>a guy who likes to play a samurai in european medieval fantasy games

What do you think of that guy?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasekura_TsunenagaNot
youtube.com/watch?v=Ap_NkPCkl4c
youtube.com/watch?v=KKDdo0rnak8
youtube.com/watch?v=evHT1-KzXOE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If the game is D&D I don't give a shit because its a fantasy kitchen-sink hodgepodge and kung fu is literally a core class.

If its European historical game or explictly European fantasy [like Arc Magica] then just play a Saracen like a normal person if you want to be exotic and foreign.

If he can some how explain how this jap some how reached europe than fine

nothing wrong with wanting to play a samurai merc or ronin if its historically accurate. assuming this is some low fantasy game and not some dnd/lotr like setting in which case i would say go nuts.

>using the term jap unironically
w e w

Yeah, nip is way better. Jap does have that old classic "We're gonna have to slap the dirty little jap" rhyme to it though.

jap is just nu /pol/ tier speak. nip is more true to Veeky Forums culture

Jap is a classic dating all the way back to WW2.

Every now and then can be fun an interesting. All the time seems less good. Maybe twice in a row to riff on 'you killed my father/brother/cousin!'. After that time to try something else.

and....? what im talking about is Veeky Forums culture you blind retard.

Sounds fun. If I'm not running a particularly realistic game, I'm all for it. "Wacky foreigner" is one of the great concepts of heroic fiction. Hell, we could do a riff on "The 13th Warrior" with him taking Antonio Banderas's place.

>What do you think of that guy?

He's that same guy who never shows up to the game when it actually takes place in a medieval fantasy Japanese setting, so FUCK 'IM.

Playing a Samurai is fine. The problem is when they get weird or annoying with it, but that's not exclusive to people who think samurai are cool. I've been on Veeky Forums long enough to know that there are plenty of insufferable tools who won't shut the fuck up about historical accuracy. A higher concentration, even

Depends on the setting but all in all I'd let him do it so long as it's not horribly against the established universe.
We all like some stupid shit, this ain't the worst thing ive seen/experienced.

Why not. That crazy ass monk walked the entire silk road to bring silk to europe. He could probably find a way.

Obviously you goofed in by not playing a wild west setting with samurai because that works a lot better. Time periods coincide with the end of the samurai epoch so it's a recipe for delight.

>a girl who likes to play an elf in feudal Japan fantasy games

What do you think of that girl?

>european medieval fantasy games

Yea but what lamewad plays that? Classical era/Bronze age is where it's at

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasekura_TsunenagaNot quite medieval, but by the early modern period there were japanese out on the world stage. British sailors encountered Japanese mercenaries at sea, there were Japanese mercenaries employed by the Spanish in Mexico, etc. So depending on what your setting is like? It's not all that weird.

I think it could be pretty fun. Give them a penalty to charisma due to language barrier and compensate with bonus combat stats and you have the, "that foreign guy that doesn't say much but fights real good" character.

I usually play less serious games, so it'd be fine, but he should know to expect Ninja ambushes from the clan of ninja that are loyal to the Daimyo he abandoned to journey to the west.

Jap is easier to type than Japanese.

Suck my dick you cunt.

I'd prefer calling it some kind of yokai or kami, even if it was virtually identical to an elf.

only if its some sort of youkai or local kami that has been demoted to human status. otherwise gtfo the girl player can stay if she's a qt though

just write nip you crossboarding faggot

Jap short for Japanese. Nip is short for niponese, because nipon is Japan in Japanese.
None of this is remotely racist, it's literally the name of their country you autist. If Jap is racist then so is brit or yank.

>not calling everyone that's not a first worlder "Charlie"

jap is a historically racist term you retard

By this logic, calling someone a Paki isn't offensive also no one said racist you mong

>using the r-word in anno domini 2017

This.
If there is a fair bit of cross travel in the setting, it's easy to see someone who left home to become a hero, and proceeds to do so.
Right up there with Masamune Date sending a delegation of samurai to Rome to meet the Pope in an attempt to secure an alliance.

