigoton Drum?

Naturally, the Beat system is a universal one and enemies follow it as well. It would be interesting for them to have different drums detailing different aspects however. For example, the Bonedeath, being the little demonic full-aggro bastards that they are, could have drums representing AGGRESSION, SORCERY, SACRIFICE, and COWARDICE as opposed to the patapon's ATTACK, DEFEND, MOVE, and SPECIAL.

Hmm, this could be really interesting now that I think about it.

Alright, I'm going to try and work up a quick start rules once I get off work. Keep this thread up until then!

Also a question, what kind of dice would you prefer for this? I looked over my old notes of the original and realized I used Heroscape dice and d20's for the whole thing, so it's pretty up in the air.

>Keep this thread up until then!
Will do user. As for dice, anything should do really, so long as it fits what you're going for here.

Could do a dice building deal. Like base is d6, and for each pc who joins in the beat the dice size by one so d6 bumps up to d8, d10 etc

PON PON PATA PON

Quick update, I'm thinking of keeping the stats for singular patapon simple, and then have larger statistics and characteristics for the rest of the larger survivor party as a whole. Statswise for the players, I'm thinking they have HP, and then four primary characteristics being Ton, Chin, Kan, and Hai. I was thinking Ton is physical prowess, Chin is constitution and defense, Kan is skill and ability, and Kai is a combination of luck, magic, and a certain je ne sais quoi.

How does that sound?

Sound pretty good so far. It definitely sounds pretty well thought out.

Here's my incredibly, incredibly rough first draft at basic mechanics. The idea is to make the settlement more important than the individual patapons in terms of making sure it's alive and well, kind of like Kingdom Death. Individuals can still be huge badass legends, but in the end you need the settlement around them to live too.

It's coming together well, user. Hope you can manage to flesh it out further.

If I dont get a more completed version posted before this thread ends, I'll make a thread with it in a day or two when I do.

BARD SUPREMACY

CASTER GO HOME

If we're still doing battalions, I suggest that the progression is based around number of units.

Unless you are a Hero type, the highest total stat a unit can have is based on the size of their platoon. No matter how trained the warrior or keen the blade, a battle is lost without able comrades.
ex.
>a single yuripon can have at most 20 total stat AFTER training/upgrades
>a platoon of 10 tatepons can have at most 30 total stat AFTER training/upgrades

But the number of units in the platoon also determines the amount of "xp" or gear required before you can increase the platoon's stat as a whole.
ex.
>a yuripon only needs 5 trophies to cap
>a platoon of 10 tatepons needs 150 trophies to cap

numbers obviously subject to change

Reorganizing a platoon to accommodate additional troops will cost resources and may even result in a lowered level.

I've actually gotta wonder, how strong *are* demons in the Patapon verse. Since even a mere servant demon like Gorl was apparently capable of destroying the Earth by itself, and taking over the entire universe.

I don't think the patapons really had a proper concept of a world. Powered-up Gorl could take over a continent. Normal Gorl would probably be enough for occupying a conquered continent.

I mean, the world of Patapon seems to be pretty damn vast. What with the giant floating sky cities, monsters capable of consuming whole lands and leaving only barren desert, the ancient tombs scattered all over the place, giant floating rainbow eggs that house whole worlds/exist within the core of the world. It's pretty crazy. And Demons in this verse seem to be reality-warmers of some capacity, since whenever they appeared the sky would usually take on a distorted coloration. Hell, it's even worse with Gorl whose mere presence turned the sun/moon *black*. Even if it's only a continent buster, that's still some insane showings that one can gleam from just it's initial appearance.

Fighting against patapons must be terrifying
>army of cyclops fighting you while singing
>they even find it it fun and are only afraid when fighting demons
>they don't die if there is a master sprout so winning a battle is worthless

The spookiest was that hell gate stage in Patapon 2

Bababaan was delightfully horrifying.

Bump

This shit is interesting.

addendum

"heavy" unit like those club-wielders count as 3 units or something.

Patapon is one of the best videogame series ever made my friend. Hoe said that we haven't gotten a fourth game.

Patapon 2 pissed me off.

Not because of anything to do with the actual gameplay, but because at the time it was released, $ony made you download the game from their online store and the case only gave you a voucher.

It took me 3 days to download the game and by the time I did, it couldn't live up to the hype that my younger self created from trying to download the game over and over again and I haven't touched my PSP ever since.

I really didn't like 3. The ridiculously dark plot aside, becoming entirely about hero units kind of killed the original spirit of patapon.

>Not PON PON PATA PON

It's like you don't even want the fever

While I really didn't mind the concept and designs of the heroes and such, my major gripe is that they anthropomorphized them in 3 and took the focus away from the army aspect.
I have to wonder how Patapon 4 would have progressed story-wise when you have pretty much a subspecies of Patapons that're taller and more human than the rest. Gameplay-wise you could have a hero leading each unit of their respective classes and that would be that. Seems like a good compromise.

I'd say 2 had the right mix between army and hero.

Bump! This has potential

>The ridiculously dark plot aside,
You're saying that you *didnt* enjoy the Archfiends?

I certainly didn't enjoy the vague(or perhaps badly translated) choice options that completely decided major plot points.

>I certainly didn't enjoy the vague(or perhaps badly translated) choice options that completely decided major plot points.
That's pretty understandable. Its certainly better than those people who hate on arbitrary parts of a game and let those things shape their entire experience. Sometimes without not even finishing the game because of their own petty gripes.

most people dont finish games in general