Hey, anons. My players are looking for a campaign where they can play as a ragtag group of explorers, merchants...

Hey, anons. My players are looking for a campaign where they can play as a ragtag group of explorers, merchants, freelancers, and mercenaries. They don't mind what setting it is as long as it's at sea or in space.

You guys got any recommendations? I'm looking at WH40k Rogue Trader, Traveller, and 7th Sea.

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/1637945166/stars-without-number-revised-edition/description
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Haven't played it, but Stars Without Number looks like a nice one for exploration games.

Why not Starfinder? Everyone loves Pathfinder here.

Traveller, or in this modern age, Cepheus Engine.

I'll look into it.
Some of my players aren't too big a fan of PF, but it's something I'll look into, too. Maybe I can change some minds.
Honestly, after reading through some Classic Traveller books, it seems like a great system. In terms of a space campaign, I'm torn between Classic Traveller and Rogue Trader.

I'd second Stars, having played it. You'd be best served by looking at 1E and the Revised beta to see what you prefer.

just one bump

I'd use rogue trader or fragged empire, depending on what tone I want

Late reply, but how does it stack up against other systems like Traveller and Rogue Trader?

And a kickstarter for a revision is about a week from being over

I know tg hates it (or just hates the fan base) but you should look into numenera, seems like something you would like.

Thirding SWN, because it is easy to resking shit from other games, make house rules, and it has awesome world creation tools

I'd say Traveller, probably classic. Rogue Trader doesn't really work fully imo, and has problems with it sometimes forgetting it's own scale. It and other options are all fairly complex.
Classic Traveller can be as easy to use as you want, but if you do want a rule for something it does exist. Character creation is also super fun.
Mongoose Traveller is also decent if you wanted something newer.

I can confirm that SWN's good, best part is that you can pretty much any sort of theme with it. Want to do something a la Firefly? Go for it. Want to explore strange new worlds, seek out new life and new civilizations, and boldly go where no man has gone before? You got it.

Are you familiar enough with Rogue Trader or Traveller to compare the systems?

Just about any system could work. From playing pirates in D&D to running a Star Wars game focusing less on force users

The combat's admittedly a little weird, and there's less class variety (only 3, unless you count AI as a class, otherwise you've got warrior guy, skill monkey, and psychic), but overall it's a pretty easy system to pick up and fairly versatile as well. There's actually a Kickstarter going for a revised edition that'll add more character options, among other things.

Traveller is literally that.

kickstarter.com/projects/1637945166/stars-without-number-revised-edition/description

Have you guys tried the beta rules? Are they playable?

I haven't even played it. I just backed it because I keep hearing praise for stars and the developer seems like a great guy.

I can speak for Rogue Trader, at least. The system's very simple, using percentile dice for basically everything (i.e., if you have a skill of 50% with guns, rolling 50 or below is a success) and there are a lot more options class-wise, and it thankfully can be a lot less grimdark than is usual for the 40k setting (partly owing to the fact that you're so absurdly rich and influential that you could say "I'd like a 10 foot solid gold statue of my cock on every street corner" and actually have a chance of the reply being "Of course, my lord, I'll go fetch the paperwork."

>developer seems like a great guy
Seconding this. Crawford is active pretty much anywhere there's a decent SWN community, and always is one of the first to clarify a rules question or offer a alternative way of handling things