I know that you nigger

this, before Tokugawa won Sengoku-bowl, Japan had increasing relations with Europe

>nu
>an old term that's been used for over a hundred years

Must you be purposely stupid?

>saying jap isn't racist
>but it is racist tho
>i know you nig
2/10 made me reply

there's only one proper choice for Veeky Forums culture, and that's calling them elevens

It's not. Pachycephalosaurus is very time-consuming to write, hard to spell, and they aren't likely to take offense anyway.

Jap here. I don't mind people saying Jap unless it's to be offensive on purpose. Have at it you fat ass Yanks.

Depends how he plays it. Depends on the exact setting. Depends on the player, and the group, and so many other factors that your question is reduced to a pointless argument starter.

I've had it happen a couple times. Played very much in the 'Stranger in a strange land' style, a traveller from distant isles come to learn of the world outside of his homeland.

All of this. Look, burgers, literally everywhere else in the world is racist as fuck. It's just you fat fucks trying to make yourselves feel all elitist and superior and being "above" being racist. You aren't superior to us at all; you're just overcompensating for feeling guilty about it.

Get over yourselves and starting opening hate people who aren't like you. It's human nature, and you might as well cut out half the drama from what passes for your culture by accepting it and making it normal and "friendly", rather than shitting yourselves every time somebody calls someone a spic, jap, or whatever.

Polak is the Polish word for Pole but treated as an insult in America through added negative connotations based on stereotypes about Polish immigrants when used by non-Polish speakers.

In a far amount of cases the original negative stereotypes of various racial slurs have been forgotten or inverted. In other cases the negative stereotypes have either been maintained, evolved or new stereotypes have developed.

Calling someone from Pakistan Paki is pretty meaningless unless someone knows the implied negative stereotype.

Jap and Nip have pretty much lost all their negative connotations and the only reason they are still considered racial slurs is due to the knowledge that they were WW2 era racial slurs.

Yank(ee) is similar you needed to add a "fat ass" in order to make it an insult instead of a slang residential identifier.

I mean, if anything the Central Europeans are the worst when it comes to the "guilt" stuff.

sounds like a cool guy

To study and learn and refine the various warfighting techniques and technologies of foreign lands. By the time he's ready to go home he's commissioned himself a suit of plate styled after his traditional family armor (the Armourer was more than pleased to do the commission given the amount of money he was given) and now wields a flintlock pistol and rifle along with his family Daisho set.

>By the time he's ready to go home he's commissioned himself a suit of plate styled after his traditional family armor (the Armourer was more than pleased to do the commission given the amount of money he was given) and now wields a flintlock pistol and rifle along with his family Daisho set.

... why wouldn't he just do that shit at home? The Yurops who went to Japan are the whole reason Samurai had plate armor and firearms in the late middle ages in the first place.

Because it's fantasy.

There we go, see? The armor of THE DRAGON OF ECHIGO. Perfectly serviceable plate armor. Not "full plate" in the classical sense, but still heavy plate armor. The sort of shit that would stop bullets from hand guns.

Maybe he's just a huge westaboo, maybe this was way before traders go to not!Japan and he wanted to be first

Are you telling me there's no Portugal in your setting? Your setting is shit, mate. SHIT.

I've actually been somewhat obsessed with my !Spain and havn't really looked into portugal at all.

What are the high points?

Well if you've already got Spain, the only reason to throw in Portugal is as a counterweight power since notPortugal would essentially be notSpain in every way, from similar culture to advanced degrees of cuntishness.

Think of the Portuges as Science Spain, while Spain is Religious Portugal, except the Portuges were better at the maps.

Depends on why.

>solid concept for a stranger in a strange land
I'm OK with him, he sounds fun to game with.

>wants to be different
Not happy, but we've all been there. I'll I've him a chance.

>just has to be contrary
No thanks. I'm so done with hipster irony

>fetishizes japanese culture
Kill with fire.

Only if this plays anytime he enters a room or does anything.
youtube.com/watch?v=Ap_NkPCkl4c

>not fetishing japanese culture
>not fetishing every culture

Other countries are so interesting though

Did you know that Icelanders make a point of eating the oldest living vertebrates - not species, as in the oldest living vertebrates, with some of them being older than most countries, having been around since the Holy Roman Empire was relevant - not because Greenland Sharks taste good, but rather because Icelanders are spiteful monsters?

reminder that there is nothing wrong with fetishizing a culture
knightfags/crusaderfags do it all the time

Huh, that's kind of hard to unpack. I'll freely admit that my !Spain really only pays homage to certain aesthetics I liked.

>It's a theocratic nation where the !catholic religion is based on a sea diety
>The areas in land were more agrarian and had a religion that was blended into the !chatholic religion when the original 7 Kings went out to unify the country and one of them married into one of the friendlier tribes
>They are very conservative sorts who are big on family and honor and will just as soon stab you for looking at their sisters/wives the wrong way as try and fuck another dudes wife and/or sister.
>Being a theocracy the church is heavily involved in most aspects of life as well as science and education (and sense it was made for a DnD setting they have more clerics and paladins than wizards)

So I guess whatever would be my !portugel would be small but not easily pushed over and culturally similar but cuntish in their own insufferable way?

There's a big difference between finding a culture fascinating it and fetishizing it. There's nothing wrong with reading up on and including details of a relevant culture in a game to flesh out the world. But there is with obsessing over one to the point where you're trying to insert it into settings where it doesn't belong.

Keep Samurai where they belong - Asian medieval fantasy, Wuxia, the Wild West, Cyberpunk, sci-fi, Superhero settings, and generic kitchen sink fantasy like D&D.

Polish American guy here.
Polak might have been a slur a hundred years ago, but it's always been the type of slur that makes you look like an idiot for using it as a slur. It's the kind of thing where it's actually hard to get offended by it even if someone is really trying to offend you.

>not wanting a knight and samurai to fight back to back and constantly butt heads between bushido and chivalry but still fight together for honor

The samurai and knight's place, role, and rules in the feudal order was roughly the same though (except in the HRE but the HRE is retarded and full of weird germans)

This. Fae are a far better Western analog of yokai than demons, and in a lot of cases a better analog of kami than pagan gods. The terms fairy and elf picked up so much baggage from the Romantic Period on, it's not immediate obvious, but if you go back to the old mythology it's a lot more obvious their variety of powers, motivations, and roles correspond.

As long as he isn't full deluded katana folded one million times can cut apart a tank weeb, why would this be a problem? It's reasonably plausible and strange foreign warrior team member is by no means an unheard of trope.

Those are different people you fucking retard.

Thank you so much. This is truth. We can all tease each everyone for being filthy and different but keep it fun then the world is better.

I'm playing as a knight in a meiji japan setting

what's wrong with me

Is he named JET JENKINS?

No, she isn't

MELINDA MEGAMELONS, then.

Or Laura Lita, British Ambassador to Japan

Which was kinda my point and why political correctness doesn't really work. It is what is behind the word that matters rather than the word itself.

Fey, Angels, Demons, Yokai, Kami and God are in many ways just different ways of classifying the same things.

Many people forget that dryads were the goddesses of individual oak trees.

Charlotte?

>Fey, Angels, Demons, Yokai, Kami and God are in many ways just different ways of classifying the same things.

Not really. The fae have more esoteric rules than classical angels and demons. They're also harder to petition.

And unlike occultism demons, they aren't governors of powerful forcers. Occultism demons govern shipwreck, presidencies, ambassadorships to Britain, and so on. Fae mostly hang out in brughs and fuck people over.

>he plays a warrior from a distant culture who's ideals clash with natives at times while also reminding us of the similarities all men share at others, and who brings new insights to the table while having to deal with strategies he's never been trained to handle
I dig it.

The original greek Demon/Daemon/Daimon just referred to lesser divine beings in general with Abrahamic religions converting them into evil beings.

Oh christ, I forgot about that game. Why was the jail a fucking BDSM sex palace?

Nope

To be fair, just about everything in Greek Mythology was some shade of evil anyway.

Well shit, now I'm interested. Do tell me more about this BDSM sex palace.

More personifications of various forces just like Fey, Kami, Angels and Yokai are.

I DM the same way my first DM did when it comes to things like this:
>If you can justify it well and it's not weeb shit, cool.
That's usually enough to weed out the weeaboos and MUH KUTUNUH, and is especially effective against the "my character is 1/2 demon, 1/2 angel, 1/2 vampire 1/2 werewolf 1/2 elf 1/2 dwarf and is secretly SONIC GOKUVERINE.

...though I've never actually had one of those types.

Shut him down because katanas are a highly specialized weapon that are only useful in very specific fights while most Western swords are designed to have as many ways to attack your opponent as possible.

He said he likes to play Samurai. Assuming D&D, that samurai would be able to fight with katana, all kinds of pole weapons, bows, etc easily.

In Riddle of Steel, most fighting would be blossfecthen anyway, so you end up with the amusing red/red situations where the rapier fighter with his longer reach and deadly thrusts gets gutted while impaling the samsam with his sword.

As to "why rapier", well, katanas were a lot like them in terms of the situations you found them in, assuming by "rapier" you understand I mean clothes-swords.

So you're playing Sengoku Rance?

youtube.com/watch?v=KKDdo0rnak8

And here's what happens when you get caught committing a crime or trying to have sex with someone:
youtube.com/watch?v=evHT1-KzXOE

This game is really weird and doesn't even try to hide the sex appeal. I mean, hell, as mentioned before the British Ambassador to Japan is a 14 year old girl named Laura Lita. It's really stupid, and the gameplay makes no fucking sense half the time, but I guess you could pirate it or something.

Saber's probably an even closer metaphor. At the end of the day, the katana is just the epee-style courtly sidearm evolution of Japan's traditional cavalry saber.

It's also really short and there are multiple weird as fuck endings.

I just want to point out that I have never managed to clear the game with Jet Jenkins alive, I think I keep missing a key event

I usually feel the same. If someone wants to have their PC hail from a land far removed from the start of the plot I want backstory darn it. Really like the idea of some foreign conman messing up so bad in their own country that they travel to a different continent and play-up whatever stereotypes are most beneficial at the time while secretly scheming their way through problems.

"I was going to the market to buy some rice and I got lost"

Which is why katana were used for several hundred years as the rank and file nameless grunt sidearm in bloody battlefields, mostly untouched by the aristocrats, before slowly crawling their way up in the Sengoku period.

Thanks user, really appreciate the replies. I'll work this into my Dark Heresy game somehow. I needed some creative new ways to punish my acolytes.

This is actually pretty much what happened in real life. Most of the Japanese trader that were overseas when the country locked down got locked out, so you ended up with the ronin these guys had hired for protection wandering around south america looking for work.

how many ways can you spell faggot?

Grunts mostly had straightswords or the wakizashi as a sort of dirk. The tachi was developed specifically as a cavalry saber, and also a badge of status, in mid-Heian, and while it also saw sometimes use by dismounted men-at-arms it was never really a general issue thing; and then the katana is a smaller, lighter tachi hung in such a way as to discourage quick access in combat.

That sounds amazing

Ashigaru used plenty of weapons, the uchigatana being one of them. They also used spears a bunch. By the time ashigaru became an important force on the battlefield, they were generally fielded using guns.

"likes to play a samurai" in a specifically western setting is weird, but might be passable.

"insists on playing a samurai" in a specifically western (and probably every other) setting is where the problem comes in.

Just look at this thread, can't discuss a bit of anachronistic fantasy without someone bleeding all over about the abbreviation you use for a population group.

I swear, women in Veeky Forums was a mistake.

I'd let it slide, but handicap all of his social interactions. Make it nearly impossible to be liked outside of some sideshow novelty and have most of what he says misunderstood.

Who's worse, the guy who uses WW2 slang to refer to the Japanese or the guy who's being offended on behalf of the Nips because he believes they can't defend themselves.

They don't need the Howaitto Piggu to defend them, and have more than enough Howaitto Piggu memes of their own.

Well the DM allowed it so I don't see the problem.

>OP is that guy
>this is a that guy thread.